Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Norwich make bid for Snodgrass

I loved this tweet.  Sad but gallows humour.

Paul Robinson@MrPaulRobinson

Those latest Norwich transfer targets in full: Robert Snodgrass, Kaiser Chiefs, Leeds Town Hall and Emmerdale''s Dolly Skilbeck

I am encouraged by the fact we appear to be the only club in the running for Snodgrass. Suggests he may have made up his mind he wants to join us and its just a question of agreeing the fee. Would have thought others would be sniffing if that were not the case.

I find it weird nobody else has bidded for him. Although I suppose he was priced out of a move earlier in the year which might have put clubs off. Hopefully we can grab another bargain!

Other clubs may have bid but it hasn''t been reported in the media. Strange for Norwich to do business in public but I guess that''s the way Leeds want it. We must really want Snodgrass. Personally the signing doesn''t excite me as I think he lacks pace but I have only seen him

play a handful of times so I''m open to being converted.

The article does mention interest from other clubs in a vague way, so it''s hard to tell if Leeds are seriously considering the latest bid or hoping others will come in if Snodgrass refuses a new contract. Let''s hope Howson and Johnson can persuade him to come! There''s also the possibility of Crofts going the other way.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]4m and Crofts seems a bit steep to me, especially as he''s only got a year to run on his contract.If it was 2-3 mil and Crofts then fair enough, but 4 is quite high.I just hope we don''t let ourselves get held to ransom over this one, but he''s certainly a player I rate and if this is what''s needed then maybe...[/quote]Well if what''s been posted on the front page on here this morning that Leeds turned down our reported £1.5m bid. Not surprising as that''s really taking the p*ss.He''s got to be worth £2.5m surely ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Indy_Bones"]4m and Crofts seems a bit steep to me, especially as he''s only got a year to run on his contract.If it was 2-3 mil and Crofts then fair enough, but 4 is quite high.I just hope we don''t let ourselves get held to ransom over this one, but he''s certainly a player I rate and if this is what''s needed then maybe...[/quote]Well if what''s been posted on the front page on here this morning that Leeds turned down our reported £1.5m bid. Not surprising as that''s really taking the p*ss.He''s got to be worth £2.5m surely ? [/quote]

Probably already been covered so apologies if that is the case but I don''t understand why Drury wasn''t used as one of the bargaining chips to get Snodders.

From BBC via PA:

But the Canaries, who already have former Leeds pair Bradley Johnson and Jonny Howson on their books, have returned with an offer "way in excess of £2m" and Leeds are currently considering whether to cash in on a player who has less than a year remaining on his contract.

Way in excess of £2m - WTF.  McNasty having a busy time in Yorkshire today.

[quote user="Jack Slicer"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Indy_Bones"]4m and Crofts seems a bit steep to me, especially as he''s only got a year to run on his contract.

If it was 2-3 mil and Crofts then fair enough, but 4 is quite high.

I just hope we don''t let ourselves get held to ransom over this one, but he''s certainly a player I rate and if this is what''s needed then maybe...
[/quote]

Well if what''s been posted on the front page on here this morning that Leeds turned down our reported £1.5m bid. Not surprising as that''s really taking the p*ss.

He''s got to be worth £2.5m surely ?
[/quote] Probably already been covered so apologies if that is the case but I don''t understand why Drury wasn''t used as one of the bargaining chips to get Snodders.[/quote]

Drury was a free agent - couldn''t be used as anything other than a secret agent!!!

Wouldn''t that be great though, a secret agent with the sole purpose of winding old Warnie up !

Trouble is Adam is too good a pro but Im sure that Holty has sent him his best regards via Adam.

Bookies suspend betting on Snoddy joining.My prediction that he would be ours by the end of the week is looking pretty good.

I reckon this is why the away kit hasn''t been launched yet. Snodgrass, Howson and Johnson for the photo shoot. Ideally in front of Leeds City Hall.

We do need a winger and one that can perform equally well both sides is a bonus, but where is that illusive defensive midfielder? We''re currently the only squad in the Premier minus one.

[quote user="s10_yellow"]I reckon this is why the away kit hasn''t been launched yet. Snodgrass, Howson and Johnson for the photo shoot. Ideally in front of Leeds City Hall.[/quote]

In our new all-white away kit?

I enjoyed the quote. "Way in excess of $2million" though presumably less than 3 million! Sounds a little silly.

Leeds and Warnock are clearly trying to make this as public as possible to encourage other teams to have a bidding war with us. I''d be very surprised if no one else bids for him, he has been on a lot of clubs radar for a while.

[quote user="anonamoose"]I enjoyed the quote. "Way in excess of $2million" though presumably less than 3 million! Sounds a little silly.

