Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Grant Holt - Cheat!

He went down in the 2nd half and it was a 100% obvious he dived! And the referee was correct to show him the yellow card, but why did he go down?

He was infront of the defender and if he had taken a shot would have scored or certainly caused the keeper into making a save and win a corner or have someone following in to put away the rebound!

I think holt has done brilliant this season, but he needs to sort this out!!!!!

Wouldn''t call it cheating because unfortunately its part of the game now and very clever but i have to totally agree that he goes down in promising positions which does wind me up, if a penalty and a red card is shown we all cheer and are possible a goal up but when it doesn''t work like Hoolahans penalty, you look a bit of an idiot.

Ive gotta be controversial and somewhat agree with Nana.

Was a BLATENT dive. Even though our section all yelled at the ref it was a peno as soon as it was all said and done we laughed and said " blatent dive "

Holt should have just put his foot through the ball, rather than dive so blatently.

Sure its part of his game etc etc, but there is a time and a place.

When through like that I would rather him to have toe-poked or sky''d it than fallen over like a wounded bear !!!

Chuffing rediculous.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Ive gotta be controversial and somewhat agree with Nana. Was a BLATENT dive. Even though our section all yelled at the ref it was a peno as soon as it was all said and done we laughed and said " blatent dive " Holt should have just put his foot through the ball, rather than dive so blatently. Sure its part of his game etc etc, but there is a time and a place. When through like that I would rather him to have toe-poked or sky''d it than fallen over like a wounded bear !!! Chuffing rediculous.[/quote]

Him winning freekicks just outside the box and near the corner flag is great but when he does he when he is through on goal is a part of his game he needs to cut out because he could score even more goals.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Its part of his game. As it is part of many other players games.[/quote]

This states that you are happy with Andy Johnson when to all intents and purposes he ( cant say cheat anymore ) did something acceptable to have us relegated. I could go with your comments had Holt only have done this once, but thats 3 times since Sheff Utd which in my opinion was also a dive. Afraid we cant have it both ways, acceptable for our players but other teams players are cheats.

I still think Andy Johnson cheated to get us relegated, therefore you have to conclude that Holt tried to cheat today.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Its part of his game. As it is part of many other players games.[/quote]

This states that you are happy with Andy Johnson when to all intents and purposes he ( cant say cheat anymore ) did something acceptable to have us relegated. I could go with your comments had Holt only have done this once, but thats 3 times since Sheff Utd which in my opinion was also a dive. Afraid we cant have it both ways, acceptable for our players but other teams players are cheats.

I still think Andy Johnson cheated to get us relegated, therefore you have to conclude that Holt tried to cheat today.

[/quote]He did cheat, and it was as blatant a dive as I think I''ve ever seen by a City player. Using your nous to accentuate contact is one thing, but there was no contact whatsoever and he just hurled himself theatrically to the ground. I absolutely love Holty, but it''s starting to get a bit ridiculous now.

Its part of the game now, not a nice part, but part of the game.  Fairly sure you could go through every team in the league and find a player whos dived to win a free-kick or a penalty.  Swings and roundabouts, it happens against us enough, and Holts won us a few points doing it.  Remember we''re nasty Norwich these days, so what if we pick up a few extra points through theatrics, it dont bother me, because next week Yakubu or King may do the same against us. 

Yes, he was trying to win a penalty but that doesn''t make him a cheat!

He receives the ball, knows he''s got defenders chasing back; he moves across them and waits for contact. There WAS contact, without a shadow of a doubt, and he goes down. Outside the box its a free kick.

Yes, Holt should have tried to put the chance away, and yes, Hoolahan should have tucked his penalty away. But it annoys me at how quickly people turn on players that have done so much for us. How about showing the players the kind of loyalty that we demand of them, rather than looking for an opportunity to slag them off?

