Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Will Grant Holt get an England call up for Euro 2012?

Grant Holt is now the joint top 7th goal scorer this season in the Premiership with his two goals today (see http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/scorers/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739#)

Only one Englishman is above him the goalscorer tallies, and that is Wayne Rooney.

So, can Grant Holt earn a call up? He''s outscored Bent, Sturridge, Crouch, Zamora, Graham, Wellbeck, and Walcott. Does Stuart Pearce recognise someone like himself? Someone who will play with his passion?

[quote user="morty"]No.[/quote]What he said.He deserves a shot, but he''s not likely to get it. It''s a shame as it would be nice to see someone look genuinely interested in playing for the Country, but he''s an unfashionable type of player these days (in a football sense, of course. I''m sure his dress sense is the epitome of sartorial elegance).

[quote user="morty"]No.[/quote]

Assuming Rooney is picked (despite being banned for two games) who else will Pearce select for striker? Bent is out injured, so presumably Wellbeck and Sturridge will get selected. But there must be a place for a burley centre forward who will put himself around a bit. And I don''t mean Crouch.

It''s not going to happen. Not while we have the free scoring talents of Carroll, Zamora and Fraser Campbell. I cant wait to see those players striking fear into the heart of the best European defences.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[quote user="morty"]No.[/quote]

Assuming Rooney is picked (despite being banned for two games) who else will Pearce select for striker? Bent is out injured, so presumably Wellbeck and Sturridge will get selected. But there must be a place for a burley centre forward who will put himself around a bit. And I don''t mean Crouch.

[/quote]I honestly don''t know.But I know he won''t pick Holt.Probably Crouch.

He will get the call up mark my words he knows its his last chance. Holt gets what he wants through his exceptional determination.

Actually,  when you think about what else is available and how none of the other contenders are  reliable goalscorers at premiership level - and Holt is,   its a no brainer!  He has to be at least in the squad.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Actually,  when you think about what else is available and how none of the other contenders are  reliable goalscorers at premiership level - and Holt is,   its a no brainer!  He has to be at least in the squad.

[/quote]

Exactly. Fraser Campbell? Wellbeck? Neither of these guys have scored goals this season, the latter in an exceptional squad. Sturridge I would select as he has a lot of talent, Rooney is a no brainer. If five strikers are selected, then there are still 3 places up for grabs. Bent is out injured until May, so I would leave him out. With three places left over, I would pluck for Crouch, Wellbeck and Holt.

[quote user="morty"]He just won''t folks, sorry, I don''t like it either..
[/quote]

I don''t like it much either, but if I grit my teeth and clench my fists I can usually struggle through it.

I think he should, but like most i''m pretty biased as he''s our talisman.

Wonder what neutral perception is on him getting a call up? If he carries on, it''s got to increase - It''s at that point things become possible.

Thing is, i could see him doing a job, but then i was expecting Cody to be top 3 goalscorer in champ this season, so who knows?!

I''m going to be the optimist and say Yes. I can''t see Stuart Pearce leading England out at the Euro''s and I think most managers in and around the Premier League, I.e those that are likely to get the job, will all have noted (and been impressed by) Holty''s all round ability and goal scoring prowess. I think when everyone looks back at the variety of goals he''s scored this season it will prove what I''ve long thought about Grant - our captain has the all round striking game to make it at international level. I highly doubt he''s gone unnoticed by Harry Redknapp - and I think he''d pick him too should the bookies favourite get the job. So, if Grant keeps up what he''s been doing his whole life then I''m sure all his sheer hard work and dedication will come to fruition - as it always has. There''s a fairytale story in the making there - I''m absolutely convinced of that.

After the game here in Sweden, they really thought he should be in the

squad. The "experts" in the programe after the game really seem to have a

soft spot for Holt...Would be really weird to have Holt playing

for England vs Sweden, of course I would like Sweden to win, but at the

same time I would like Holt to score...

If he was 5 years younger, I''d think he''d definitely get the call-up - but sadly, I think his age will go against him. His age probably wouldn''t be a factor if he''d played before for England, but I don''t think he''ll get a first call-up now (and of course, he''s a Norwich player, as others have said).

He should get a chance-he has proved himself and scored goals in the Premiership, some of them absolute quality-at Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea...Man Utd (oh look Pearce, he''s scored against three of the bigger clubs)-as for yesterday, talk about confidence and self belief. Outstanding.

His age shouldn''t count against him-the England team should be picked with one thought in mind and thats the win the match in question, else perform for a period of 4-6 weeks every two years. Its a "now" thing internationally, you don''t build for the future at full international level, thats what the U-21''s are for. So, with that in mind, yes, he should get his opportunity, just as Ruddy should have done by now, no question.

Picking the likes of Campbell et al smacks of something and anything other than picking the players in form and, in the case of forwards, scoring goals-it says the FA and Manager can''t look beyond the obvious-if he plays for ''x'', hey, he MUST be good. That and appeasing the fans who will buy the tickets to watch ''their'' players. There is, I am sure, an element of  "he only plays for Norwich" about it, just as there will be for players at Swansea and, now, for Crouchie at Stoke.

Picking five forwards for the Euro''s right now- Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch and Holt. Plenty of goalscorers in midfield as well, notably Young.

