Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Win changes nothing

It goes on until certain fans can grasp the reality CH is an out performing manager.

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]I just think the board need to come out and say either theyre behind Hughton and he''s going nowhere or sack him. It''s getting ridiculous when we win a game and it eases things slightly, then the pressure is on heavily again when we lose. How long is the Hughton out thing going to go on for?

I personally don''t think they''ll sack him at the moment. He has injury issues to deal with and we''ve won two on the bounce.[/quote]As long as the Hughton Outers keep pushing it I suppose. In the context of a season there will be good and bad results so I expect the pressure will build and release a bit like blowing up a leaky balloon. I''ve bet he will still be here next year so only 31 days to go on that score.A couple of 5-0 defeats this week could change that of course.

The board know full well that a vote of confidence in the manager shows he''s under pressure and if results don''t improve he''ll be sacked. So they aren''t being drawn into that game.

Football IS a results based business in the end but at the moment we''re 4 points above the drop zone with 1/3rd of the season gone, which is good enough in results terms.

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]I just think the board need to come out and say either theyre behind Hughton and he''s going nowhere or sack him. ....//.....  then the pressure is on heavily again when we lose. [/quote]It''s the last bit I''m curious about, you say the pressure is on heavily again when we lose but what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the "Hootun out" movement or the board and if the board can you share with us how you know this please?

What I mean is, when we win, the pressure eases a bit and we climb the table a bit. If we, say, lose the next 2 or 3 what will happen? Will the board give him more games bearing in mind the injuries? Sorry, I know what I''m trying to say but can''t put it down !!

Yes I agree with the vote of confidence scenario.

I guess it''s message boards like this I need to stop reading with all the Hughton out business!

I''m still undecided what needs to happen. We won yesterday, yes , but we should''ve done anyway.

Can''t believe Hull won 3-1 against Liverpool. I bet Liverpool don''t lose on Wednesday night!

So if we lose the next three what would have been the point of a vote of confidence.They chose him, therefore they have confidence in him. Until such time as they don''t.Like any manager, CH will live or die by the results.

Having heard what an awful game it was I watched the highlights! highlights mind you! and was genuinely surprised.

It was Wes, who only got a game due to injuries, who lightened everything up. It was like watching the Norwich I know and love with Wes linking, pulling strings, bringing others into the game and having us play the Norwich way.

The goal was great and no one else would have found Hooper like that. How RVW must have wondered how he would have performed with service like that, his toe must have healed up just watching.

Redmond had a great game but he doesn''t have a pass like that in him, when he learns he will be a great player. He had a chance to play something similar but blazed over instead.

So, through circumstance over design Hughton has found the player we miss. Wes might not be the player to start with at Liverpool and he is best in the centre but he has to play much! much more.

At Newcastle the players gave away sloppy goals! as they did against Newcastle. None of them were Hughton''s fault. But the performances were miles better than earlier in the season.

Seven points from three home games is a good return.

Witness gutless Fulham and see how our players are trying to fight their way back into the season.

All this will count for little if we get another white flag performance at Liverpool. We may not win but we must compete and deny Liverpool that first goal first half, get into the game and as a minimum make them earn whatever they get. We will get chances, we CAN take something.

Getting rid of Hughton could be a Pyrrhic victory if Norwich are turning it around and the signs are there that they are.

Just had to sign up and join in

Just read down this board and cannot believe some of you are NCFC fans, or maybe you are 14 years old or just attended your first ever football match. I cannot believe the reaction to yesterday''s game, Palarse had just got a new manager which normally results in a win, we played really well and got the 3 points, and for some to say Palarse are a shit team I just don''t know wot game you were watching. If you are ST holders I wish you would give them up and let some real fans have a go because you have obviously lost the plot

We are all experts now. The internet has given us a sense of our own importance. Where once we wrote to the pink un, we now hold forth on the social media. Its just another aspect of the modern game, and one which people like McNally factor in. The truth is we all know very little about the game and have very little influence. Chase out.

