Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Heartbreaking Darren Eadie article in the Independant.

Even though this is written by an ex Binner it really is a touching article. I was never aware of Darren having any problems but it really draws your attention to the fact that footballers, are just people with the same, if not more, pressures as anyone else.

Thank you for flagging that up.  Yes, what with the revelations from Leon earlier on in the year and now this it just goes to show that these things can hit anybody whatever their lifestyle and career path.  Darren is a top guy and I know (from seeing him around the village where I live) that he has a great family and a good support network.  Hopefully his woes will not return.

A massively talented player whose career was stopped way too early with this injury, Darren could have provided the elusive left hand side answer England were constantly looking for.To hear about him suffering from depression and the depths it took him is awful, especially in regards to the relative lack of support he got outside of his home and family.Glad to see that he turned it around though and he''ll always be welcome here.

"We had to sell the porsche". "I made mistakes with business ventures" As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.

That''s a bit harsh mate.

If a footballer earns good money why shouldn''t he have the nicest car he can afford and if he''s looking to invest for his life outside of football then that''s just good practice.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]"We had to sell the porsche".
"I made mistakes with business ventures"

As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.
[/quote]

If you haven''t gone through anything like this you really don''t know how awful it is - whatever your personal circumstances.  And please don''t put quote marks round something if it isn''t what was said in the article.

As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.
[/quote]

Self-pity is on the road to depression.  No-one can know how far down the road Darren went - a little unsympathetic imo.  

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Michael Starr"]"We had to sell the porsche". "I made mistakes with business ventures" As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.[/quote]

If you haven''t gone through anything like this you really don''t know how awful it is - whatever your personal circumstances.  And please don''t put quote marks round something if it isn''t what was said in the article.

[/quote]
Absolutely spot on

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Self-pity is on the road to depression.  No-one can know how far down the road Darren went - a little unsympathetic imo.  

[/quote]

That''s why many don''t mention these things and internalise them, as you feel you will be ridiculed by some ''stronger'' members of society.. I call them bullies. Ten years ago I was out of work for almost two years and I can empathise with Darren 100%.  There are hoardes of people like Darren that we will never know about because they get on with life and remain in painful silence for good reason.  

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Even though this is written by an ex Binner it really is a touching article. I was never aware of Darren having any problems but it really draws your attention to the fact that footballers, are just people with the same, if not more, pressures as anyone else.
[/quote]

Thanks for highlighting this article Scottlarock, I read with great sadness and I wish Darren all the very best for the future.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]"We had to sell the porsche". "I made mistakes with business ventures" As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.[/quote]
While your personal opinion is what the forum is for, perhaps you ought to deal with the personal opinion that I have of you.
I feel you have envy issues and have major problems with feeling inadequate. 
 It''s a hugely touching article about a player who was a model pro who didn''t capitalise on or sensationalise his problems at the time - and in line with that he is one of the humblest guys around.....and I don''t mean just now, when he was in his early career he had no heirs and graces and was one of the most rounded of his generation (at NCFC anyway).

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s why many don''t mention these things and internalise them, as you feel you will be ridiculed by some ''stronger'' members of society.. I call them bullies. Ten years ago I was out of work for almost two years and I can empathise with Darren 100%.  There are hoardes of people like Darren that we will never know about because they get on with life and remain in painful silence for good reason.  

[/quote]

Well said Paul - went through something like this in the mid-90s and it was totally debilitating - particularly when you feel you have to ''put a brave face'' on it!!!

I remember seeing Eadie many times in the late 90s, one of the players that made it worth watching City despite all the low times (which there were plenty of).  I remember one game when the other keeper came out too far to make a clearance, which went to Eadie near the half-way line - he put in an amazing chip to score.  Also I remember one time when I was in the queue in Argos and I noticed him right behind me in the queue, looking like a very ordinary guy.  I wanted to speak to him but was too embarassed.

