Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Jackson off to Blackpool for 900k

...doing the rounds on Twitter at the moment. The source appears to be *gasp* so possibly a non-starter.  I took a look at a couple of Blackpool forums but there was no mention of it.Regardless, 900k for Jackson about the right valuation?!

Cannot really see this one happening, unless of course Jackson

is part of a deal to bring Matt Phillips to Norwich.

As the source was from football rumours site, i would think it no more than just that

The account which tweeted it is @FakeRumours, so I highly doubt there is anything in it. Although you''d have thought they would be able to make up a funnier rumour?!

I also noticed that yesterday on Twitter, the ''source'' is a bit hit and miss but it is plausable all the same, Simeon may want to play more regularly and Hughton may want a new striker that will be more than an impact sub, time will tell but if it does happen i would wish Simeon all the best as he''s played a part in our fairytale ride thus far.

Seems a very low price for a youngish striker with a good record at Championship level and also put in good performances last season in the Prem. He''s certainly a useful squad player at this level and considering the prices of strikers these days I''d be wanting more than twice that.

[quote user="Mahogany"]Seems a very low price for a youngish striker with a good record at Championship level and also put in good performances last season in the Prem. He''s certainly a useful squad player at this level and considering the prices of strikers these days I''d be wanting more than twice that.[/quote]I agree , you get near sod all for £900,000 in todays market , Jackson was coming on leaps and bounds at the end of the Championship season and did not disgrace himself last season either . £2 million would be nearer the mark for me .

I think Simeon Jackson operates in that ‘mental space’ between technically competent and trying just a bit too hard. If he relaxed a bit he’d be twice the player he has been up to now. For an example of a player who does appear to be relaxed enough to simply ‘allow it happen’ watch the new lad from Barnsley.

Maybe signing Butterfield will allow Jackson to be released? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXodP52Tfns

I don''t know, it depends on lots of things - for one reason or another Simeon has only ever really been a bit-part player for us, even when we were in the Champs....though of course scored some crucial goals at the end of that season.

This rumour may or may not be complete garbage but it is definitely the case that we may well ship some guys to get better in: I think incremental improvements to the squad is how we''ll be going about things, per how PL had done over the last couple of seasons.

i think i''d be inclined to take 900k for him, I''m afraid his decision making in the box will preclude him from making it at this level......fingers crossed that Vaughan can stay fit as he''s a far better footballer.

I suspect that most City fans would probably rate Jackson as either our 3rd or 4th striker at the moment, behind Holt and Morison, possibly ahead of Vaughan, and above Chris Martin. Most also agree for the need of an additional quality striker, which probably puts a big question mark on his future here.

To my mind, Jackson is proven at Championship level, but there are question marks over his Premiership credentials. On this basis, I''d be tempted to sell at the right price. There are not too many Championship clubs willing to pay over the million pound mark at the moment, so £900k is probably not far off the mark

He probably is worth slightly more than that, but it''s still good enough for me to consider it a decent option for CH to consider, especially if we are looking to bring another striker in.

In a way I would be gutted to see Jackson go, and in another way I wouldn''t.

If we were to let him go we would need to seek out another player with blistering pace like his, the reason why he is an asset to the club was proven in the game against Totenham. When playing the bigger teams like that who will get the ball and pin you back into your own half he is a constant ''out'' ball. Bang it over the top and you know he is either going to get there first or make someone really have to motor to stop him.

At times that makes teams more reluctant to push such a high line and then force the battle into less threatening areas of the pitch. At times we do seriously lack pace and he can give that.

However, I''m not sure about his mentality. I don''t mean that he is a thug - a Ballotelli or Barton. I mean at times he can be a bit Titus Bramble, hesitate - not trust his instincts. He has got better and I wonder if Hughton is the right man to put an arm around his shoulder and encourage him to be a bit more cut throat.

He has good control which is why he can hold the ball up, and he is actually a pretty good striker of the ball. If he can find that cutting edge, perhaps its because he is a nice guy, then he could potentially be getting at least ten goals a season.

That is a big ''if'' though.

Again if you could somehow merge him and Chris Martin you would have the altimate striker.

But I think Chrissy is less favoured simply because he has the ability - it''s clear for all to see, but for whatever reason he just does not seem able to convert that into form and goals at this level, would be a good signing for any Championship side though.

Jackson being worth around £900k is probably about right in the current climate. Given a good run out in the Champs I should imagine he would get a team 15-20goals a season. He''s quicker than Earnshaw and taller.

Jackson just signed a new deal at the end of the season didn''t he ?