[quote user="Haasman"]Just had to sign up and join in

Just read down this board and cannot believe some of you are NCFC fans, or maybe you are 14 years old or just attended your first ever football match. I cannot believe the reaction to yesterday''s game, Palarse had just got a new manager which normally results in a win, we played really well and got the 3 points, and for some to say Palarse are a shit team I just don''t know wot game you were watching. If you are ST holders I wish you would give them up and let some real fans have a go because you have obviously lost the plot[/quote]

Haasman, welcome aboard.

[quote user="ricardo"]So if we lose the next three what would have been the point of a vote of confidence.They chose him, therefore they have confidence in him. Until such time as they don''t.Like any manager, CH will live or die by the results.[/quote]

I think it''s the message boards going crazy that winds me (and a lot of others) up.

Im also surprised how many fans thought yesterday''s game was dire. The first half, I thought, was quite good. Second half, not so good.

I have found it very curious that before the match there plentiful posts claiming that new manager plus the thrill of winning at Hull meant we were in real trouble playing a resurgent Palace. We would be lucky to draw.

Now we have beaten them, Palace are suddenly and unanimously a relegation bound pants team.

Oh the joy of hindsight. Oh the fickleness of those who just want Hughton to fail!

It''s interesting how the mood changes with the ups and downs we get week in week out. We win some, lose some and draw some. Sometimes we win when it''s really not expected and sometimes we lose when it''s really not expected. That''s really the definition of a football season and most of them are exactly like that. Of course sometimes we win more than half our games. But if we do that in this league we will more than likely qualify for the CL.

[quote user="Haasman"]Thanks mate, but I think I am far to positive to last very long[/quote]The mood changes quicker than the wind.

[quote user="RvW''s 4 year contract"][quote user="Norwich or die tryin"]Yesterday was the worst iv ever seen us play and win.[/quote]Really?

REALLY?

Obviously only been watching us since...hmmm...Tuesday?

"Really?

REALLY?"

Reckon he must be a young un.

We''ve had some dreadful teams over the years. Seems some people''s memory of NCFC doesn''t extend back more than four or five years.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Awful performance yesterday. 2nd half in particular we were absolutely dire.

Palace are a poor poor side and will go down bottom of the league and we scraped a 1-0 win. Of course the Hughton apologists will think everything is alright and walk around with a smug look on their face as if they were and still are right all along.

But we all know we face two away losses and two more abject away performances.

How much longer do we have to endure this? I dont enjoy matches anymore, the 2nd half yesterday was terrible and Palace could have easily won had Bassongs slice gone in and Jerome not missed a sitter. But its the manner of our performance, so flat and uninspiring.[/quote]

If I was you Bootsie I''d get down the bookies and have a bet on that certainty about Palace finishing bottom. The arrogance of you and others like you is astounding. Palace''s 2 previous games were a win  at Hull and a 0-0 draw with Everton. They are not the results of a team which will, certainly finish bottom. Two consecutive premier clean sheets are unusual for such nailed on bottom teams.

You invite abuse by looking for a fight with who you call Hughton apologists and I expect those very same people have a wide smile reading your post and imagining you banging away on the keyboard with a face like a slapped arse. Even Glovey''s flying around the board today trying to cover his options. Maybe he''s not quite as arrogant as you...

[/quote]

Any chance you could just contribute your opinion instead of just hurling abuse? And apparently im a the arrogant one.[/quote]

Excuse me Bootsie? Where have I just hurled abuse? I was replying to your post about Palace being certain to finish bottom and how the Hughton apologists would be walking around with a smug face. If you didn''t want those opinions debated then why post them?

One man''s abuse is another''s reasonable post it would seem...

[/quote]

Excuse me, Nigel. I count being called arrogant as abuse. But of course you chose to omit that part in your reply didnt you.[/quote]

I would say that your whole opening post was one of arrogance in an abusive manner and if you can''t debate in that manner then perhaps you should tone down your posts to what would be acceptable in the replies.

[/quote]

Oh do give it a rest Nigel and get off your high horse your making yourself look silly.

How on earth is my original post arrogant and abusive? Its people like you that ruin this board, you cant just debate a point can you, you have to start calling people arrogant and saying there abusive.

Utter rubbish.[/quote]

If you regard being called arrogant as abuse then you must be being abused on a very regular basis.

