Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST HAVE JUST SAID THAT IN THE PRESS CONFERENCE !!??!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"].......and put everyone''s mind at rest at 9 o''clock this morning ??!??!?!?![/quote]

Maybe he hadn''t got that payrise and extra transfer fund at the time?

Payrise maybe not, McNally is no-one''s fool. I think if he''d have tried that game with McNally he''d have been told where to go. Transfer funds however, that I could see, in which case fair play to him!

New contract / stopping the sale of ? / wanted to wind Burnley up for being T**TS / needed time to think about it / did not want to put premier clubs off

One of these or something else - but I aint got to change my user name now 

[quote user="The Å¿hroud of Turin"]Something else has brewed I''m sure.  But it''s settled now.... I hope
[/quote]

In view of this ticket office early tomorrow go ane get a ticket for the match  BBC M o t d will be in camp lets show Burnley what its like to have a full house and a manager who knows how to get the job done

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]he was looking at the game ahead, putting politics and speculation behind him this morning and rightly so!
[/quote]

Backfired a bit though didn''t it?  Naive of him to think it wouldn''t...  and he doesn''t strike me as a naive man.

I think there was something afoot but just relieved he has put it to bed....  for now.

Maybe it''s all been an astute bit of marketing and a generation of publicity for NCFC, which will (I guarantee) also put a few more bums on seats for tomorrows game - that hasn''t been exactly selling tickets as well as the club would like.....

Remember folks.....any publicity......is good publicity.....  

Because maybe he is under instructions from the board (McNally) to make no comment other than what was said.

Have you never wondered why ex managers never say much after they leave a club ? Contracts will have confidentiality clauses in them. Both Lambert and McNally will know that.

As to the sh!te about extra transfers funds, that merely shows how stupid some folk are. Does anyone still seriously think that the club can conjure up money that does not exist or hides up money that could be available.

The board and virtually everyone connnected to the club know the position we are in - IN THE LEAGUE. I''m certain that everyone is busting a gut to keep us where we are. And will be aware that for every pound spent this season we may well have to spend two three next season if we are still in this division.

We need more strength in depth as the holiday games have demonstrated. Players have been playing out of their skins and will not be able to keep that up as we head into a period where we will be playing twice a week for a fair number of weeks. I''m sure that that pace has been the cause of any number of niggles and short term injuries. The type of players we need are not easy to find or get here. I have been more than amazed to see what I thought were average journeymen turn in some superb performances and turn into great players.

I think it''s about time we gave the club a bit more appreciation and stop trying to find silly excuses for having a go at them. Yes everything is a bit more expensive and yes some of the seating is a bit more cramped. But my god we have got a board and a chief executive that has the steel we have wanted for so, so long. Getting Lambert, giving the NOTW a good slap, taking us out of Div 3 as champions, pushing us into second spot - all with no great hurrah. Quietly getting on with it.

So lets get behind the club and team tomorrow (it''ll be deafening) - and maybe get off the backs of those who have given me, and I''m sure almost everyone else, a good deal of pride back in our club.

And give them a bit of trust........

.................... and get that ''ole'' open top bus out ready for May ! ! !

We may never know what he could have agreed with the board to benefit us this season on the back of all this, maybe its good to make board appreciate what we have here right now.

Just wish everyone had kept the faith instead of shitting on him so easily, he was only doing his job and rightly allowing the club to put out the statement.

Top man. (Although i did think he was the biggest ***** if he left us for Burnley i admit!!! -phew-) :)

This whole thing has been handled rather oddly from start to finish, from Burnley''s rather cheeky public approach, to our ''fight tooth and nail'' response, to Lambert passing up numerous opportunities to say what he''s just said. Makes me think there''s more to this than a simple ''thanks, but no thanks'' from Lambert.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]This whole thing has been handled rather oddly from start to finish, from Burnley''s rather cheeky public approach, to our ''fight tooth and nail'' response, to Lambert passing up numerous opportunities to say what he''s just said. Makes me think there''s more to this than a simple ''thanks, but no thanks'' from Lambert.[/quote]It does,  it crossed my mind whether Lambert''s agent shiit stirred in first place.  Put Lambert in an embarrassing position, which took all afternoon to sort out.

Yes why couldn''t you tell us that at 9am, talk about ruining people''s day, men hey [:D] but we forgive you.