[quote user="crab"]Yes, he was trying to win a penalty but that doesn''t make him a cheat! He receives the ball, knows he''s got defenders chasing back; he moves across them and waits for contact. There WAS contact, without a shadow of a doubt, and he goes down. Outside the box its a free kick. Yes, Holt should have tried to put the chance away, and yes, Hoolahan should have tucked his penalty away. But it annoys me at how quickly people turn on players that have done so much for us. How about showing the players the kind of loyalty that we demand of them, rather than looking for an opportunity to slag them off?[/quote]

I dont think people are turning on Holt, what is being said is you cant have it both ways, you cant call Andy Johnson a cheat and then say it is ok for Holt to do it as he plays for Norwich thats ok. If holt was playing for Preston today and did that would you call him a cheat ? When you see a replay you will realise Holt dived, yes there was contact but Holt was almost on the floor by then. It seems Holt had this reputation long before he joined us and unfortunately refs know all about players reputations.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]He went down in the 2nd half and it was a 100% obvious he dived! And the referee was correct to show him the yellow card, but why did he go down? He was infront of the defender and if he had taken a shot would have scored or certainly caused the keeper into making a save and win a corner or have someone following in to put away the rebound! I think holt has done brilliant this season, but he needs to sort this out!!!!!

[/quote]Nana, you write some crap on here, but this time you have got it spot on........

[quote user="I am a Banana"]He went down in the 2nd half and it was a 100% obvious he dived! And the referee was correct to show him the yellow card, but why did he go down? He was infront of the defender and if he had taken a shot would have scored or certainly caused the keeper into making a save and win a corner or have someone following in to put away the rebound! I think holt has done brilliant this season, but he needs to sort this out!!!!![/quote]

First time I''ve agreed with you [:)] Couldn''t understand myself why he''d rather dive for a penalty than shoot at the goal. Embarrassing [:$]

You don''t call your own player a cheat. He was trying to win a penalty. That isn''t cheating. He knew contact was coming and waited for it. Not everything is black and white.

I know people are disappointed with the result, but why have a pop at our star player when you''ve just watched possibly the most cynical team to come to Carrow road this season. If Holt had got the penalty decision given, if would have been everything PNE deserved.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]He went down in the 2nd half and it was a 100% obvious he dived! And the referee was correct to show him the yellow card, but why did he go down? He was infront of the defender and if he had taken a shot would have scored or certainly caused the keeper into making a save and win a corner or have someone following in to put away the rebound! I think holt has done brilliant this season, but he needs to sort this out!!!!!

[/quote]Nana, you write some crap on here, but this time you have got it spot on........

[/quote]

[Y]Only sensible posts from Nana now he''s 18,and he''s got this one spot on.

If PL was the top manager that so many assume he is then I''m afraid to say he would have sorted out Holt and some of his ridiculous behaviour a long time ago. Fact is that as long as his theatrics and clear conning of refs works in our favour then the boy PL is obviously happy.

''All part of the game''you say - maybe but there''s no reason why we should lower ourselves to the cheating levels of others. Holt has a terrible reputation now and refs will (quite rightly) be very wary now of giving us a penalty whenever he goes down. He will take fearful stick at Portman Road and only has himself to blame.

The so annoying thing about all this is that the guy is actually a damn good player and if he just concentrated on playing the game, competing for every ball and battled to keep on his feet, I''m sure he would have even more goals by now! 

[quote user="crab"]You don''t call your own player a cheat. He was trying to win a penalty. That isn''t cheating. [/quote]It''s completely cheating.  You don''t "try to win" penalties.  If you "try to win" one then you are by definition cheating.

[quote user="G"]Wouldn''t call it cheating because unfortunately its part of the game now and very clever [/quote]Cheating is part of the game now, unfortunately.  While I''m glad to see the "nice little Norwich City" tag going somewhat out of the window, I''d prefer it if our players didn''t cheat.

Perhaps Lambert encourages it.  You think Fergie doesn''t encourage Rooney to make the most of ''contact''?  Managers know their best players are gonna be hit harder than others so encourage the star players to make the most of it.  Doesn''t make Lambert a bad manager, the game is evolving every day, and we have to move with it.  Its not lowering ourselves to it, its being wise.  I haven''t seen todays incident, it sounds like Holt was a bit silly, but hes won us a few extra points this season so what the heck.  Perhaps he could''ve gone on and scored but we''ll never know.  I''ll bet there have been plenty of times where hes stayed on his feet and missed. 

If what i saw of his response to stick at the Leeds game is anything to go by, its water off a ducks back.  Seriously mate, there have been a lot bigger players made bigger moves accross to rivals that will get more stick than Holt gets a portaloo road.  I''m sure he''ll be relishing it and there will be nothing he''ll want more than to score down there...

He is a bloody good player, but hes only doing what he feels is best for the team,...

If you take the opinion Grant could and should have shot fair enough.

If you think he is a cheat you have been taken in by Colin W@nker and probably believe opposition strikers and defenders play with total Corinthian spirit. This guy is our talisman and is carrying the attack on his own.

