Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Hughton is killing my love of football!

I''ve been a season ticket holder since about 1995. I used to love going to home matches and the odd away match when I could. However watching us under this negative, stubborn tactically inept manager has literally put me right off! Starting home games with one up front, knowing before you even go that there''s a good chance we may not even have a shot at goal. Games where the opposition has been there for the taking, with a slight attacking change needed, what happens?? Chris says no if we attack we might lose, let''s take a point! Subs made in the 85th minute very rarely make a difference!!! I know I''m bound to be attacked for having this opinion, and told to " go support Ipswich" well I have given up my season ticket for next year. I know while he keeps us up, ( if he keeps us up) then his job is safe. I just can''t bare to watch it.

Well said OP, while I wouldn''t give up my season ticket, the entertainment level has been non existent in 90% of games this season, and I used to think Stoke were an insult to the PL, but we are no better.

[quote user="now youve gotta believe us"]I''ve been a season ticket holder since about 1995. I used to love going to home matches and the odd away match when I could. However watching us under this negative, stubborn tactically inept manager has literally put me right off! Starting home games with one up front, knowing before you even go that there''s a good chance we may not even have a shot at goal. Games where the opposition has been there for the taking, with a slight attacking change needed, what happens?? Chris says no if we attack we might lose, let''s take a point! Subs made in the 85th minute very rarely make a difference!!! I know I''m bound to be attacked for having this opinion, and told to " go support Ipswich" well I have given up my season ticket for next year. I know while he keeps us up, ( if he keeps us up) then his job is safe. I just can''t bare to watch it.[/quote]I find it hard to believe that you sat through the Rioch, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder eras and you think Hughton is the "negative, stubborn tactically inept" one.Contra to your user name, I''m not sure you''re telling the truth and this isn''t just message board bravado?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="now youve gotta believe us"]I''ve been a season ticket holder since about 1995. I used to love going to home matches and the odd away match when I could. However watching us under this negative, stubborn tactically inept manager has literally put me right off! Starting home games with one up front, knowing before you even go that there''s a good chance we may not even have a shot at goal. Games where the opposition has been there for the taking, with a slight attacking change needed, what happens?? Chris says no if we attack we might lose, let''s take a point! Subs made in the 85th minute very rarely make a difference!!! I know I''m bound to be attacked for having this opinion, and told to " go support Ipswich" well I have given up my season ticket for next year. I know while he keeps us up, ( if he keeps us up) then his job is safe. I just can''t bare to watch it.[/quote]I find it hard to believe that you sat through the Rioch, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder eras and you think Hughton is the "negative, stubborn tactically inept" one.Contra to your user name, I''m not sure you''re telling the truth and this isn''t just message board bravado?[/quote]I completely agree about Hamilton, Rioch et al but none of them inherited a performing squad. A squad that were brilliant last year and only needed a couple of tweaks, not an overhaul. Imagine if Bassong and Turner had been our CB''s last year with Snoddy on the RHS of the diamond.......Im purring!

I agree with OP. We were poor today as usaul apart from 20 minutes it didnt look like we wanted it

Just to add, quite simply we have not improved. Yes we have kept more clean sheets but you will get them if you have 6 defensive players on the pitch.We cant even pass the ball. We have gone backwards.People talk about how tough the 2nd season is and how we wouldnt have survived under Pl.....Well....next year is CH''s 2nd season and i cant see how his philosophies and set up are going to change. He is the guy to give a club stability (Brum & Toon, were perfect) but not the man to take a club forward. I can see why Toon got rid.

Well said, we most definitely have gone backwards, as has the development of our players, it''s sad to watch!

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="now youve gotta believe us"]I''ve been a season ticket holder since about 1995. I used to love going to home matches and the odd away match when I could. However watching us under this negative, stubborn tactically inept manager has literally put me right off! Starting home games with one up front, knowing before you even go that there''s a good chance we may not even have a shot at goal. Games where the opposition has been there for the taking, with a slight attacking change needed, what happens?? Chris says no if we attack we might lose, let''s take a point! Subs made in the 85th minute very rarely make a difference!!! I know I''m bound to be attacked for having this opinion, and told to " go support Ipswich" well I have given up my season ticket for next year. I know while he keeps us up, ( if he keeps us up) then his job is safe. I just can''t bare to watch it.[/quote]I find it hard to believe that you sat through the Rioch, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder eras and you think Hughton is the "negative, stubborn tactically inept" one.Contra to your user name, I''m not sure you''re telling the truth and this isn''t just message board bravado?[/quote]I completely agree about Hamilton, Rioch et al but none of them inherited a performing squad. A squad that were brilliant last year and only needed a couple of tweaks, not an overhaul. Imagine if Bassong and Turner had been our CB''s last year with Snoddy on the RHS of the diamond.......Im purring![/quote]

Hard one. They didn''t inherit performing squads but if i remember towards the end of last season there was some glaring defensive problems within the team which this forum was all over like a bad rash.

We didn''t have enough money in the summer to strengthen significantly in all areas but the one place nearly everyone agreed needed strengthening was defensively. We''ve done that.

I do have to say, however, you wouldn''t be alone, purring at the idea of that team.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Well said, we most definitely have gone backwards, as has the development of our players, it''s sad to watch![/quote]

We scored 52 goals last season the way to securing 47 points.

This season, with 6 games left to play, we have scored only 30 goals and have 35 points.

So I can only agree. It does look like we''ve gone backwards this season.

Totally agree with the OP. As a season ticket holder totally enjoyed Div One and the buzz went to most of the away games, went to all but two of the Championship games away and several away games last season always felt we would have a go. This season it is hard to get the enthusiasm to go to Carrow Road Hughton''s tactics are totally uninspiring.

