Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Oh dear, the bosses pre match press talk.

Why oh why every time I pick up the EDP, Pink un or other local sport paper on the day of a city match do I see the quotes from Hughton about the quality of the opposition, how he admires what that club is doing, and the respect he has for them and thir manager etc etc etc.

Surely he should be talking up our club, our players and our supporters (just as a previous manager did who I will not mention) and how we can set about winning thegame (and I do not mean by giving tactics away). We are Norwich City, let''s please talk about our club Chris!

It''s been his constant theme. A visit to Craven Cottage was talked up as if we were to play at the San Siro.

This is my only real criticism of the man and if that''s called being Mr. Nice, then a bit more of the opposite CH.

If you can''t think of anything bad to say, then say nothing.

Lambert constantly praised his own team, whilst infrequently referring to the opposition in over-glowing terms.

None of us needs to be told what Liverpool F.C. have achieved in their illustrious past. A reminder of their vulnerabilty at present would go down better.

This is what I mean guys, he''s always ''bigging up'' the opposition, I flucking hate it, evey single game.

Grow a pair man and man up!

Our lads know it''ll be a hard game already, you''re undermining their confidence with all this crap.

Why are people so obsessed with what managers say to the media?

You really think he''s not telling his players go to out there and win it? That they can win it?

Of course he is. He''s trying to just not upset anyone in public, how hard is that to understand. Media and behind closed doors are two different things. Managers and players unless they are idiots don''t say anything to spectacular in press confrances. It''s not rocket science.

I would rather he bigged up the opposition as opposed to criticizing them and putting extra pressure on our players to beat them......

My memory must be faulty, as I clearly remember Lambert saying before every game how it was going to be ''a really,really tough game'', and praising how the manager would have them up for the game etc etc. Or maybe I understood even less of the Glaswegian brogue than I thought I did! Hughton has a less abrasives style, but I don''t see much difference in content. He also constantly praises the positive aspects of our team''s performance. Players he has managed before have always talked about his ability to get them playing at their best.

lambert usually gave some general run-of-the-mill offle about the on-coming opposition.

CH prefers to go into some detail, such as talking up Rodger''s style of football etc.

As I said, I would porefer he says nothing.

As someone above said, he is probably more constructive in his pre-game assessments when with the players.

I don''t mind the manager showing opponents respect off of the pitch. It''s when we show them too much respect on the pitch in not going for the jugular and seeking draws and damage limitation that I worry.

Draws will not keep us up and we should be using our resources, mental and physical, to the max in trying to win every game. To do that, we must also have the belief that we can win every game and that belief will not be instilled by constantly bigging up the opposition in the players'' minds.

Surely he does what''s worked for him in the past. If he''s respectful about the other side in public he avoid motivating their players by needling them. I''m sure our players will pay more attention to what he says direct.

I would rather he says what he thinks is effective and the fact that some posters on here would prefer a different style is frankly of zero importance

Many or most managers do the same, and it may reflect the "respect" policy of the FA or Premiership.

In training I am sure that they do the same, and it may be that the chats to the press are continuing the theme, "They haven''t won for 20 matches, but they''ve got some useful players and are quite capable of surprising us!" Of course, if every week we meet a club that could beat us, in the manager''s judgement, then it could serve to destroy confidence by sheer repetition. So there have to be variations, "They''ve had some terrible injuries, which explains their lowly league position, but they are all near to full fitness.", or "They''ve shown signs of getting towards their best", etc.

I think Chris is just different to Lambert.

Perhaps he feels he is taking the pressure of the players by talking about the opposition.  It also doesn''t give any clues as to his formation or team selection.  I thought Hughton was hopeless after the Fulham debacle, but have warmed to him.

Iwan summed it up really, the team needs us at the moment as we have had a poor start and now have a tough run of games.  I think when Chris was talking about John Bond in the week he indicated he wanted to be here for as long - something Lambert never indicated.  On the basis no players go out not to try, are deliberatley unfit, or want to lose - lets try and raise our game.  Lets try and make Carrow Road our team wants to play, and others don''t want to visit.

I''m not criticisng fans, just think an extra 10% from us will get an improvement from the team. 

PS - Suggestions for songs always fall flat - but does anyone else see potential in the old "More reasons, more reasons, more reasons - more reasons to shop at Morrisons" advert as a catchy ditty for our much maligned striker?  Perhaps - "More reasons, more reasons, more reasons - more reasons to cross to Morison!"

- I''ll get my coat! 

Let''s be honest, this has little to do with the rights or wrongs of Hughton''s approach and everything to do with finding another convenient stick to beat the guy with in line with your prejudices.

Whether you like it or not Lambert''s gone, and we have a new stamp on the team. Ridiculous suggestions that he''s negative (he put out a much more attacking formation at Newcastle than the Infallible One did last season) again pander to preconceptions. For the record he''s got much more Premier League experience than Lambert, and the reaction that he got at St James'' last week should have given even the most bigoted of you pause for thought. The geordies know a bit about the game and they adore him.

How long do you really think that Lambert''s "I don''t know how to sort out the defence so we''ll just try to score more than them" approach was going to continue to be effective? He''s hardly set the world alight at Villa, has he? Oh, and think before you come back with "He hasn''t had time to impose his ideas yet" because you might find that that applies equally to another manager.

