Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

No to Hooper please!

Why would we be in for Hooper as the modern football team plays 1 up front and not with someone who according to Wikipedia is 5ft 9 inches?

Whilst Holt is fit and playing well then he will be first choice so why pay £7m plus for someone who s going to warm the bench more often or not.

Graham would have been ideal but I feel he is too expensive or us now.

His height isn''t really relevant if we play the game the correct way and don''t just lump balls forward, Aguero, Tevez, and Suarez don''t seem to struggle too much.  I''m on the fence with with his potential signing to be honest, not quite sure if it would be a good signing or not but we do need a natural goal scorer and he is definitely that.

Cant tell if you''re joking or not but...

Hooper is the best rumour I''ve heard so far. Arsenal are interested in him last I heard. Crossing my fingers

With due respect, we do not have the technical quality of Man City to effectively play a small man up front.

How many goals do we score from set piece? Lots, so therefore we need more physical presence up front to give us the diversification in attack to keep our limited funded team in the PL.

I would love us to play with an Aguero type up front but I don''t think it''s practical.

Our last few goals has been scored by players around the same hight as Hooper. With the exception of Snodgrass. Martin seems to do well from set pieces, he isn''t too tall.

Saying we don''t have the technical ability is bull. The fact most our goals come from set pieces is WHY we need a new striker. How many one on ones has Holt or hoolahan fd up this season? If we had a clinical finisher, we would of scored most our goals from one on one''s rather than from set pieces.

I can''t understand this fascination with Hooper. So he''s scored a few goals against Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St. Johnston, big deal. So would Morison and Jackson. It''s one of the poorest Leagues in Europe. £7 million!!! Be serious. He may be worth a gamble for about £3, max. Just think about who we could get in for £7,000,000 !!!!

[quote user="Scooby"]I can''t understand this fascination with Hooper. So he''s scored a few goals against Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St. Johnston, big deal. So would Morison and Jackson. It''s one of the poorest Leagues in Europe. £7 million!!! Be serious. He may be worth a gamble for about £3, max. Just think about who we could get in for £7,000,000 !!!![/quote]

Away with you with your sensible posts! Clearly if we pay £7m for someone completely unproven in the Premier League and pay him ridiculous wages we are showing that we''re a big club with ambition. You''ll be suggesting that we bring in reasonably priced overseas talent next.....

[quote user="Scooby"]I can''t understand this fascination with Hooper. So he''s scored a few goals against Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St. Johnston, big deal. So would Morison and Jackson. It''s one of the poorest Leagues in Europe. £7 million!!! Be serious. He may be worth a gamble for about £3, max. Just think about who we could get in for £7,000,000 !!!![/quote]

So enlighten us all.  Who could we get for £7,000,000?

[quote user="Scooby"]I can''t understand this fascination with Hooper. So he''s scored a few goals against Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St. Johnston, big deal. So would Morison and Jackson. It''s one of the poorest Leagues in Europe. £7 million!!! Be serious. He may be worth a gamble for about £3, max. Just think about who we could get in for £7,000,000 !!!![/quote]Such a joke, you do realise this guy was scoring goals for fun in the Championship (in a crap Scunthorpe team) before he moved to the SPL right?  He''s 24, he''s scored 2 goals from only 4 shots on target in this years CL.  If we are in the race to sign him we should be praising the board for their ambition, not doubting.  Hooper is on the verge of a call up for England, when was the last time we could say we had an England striker up front?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Away with you with your sensible posts! Clearly if we pay £7m for someone completely unproven in the Premier League and pay him ridiculous wages we are showing that we''re a big club with ambition. You''ll be suggesting that we bring in reasonably priced overseas talent next.....

[/quote]Disagree with you on this one Robin.  Although I doubt there is anything in the story I think Hooper would be a fantastic signing.

Have you actually watched Hooper play? Yes he scores goals in the SPL but that is the league he plays in - he also scored against Spartak Moscow, in Moscow (not the easiest thing to do).

If you watched him play you would understand why he is a very good striker, he can only score against the teams put in front of him and he has done that at all his clubs. His movement is excellent, he has a great work rate, decent amount of pace, is strong and a clinical finisher - to me this sounds a perfect option. I doubt his fee would be £7m as he only has 18 months on his contract and it seems he doesn''t want to sign another one with Celtic.