Looking at this and your spats with Tilly, you really are a cry baby. If you can''t take it, don''t dish it out.[/quote]

Thats my point tho you f@&£&@ moron, i wasnt dishing it out. I made a post with my opinion and as always the usual suspects start with the goading and abuse.

And before Tilson says it, why do all my threads end up like this, cause it aint me starting the goading and taunting comments. And Hughton apologists isnt goading, its a generality.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Point proven.

Thank you. Debate, such as it is, over.[/quote]

Theres no point proven there at all, what do you expect me to say when called a cry baby? And your comment was incorrect nonsense.

Well done, youd make an awesome politican. "Look, this guy has an aggressive, retaliatory nature, look while i hit him repeatedly with this stick, keep watching he''s gonna get agressive in a minute....ouch, see, he got agressive."

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"] And before Tilson says it, why do all my threads end up like this,

[/quote]

Thanks for the invite onto this thread but for six pages I was more than happy to sit back and watch the train crash known as Huckerbys Boots self destruct yet again.Mind you I now fully expect some effing and jeffing if not on here in a PM.[:D]

If you don''t want people to regard you as an idiot, why do you start a post with a statement that is factually incorrect?

[quote user="ron obvious"]If you don''t want people to regard you as an idiot, why do you start a post with a statement that is factually incorrect?[/quote]

Well what a surprise, another taunting insulting comment. Now thats an example of point proven Cambridge.

@Huckerby''s boots: I provided the debate you sorely wanted but I see you have chosen to prefer insulting others. My best advice for any internet forum is that if you want to have reasoned debate without insult that you ignore those that you feel are being antagonistic and engage with those who are opening debate.

However all I can take from this thread is that you are just looking to wind people up.

@Norwich or die tryin!: "Yesterday was the worst iv ever seen us play and win."

That shocks me. I have seen games where we have barely put a move together to win with a scrappy goal from a corner or some-such. I remember the game away to Reading on our promotion season where we had failed to break down a resolute Reading defence and to create any sort of meaningful effort on goal only for the ball to hit the ref, Mulryne to turn and volley the ball past the keeper and into the net.

I have also witnessed some pretty woeful Norwich teams grind out some ugly, horrific wins that even on cold winter nights under the floodlights meant you had to cover your eyes at times, like a horror show.

@alex ncfc: "positional placing means naff all at this stage of the seasons, it''s about points on the board, and we are still right in the mix down the bottom."

Actually that is not true. It''s about both and risk. Say you have Man City next - would you rather be 4 points clear of the relegation zone but in 16th or four points clear in say 10th? The more teams we put between ourselves and the relegation zone the better, especially when you have a tough fixture coming up next. It means there are teams bellow us that need results more than us, each one is like a lifeline.

Also -"Plus our goal difference tells you everything and sticks out like a sore thumb."

Ahh, but like positioning, goal difference doesn''t tell you everything. We have played Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea - the goal difference from those games alone is -12. There are teams in or around us who have only played two of the perceived top four (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City) so far and whose goal difference is marginally better. Now I am not saying being beaten by Man City 7-0 was a good performance or result, just that goal difference in itself is no indicator of anything in terms of the league table. You are better comparing like for like to find a good measure.

As for people saying silly things about Palace and Pulis - to prove your point you are totally discrediting a team that are fighting for their lives and have absolutely nothing to lose. They certainly didn''t just role over yesterday, they fought and in the second half dug in really well - but at the end of the day lacked any sort of real quality to hurt us. That doesn''t make them poor. Poor teams can still be well disciplined in defence. Defending is far easier to coach and instil in players than trying to show and coach players how to be creative and skill full.

It has been said that good teams win no matter what, they can win convincingly, they can win ugly and sometimes, despite not playing at their best for 90mins they can grind out a win.

Yesterday we dominated the first half bar perhaps one counter attack. To the point that we really probably should have had more goals.

There is only two ways it can go after that in the second half, the opposition will dig in and make it harder and give you more of a game of it or they won''t and you''ll continue to have success. It''s football. They made things harder for us but thats about it - 60% possession doesn''t suggest they had the ball for very long.

