Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Grant Holt - Cheat!

Oddly enough, Nutty, back then, people felt like they needed to voice their opinions. This was, for most, the best of a number of bad options.

Now, people recognise the crap the regular posters spout here and steer understandably clear.

The sad thing about all of this is the acceptance of cheating as "part of the game". The irony of course is if an Ippo player dives, wins a penalty from which Ippo score the winning goal in the forthcoming "derby" I am sure a lot of you will be signing a completely different tune. The truth is that football is becoming so cynical, the authorities do nothing about it and most worrying of all the fans just shrug their shoulders and accept it (except of course if their team is on the receiving end).....

Grant Holt isn''t the sharpest of tools in the box it has to be said, his red cards and dives are silly. Getting bookings for arguing with refs or petulant challenges as he has done in the past for us wont help either.Holtys a fantastic player but i do feel he sometimes leaves the brain in the changing room.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Grant Holt isn''t the sharpest of tools in the box it has to be said, his red cards and dives are silly. Getting bookings for arguing with refs or petulant challenges as he has done in the past for us wont help either.Holtys a fantastic player but i do feel he sometimes leaves the brain in the changing room.

[/quote]

Is that from your experience from playing in the second tier of English football, with all the pressures applied in the modern day game? Would be useful to see how you would cope with 25,000 people urging you on. I''m guessing you''d wet yourself in the tunnel :)

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Oddly enough, Nutty, back then, people felt like they needed to voice their opinions. This was, for most, the best of a number of bad options. Now, people recognise the crap the regular posters spout here and steer understandably clear.[/quote]

Maybe it was a different colour crap then. Because there was plenty of crap then as there is now. It was crap like the Kevan Platt thread. Platt leaves for personal reasons, which should be reason enough. But we then get five pages of crap until the guy writes to the press saying it''s personal reasons.

Perhaps we should just accept that one persons crap is anothers interesting thread and leave it at that. Post if you want or stay away if you want - but I reckon it''s the height of hypocracy to keep popping in saying "this is why I don''t post on here" followed by a post[:S]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The sad thing about all of this is the acceptance of cheating as "part of the game". The irony of course is if an Ippo player dives, wins a penalty from which Ippo score the winning goal in the forthcoming "derby" I am sure a lot of you will be signing a completely different tune. The truth is that football is becoming so cynical, the authorities do nothing about it and most worrying of all the fans just shrug their shoulders and accept it (except of course if their team is on the receiving end).....[/quote]

Spot on that man!! Shades of .........''you don''t grass on one of your own'' kind of attitude I''d say.

Pity that many fans (of all clubs) just can''t accept they''re being totally hypocritical and justifying double standards with this kind of thing. Imagine this scenario tonight - we''re 1-0 up with  a few minutes to go.    Holt (may as well be him but could be any City player) suddenly punches an opponent in our box with no provocation save maybe a bit of verbals. They score the penalty, we then let in another and lose. Holt suspended for three games. Bang goes three points and with it, quite likely, the play off hopes as well as we know how important Holt is to us. Would these fans still stand by him? You bet they would, ....''he''s one of ours'' you see!!

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The sad thing about all of this is the acceptance of cheating as "part of the game". The irony of course is if an Ippo player dives, wins a penalty from which Ippo score the winning goal in the forthcoming "derby" I am sure a lot of you will be signing a completely different tune. The truth is that football is becoming so cynical, the authorities do nothing about it and most worrying of all the fans just shrug their shoulders and accept it (except of course if their team is on the receiving end).....[/quote]

Spot on that man!! Shades of .........''you don''t grass on one of your own'' kind of attitude I''d say.

Pity that many fans (of all clubs) just can''t accept they''re being totally hypocritical and justifying double standards with this kind of thing. Imagine this scenario tonight - we''re 1-0 up with  a few minutes to go.    Holt (may as well be him but could be any City player) suddenly punches an opponent in our box with no provocation save maybe a bit of verbals. They score the penalty, we then let in another and lose. Holt suspended for three games. Bang goes three points and with it, quite likely, the play off hopes as well as we know how important Holt is to us. Would these fans still stand by him? You bet they would, ....''he''s one of ours'' you see!!

