Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

IS IT TIME TO RE-NAME THE GROUND?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Not a big fan of this. If it happens it happens. Money, money bloody money. Anything else we can do?. Maybe build a helicopter pad on top of the glorious money spinner the holiday inn? . We could do helicopter rides and let the rich and famous land on it for a fee. How about sponsor a flood light? Sponsor a corner flag? Why don''t we rename colney? While we are on it we could get the players to change thier names for the season to a sponsor in stead?. Grant "home" insurance , Wesley" car "insurance, Russell pet , Anthony life ect or to different companies.. Steve colmans, simeon next, zak lotus, football these days is ALL about the fecking money. Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzz.... me personally I love "carrow rd" and I''m an "old school" fan dreaming of winning the fa cup this season , not thinkin of how much more cash we can scrape together so we end up buying bloody mercenaries in a few years and pay out stupid wages on them. Oh and don''t even suggest re naming my spiritual home "the barclay" now that would be the end for me...[/quote]

Very funny post Sir and very valid, upto a point.

However, it was a lack of money that had men walking around the touchline with a blanket to collect coins in the dim and distant past.

It was lack of money that caused Chase to dismantle our best ever team.

It was lack of money that caused us to nearly go under one time and it was lack of money that contributed to us dropping into League One.

Rangers have gone into administration today. Portsmouth could be next.

What''s in a name after all?  If a bit of sponsorship contributes to the financial health of this Club in any way shape or form and distances us from the humiliation suffered by those down the road as far as is possible, then I''m on.

[/quote].... fair point broadstairsR. It just seems like football is all about a balance sheet these days. Yes to a certain extent its always been about it but with the amounts of money being thrown around these days its madness. Selling off the "rights" as its called is another example. Football has become soulless. My favourite away ground is the no longer millmoor rotherham, full of old school character . Beats the new IKEA stadiums of derby, coventry and doncaster. Boring zzz. the thing I love about our current squad is the fact we have ex tyre fitters, printers ect plucked from a division or two below or have taken us from two divisions below and they now are doing the business in the top flight. I''m sure they are on handsome wages right now but we don''t have any tevez, suarez type players in our side. That''s what you end up with at this level these days. Soulless money grabbers who would not give two hoots if their respected clubs went down the pan. I know I''m going slightly off track here. I get what the op is saying it sort of makes sense but it just demonstrates to me another thing I hate about "the modern game"

Stop pussyfooting around. If we''re going to sell our soul, let''s do it properly.The Halliburton ArenaThe al-Qaeda Community StandThe RBS Canary accountThe Umbrella Corporation* Family Area*possibly not entirely real

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Heretic!

And I''m disappointed more posters are unable to elucidate their objections rather than just throwing up their hands.

I happen to think ''The Norwich and Peterborough Stand'' is a pretty awful name; even though it''s a pretty awful stand. And I suppose the idea of change is anathema to some people. Do some of you read the initial post or just respond to the other responses. I thought it was balanced and then I got off the fence.

As part of the ground re-development a big sponsor would be lined up which would go into the costings? I wouldn''t want to watch NCFC in the ''Hellesdon Leather Furniture Stadium'' or ''The Giant Pet Store Stadium'' but other names are prestigious and appropriate.

For me Aviva is a good example.

[/quote]

Yeah, and burn him as well!

Can see this happening in a few years if we become an established prem team, probably at the same time the capacity is increased.

The club have to be looking at every potential revenue source and ''Carrow Road'' as a brand is next to worthless to the club, so if we can get say £10M naming rights money, it is a no brainer. After all, as others have pointed out, the stadium will still be on Carrow Road. If you can re-name parts of the stadium, why not go the whole hog?

The Aviva Stadium, Carrow Road featuring

The Bernard Matthews Turkey Enclosure - away supporters only.

And if we end up calling it "the aviva arena " what happens if we drop a division and aviva get bored of us and don''t see us worth sponsoring anymore? Do we then sell the rights to the next highest bidder " johns pet shop " that is no longer 10k but £10?