It must be incredibly tough to go from being a top flight footballer at the peak of his career, to losing it all through injury.  I''m glad to hear he''s been able to move on.

[/quote]

I don''t totally disagree with you, though I know it won''t be a popular view.

Depression is no joke, that is for sure.

But I''ve always found the guy to be a little bit self centered, self-indulgent. Which I think often comes across on the radio. You''ve picked up on it too and I have to wonder if he really needed to specifically mention the Porsche.

And I''m really not going to do my forum popularity any favours with this one but I never saw him as a great player either. He was a decent player who was lucky enough to begin his career with us during some high points for the club. And I''m sure he had enough about him to cut out a decent career in the game. But to me he was nowhere near the standard of someone like Darren Huckerby.

Hmm. It''s a tricky one because this depression thing this is a f*cker.

@GJP
...surprising post sir. I don''t listen to Radio Norfolk as I''m exiled south of the border so if you have a steer on this, fair enough.
Totally agree, he was nowhere near Hucks - not many were.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]@GJP

...surprising post sir. I don''t listen to Radio Norfolk as I''m exiled south of the border so if you have a steer on this, fair enough.

Totally agree, he was nowhere near Hucks - not many were.

[/quote]

I would also point to something from a few seasons back, somewhere around the Grant/Roeder/Gunn. During a pre match warm up Eadie wandered out on to the pitch to have a laugh with the players, particularly Jamie Cureton.

What was that all about? Why did he think he could just walk out onto the pitch and muck about with Cureton when the players are meant to be getting ready for the game? Surely as an ex professional he can see that that kind of thing isn''t right.

Perhaps he just wanted to feel part of it all again and that clouded his judgement.

I have met him several times and he is a very nice genuine guy.As a player, he was easily as good as Hucks. He was faster and more direct than Hucks, brilliant to watch.He is fortunate to still be very wealthy, has had a brilliant football career, can now pick and choose what he does, and has the support of his family. I am certain that without those things then he may have felt an awful lot worse like what most of us will go through at sometime in our lives.

Concur with Tom above. Have done some work-related things with Darren and he is a really genuine, friendly, approchable chap-no sense of ego at all, just a lot of sadness, still, that he had to pack up playing which he, unlike so many other footballers it seems, genuinely loved doing, it was more than a job to him, it was the chance to do for a living what he enjoyed to do more than anything else.

It a well written piece, very sensitive and tells the story well. So well done to Scowcroft.

Not really got anything to say on the depression thing as I guess only Darren would be able to tell how genuinely depressed he was but have to take issue with those saying he wasn''t a great player for us. Eadie was the closest thing to hugks in my supporting lifetime and Hucks the closest thing to Eadie. Both fantastic wingers capable of getting the crowd to their feet whenever they got the ball. I remember how the whole of Carrow Road would be up on their feet as soon as Eadie got the ball which was often deep in his own half and more often than not it would end up in the opposition penalty area after a lightening run.

A player who was never quite the same after his first injury but who could and should have done better than moving to Leicester and who, had it not been for his ultimate injuries, i am sure would have got quite a few caps for England on the left wing, particularly given the dearth of other quality left wingers around.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]
As a player, he was easily as good as Hucks. He was faster and more direct than Hucks, brilliant to watch.

[/quote]

Eadie was a good player who would have played at a good level for the rest of his career. But "easily" as good as Darren Huckerby?

Nah, not at all.

You''re either underrating Hucks or overrating Eadie.

You just sound like a moron to me. Just saying.

Fantastic player so fast and direct and scored goals.

Would surely have solved that left side problem for England.

Really loved watching him and it would be great to have a player like him now but with that pace.....your talking 15+ million +

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]As a player, he was easily as good as Hucks. He was faster and more direct than Hucks, brilliant to watch. [/quote]

Eadie was a good player who would have played at a good level for the rest of his career. But "easily" as good as Darren Huckerby?

Nah, not at all.

You''re either underrating Hucks or overrating Eadie.