One incident summed up things for me today when Bradley Johnson was driving through and went tumbling out of play the fans shouting out his name, if you give it everything the fans will get behind you, I dont mind losing if we go for it and are beaten by a better team but that limp performance in many parts today was poor.

I can now realise why Newcastle got rid of even if we stay up cant see much changing for next season. 

Hughton is 90% to blame, for someone who said that the home games were so important, today''s starting formation was showing a distinct lack of intention. The players were not faultless either, they looked nervous until we were 2-1 up. We remain in trouble.

Well i sat through a 7-1 defeat to Colchester in League One, so forgive me if i don''t throw my toys out of the pram because we drew with a very good midtable Premier-League side.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

Totally agree with the OP. As a season ticket holder totally enjoyed Div One and the buzz went to most of the away games, went to all but two of the Championship games away and several away games last season always felt we would have a go. This season it is hard to get the enthusiasm to go to Carrow Road Hughton''s tactics are totally uninspiring.

One incident summed up things for me today when Bradley Johnson was driving through and went tumbling out of play the fans shouting out his name, if you give it everything the fans will get behind you, I dont mind losing if we go for it and are beaten by a better team but that limp performance in many parts today was poor.

I can now realise why Newcastle got rid of even if we stay up cant see much changing for next season. 

[/quote]

You''d rather we lose and see us play gung ho football than take the point we got today against a very good side?

How odd.

I guess you didn''t see us commit almost the entire team forward for a set piece in the dying seconds of the game looking for the winner?

Mr chops wrote:

I find it hard to believe that you sat through the Rioch, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder eras and you think Hughton is the "negative, stubborn tactically inept" one.

And you think Hughton is better? A manager whose tactics, team selection and inability to change both during a game has seen us win 1 in 15! His record is as poor, if not worse than those you mention, and the season IS NOT finished yet!

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="ridgeman"]

[/quote]

You''d rather we lose and see us play gung ho football than take the point we got today against a very good side?

How odd.

I guess you didn''t see us commit almost the entire team forward for a set piece in the dying seconds of the game looking for the winner?[/quote]but attacking football gets you more than 1 win in 15.

I am telling the absolute truth, what I''ve said isn''t message board provado I don''t see the point of doing that! Due to work I''m not always able to go to all of the games, so that is another factor. I know it''s a sport, but I go to football to be entertained. I generally have to start work at 4am to be able to leave off in time for a match, to then have to sit through games like Newcastle, and Fulham you sit there thinking why did I bother???!

I must admit I thought we were doomed when I saw the same lineup from last week. However, playing two up against a far superior passing side would have left our midfield overrun. So, fair play on that point. However, we were pretty poor again until we scored, then we started to play a bit and suddenly there was a spark of desire.

I always thought Swansea would score again they outclassed us in attack and we looked all over the place at times. NCFC going forward still looks a bit clueless if KK is a forward can he please stay upfield instead of drifting back or onto the wing - what is the point of someone six foot three trying to cross the ball to WH in the box?

I am not a fan of CH tactics they are very negative but more and more I get the feeling this season is just hang on and get through it and next season we will see "his team" emerge ...

Ha Ha Nice one OP. I have total sympathy with you but you shouldn''t post on this board with opinions like that. Oh deary me no!

Look what you''ve done, all the ''keep the faithers'' have lambasted you with nasty comments.

I admit to coming on here a few times in the past, stirring them all up and being quietly amused by their ignorant replies.

I want Hoots to succeed but he won''t I''m afraid unless McNally gets some one in to help him out until the end of the season. Preferably a person with man management skills and keeps are two dynamic coaches looking after the under 10''s

I knew on the whole it wouldn''t be very popular, but at the end of the day this is a forum, somewhere for people to air their views whatever they may be! Sometimes it makes you feel better to have a rant even a typed one! Ps I live near bury st Edmunds, nice to meet a fellow Suffolk canary!

"Highland Canary"Some of those seasons in the late 90s in the Championship were much more likely to reduce one''s interest in football than this season.

At last,something I can completely agree with you about. Late draws against Crewe. 0-0s against teams like Port Vale.

Far from perfect but this is better than those seasons.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Mr chops wrote:

I find it hard to believe that you sat through the Rioch, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder eras and you think Hughton is the "negative, stubborn tactically inept" one.

And you think Hughton is better? A manager whose tactics, team selection and inability to change both during a game has seen us win 1 in 15! His record is as poor, if not worse than those you mention, and the season IS NOT finished yet![/quote]Yes, I think Hughton is markedly better than any of the managers I named in my original post.For a start, we are mid-table in the Premier League despite a limited squad of players, rather than bobbing around the Championship relegation places with a decent (on paper) squad of players.

Its simple, if you don''t like it, stay at home,  free up the season tickets for those on the waiting list who might actually try to understand what the real situation is, where the club is and what it is trying to do.  Hughton needed a season of development to the squad and playing style.   His renowned style is to have a team well organised and effective from front to back.  The fact that it is not working as well as some would like up front is down mainly to the players.   Do you want to see the squad learn how to develop in to a better premiership set up?   It takes time.   Hughton has tackled it in a sensible way.  Get class in at the back and build from there.  We''ve had some great results this season and are still hard to beat.   We''ve lost our best player (Ruddy) to injury, yet still are hard to beat.  If you are still hung over from the Paul Lambert era, I''ve got news for you - that was in the past.   The real world is here and now.  Get used to it or as I say, give up going to matches, there are plenty on the waiting list who want to get a season ticket - and they might not moan as much...............