It might just be me but I have yet to be impressed by all the hype about Sturridge as well-if he was the bright young hope that everyone says he is, then playing on the right wouldn''t bother him or his game-I don''t think a player at a top 4 club who yearns to play international football should be saying he can only play in the one position,if thats the case, then he isn''t the player he thinks he is. Rooney can play several roles, even Holty puts in a shift in a wide position and makes chances and delivers them. But Sturridge-you can feel the sulk from your sofa when he isn''t up front and waiting for the ball to be passed to him. Would still take Drogba over him if I was a Chelsea fan and Chelsea Manager, come to that.

He deserves to, he could probably fit into any team/system. Offers something no other England striker does currently. But will probably be ignored because he''s ''too old''.

I personally think, who ever is in charge of the Euros this summer, should just take the 23 best players on form from this season, ignore reputation, ignore age. I don''t even know if the next full time manager will be in charge at the Euros, so it doesn''t really matter about anything else.

And then after the Euros, start building for the future, which does not mean disregard every player over the age of 25, you still need some of that experience and quality. But there are clearly some of the older players who just aren''t quite up to the job for England now.

Holty for England!!!

While I love GH - for england - really?  Look how Ian Wright shone in the prem but was simply not good enough at international level.

Strikers are a real problem for england.   We should take 5 but who?   Rooney is suspended but will go.  Beyond him there is a real lack of talent

Bent would go - but is a doubtful one due to injury

Of the "old guard!" you then have zamora. crouch and defoe (Heskey, CCole out of the question completely for me)   Neither have had sparkling seasons but likewise if they hit form and fitness now could go along - and ahead of grant, both have some international experience.  I cant say either fill me with confidence but defoe is not playing for spurs, does not add enough in build up and misses to many;  for england I think Defoe has only scored against minnows while Crouch has the better record overall. Zamora?  Looking so poor in a poor QPR side and not the same player as last season

Of the new players coming through we have Campbell, Sturridge & Wellbeck. Campbell again is returning from injury, was sold from Manure for a reason, and apart from his wonder goal against us has been out shone by maclean.   Wellbeck?   I think his limitations were shown up against Zak to be honest.  Which leaves Sturridge - again a quiet season but its been hard for anyone on Chelsea to shine this year.  Of the three I think he would offer england the most.  Danny Graham could make it

So pick the bones from that? Talk about choosing left overs.

So having started by saying Grant is not international standard its nearly impossible to argue against him not making the squad, in form, strong & fit. (the negatives are lack of pace and conceeding free kicks - its even less contact sport at that level)  Can England take both crouch and holt?  Both good technical players who provide good link up play but lacking any pace. 

Rooney goes - as does bent if he can show his fitness.   Taking more than one of the youngsters is a risk for me,  none are really good enough, in form or proven - Sturridge has pace & power and would be my pick there.  Thats 3.  So both holt and crouch?  probably yes for me,  but can see only one going with another pacey striker as a partner - defoe or wellbeck probably...

For me taking neither crouch nor holt is wrong

But then again so is any combination of 5 strikers from those listed above..

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

While I love GH - for england - really?  Look how Ian Wright shone in the prem but was simply not good enough at international level.

[/quote]

Really! remember watching Wrigthy play against Italy in Italy and he was outstanding lone striker and caused the Italians all sorts of problems. I think Wrighty''s problem was he didn''t conform to the requirements.

Without Rooney (for the fiirst 2 games) and Bent then where do we look for goals -if I was placed in charge I would take Holt and play him alongside Defoe and see how our European friends enjoy playing against that.

[quote user="Canarino"]If he was 5 years younger, I''d think he''d definitely get the call-up - but sadly, I think his age will go against him. His age probably wouldn''t be a factor if he''d played before for England, but I don''t think he''ll get a first call-up now (and of course, he''s a Norwich player, as others have said).[/quote]

The Euros are in the summer football is so fickle you have to pick the players playing well at the time.

At least 20% of the young players in this current squad will be either injured out of form or supplanted come the next major tournament.

I would have holt as you need someone with hunger in the squad with this time being their last shot even if its just to remind the others who might have the ....oh well next time when the going gets tough.

If the stats back it up (they) then why the hell not.

He would be incredible for England, the service he would get and the passion and talismanic skills he would provide would be great.

Unfortunately, he wont get a look in because no England manager for a long time has had a pair of balls.

His best chance is if Harry is made manager for the tournament.

And that wouldn''t be a bad thing. We might just rock and roll for once! Can''t be worse than the abject crap we''ve had to put up with since 1990 and 1996.

OTBC

Absolutely not chance what so ever.  Purely because in international football refs clamp down on ''rough and tumble'' burly forwards.  I remember not too long back, a couple of matches Crouch couldn''t do **** all in a game, because each time he jumped for a challenge he was penalised every single time.  The same would happen to Holt.  I''ve loved every second Holt has ruffled feathers of the so called glory premier boys, trouble is foreign refs wouldn''t.

quote user "The Pink''un Role Model" - "Absolutely not chance what so ever.  Purely because in international football refs clamp down on ''rough and tumble'' burly forwards.  I remember not too long back, a couple of matches Crouch couldn''t do **** all in a game, because each time he jumped for a challenge he was penalised every single time.  The same would happen to Holt."

Sorry, RM,  but Grant Holt is not a ''rough and tumble burly forward''.   He is far more than that.   He does occasionally overstep the mark in his tackling, but doesn''t do that all the time, or even every match.   As for his forward play, he is unstoppable when he focuses on the ball.   It''s not rough, its called desire.

Credit where credit is due.