Leeds and Warnock are clearly trying to make this as public as possible to encourage other teams to have a bidding war with us. I''d be very surprised if no one else bids for him, he has been on a lot of clubs radar for a while.[/quote]I would guess he''s more anxious to join up with Howson and Johnson again. Other teams realising that they are wasting their time and not prepared to go the extra mile for him.I''m very confident we will get him now.

Why would they need to make this public. If it''s been common knowledge for the past year or so I doubt that there is anyone in football who is not aware of what is going on.

Agents spend their every waking hour contacting clubs about who is available, wants to leave (supposedly), can be had for such and such a fee so anyone interested would have acted a long while back.

It is now merely a matter of haggling, and anyone who has watched McNally will know that he can screw a good deal so keep going, the northern monkeys will have to settle at some point so if they want to set McNallys ''reel screaming'' let them. Until they can find a way of pulling the hook out of their mouth there''s not much they can do.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="anonamoose"]I enjoyed the quote. "Way in excess of $2million" though presumably less than 3 million! Sounds a little silly.

Leeds and Warnock are clearly trying to make this as public as possible to encourage other teams to have a bidding war with us. I''d be very surprised if no one else bids for him, he has been on a lot of clubs radar for a while.[/quote]I would guess he''s more anxious to join up with Howson and Johnson again. Other teams realising that they are wasting their time and not prepared to go the extra mile for him.I''m very confident we will get him now.[/quote]Exactly what I thought

I think thats a little bit harsh on Bradley Johnson, Shyster to say we don''t have any defensive midfielders. I thought he played very well at the front and back end of the season but was indifferent (when he did play) in the middle part. It also depends on what you want your defensive midfielder to do. Their game shouldn''t just be based on thundering into big challenges. More importantly a defensive midfielder should almost be a deep lying playmaker for me. Who gets teams on the move. Look at how Pirlo excelled at Euro 2012 at the base of the diamond despite not being a traditional "destroyer". I have enjoyed watching both Fox and Howson playing in a deeper lying role this season because they both possess good passing ability that has got the team on the move quickly.

Howson is certainly well suited for a role just in front of the back four - and looks comfortabe going forward with the ball as well as actually attacking.

Johnson may not be so creative but he''s one of those players that you are always going to need when you are up against the likes of Stoke.

I may be reading to much into it but can only assume this "way in excess of £2m" has come out of Leeds and if so is possibly preparing the ground with their fans for them to accept the offer.

What i am unsure of is how their supposed takeover would impact on any deal - i.e. can they agree to sell one of their main players when they are alledfgedly days away from new ownership, if they accept our offer will it have already been sanctioned by the new regime. They may be dragging it out in order to let the new owners make the call.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I think thats a little bit harsh on Bradley Johnson, Shyster to say we don''t have any defensive midfielders. I thought he played very well at the front and back end of the season but was indifferent (when he did play) in the middle part. It also depends on what you want your defensive midfielder to do. Their game shouldn''t just be based on thundering into big challenges. More importantly a defensive midfielder should almost be a deep lying playmaker for me. Who gets teams on the move. Look at how Pirlo excelled at Euro 2012 at the base of the diamond despite not being a traditional "destroyer". I have enjoyed watching both Fox and Howson playing in a deeper lying role this season because they both possess good passing ability that has got the team on the move quickly.

[/quote]

I think Lambert recognised that Johnson, Howson & Fox weren''t good enough in said position which is why it''s likely the former had Karim El Ahmadi lined up for us - a ''proper'' defensive midfielder, Jacko and one fully established in that role.Hopefully, with Hughton''s knowledge of defending he can make one of those trio a quality DM, but I''m a tad fearful considering the 66 goals conceded last season.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I may be reading to much into it but can only assume this "way in excess of £2m" has come out of Leeds and if so is possibly preparing the ground with their fans for them to accept the offer.

What i am unsure of is how their supposed takeover would impact on any deal - i.e. can they agree to sell one of their main players when they are alledfgedly days away from new ownership, if they accept our offer will it have already been sanctioned by the new regime. They may be dragging it out in order to let the new owners make the call.

[/quote]They have been days away from new ownership for weeks. 2400 pages devoted to this on WACCOE and many think it won''t happen.

A fair point Shyster and I guess possibly why Bridcutt was being touted around at times last season. I don''t know what your thoughts are but I still think the main priority has to be the back four rather than another midfielder though. The number of silly individual errors you could point to that cost goals were remarkable last season. De Laet with a couple, Ward against Liverpool and the amount of penalties given away in the opening fixtures.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]They have been days away from new ownership for weeks. 2400 pages devoted to this on WACCOE and many think it won''t happen.[/quote]

There should be no way Leeds should even discussing selling their best player and captain when the club is meant to be on the cusp of a takeover. I think it shows either the takeover is not happening, never was, or the new owners are of as limited means as the current lot.

According to posters on WACCOE the new bid has been rejected.