Sign in to follow this  
morty

Booing your team.

[quote user="Buh"]The "I''m a customer and I pays me money" thing gets me every time You are supporting a football club, not buying a sofa.[/quote]

Like it or not you are a customer, you can also be a supporter, but you are a customer.

I liken booing to when you go and see a comedian and his perfromance is pants, he gets heckled and sometimes booed (I was at a Billy Connoly gig in London where this happened a good few years back).....if the players don''t turn up for the game, then I suppose the customer has the right to view their opinion and that too of any fan. It doesn''t make them any less of a fan if they show their frustrations, but I too would not boo where we are now. How can anyone complain about the effort against Cardiff is beyond.

I too would never boo my team.

I sit in the Barclay and have to endure the T W A T behind booing and moaning for the majority of the game. It pisses me off no end!

Too many people expect us to play like Barca!

Despite what we have spent we do not have the players to compete with the big boys. Occasionally most of the players will have a great game on the same day which is when we get a good result against a top team.

Staying in this league would still be a great achievement, please lets be realistic!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="morty"]Lol Wiz, do you boo at your computer screen?

[;)]

[/quote]

No because he''s deaf and dumb...

Apparently. [:|][/quote]

Idiot!............I can still boo.................and fart.

[/quote]

I expect at your age you frequently follow through.

[quote user="Indy"]

[quote user="Buh"]The "I''m a customer and I pays me money" thing gets me every time You are supporting a football club, not buying a sofa.[/quote]

Like it or not you are a customer, you can also be a supporter, but you are a customer.

I liken booing to when you go and see a comedian and his perfromance is pants, he gets heckled and sometimes booed (I was at a Billy Connoly gig in London where this happened a good few years back).....if the players don''t turn up for the game, then I suppose the customer has the right to view their opinion and that too of any fan. It doesn''t make them any less of a fan if they show their frustrations, but I too would not boo where we are now. How can anyone complain about the effort against Cardiff is beyond.

[/quote]

In the same vein as a comedian being heckled then people should not be surprised if the player gives a bit of critisism back?

I understand I am a customer, but the club is so much more to me than a purchase. The club represents where I come from and the community I live in. There will always be good and bad elements to it but at its core it is the very essence of Norfolk.

I don''t want to get all Churchill on anyone but I love that. Best thing about the club. We are so unique and no-one can take that from us.

Entertainment is a part of football and you can be entertained by the performance on the pitch, by the characters in the game and even by the buzz of the crowd.

But entertainment is a very small part of what supporting a team is all about. We talk about plastics vs. true fans and much of the difference is that plastics choose a team in order to be entertained.

I, like the majority of fans, didn''t choose my team, I was born into it. I''m a City fan because my grandfather was a fan in the 1920''s, as was my Dad later, and as I have brought up my kid to be a supporter.

Norwich City is a part of me and I am a part of Norwich City. I am bonded to my County of Norfolk and to my fellow Norfolk lads by my football club,, the city, the Norman Castle in the centre of town and the Cathedral. These are all icons that make part of me who I am.

To boo my football team in my eyes would not be a failing in the football team but a failing in myself. It''s simply inconceivable that I could boo.

Entertainment is always good to see, but it''s really a bonus when you put it against the disapointments, the heartbreaks, the agonies and the discomforts that we put ourselves through to support our team. And when it gets tough, as it has from time to time over the past twelve months then you just have to dig deep inside yourself, just as the players have to do, and find the mental strength to give more support during the difficult times.

Anybody can cheer when the going is easy but if you want to boo because you''re not entertained then go and find another form of entertainment.

Comparing support of your local team to going to a Billy Connolly gig in London is to fundamentally misunderstand what being a football supporter is all about and you ought to seriously reconsider your reasons for attending matches at Carrow Road.

Finally, while I said that we are born into supporting Norwich City, I really do admire non-Norfolk people who have adopted our club as their team, for the right reasons. Some of the foreign guys post on this site with a passion that put a few locals to shame.

Well done Robert Snodgrass for speaking out.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Customers / Supporters

Who''d have thunk it...

[/quote]

Without customers there would there be anyone to support? Buying a scarf, replica shirt etc.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Customers / Supporters

Who''d have thunk it...

[/quote]

Without customers there would there be anyone to support? Buying a scarf, replica shirt etc.

[/quote]

Nope....

Not getting dragged into this one....

[H]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Customers / Supporters

Who''d have thunk it...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope....

Not getting dragged into this one....

[H]

[/quote]

You know you want to!!!!!

Actually that aside I''m behind Snodders 100%.

Since 1905 Norwich City have spent just 23 seasons in the top division so far and although I can''t claim to have been around that long I have spent well over 50 years supporting the team belonging to the city where I was born and brought up, like my father before me.During that time there has been an awful lot of dross served up as football that I have endured and quietly suffered, but at no time has my support ever wavered and at no time have I ever booed my team, the manager or the board. I certainly have subjected various referees to verbal abuse and I would have definitely loved to have bumped into Roeder on a dark night, but that''s another matter.You pick your team to support, or it selects you, but that support has to be constant and unwavering. You cannot opt out when the going gets tough.

[quote user="Orford65"]Since 1905 Norwich City have spent just 23 seasons in the top division so far and although I can''t claim to have been around that long I have spent well over 50 years supporting the team belonging to the city where I was born and brought up, like my father before me.During that time there has been an awful lot of dross served up as football that I have endured and quietly suffered, but at no time has my support ever wavered and at no time have I ever booed my team, the manager or the board. I certainly have subjected various referees to verbal abuse and I would have definitely loved to have bumped into Roeder on a dark night, but that''s another matter.You pick your team to support, or it selects you, but that support has to be constant and unwavering. You cannot opt out when the going gets tough.[/quote]
Well said sir.

