Sign in to follow this  
Needham Yellow

Atmosphere, where?

Who really enjoyed the atmosphere at Peterborough? Undoubtedly it gave the team a lift, and is a key part of going to the match. However, at home, it seems most supporters can''t be bothered to get behind the team, even in the traditionally vocal areas. Saturday was an embarrassment on and off the pitch. Something needs to happen to get the buzz back, it''s crucial to making Carra Rud a difficult place to play as a visitor, and everyone enjoys a good atmosphere, but it''s not something that just happens, we''re all part of it. Maybe signs saying "supporters not getting behind the team will be ejected"?! Suggestions?

Welcome to the board Needham.

You are right and an atmospheric CR will be crucial if we are to have any chance of survival. However CR reacts to the team, so we need a performance to feed off.

Hoots take note!

was at the game yesterday and the Luton fans were singing even before their players came out to warm up!

Apart from the obligatory ''on the ball city'' before kick-off I heard very little (even from the snake-pit) all game, so it couldn''t just have been the so-called ''plastic fans'' who grabbed a £10 ticket on the cheap.

I agree that to get the crowd singing the team need to be playing well on the pitch and the simple fact is that we had no more than 10mins of god football played yesterday, and that was once Wes and Holty came on.

How about a singing section? Clubs have done it when they have moved grounds so that those who want to make some noise can be grouped together.

We have a ''singing area'' , the barclay has always been been the vocal area, with the welcome addition of the snakepit in the mid 90s. Some encouragement is obviously needed though. Maybe a deranged bloke singing through a megaphone Europe style? Or a tit with a bell pompey style! Any volunteers?

Any of you been to away games recently? Even Anfield the other week was ridiculously lacking in atmosphere. Other than celebrating goals (which admittedly was quite a lot of the time against Liverpool), their fans barely sang a word all game. You can pretty much say the same for most other grounds.

If you''re luck, you''ll sometimes come across a team who will give some banter to the away fans. But unless the game is a real rip roarer, there are very, very few teams in the division who have an atmospheric support.

[quote user="jossackland''sspunkybackpack notion that the team has to play well for the fans to sing and create an atmosphere is a garbage excuse used by fans who can''t be bothered to get behind the team, which is 95 percent of norwich ''supporters''. quote]

And you are, of course, in the other 5% of fantastic true fans, to whom the rest should be eternally grateful for carrying our club for years.

I''ve always wondered about this as well, how it used to be a loud fortress 5 or so years back. But I think one thing that may impact the crowd noise is that we are in the prem and maybe we have increased in fans paying money to watch premier league football rather than to go and support the team vocally? I''m not saying it''s wrong, if people pay the money they can do what they want while watching the games and it doesn''t make them any less of a fan.

It does not help when the "jobs worth" stewards are continually picking on particular sections of the Barclay telling people to sit down or you will get a letter warning you that you will be banned for 2 games! Do the stewards ever get the away support to sit???? The atmosphere is severely harmed because of this, up till the beginning of December the stewards left the fans alone but now they want to stamp out any atmosphere or noise.(if all the fans stayed stood up the club are not going to ban us all are they?) I know someone on here will say that ground charter states fans should sit but to stop this continued hassle for fans and stewards the club should do something publicly about it either in the press or put a disclaimer in with the season ticket renewals then there cannot be any complaints about anything!!!!

As things stand the club will eventually lose all the true fans and get the cup game fans which are not really connected to the club.

OTBC

Peterborough fans stood up = atmosphere

Luton fans stood up = atmosphere

Man U & Arsenal we were allowed to stand = atmosphere

The club only have themselves to blame so don''t ask us to be the 12th man if you make us sit.

The signs are there that the fans have had enough with tickets being available up to the match day where they use to be sold out well before a game.

It''s not that enjoyable now and unless things improve on the pitch it will get worse.

Luton at home is hardly going to set the pulses racing!

Combine this with many "daytrippers who don''t go to games regularly" in the partisan home areas in the Barclay and snakepit, the team playing s*it and Carrow Rod being no different to most other grounds in that the home support is often very muted and you get the cr*p atmos!

Probably a combination of  several things some of the more vocal fans being priced out of the game, seats they just kill the atmosphere and poor team preformances . I was a barclay boy from the seventees and the atmosphere in them days was awsome, but me and several of the more vocal fans  have been priced out of football these days and TBH  the atmosphere is rubbish these days, i just hate sitting down just feels so alien to me who watched most of my football standing up .When you go these days your sitting with grannies , women and young boys not that it is a bad thing its just that you will struggle to get some of these to join in with the singing, in the 70s and 80s you would get all the vocal fans together in one stand and it was easier to get the atmosphere going the problem now is the crowd is to defragmented .

Massively agree with OP.

In comparison to many grounds, our vocal support is shocking.

I live up north and go to approx 8-9 home games a season and 4 or 5 aways. I also have a group of friends who support different teams, we always watch each others teams together, most weekends we are watching a game, the variety is a laugh.

We watch Norwich, Gillingham, Tottenham and Grimsby regularly and have been doing for years. We all get behind each other''s teams every time.

And it''s been a running joke that, no matter who the opposition, CR is a morgue compared to the rest.

As for ''quality of football raising the volume and support'' or ''when we see some class we''ll sing/show support'', that''s absolute piddle. Consistently we are put to shame by the level of matchday support in the lower league games we go to.

Once I took a Man Utd fan to CR, He was genuinely the loudest ''home fan'' there and doesn''t hesitate to point it out every time a ground''s atmosphere is brought up. The annoying thing is he was absolutely right too.

Why do we require amazing and outstanding football to get behind our team? Confidence plays a big part in the game. I have also been to a couple of Celtic games with my brother in law who is a big fan and let me tell you, the quality of football is NOT high, I genuinely expected more (I know it''s thrown around a lot but it actually is close to Championship/League 1 level) But the fans literally drag performances out of the team when they are not playing well.

Obviously it shouldn''t require great football to get the fans to sing and get behind the team. Like i said it''s just an excuse for those who can''t be bothered and norwich unfortunately have a huge percentage of fans who cannot be bothered to sing. Loyalty wise our fans are excellent, but when it comes to passion and vocal support we are unquestionably some of the worst in england. The main reason for this is the obsession with a family atmosphere at carrow road. Plus the fact norfolk folk are in general a bit introverted.

How about doing what stoke do and put Speakers around the Barclay. This would get the rest of the stadium bouncing in my opinion.

Most agree the atmosphere should be much better, whether you compare it with other grounds or not. Also the football quality should not stop the atmosphere.

Anyway, something can be done. In the 90s, the snakepit livened up CR. Why not relocate to the upper barclay and get some noise going there next season? The acoustics are perfect and would get the lower tier going. I''m getting on a bit, and have no idea about twitbook and all that stuff, but surely its easy these days to make a real change?

It bugs me how our fans are forced to sit while away fans don''t because their ST isn''t at stake.

The Barclay has significantly fewer rows than The Jarrold so is easier to enforce.

I believe clubs enforcing sitting for home fans should reduce capacity for visiting fans on their next trip as they contravene the safety certificate by persistently standing.