[/quote]If Holt over-reacts and concedes a penalty, then i''d say he''s an idiot, but move on. Because, he''s a fantastic player. And he is one of ours, which is why calling him a cheat on a public forum is almost unforgiveable in my opinion.If you want 11 Andy Hughes playing, look elsewhere!

Wait until Holt is out of the team for an extended period and see how much he is missed.We''ve already seen this to some extent in the past... so be grateful that we have him and enjoy the showmanship he brings to the game.... but of course that contradicts Delia''s sense of family minded fair play doesn''t it? You know, the one that saw us in Division 3 for the first time in 50 years?Get a grip you nambies and take what''s given to us or die.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Wait until Holt is out of the team for an extended period and see how much he is missed.We''ve already seen this to some extent in the past... so be grateful that we have him and enjoy the showmanship he brings to the game.... but of course that contradicts Delia''s sense of family minded fair play doesn''t it? You know, the one that saw us in Division 3 for the first time in 50 years?Get a grip you nambies and take what''s given to us or die.

[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Wait until Holt is out of the team for an extended period and see how much he is missed. We''ve already seen this to some extent in the past... so be grateful that we have him and enjoy the showmanship he brings to the game.... but of course that contradicts Delia''s sense of family minded fair play doesn''t it? You know, the one that saw us in Division 3 for the first time in 50 years?Get a grip you nambies and take what''s given to us or die.

[/quote]Poor Cluck can''t post without mentioning his beloved Delia. Love is strange. I feel his pain. [:(]

Sir Arthur Wing Pinero
Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Wait until Holt is out of the team for an extended period and see how much he is missed. We''ve already seen this to some extent in the past... so be grateful that we have him and enjoy the showmanship he brings to the game.... but of course that contradicts Delia''s sense of family minded fair play doesn''t it? You know, the one that saw us in Division 3 for the first time in 50 years?Get a grip you nambies and take what''s given to us or die.

[/quote]Poor Cluck can''t post without mentioning his beloved Delia. Love is strange. I feel his pain. [:(]

Sir Arthur Wing PineroThose who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young.

[/quote] I don''t do forgiveness Slappy....But for Paul Lambert we would be deep in it and it is no thanks to her.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I don''t do forgiveness Slappy....

But for Paul Lambert we would be deep in it and it is no thanks to her.

[/quote]If she was responsible for Grant, Roeder and Gunn, she must be equally responsible for Worthington and Lambert. Clunk...

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Grant Holt isn''t the sharpest of tools in the box it has to be said, his red cards and dives are silly. Getting bookings for arguing with refs or petulant challenges as he has done in the past for us wont help either.Holtys a fantastic player but i do feel he sometimes leaves the brain in the changing room.

[/quote]

Is that from your experience from playing in the second tier of English football, with all the pressures applied in the modern day game? Would be useful to see how you would cope with 25,000 people urging you on. I''m guessing you''d wet yourself in the tunnel :)[/quote]i wet myself infront of 8 people on a sunday playing football.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Grant Holt isn''t the sharpest of tools in the box it has to be said, his red cards and dives are silly. Getting bookings for arguing with refs or petulant challenges as he has done in the past for us wont help either.Holtys a fantastic player but i do feel he sometimes leaves the brain in the changing room.

[/quote]

Is that from your experience from playing in the second tier of English football, with all the pressures applied in the modern day game? Would be useful to see how you would cope with 25,000 people urging you on. I''m guessing you''d wet yourself in the tunnel :)[/quote]i wet myself infront of 8 people on a sunday playing football.[/quote]

pissy pants

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Grant Holt isn''t the sharpest of tools in the box it has to be said, his red cards and dives are silly. Getting bookings for arguing with refs or petulant challenges as he has done in the past for us wont help either.

Holtys a fantastic player but i do feel he sometimes leaves the brain in the changing room.