So if that''s the case where were all the supporters prior to 2003-2004? We only averaged between 13,000 - 16,000 average as I remember!

I totally agree, I have been watching City since 1977, (along with my home town of Oxford) but I still stand by what I said, I have booed, a few times during the dark days, maybe I got carried away with the crowd but I admit to booing!

That said, I can''t see what we have to boo about! We are in the top league and now 15th, this is why I''m staying on the fence regarding Hughton and fully agree with Snodders on this one!

Year ago treason was a hanging offence.  Now I''m glad they no longer do away with people who are found guilty of treason, but the severity of treason is still there.  To me, booing is treason.   Its just something you don''t do to your own.  It may be a last resort in the direst of situations, but we''re in the premiership with everything to play for, hardly a last resort.   Some people have no clue about what they do or when they do it.   They just open their mouths and all that comes out is poo.   Perhaps someone ought to tell the booers the difference between the functions of their bodily orifices.  Come to think of it, leave it alone - more sense probably comes out of their back sides...........

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Customers / Supporters. Who''d have thunk it...[/quote]Without customers there would there be anyone to support? Buying a scarf, replica shirt etc.[/quote]Customers / Supporters....but of course, there is another group...........Followers. [:O]These are the people who never go to games, buy merchandise or subscribe to sports channels but simply follow the fortunes of our team thanks to free streams. They can''t really be classed as customers, supporters or fans as they don''t donate anything to the club. Some of them probably even post on here, after all ....it is free. [:$]Altogether now....Follow The Ball City. [:D]

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]I would suggest that anyone who says they didn''t boo AT ALL towards the end of the Roeder era may be telling Porkies.[/quote]Not me Sunshine. Head in hands and much cursing maybe!

Same here. I wouldn''t have booed them, just not applaud them off the pitch. A weak show of dissatisfaction but hey......

Never booed

During roeder and that whole messy time I was too busy swearing at the top of my voice or just in devastated silence.

Or sobbing into a pie.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Customers / Supporters. Who''d have thunk it...[/quote]Without customers there would there be anyone to support? Buying a scarf, replica shirt etc.[/quote]Customers / Supporters....but of course, there is another group...........Followers. [:O]These are the people who never go to games, buy merchandise or subscribe to sports channels but simply follow the fortunes of our team thanks to free streams. They can''t really be classed as customers, supporters or fans as they don''t donate anything to the club. Some of them probably even post on here, after all ....it is free. [:$]Altogether now....Follow The Ball City. [:D]

[/quote]

you would think that after some 70 years (or what ever it is) they might want to visit the place where it all happens .......... if only to express their disatisfication at the club by hawking on one part of the ground

or even to check if ''Follow the Ball City'' is being sung at the correct speed

but as you say Mr Lapland you can so easily keep involved via the various media outlets

.................... even dear old radio Norfolk has subtitles nowadays

I am a bit confused here Lapp as these ''followers'' who don''t attend games have their own song which is sung both home and away by the fans/customers.

Follow...Follow....Follow....Follow the boys in yellow. [*-)]

Hmmm, from a personal point of view I would never boo the team, I have been known to direct my ire at a certain chairman (and I have still got the mug to prove it), and one or two managers. That said I defend the right of fans to show their displeasure, what i would say is that if you feel the need to boo try to remember it is a bit "one size fits all", you may be booing the manager, but the players will think you are booing them, some may be motivated by it, but it could destroy the confidence of others, if you still think booing will help then go right ahead......

Maybe booing is actually constructive.....lets the fuggers know that they need to up the tempo......Maybe a ''thumbs up or thumbs down'' after the event, and final whistle would be more acceptable?

I personally, don''t or never will BOO! but I do discuss the quality of the performance in the boozer after the game.....But, if folk feel the need to boo, well, they duz pays their Wonga and have every right to wail....because in reality - do the playing squad at the end of the day, actually care what the customer thinks? I bet when they collect their wages they fuggin don''t......

If you have shite service and the quality of the offerings in an eating establishment are sub-standard......Do you not wanting to ''rock the boat'' just stay schtum, and with personal restraint just bite your lip - and therefore, without wishing to draw attention to yourself, cheerfully consume the inferior offerings and put on an ironic aesthetic smile and without recourse just  pay your bill... but bleat like a lost lamb on the way home about the service to your fellow diners? That''s the trouble with folks that follow football.....Don''t complain, because the ''easily pleased'' will get on your case and label you a ''negative ninny''....

I quite frankly, don''t give a fog if folk wish to boo or air their discontent if a performance is unacceptable.....If I wasn''t on top of my game.....No Booing......Just a P45.    

Does it sound different if 25, 000 people moan, curse, yell frustratingly and voice dissatisfaction or if they boo?

Everyone here admits to the former but nobody to the latter. And yet the booing happened.

Or did it?

Well, I booed at the end of Poirot last night, what a bloody shambles that was.  And I''ve started booing whenever that Forsythe fellow appears on Strictly Come Dancing and tells one of his "jokes". 

Houston Canary wrote the following post at 14/11/2013 1:40 AM:

Does it sound different if 25, 000 people moan, curse, yell frustratingly and voice dissatisfaction or if they boo?

Everyone here admits to the former but nobody to the latter. And yet the booing happened.

Or did it?

Lol

Maybe there are posters who only boo in the closet!