So probably not much in the rumour

He is not a prolific championship striker he had one good month. Will people just come to realise that!!!He has some very good attirbutes, heart and championship pace.His actual goal to shot ratio is not as good as you would think Gills fans said that when he joined and I would agree that he is our fourth striker ahead of CM, but CM is technically much more sound.900k, probably is a bit short... but if I was a manager looking at him, I would think over the course of two seasons with Norwich he scored a handful of goals and probably played for only 2 - 3 months of that 24. He had a good record in League 1 in a relegated team and certainly has developed, but as a championship striker I would still say he does not have the clinical finishing to be a starter for a team wanting play-off football.He is young and will improve, but I feel he is a victim of our success. Which again is nothing wrong with him or the club.If a club came looking I would maybe ask for a wee bit more, but if S Jackson wants first team football a move would be wise, I think we paid 500k for Jackson and I prob would take 900k

we took up the year extension on his contract, over which, i believe, he has no say.this neither means that we are looking to keep him (merely means we are able to get a fee for him) nor that there is any truth to this rumour.if we''re looking to improve the squad this would seem a good way of doing so, although i do like jackson and the effort he puts in.

it was a complete fake rumour made up by a tweeter called fake transfers, its not rocket science, its FAKE

Re: the contract situation, ive not looked into it but think it was just us taking the one-year option on his contract (which otherwise would have seen him released), rather than him signing a new one - so he has just that 1 year left: clearly a longer-term decision might be needed either way.

Dogger, I think we are all aware this rumour is probably a pile of crap on its own, but Simeon is the sort of player that we do need to be making decisions on: one year is the timeframe where clubs and players are looking to move, extend or let the contract run out.

I don''t care if it a fake rumour. These are discussions that are worth having on here. Where does S Jackson fit in our plans for this season and would that be enough to warrant a contract next season when he could leave on a free?I think for him and as a club he needs to move on. He may be at Carrow Road for one more season, but if he doesn''t play then his agent better work hard in getting him a new contract with another club. I cannot see many managers looking at a player who has played so little first team football as a major coup.As mentioned I cannot see him in a play-off chasing teams'' first 11 now. So after 1 more year who knows.If I was S Jackson I would be looking at my options.I agree I think we need another striker and hence new guy, Holt, Morison and Vaughan are a good four with attacking midfielders capable of playing off the centre forwards. I don''t know how long Chrissy Martin''s contract is for, but he would then stick at number 4. But we need to improve our attacking forwards and replacing our number four with a number 1 or 2 would be better all round.

SJ fee rumoured to be £800k, not sure if correct, but Simeon looked good at times last season i feelnext season he will only get better and we do not need to lose any strikers, need another striker to replace Chris Martin.

Pete - Is he ever going to get a run in the team? His contract is up in a year when he could walk for a free and he will not be a starter here at CR this season.He will at a championship team.I don''t think he ever looked a threat to any premiership defence, he runs and puts in hard work, but a threat... no. He may get better but we are in a position where we can get better, he has had 2 years and played well for 1 month at the end of the Championship season. Last season came on and did a lot of work but never looked premiership calibre. He may be but he is fourth choice now and likely to be fifth when a new striker comes in.The 3-3 against Arsenal showed that when he had a 1 on 1 he fluffed it, Morison who had hardly played came on and had a great finish on a 1 on 1. Quite simply he is number 4 striker and will be that or lower next season and then he will be out of contract.

900k for Jackson is a joke and anyone who thinks that would be good business needs to see a doctor. 

Just look at how much League One players go for these days, £2m, £3m........  Jackson is worth at least £2m all day long.  Jackson had some MOTM performances last season and linked up well with Holt upfront.

IF we decide to sell we''ll get whatever is the right price: he only has a year left on his contract and has hardly been setting the world on fire in the PL (I don''t recall those MOTM performances last season), and this would be reflected in any transfer figure. Most of the guys going the other way for bigger fees are young and on their way up, hence the high fees, but if anyone is willing to pay £2m for him then fine by me.

For me Jackson is someone who is playing at full capacity with nothing more up his sleeve and unfortunately his best is not good enough if we are to progress as a team onto the next step of our Premiership development so if Blackpool,Bristol City or whoever want to stump up a reasonable amount of cash i would say to Simeone thanks all all the best for your future.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]For me Jackson is someone who is playing at full capacity with nothing more up his sleeve and unfortunately his best is not good enough if we are to progress as a team onto the next step of our Premiership development so if Blackpool,Bristol City or whoever want to stump up a reasonable amount of cash i would say to Simeone thanks all all the best for your future.[/quote]

all all should be and all.[:$]

Branston Pickle spot on... MOTM you are joking... he is not that calibreYou are right with the transfer figures. He played 2 months at the end of this season where he did not shine. He played for one month at the end of the champ when he played well in an awesome team full of confidence.As I said in the last 24 months he has played for about 3 -4 months... 900k would be a good price for a player who has barely played in 2 years. He has developed but no way should he be considered ahead of Morison or Vaughan. So with a new striker he will be another spot down. I def. think a season here will not do him any favours if he wants to play first team football.