Sorry, but this whole mess was conjoured by Burnley, gullible, trigger-happy media, and the relentless internet rumour-mill.Burnley announced last night that they''d made an approach for Lambert, presumably in a bid to unsettle him or to put a rocket up the arse of other candidates.  NCFC responded immediately by stating that the approach had been rejected.We all know Lambert and McNally are not ones to prat about - that, as far as they were concerned, was that.  There was no need for endless speculation to the contrary - they had made their statement, loud and clear, and that was all they needed to say on the matter.  In the meantime, with a game fast approaching Lambert, as always, preferred to concentrate on that (see his recent comments about Sky''s disruptive media intrusion in the build-up to the Watford game for his thoughts on such things).That should have been the end of it, but instead we had endless tweets and forum messages and other social media claiming they had the inside scoop.  We had Radio Norfolk claiming that a story was brewing, when clearly they knew nothing.  All that was missing was a post from Pete informing us that there would be a special edition of the EDP released tomorrow morning...All the while, Lambert''s probably sat there wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and finally, after some consultation with NCFC''s media department, decided enough was enough, and to take time out from his vital pre-match preparations to nip this thing in the bud once and for all.You lot come up with all the stories and conspiracy theories you like, but most of you probably know, deep-down, that this is the most likely and most rational and logical explanation for today''s events.So should we go 4-4-2 tomorrow and give McNamee a good run-out, or stick with the trusty diamond and help get Wes back to full-fitness, alongside some youth and reserve talent?

As I said in another thread earlier today:[QUOTE]McNally had a meeting with Lambert before the Press Conference, it probably went something like this:DM: If we don''t say anything about Burnley today we could put a few thousand on the gate on Saturday.PL: So I can''t say I''m not going to leave?DM: That''s right.PL: The Fans won''t like it.DM: You can put their minds at rest in your press conference after the game.PL: OK but I''m not happy about it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it''s been a peculiar day down at Carrow Road and on here too......Restless agents or not, Lambert - or any of us on here if the position was that clearcut - would''ve made a wholehearted '' I''m staying '' committment at the early morning conference. Strangely he didn''t. By that reaction I would speculate that he used his sudden and unexpected bargaining position to press the Board for more funds, either for himself, or for the transfer pot. Being only fairly recently retired as a player and set for a long managerial career I doubt he is particularly interested in more money for himself right now.Call it blackmail if you like but if it was a '' more transfer funds please or I''m off to sunny Burnley '' kind of scenario, or indeed an inflation busting pay rise then today Mr McNally must surely have earned his corn buttering up the likes of Stephen Fry and others from the great and good who have a shilling or two lying around in the bank.The remainder of the transfer window could be interesting....

Or it could be that Burnley approached Lambert through unofficial sources (as would be normal at an early stage) Lambert lets it be known that any approach would have to go though the club.

In his position I would have informed the club of such manouverings, if only to protect myself. If that was the case then Burnley had little option but to go public.

That might explain why the club was able to post up a rebuttal in such a remarkably quick time, given the timing of the original announcement.

So the quandary we face tomorrow is do we cheer Lambert for deciding to stay or cheer him because he was never going to leave us in the first place.

the management of the media on this by the club has not been great resulting in lots of speculation today. Seems odd especially as one of the Directors of Archant is on the board on the Canaries you would have thought he would have known better.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sorry, but this whole mess was conjoured by Burnley, gullible, trigger-happy media, and the relentless internet rumour-mill.

Burnley announced last night that they''d made an approach for Lambert, presumably in a bid to unsettle him or to put a rocket up the arse of other candidates.  NCFC responded immediately by stating that the approach had been rejected.

We all know Lambert and McNally are not ones to prat about - that, as far as they were concerned, was that.  There was no need for endless speculation to the contrary - they had made their statement, loud and clear, and that was all they needed to say on the matter.  In the meantime, with a game fast approaching Lambert, as always, preferred to concentrate on that (see his recent comments about Sky''s disruptive media intrusion in the build-up to the Watford game for his thoughts on such things).

That should have been the end of it, but instead we had endless tweets and forum messages and other social media claiming they had the inside scoop.  We had Radio Norfolk claiming that a story was brewing, when clearly they knew nothing.  All that was missing was a post from Pete informing us that there would be a special edition of the EDP released tomorrow morning...

All the while, Lambert''s probably sat there wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and finally, after some consultation with NCFC''s media department, decided enough was enough, and to take time out from his vital pre-match preparations to nip this thing in the bud once and for all.

You lot come up with all the stories and conspiracy theories you like, but most of you probably know, deep-down, that this is the most likely and most rational and logical explanation for today''s events.

So should we go 4-4-2 tomorrow and give McNamee a good run-out, or stick with the trusty diamond and help get Wes back to full-fitness, alongside some youth and reserve talent?
[/quote]

Agree with you here Evil Monkey, in his statement PL stated that he said last week that there is nothing in the Burnley rumours. To me PL do not like to keep repeating himself and only wanted to talk about the up and coming game and not take the spotlight off of this. The press conference was for the cup game and not all the rumours.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sorry, but this whole mess was conjoured by Burnley, gullible, trigger-happy media, and the relentless internet rumour-mill.

Burnley announced last night that they''d made an approach for Lambert, presumably in a bid to unsettle him or to put a rocket up the arse of other candidates.  NCFC responded immediately by stating that the approach had been rejected.

