Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Toby set to visit Norwich

Three day stay booked in under our chief scout ewen chester. If its true that this is for Toby to meet ncfc and check out the surroundings then he would need to leave ajax within the next two days. Anyone know what ajax''s pre season schedule is?

i thought there season had started. i think they played cup game at weekend, bit like our charity shield

Yes , it''s called the "Johan Cruijf Schaal" and they won it. Alderweireld was captain I think...

The Dutch press seem to have reported that he is still very keen to move away from Ajax and does not want to have to run his contract down. He has been Linked with both Liverpool and Everton but neither have bid. I suspect Everton are short of cash as normal and Liverpool seem to be embroiled in the Suarez situation. He did not discount our offer in terms of the size and status of the club more on the basis of the package offered, who knows how big the difference was between player and club. Since then we have signed Fer and Hooper, which have to be attractive developments, mainly down to the package and if anyone bigger than us choose to bid. I think in defensive terms he would be a top top signing and the bookies still have us heavily linked. He may have to make his mind up soon if indeed talks are to be resumed I hope so.

I have a feeling he will sign a new contract with Ajax soon - he has recently come out and said that although he is ''ready'' for a transfer he would be happy to stay at Ajax (and why not, great club on a upward curve at the moment).

Both Liverpool and Everton are in a situation where they need to sell before they can buy - which Norwich might be able to take advantage of but in all honesty I think he''d rather stay at Ajax another year than leave for Norwich right now.

Forgot to say;

This thread makes no sense. Why would he need a hotel in Norwich? He''s in Amsterdam and can be in the Norwich in not much over an hour, also there is no way Ajax are going to let their captain go off to Norwich for 3 days (!) the week before their season kicks off. Also, I doubt Norwich book rooms in the name of their head scout for these kind of things.

An attempted wind up, done very poorly.

Bethnal, as I understand it we have already agreed a fee with Ajax. Therefore a three day stay in Norwich gives our ''sales'' team time to show him around the club, the stadium. Colney, meet the players and be shown around the city. That cannot be done in a few hours.

[quote user="Surfbird"]Bethnal, as I understand it we have already agreed a fee with Ajax. Therefore a three day stay in Norwich gives our ''sales'' team time to show him around the club, the stadium. Colney, meet the players and be shown around the city. That cannot be done in a few hours.[/quote]

Would be incredibly unusual for a player to be given 3 days off in the run up to a game, especially when they are the team captain - most players have to make the decision to switch clubs on a few hours of ''touring''. It wouldn''t take 3 days to show Alderweireld the city centre, stadium and Colney, that''s probably a days worth at most.

Don''t read too much significance into Norwich agreeing a fee for Alderweireld, due to Bayern Leverkusen agreeing a fee for the player earlier in the summer, but being unable to agree terms, the amount Ajax will accept is pretty well known.

RVW was in Norwich for a few days when he came here for contract discussions etc.

If Ajax are trying to sell him and he wants to leave then it makes sense.

If he doesn''t then I doubt he would come at all.

Of course if it is under Ewan Chester''s name it could be any of our transfer targets - not necessarily Toby.

Of course, it could be for three players, one day each. Then again, it could be Chester himself reporting in to McNally after a good years work before he leaves for his hols. [<:o)]

Perhaps he''s followed up some of Tilly''s suggestions and scouted himself a fresh bit of skirt and booked her in for three days of pampering?

Who knows?

[quote user="chicken"]Perhaps he''s followed up some of Tilly''s suggestions and scouted himself a fresh bit of skirt and booked her in for three days of pampering?

Who knows?[/quote]It''s starting to make sense now. I''ve just discovered Wednesday is National Orgasm day. The question is, has he booked the room for himself or Tilly? [8-)]

It''s not like a team to sell their captain...........or is it?

To be honest I take this with the pinch of salt it deserves. I''ll wait till it''s signed and sealed before getting excited.

Thats quite a list of clubs to be associated with:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/toby-alderweireld/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Hereford, the obvious conclusions to draw from that list are that either A) We''re trying for players who should by all rights be out of our league, or B) We are Big Time ;)

Or.... his agent has had a word in a few ears and is trying to drum up some interest.

[quote user="HerefordCanary"]Thats quite a list of clubs to be associated with:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/toby-alderweireld/club-after-summer-transfer-window[/quote]
Worth keeping an eye on the market for movement.  It''s probably more reliable than twatter.

It may take longer than normal to tour the city if he does the charity gorillas walk.

I''m not sure why the op didn''t know if Ajax season had started so I understand Bethnal''s wind up concern.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]It may take longer than normal to tour the city if he does the charity gorillas walk. I''m not sure why the op didn''t know if Ajax season had started so I understand Bethnal''s wind up concern.[/quote]

The op is Michael Bates. I think we may have heard of his son.

[quote user="Number 9"]Can you imagine it, in the restaurant at Dunston, relaxing after his meal and McNally pipes up " who fancies game of cards? Ever played poker Toby my lad?"

He will have to sign up to pay McNASTY back.[/quote]

This board needs a ''like'' button. That made me lol.

I''m not a huge follower of the dutch leagues and so didn''t realise that they have already got their season underway. This is not a wind up at all, Its 100% fact that there has been a last minute 3 day stay booked at Dunston Hall under Ewan Chester and is believed to be for the Ajax defender to visit Norwich. With regards to Webbo, not sure if i''m missing a joke here or you think i''m someone else? I definitely don''t have a son yet! (Although hopeful of one in the future so he can maybe play for NCFC one day ) :D

The most obvious conclusion would be that a room booked in the name of our chief scout is for our chief scout. With his job there is no real need for him to live in the area.

By far the biggest jump in logic on this thread though is Houston''s assursion that if you have a friend who works in a hotel, you should therefore know when the Dutch football season starts!

That''s very brave of you, SOB - think you''d be sticking your neck out more by saying that he WILL be signing ;)

Anyway, I think we can safely say Toby''s name is one of those rumours that CH alluded to being wide of the mark. Would love to see it happen but I''m in agreement with those that don''t think it will now...