There really are some amazingly stupid people on this forum and the OP is one of them.How about an alternative to your stupid assessment, namely:He is bigging up Brendan Rodgers by saying "hey he is under-achieving but I''m sure he can do better".It''s called mind games.  The pressure is being put on the opposition manager.  By saying how good their team, club etc is, he is saying "you really should be beating us with all that going for you".I am totally effing sick of this attack Hughton attitude amongst the moronic, reactionary element of our "supporters".

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Let''s be honest, this has little to do with the rights or wrongs of Hughton''s approach and everything to do with finding another convenient stick to beat the guy with in line with your prejudices.

Whether you like it or not Lambert''s gone, and we have a new stamp on the team. Ridiculous suggestions that he''s negative (he put out a much more attacking formation at Newcastle than the Infallible One did last season) again pander to preconceptions. For the record he''s got much more Premier League experience than Lambert, and the reaction that he got at St James'' last week should have given even the most bigoted of you pause for thought. The geordies know a bit about the game and they adore him.

How long do you really think that Lambert''s "I don''t know how to sort out the defence so we''ll just try to score more than them" approach was going to continue to be effective? He''s hardly set the world alight at Villa, has he? Oh, and think before you come back with "He hasn''t had time to impose his ideas yet" because you might find that that applies equally to another manager.

[/quote]
Excellent post Beau, my thoughts exactly.
Imo Lambert''s philosophy is similar to the old Kevin Keegan mantra. As much for he did for the club, and as fantastically successful as the Lambert era was, it always concerned me that in 3 years he never sorted the defence out.
This Hughton negativity does my head in, some elements of our fan base hide their petty chil;dish strop at Lambert leaving under a veil of "legitimate concerns", however most of these "concerns" don''t have any legitimacy, it''s just bandwagoneering of the highest order.

I thought this line was appalling

" We have to be very respectful to Liverpool "

One thing you do to a big club is show no respect or fear. What are we going to do, not score against them out of respect? Not tackle hard out of respect?

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]
Excellent post Beau, my thoughts exactly.
Imo Lambert''s philosophy is similar to the old Kevin Keegan mantra. As much for he did for the club, and as fantastically successful as the Lambert era was, it always concerned me that in 3 years he never sorted the defence out.
This Hughton negativity does my head in, some elements of our fan base hide their petty chil;dish strop at Lambert leaving under a veil of "legitimate concerns", however most of these "concerns" don''t have any legitimacy, it''s just bandwagoneering of the highest order.
[/quote]

I think it''s disrespectful to fans and their opinions to level that at them. People who have positive opinions are just as valid as negative opinions.

I''m probably in the negative camp because my concerns at the Monchengladbach game are being realised. That the tactics we employ will get us a lot of 0-0 draws punctuated with losses. It''s gone exactly as I feared and I just pray Hughton gets it right and we start scoring.

Point is tho that those not happy have a right to be so as we pay our money and our point is valid. I''m relatively happy but still very concerned.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]And one other thing, is only scoring two goals and no wins in 5 games is a legitimate concern in my eyes.[/quote]

Tell the press one thing, Tell the players to go for the throat, who the hell knows what he tells them.

[quote user="kellybrook"]I am totally effing sick of this attack Hughton attitude amongst the moronic, reactionary element of our "supporters".[/quote]Yes, but why single out poor old Wiz? [:O]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="kellybrook"]I am totally effing sick of this attack Hughton attitude amongst the moronic, reactionary element of our "supporters".[/quote]Yes, but why single out poor old Wiz? [:O][/quote]

Because he''s chief moron

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]I thought this line was appalling " We have to be very respectful to Liverpool " One thing you do to a big club is show no respect or fear. What are we going to do, not score against them out of respect? Not tackle hard out of respect?[/quote]

Did you read the rest of the paragraph?

[quote user="City 2nd"]Why oh why every time I pick up the EDP, Pink un or other local sport paper on the day of a city match do I see the quotes from Hughton about the quality of the opposition, how he admires what that club is doing, and the respect he has for them and thir manager etc etc etc.

Surely he should be talking up our club, our players and our supporters (just as a previous manager did who I will not mention) and how we can set about winning thegame (and I do not mean by giving tactics away). We are Norwich City, let''s please talk about our club Chris![/quote]Maybe by talking about the opposition he avoids having to talk about why our strikers aren''t scoring, when we''re going to win our first game, whether he feels under any pressure - all the negative aspects that could be explored given our start to the season.  Talking about Liverpool seems fairly smart to me in those circumstances.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]What are we going to do, not score against them out of respect? Not tackle hard out of respect?[/quote]lmao. think you might be more accurate that you realize

still, we will get to play championship & european football at the same time next season courtesy of relegation & fair play

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Maybe by talking about the opposition he avoids having to talk about why our strikers aren''t scoring, when we''re going to win our first game, whether he feels under any pressure - all the negative aspects that could be explored given our start to the season.  Talking about Liverpool seems fairly smart to me in those circumstances.

[/quote]

In training to be a politician as they''re good at diversionary tactics.