Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Doncaster trying to get match postponed

Surely they''ve left it too late? Wouldn''t the FA say they should have got some loans in, as this is the kind of situation the loan market is for? Don''t Doncaster have any academy players to step up?That would be really unfair on all fans concerned - theirs and ours - who already made arrangements to travel to the game tomorrow.

"Surely they''ve left it too late? Wouldn''t the FA say they should have got some loans in, as this is the kind of situation the loan market is for? Don''t Doncaster have any academy players to step up?

That would be really unfair on all fans concerned - theirs and ours - who already made arrangements to travel to the game tomorrow."

exactly, after Leeds away I came back to Norwich instead of Nottingham so I could make this game after missing the last Tuesday night game, and I booked train tickets travelling back to uni first thing Wednesday morning, would have been a real waste of money and missing some lectures if this game gets postponed

My other half won''t be happy, we were supposed to go to Scotland on Sunday to see her family (she hasn''t seen them since August) but she gave in and said we could travel up on Wednesday so I could see the match.  [8-|]

It might also encourage other clubs to seek the same call off if they have a few injuries. Who would then decide who was injured ?

As it is the game is played by 11 players against 11 players. Doncaster have 11 players

The game can be abandoned if one team does not have seven players on the pitch

They only seem to have had 15 fit players on saturday ( going on they only had 4 subs ) but because this is through injury I dont think it can be called off, be different if they had flu or something. IMO its swings and roundabouts you take the rough with the smooth. If we have to wait we will play them with a fully fit squad where as if we play them tomorrow they would have had lots of injuries. I dont know the rules but I seem to remember us signing players from Wroxham a number of years ago to play in a couple of games. It seems a bit unfair if Swansea could play them with 15 and we cant because they have 13.

As a side issue calling this off tomorrow could create problems, if its snowing or something you watch out for the game being called off. I bet loads of people get there tomorrow if it was called off to find out then.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

As a side issue calling this off tomorrow could create problems, if its snowing or something you watch out for the game being called off. I bet loads of people get there tomorrow if it was called off to find out then.

[/quote]That''s a good point LiK. Especially for those without internet access.

We followed their team bus for a fair way on the way back from Leeds today and it was looking pretty full so I think it would be fair to say that they have filled their team up. I would assume with youth players. Oh and Wayne Thomas is huge and angry! LOL

According to the When Saturday Comes site: -

“Shortly before Christmas, 1997, Middlesbrough failed to fulfil a fixture at Ewood Park, crying off with 24 hours’ notice citing an outbreak of flu that, coupled with a spate of injuries, had deprived manager Bryan Robson of 16 first-team players. A month later, with Boro lying bottom of the table, the Premier League fined the club £50,000 and docked them three points”

That season, I think they were relegated by one or two points.

Unless pretty much the whole squad was struck down by flu or food posioning or something it''s not going to be called off.

Yes, Doncaster have a lot of injuries, which is unfortunate, but why should we be punished because of that?  Which is what would happen.  We would play them at a later date, with them having more players to pick from and possibly in a better run of form and also we would have an extra fixture to fit in somewhere at what will most probably be a very critical time of the season for us.

Anyway, don''t (at least they did at the start of the season) Portsmouth have an unbelievably small squad?  I think it was something like 13 or 15 players they had.  They just had to get on with it and play their games.

So, although through different circumstances, a small squad didn''t stop Portsmouth fulfiilling their fixtures then it should have no bearing on Doncaster fulfilling theirs.

Doncaster are in a very poor run of form, no doubt affected by some extent by their injuries, and as a result they possibly think they have little chance of getting anything from the game, which is why they may be wanting to get the match postponed (if indeed they do), well tough siht!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

According to the When Saturday Comes site: -

“Shortly before Christmas, 1997, Middlesbrough failed to fulfil a fixture at Ewood Park, crying off with 24 hours’ notice citing an outbreak of flu that, coupled with a spate of injuries, had deprived manager Bryan Robson of 16 first-team players. A month later, with Boro lying bottom of the table, the Premier League fined the club £50,000 and docked them three points”

That season, I think they were relegated by one or two points.

[/quote]

The points would have been awarded to Rovers?  Don''t such things get recorded as a 2-0 loss for the team at fault?

I remember a few years ago when tottenham''s main players were struck down with food poisoning and therefore lost to west ham on the last day of the season, arguably costing them a champions league place - no action was taken before or after the game, so I don''t think there''s any risk of our game being called off.

I used to live up there a few years ago and their former owner brought in Sunday League players when they were being run into the ground...cost them their league place eventually. I went to their final league game against Colchester (I think) and the abiding memory apart from the 3 (at least) pitch invasions was the goalkeeper being about the size of Neville Southall...after he''d had a good few extra meals.

Lower down the football pyramid (and it''s still the same FA), if you can''t fulfil a fixture and your opponents can, the other side get the points and you are fined by your League, as others have mentioned. I don''t know about being given a score of 2-0, in my experience it''s been just 3 points to the side which is able to play. Postponement is certainly not in our interests, why would we agree to that? You might have a situation where both teams were finding it difficult to field a side, and maybe in that unusual situation you could seek postponement and rearrangement by mutual consent, although I can''t see it happening at this level!. However, where would you draw the line? They probably still won''t have much of a squad by the time their next match comes around.

On their official site the team profile lists 30 senior players. If 14 are injured, that still leaves 16 players plus youth team players. I can''t see how the league officials could justify calling the match off. I''ve stopped feeling sorry about their plight now! OTBC!

I dont get this, they have 32 professional players listed on their website plus Euell and Moussa which is 34 and they say 12 are now out for tomorrow, so that leaves them 22 players to choose from although I understand that 5/6 of them are academy kids with no first team experience so that leaves them 16 to choose from.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]On their official site the team profile lists 30 senior players. If 14 are injured, that still leaves 16 players plus youth team players. I can''t see how the league officials could justify calling the match off. I''ve stopped feeling sorry about their plight now! OTBC![/quote]

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/TeamHome/0,,10329,00.html

There''s 33 on there but 1 is out on loan = 32

Unsuprisingly there is nothing on the official Donacster website about any claims of trying to get the game called off

However there is a simpleton posting a thread on this forum starting a rumour

Perhaps Sideshow Dim reads the Sky football website or The Sun .......

.... or more likely actually writes for them

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]On their official site the team profile lists 30 senior players. If 14 are injured, that still leaves 16 players plus youth team players. I can''t see how the league officials could justify calling the match off. I''ve stopped feeling sorry about their plight now! OTBC![/quote]

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/TeamHome/0,,10329,00.html

There''s 33 on there but 1 is out on loan = 32

[/quote]

I have no sympathy for them so please dont take this the wrong way, on Saturday they only had 15 fit players and picked up at least 2 more sserious injuries. After saying that I am sure they will be forced to play academy players but there is nothing anywhere to say this has really happened even on radio Sheffields website

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]
<a href="http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-5-fixtures_2293633_2125729#29">Fixture Rules</a>

[/quote]

Following that link I cant see how many players they have to have injured to call the game off or what the penalties are if they do?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]
<a href="http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-5-fixtures_2293633_2125729#29">Fixture Rules</a>

[/quote]

Ooops -

[URL=http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-5-fixtures_2293633_2125729]Fixture Rules[/URL]