All players are looking for every advantage and win some, lose some.  I bet the situation helped persuade the ref to point to the spot minutes later though.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="G"]Wouldn''t call it cheating because unfortunately its part of the game now and very clever [/quote]

Cheating is part of the game now, unfortunately.  While I''m glad to see the "nice little Norwich City" tag going somewhat out of the window, I''d prefer it if our players didn''t cheat.

[/quote]

I''m happy to see our team ''cheat'' because we aren''t the only ones and there aren''t severe enough punishments for it. If it wins us freekicks, penalties and points i couldn''t really be bothered.

[quote user="crab"]You don''t call your own player a cheat. He was trying to win a penalty. That isn''t cheating. He knew contact was coming and waited for it. Not everything is black and white. I know people are disappointed with the result, but why have a pop at our star player when you''ve just watched possibly the most cynical team to come to Carrow road this season. If Holt had got the penalty decision given, if would have been everything PNE deserved.[/quote]

I think when you see it again you will realise he did not wait for the contact he dived. Yes I would have cheered as loudly as everybody else had we have got the penalty. The reason it becomes embarrassing is since the Sheff Utd game he has tried this 3 times and lets face it that penalty was a dive. Robbie Savage has a reputation as a hard man who crosses the line that is because he kicks people. Likewise if you throw yourself on the floor you gain a reputation as a diver not by your own supporters but by every other club. It actually works against us as we are now not getting penalties that we should get.

[quote user="G"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="G"]Wouldn''t call it cheating because unfortunately its part of the game now and very clever [/quote]Cheating is part of the game now, unfortunately.  While I''m glad to see the "nice little Norwich City" tag going somewhat out of the window, I''d prefer it if our players didn''t cheat.[/quote]

I''m happy to see our team ''cheat'' because we aren''t the only ones and there aren''t severe enough punishments for it. If it wins us freekicks, penalties and points i couldn''t really be bothered.

[/quote]I''m not happy to see it but you are right, there''s no point disadvantaging yourself by not cheating when every other bugger''s up to it.

Gaining an advantage is one thing but when you are through on goal with a free look at goal and you are a "goalscorer" why would you not try and score?

This action could have cost us today just as much as the Penalty miss (which actually emphasises my point) you don''t always get an advantage! If Holt had shot missed and been fouled then we might have got a penalty anyway.

Just because everybody else does it, doesn''t make it right or acceptable in my eyes.

But there will always be times in games when we dont get penalties when we should.  Refs cant be everywhere, i dont buy the arguement that refs become wise to it.  Clearly they have certain players in their minds, but these refs only officiate at 1 or 2 of our games a season, the only ref i can think of who holds a grudge against us is D''urso.  They dont deliberately go out of their way to not award us decisions, because they face the punishment if they do a major cock up. They take into account player reactions from both sides, you can easily see when someones guilty and fan reactions.  Realistically, how many pens have we missed out on where we should''ve got one?  Not very many from recent memory, thats for sure.  There aren''t many refs who clearly cheat player out of decisions.  The only reputation Holt is getting is from opposition managers who are on the receiving end of it.

Have some people never seen Premier League games before? The likes of Drogba, Heskey, Carew all going down to win a free kick or a penalty is a guaranteed occurrence in every game these players are involved in, and it''s the same with Holty. To say we shouldn''t lower ourselves to this behaviour is ridiculous, it''s part of todays game and if the ref things it''s not a foul he will all it that way. However I doubt you''ll see Drogba going down when clean though on goal with a great chance to score........it''s all decision making!

He''s getting a reputation, and rather than trying to clean his act up, he seems to be getting more and more determined to ''double bluff'' referees by trying his luck more often. And then there''s this increasing trend of backing into defenders a bit, not jumping for the header and then stumbling forward to make out he''s been pushed. Is it just me or are these things that he did rarely or never last season?I find it very hard to criticise our manager and captain in the same breath, but between them they really need to sort it out. The Grant Holt of last season played like if he was hit by a car, the car would mangle around him and he''d still be standing. Most players are ''professional'' enough to know when they can milk something a bit, but it''s getting beyond a joke now. Come on Horse, you''re better on your feet.

Holt looked a bit daft by diving instead of shooting. But then Hoolahan looked even sillier by chipping a penalty instead of blasting it. Then Wilbrahams gets a golden chance to become a local hero but decided he wasn''t up to it. Not a good day alround today.