[/quote]Neither, they were both great players to watch.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Michael Starr"]"We had to sell the porsche". "I made mistakes with business ventures" As horrible an illness as depression is, and as much as I feel for Darren with his struggle. In my own personal opinion, this sounds more like self pity to me. Just saying.[/quote]
While your personal opinion is what the forum is for, perhaps you ought to deal with the personal opinion that I have of you.
I feel you have envy issues and have major problems with feeling inadequate. 
It''s a hugely touching article about a player who was a model pro who didn''t capitalise on or sensationalise his problems at the time - and in line with that he is one of the humblest guys around.....and I don''t mean just now, when he was in his early career he had no heirs and graces and was one of the most rounded of his generation (at NCFC anyway).
[/quote]As humble as everyday people who struggle to put food on the table and support their families through a very difficult financial period? Or an injured soldier, like my grandfather, who lost his leg whilst in action and struggled on despite his demons like a proper trooper? I''m sorry but Darren losing his Porsche (and rich lifestyle) is not on the same level, especially when we all know he had sustainability in media work. He''s doing alright for himself is he not?I like him as a person, as a player he was great, but a bit of perspective is needed here.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]As humble as everyday people who struggle to put food on the table and support their families through a very difficult financial period? Or an injured soldier, like my grandfather, who lost his leg whilst in action and struggled on despite his demons like a proper trooper? I''m sorry but Darren losing his Porsche (and rich lifestyle) is not on the same level, especially when we all know he had sustainability in media work. He''s doing alright for himself is he not?I like him as a person, as a player he was great, but a bit of perspective is needed here.[/quote]You''re completely missing the point. Depression is not easier to deal with just because you or well off or because you still have both your legs. You can have all the riches in the world but if that little voice tells you you''re worthless and you should end it all then it counts for sh*t. Thankfully it doesn''t ever seem to have got that bad for Darren but I don''t doubt he still went through a terrible time.Stop focussing on the Porsche. It is the least important part of the story.

A very sad story which makes you realise that depression in various forms can hit anyone at any time for any reason.

I''m glad that Darren and his family are through the worst because anyone who knows him will know that hes a lovely kind, friendly and decent person  with no airs or graces who would do anything for anyone.

Shame that he and other players who have been affected didn''t get much support from the PFA but hopefully that will improve with people like Leon McKenzie, Stan Collymore and Darren speaking out.

"As humble as everyday people who struggle to put food on the table and support their families through a very difficult financial period? Or an injured soldier, like my grandfather, who lost his leg whilst in action and struggled on despite his demons like a proper trooper? I''m sorry but Darren losing his Porsche (and rich lifestyle) is not on the same level, especially when we all know he had sustainability in media work. He''s doing alright for himself is he not?

I like him as a person, as a player he was great, but a bit of perspective is needed here."

I don''t understand when people say things like this. You can get all sorts of arguments about what is worse. It''s all relative. But losing something you had is awful and that is what it comes down to, doesn''t actually matter what it is.

[quote user="GJP"]

And I''m really not going to do my forum popularity any favours with this one but I never saw him as a great player either. He was a decent player who was lucky enough to begin his career with us during some high points for the club. And I''m sure he had enough about him to cut out a decent career in the game. But to me he was nowhere near the standard of someone like Darren Huckerby.

[/quote]

Ok, I was accepting though not agreeing with what you said up to this point as opinion.

But seriously? Eadie was frighteningly cool. Stupidly quick. I stood in the Barclay and saw enough to know that he was one of the most talented and exciting players I''ll ever see in the green and yella...the only way the oppostion could stop him was by kicking him, sadly.

Yes Hucks was a legend for us and achieved more with us than Eadie had a chance to. But if I had to choose my favourite winger-cum-striker-cum-run around like a mad thing player for City...Eadie nicks it for me. Almost feel bad saying that, cos Hucks gave me so many moments to remember, but...blas me bor, he wuz quick that Eadie :)