[quote user="barclaystand"]No. Carrow Road should NEVER be re-named.[/quote]This. And remember ''Aviva'' doesn''t mean anything at all. I was there on ''Aviva Day'' with my ''Aviva'' cupcake and my ''Aviva'' lolly and was asked to toast ''Aviva''. My ''Aviva'' plastic glass stayed on the table.We tried googling what it meant. Came up with a French bidet company.

I think it will be renamed one day after a big business,the money will of course be welcome,however i certainly won''t be calling it by it''s new name.

It will always be Carrow Road to me,as it is The River End and The South Stand.

I''m happy for the stadium to have a name if it brings us money. It doesn''t have one right now. Just known by the road it''s on. I find it strange that it didn''t become "The New Nest" when it was first built. Maybe someone who was around at that time could shed some light on why. Over to you Tilly.......

Getiing paid for giving it a name would be money for old rope really. Much sooner they gave the whole ground a sponsor rather than rename The Barclay, a stand which has so much history.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Pete - this is not an issue for the law, but rather the strategy of the particular sponsor concerned.[/quote]

So glad that one is sorted out, couldn''t face another club calling us naughty names again

This issue is very divisive. No compromise from either side.

Perhaps we should compromise and call half the stadium Carrow Road and the other half the Aviva. The River End (nb.) could be Carrow Road and vice versa.

It would be a first, as would somebody being banned from this board for being completely stupid.

In Delia I trust.

The Binner''s (Binners''?) ground could be called:"The Stadium of Shite"as a reference to a compost manufatcturer.

Whatever it was named it would still be on Carrow Road.

The New Nest

Carrow Road

How come us people are on here tonight when we should be on a romantic evening with our beloveds.[:^)][U]

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]I think re-naming the stadium is a must do (i like the sound of the Aviva stadium and i am sure Aviva would be very interested), we just need to get the timing right.At the end of this season, we should at least finish in a comfortable mid table position. I know people are talking about europe, but i don''t think it will happen this year, unless we make it to the FA final, but a lot of that will come down to the luck of the draw. With that being the case, i am sure we could get a six figure yearly salary for naming rights of our stadium, but i am sure that after consolidation of 3 years in the prem, the rights will be worth a lot more. If we were to make it into Europe say two years from now, i imagine the naming rights could be sold for at least 3x the price we could get this summer. So while i think it should be done, i think perhaps we should take a gamble, wait a few years then assess it, our revenue stream is fine atm so it is not essential.But like i said, this is a must do i think for the future, cash to our club is way more valuable than the sentemental value of our grounds name.[/quote]

Is it possible to have 2 AVIVA STADIUMS by law, or is the one in Ireland going to be renamed as well

[/quote]We had a situation like this in Sydney a few years back, which caused a load of confusion.The 2 biggest rugby / football stadiums in Sydney are;1) Stadium Australia (Olympic Stadium from the 2000 Olympics)2) Sydney Football Stadium (SFS for short)Sometime after the Olympics, they sold the naming rights to Stadium Australia to telecommunications company Telstra. So, Stadium Australia was renamed Telstra Stadium.About a year later, The SFS also decided to cash in and sold their naming rights as well. The rights ended up going to a mortgage broking company, called Aussie Home Loans. The place was renamed Aussie Stadium.So, we had a situation where The old Stadium Australia was now Telstra Stadium, but The SFS was now called Aussie Stadium, a mighty close name to the old name of Stadium Australia. We had situations where people were turning up to the wrong ground for games - which are in good traffic at least 45 mins from each other.To further add to the confusion, the naming rights of Stadium Australia has since been resold to the ANZ Bank (now ANZ Stadium), while the Aussie Home Loans deal for The SFS was not renewed, so the name has now returned to the old name of The SFS.If we were to change the name of Carrow Road, you need to acknowledge that it will probably be up for renewal every 5 or so years, and therefore the ground name will also be changeable around this time-frame.

I can see the benefits of it but for me it''s a no. Should the day come that we re-name our stadium, well that will be a sad day indeed [:''(]

No. And I still refer to the South Stand and the River End as well. It''s bad enough that we have to have Aviva plastered all over our shirts without having to play in the Aviva Dome or whatever.