[/quote]

Holt is a fantastic player, partly because of what you posted above. He get stuck in and go in for tackles, which knowbody else does. He puts his all into winning the ball, and surely you can see this is a good thing? He gives his all for NCFC, would you rather he just stood there and never tackled because he might get a booking? He will get yellows/red cards now and then, but this is because of the effort he puts in, he doesn''t like losing and this can be seen from his play. As for the diving, he doesn''t dive, he is a very clever player. He isn''t going to beat defenders for pace and so when he feels any contact on him, he is going to go down. Time and time again he has done this, and won us many crucial points (Vs Ipswich when he got Delaney sent off is an example of going down after little contact). People have always got to have somebody to moan about, 17 goals this season, 3 off 50 for us, and people moan!

Ou most inflential player since Ian Crook... Every dog has it''s day and Holty has found his ideal resting place at NCFC. Lucky for us... and unlucky for his previous clubs who didn''t appreciate him.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Ou most inflential player since Ian Crook...

[/quote]

I should think Hucks would have something to say about that. He was probably our most influential player since Martin Peters But Holty is right up there.

Another couple of ironic twists to this whole subject are that nobody has actually said that Holt is crap, although you would be forgiven fo thinking they had based on some of the posts, and if Holt carries on picking up uneccesary yellow cards he will be suspended (again) at what will be the most crucial part of the season. Not sure how influential he will be sitting in the stands.....

The pure and simple truth of all of this is that diving, feigning injury etc is cheating no matter who the perpetrator is.

For thos that are hard of understanding I think that Holt is superb, and I want him to be available for all of our remaining games, banging in the goals, not sitting in the stands after picking up uneccesary yellow cards for diving, stupid tackles and arguing the toss with officials....

Many people said he was not good enough for a side to challenge for promotion to the Premier League. He''s amongst the biggest heroes we''ve had in our history and yet fans continually find ways to put him down. Why?

His antics are completely farcical

But the key thing is

he is OUR cheat [:D]

I''m a little late to this debate but I think the majority of football fans tend to overlook the misdemeanours of their own players. I''ve seen Grant Holt hit the deck plenty of times in his two seasons with us when there has been very little contact and it does look a little ridiculous. The fact that he is a big lad probably doesn''t help him. But is he not just doing what the vast majority of the footballers in this country do on a wekly basis? Yeah, I suppose he is.

The problem is, and I think this is the reason some posters have got so very upset about this thread, we as fans are always very keen on moaning about the latest miscarraige of justice to be visited on us by crooked refs, biased linesmen, cheating opponents etc. The minute you acknowledge that one of your own might indulge in the dark arts you lose that moral high ground the next time some perceived injustice affects our team. Just look at the way many fans bemoaned the diving antics of Andy Johnson but would swear on their kids lives that Hucks would never take a tumble.

Then you have to factor in the avarage fans feelings with regard to diving. Many fans will condone a striker blocking a goalkeeper off at a corner or a cynical foul on the halfway line that stops a quick counter attack as ''part of the game'' but complain about diving and/or feigning injury. All three are examples of cheating though. There is something about this sort of behaviour that does not sit well with the English fan from a cultural perspective. We like to think that it has been brought to the game in this country by foreign players and it doesn''t fit in with a style of football where passion, strength and commitment are the most important attributes to have. In short we think it''s a bit girly and nobody wants to associate our star striker with such behaviour.

Personally it doesn''t really bother me if Holty goes down a little easily from time to time but when you take that view you can''t really complain when the boot is on the other foot. Maybe that''s what people are a little scared of?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Another couple of ironic twists to this whole subject are that nobody has actually said that Holt is crap, although you would be forgiven fo thinking they had based on some of the posts, and if Holt carries on picking up uneccesary yellow cards he will be suspended (again) at what will be the most crucial part of the season. Not sure how influential he will be sitting in the stands.....

The pure and simple truth of all of this is that diving, feigning injury etc is cheating no matter who the perpetrator is.

For thos that are hard of understanding I think that Holt is superb, and I want him to be available for all of our remaining games, banging in the goals, not sitting in the stands after picking up uneccesary yellow cards for diving, stupid tackles and arguing the toss with officials....[/quote]Perfection only exists in fairytales.Grant Holt is what he is simply because he is who he is. Change that and you have just another journeyman bit player.I''d have thought Norwich have had more than their fair share of those in recent years.