He''s not the tallest but I think they could be a good thing, too often Norwich just hit a high ball forward knowing Holt might have a chance of winning it (he often doesn''t of course) and even if he does win it the second ball is often lost as no one is that close to him - hopefully someone like Hooper would mean less of that kind of turnover. Anyway, the fact Hooper is so strong means he can play well as a lone striker, and often has done for Celtic.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]With due respect, we do not have the technical quality of Man City to effectively play a small man up front.

How many goals do we score from set piece? Lots, so therefore we need more physical presence up front to give us the diversification in attack to keep our limited funded team in the PL.

I would love us to play with an Aguero type up front but I don''t think it''s practical.[/quote]

But the way we play the one up front is a passing game through Wes with the ball on the floor. It''s one of the reason morison struggles with this because his movement and first touch are poor (tin hat on) Holt is better at this. It''s not about lumping balls up to holt.

Last season when we played it morison was good because we played nippy wingers who put balls into morisons head where morison is very good in the air. So although the formation is the same the tactics are slightly different. Set pieces we push big seb and turner up anyway.

So if Hooper is technically good with good movement ect then he would fit into the system fine. Plus Wes is not gonna play every minute of every game so we may well play two strikers at some point.

We could have got the likes of Jay Rodriguez, signed by Southampton for 7mil, he hasnt worked out that well so far. Championship is a similar standard to SPL IMO. Very similar player, but Hooper''s goal record is far superior even when going back to his days at Doncaster where he averaged 1 in 2 for a very poor team in the Champ.

Yes Hooper plays for a massive club in a small pond, against weak opposition, but i really do think he has the ability to be successful for us should we sign him. Id prefer to spend less and still get him or a Michu but Hooper would be fine by me.

The OP cannot be serious! Hooper isn''t that weak, and most of the time we play the ball into feet interlinking with Hoolahan and the midfield.

Holt isn''t really playing as a target man either, we''re not thumping the ball up to him Iwan Roberts style every time. Holt is so much more than that, as is Hooper.

aint bad 131 goals in 284 appearances. i quite like the fellah, scored some cracking goals, also some fox in the box tap ins, ok might be Scottish league but has played champions league and not looked out of place, Everton have brought in Scottish league players who have done ok, i think a good striker will score goals wherever he is, this lad seems to have done apart from at southend maybe.

You people made the same complaint about whittaker and he fit straight into the first team when he was fit... SPL isn''t that bad of a league...

I''m going to link to this (again):
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football/football-sport/gary-hooper-everything-sunderland-fans-need-to-know-about-the-arch-poache/

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I''m going to link to this (again):

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football/football-sport/gary-hooper-everything-sunderland-fans-need-to-know-about-the-arch-poache/

[/quote]

A Celtic fan writing about a Celtic player - I''ll take it with a pinch of salt. His piece about Kayal makes him sounds like the greatest midfielder to ever grace the game.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]
Mmmmm, lemme think.  Danny Graham, Shane Long for two and I''d rather take a punt on Becchio who I personally think is a class  act, although a little temperamental.

It''s not the scoring record it''s a case for how will he fit into our formation. It''s a bit like signing an expensive Jackson and Jackson doesn''t play currently as we cannot afford to lose the extra player in midfield. So unless he can do a Hoolahan role there is no point in signing him.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]One name: Jelavic

I didn''t see him struggling in the premiership after playing in the supposedly ''weak'' SPL.[/quote]

Jelavic is 6 ft plus and can play up top on his own, Hooper is 5ft 9 inches and can not.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]
Mmmmm, lemme think.  Danny Graham, Shane Long for two and I''d rather take a punt on Becchio who I personally think is a class  act, although a little temperamental.
[/quote]

7 mill for becchio at 29 is alot of dough, Long has not really been prolific for WBA, Graham i would not mind but i think Hooper would be a good signing.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]
[/quote]You''d never get Long for £7m, and saying you''d prefer Becchio instead of Hooper says it all!

CH just denied that we have made a bid - although that does not mean that we wont or are not interested...

Just another 3 weeks before this finishes