It''s bad enough that we have to have Aviva, the UK''s biggest insurance company (world''s sixth biggest) plastered over our shirts? Perhaps you would rather we broker a sponsership deal with Merv''s Bakeries?

Thank God for Aviva, quite frankly.

I remember when the shirt sponsorship thing was open to offers, so to speak-and Banham Poultry were mentioned as one of the possibilities.

Maybe a clever person could mock up a shirt with their logo etc on it!!

If naming the ground gets some more £££ in, then yes, why not. Like so many others on here, I still refer to the River End, South Stand etc etc-and it''ll always be Carrow Road.

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="barclaystand"]No.
Carrow Road should NEVER be re-named.

[/quote]

This.

And remember ''Aviva'' doesn''t mean anything at all.

I was there on ''Aviva Day'' with my ''Aviva'' cupcake and my ''Aviva'' lolly and was asked to toast ''Aviva''. My ''Aviva'' plastic glass stayed on the table.

We tried googling what it meant. Came up with a French bidet company.
[/quote]

Spot on.

Aviva was spawned out of Norwich Union (who really DID have a link to this fine City), merging with CGU. We have nothing to connect us closely with Aviva now whatsoever, apart from the fact they have some offices here.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

I remember when the shirt sponsorship thing was open to offers, so to speak-and Banham Poultry were mentioned as one of the possibilities.[/quote]

I hear 1p5wich are interested in Banham as a shirt sponsor, and I for one would love it. They could have a hen on thier shirts but i''d prefer a huge cock.

If it were to raise a substantial amount of money then I''d be all for it. I would imagine in most of our minds it would still be Carra Rud, and would be referred to as such. If we get a large pot of cash for the transfer kitty just so the media can refer to it as the Aviva stadium, or whatever, then take the cash!

I think you all need to accept that we need a new stand. That is going to cost a lot of money.

As with ''The Jarrold'' (and I cannot believe a department store can afford to put that much cash in) there will be a new sponsor to take away part of the costs.

We are now part of a worldwide brand. It is amazing where you can go in the word now and EPL clubs and players are common currency so a sponsor with worldwide exposure would be interested in being mentioned everytime a Norwich home game is mentioned. Like it or not, I bet many more people have now heard of ''Sports Direct'' and brand recognition is what advertising is all about.

I would accept a stadium name. We would still be located on Carrow Road; and I would expect the present sponsor names to go to lounges and other areas because they are locally associated and I don''t see Jarrolds or N&P expanding into the Far East for example.

In the case of some sponsors there would be the opportunity to develop corporate space within the new development so offsetting their own costs perhaps.

We need more capacity, we need to fund it without going into more debt or depleting the squad, for me this is a runner.

I would add too that Government has no money; banks have no money; the only people sitting on substantial cash are corporations who have been keeping their powder dry during the recession.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

I remember when the shirt sponsorship thing was open to offers, so to speak-and Banham Poultry were mentioned as one of the possibilities.[/quote]

I hear 1p5wich are interested in Banham as a shirt sponsor, and I for one would love it. They could have a hen on thier shirts but i''d prefer a huge cock.

[/quote]1p5wich many years ago were also sponsored by Fisons ,a fertiliser company ,feel free to make your own jokes

How about renaming carrow road "The Mustard Pot " (runs for cover )or perhaps the "Unilever Stadium" as they own Colemans ????But to be honest it should stay as Carrow Road ,I still refer to two of the stands as the south stand and the river end ,even though they were renamed years ago .

Think I posted a thread similar to this a few years ago and didn''t want it to be called Aviva Park etc. But my stance has softened to the point that if it helped us become more established and we could use it to pay for redevelopment of the city stand and make the ground bigger then now while we are in the premiership would be the best chance to do it has got the most exposure and people are more likely to pay more.

In reality, Arsenal, Bolton, Stoke, Newcastle, Wigan, Man City, Swansea are all sponsored in the premier league and are getting a source of income we aren''t . Although we would be in the same boat as Newcastle naming a traditional stadium, I would hope most people would see the bigger picture and back it for the good of the development of the club even if they are holding their nose as they walk past the signs.