It''s difficult for these threads not to become personal slanging fests because the underlying arguement really isn''t about the team or the manager but more about the expectations of some posters.

We''re in 14th position and a fair way into the season. What''s not to like about it.

We''re not a rubbish team. We''re an inconsistent team, and a lot of that inconsistency seems to be down to self-belief. The manager can only do so much but once the players have crossed over the touchline then it''s up to them.

But the expectations of many posters outrun the reality. 14th and winning isn''t good enough. But they don''t seem to be able to say what it is they want. Last season, we had a run of poor performances but still managed to pick up enough points for us to always be around 13-14th until the 3rd game from the end. Last season''s Hughton bashing was because of dire performances, even though Hughton fufilled his brief.

This season we''ve improved performances with better players, even if inconsistently, but the Hughton outers change their tune. Now they tell us it''s all about results. And when we win against palace it''s flip-flop time and it''s the manner of the win that upsets them, Oh children of Wiz!

Actually, I blame TV for this. Not televised football, but the hundreds of reality TV shows where contestants get booted off if they fail to perform well in that particular week, regardless of how good they''ve been in the past. TV has created a viewing audience that has the attention-span of around 45 minutes.

So one bad result and everybody wants Hughton''s blood. One good result and we''re back on the fence.

There''s no context, no big picture. It''s just I want to be entertained and I want it now. I want a big red button on my tv remote control to vote Hughton out because I wasn''t entertained.

Sure everybody wants to see us win well with fine football on display, but if you watch football for entertainment alone as many seem to, then maybe you''d be better off spending the weekend at your local garden centre.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]It''s difficult for these threads not to become personal slanging fests because the underlying arguement really isn''t about the team or the manager but more about the expectations of some posters.

We''re in 14th position and a fair way into the season. What''s not to like about it.

We''re not a rubbish team. We''re an inconsistent team, and a lot of that inconsistency seems to be down to self-belief. The manager can only do so much but once the players have crossed over the touchline then it''s up to them.

But the expectations of many posters outrun the reality. 14th and winning isn''t good enough. But they don''t seem to be able to say what it is they want. Last season, we had a run of poor performances but still managed to pick up enough points for us to always be around 13-14th until the 3rd game from the end. Last season''s Hughton bashing was because of dire performances, even though Hughton fufilled his brief.

This season we''ve improved performances with better players, even if inconsistently, but the Hughton outers change their tune. Now they tell us it''s all about results. And when we win against palace it''s flip-flop time and it''s the manner of the win that upsets them, Oh children of Wiz!

Actually, I blame TV for this. Not televised football, but the hundreds of reality TV shows where contestants get booted off if they fail to perform well in that particular week, regardless of how good they''ve been in the past. TV has created a viewing audience that has the attention-span of around 45 minutes.

So one bad result and everybody wants Hughton''s blood. One good result and we''re back on the fence.

There''s no context, no big picture. It''s just I want to be entertained and I want it now. I want a big red button on my tv remote control to vote Hughton out because I wasn''t entertained.

Sure everybody wants to see us win well with fine football on display, but if you watch football for entertainment alone as many seem to, then maybe you''d be better off spending the weekend at your local garden centre.[/quote]

Top post!

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]It''s difficult for these threads not to become personal slanging fests because the underlying arguement really isn''t about the team or the manager but more about the expectations of some posters.

Sure everybody wants to see us win well with fine football on display, but if you watch football for entertainment alone as many seem to, then maybe you''d be better off spending the weekend at your local garden centre.[/quote]

I''ve been struggling with this issue and approached it from the effect of social media and the narrowing of language. Everything is either brilliant or rubbish with little nuance in between.

your point takes the argument from a different direction and your analysis is accurate and perceptive. Thank you.

I think it''s quite obvious what we want rock the boat, a manager that instils belief into the team and a we won''t get beaten attitude like his predecessor would. A manager that doesn''t "big up the opposition" on Saturday I was expecting an " it''s an amazing 3 points as palace are a top top side" out of his mouth. I want to see positive football from a team that''s much improved from two years ago when they were fearless. It was FAR more entertaining. I''m not saying go at it like blackpool but at least have a bit of attack minded play. OTBC