We all know Lambert and McNally are not ones to prat about - that, as far as they were concerned, was that.  There was no need for endless speculation to the contrary - they had made their statement, loud and clear, and that was all they needed to say on the matter.  In the meantime, with a game fast approaching Lambert, as always, preferred to concentrate on that (see his recent comments about Sky''s disruptive media intrusion in the build-up to the Watford game for his thoughts on such things).

That should have been the end of it, but instead we had endless tweets and forum messages and other social media claiming they had the inside scoop.  We had Radio Norfolk claiming that a story was brewing, when clearly they knew nothing.  All that was missing was a post from Pete informing us that there would be a special edition of the EDP released tomorrow morning...

All the while, Lambert''s probably sat there wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and finally, after some consultation with NCFC''s media department, decided enough was enough, and to take time out from his vital pre-match preparations to nip this thing in the bud once and for all.

You lot come up with all the stories and conspiracy theories you like, but most of you probably know, deep-down, that this is the most likely and most rational and logical explanation for today''s events.

So should we go 4-4-2 tomorrow and give McNamee a good run-out, or stick with the trusty diamond and help get Wes back to full-fitness, alongside some youth and reserve talent?
[/quote]

---

---

---

The trouble, for starters, is that the club''s statement, though loud, was anything but clear. Indeed the way this was handled was  an object lesson in how NOT to do things.

Far from putting the issue to bed, by talking about fighting "tooth and nail" it made it look as if the club still had a real battle on its hands to keep Lambert. Indeed the wording suggested it knew it was going to end up losing. It was actually the kind of rather desperate statement a lower league club might make when it knew deep down it was bound to have its manager tempted away to a higher-division club.

It also said the club was committed to Lambert. Nothing about Lambert being committed to the club.

Then Lambert''s press conference statement was ambiguous in the extreme. He said the club had made a statement and that he was "happy with that". Happy just that the club had made a statement or happy in the sense he agreed with it? Not at all clear. And he said nothing about committing himself to Norwich. He could have ended the speculation there and then, by saying that, but didn''t. Whether he THOUGHT that was what he was doing is possible. He is a football manager, not a professor of semantics. But he is also a football manager who has been around the block, and a football manager with PR experts at the club (who may or may not have been consulted here) to advise him on what to say. In these circumstances there is a very simple and time-honoured way of killing such a story, by committing yourself to a club. That he didn''t do. Indeed it seemed to be the last thing he wanted to talk about.

The net result,
putting those two statements together, was that it looked as if the issue was at the very least far from settled. Now I have no time for posters  who make up "facts" and "sources", which plainly happened here. What they were doing was filling the vacuum created by the club. So even sensible posters on this site were baffled and worried. Worries that were only assuaged by the second Lambert statement, which DID commit himself to Norwich. Which should not have been necessary, but had been made so by the lousy PR earlier in the day. PR so lousy that I find it hard to believe it was being directed by the press office.

Of course, there is, as some posters have suggested, a possible explanation. That the issue WAS far from settled. That there was a serious chance of Lambert going, and he used that he negotiate a better contract or more transfer money, or a jacuzzi in the manager''s bathroom.

In that case much of the above doesn''t apply. But if not, if this was a non-story, then it really was not well-handled by whoever at the club handled it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

---

---

---

The trouble, for starters, is that the club''s statement, though loud, was anything but clear. Indeed the way this was handled was  an object lesson in how NOT to do things.

Far from putting the issue to bed, by talking about fighting "tooth and nail" it made it look as if the club still had a real battle on its hands to keep Lambert. Indeed the wording suggested it knew it was going to end up losing. It was actually the kind of rather desperate statement a lower league club might make when it knew deep down it was bound to have its manager tempted away to a higher-division club.

It also said the club was committed to Lambert. Nothing about Lambert being committed to the club.

Then Lambert''s press conference statement was ambiguous in the extreme. He said the club had made a statement and that he was "happy with that". Happy just that the club had made a statement or happy in the sense he agreed with it? Not at all clear. And he said nothing about committing himself to Norwich. He could have ended the speculation there and then, by saying that, but didn''t. Whether he THOUGHT that was what he was doing is possible. He is a football manager, not a professor of semantics. But he is also a football manager who has been around the block, and a football manager with PR experts at the club (who may or may not have been consulted here) to advise him on what to say. In these circumstances there is a very simple and time-honoured way of killing such a story, by committing yourself to a club. That he didn''t do. Indeed it seemed to be the last thing he wanted to talk about.

The net result,
putting those two statements together, was that it looked as if the issue was at the very least far from settled. Now I have no time for posters  who make up "facts" and "sources", which plainly happened here. What they were doing was filling the vacuum created by the club. So even sensible posters on this site were baffled and worried. Worries that were only assuaged by the second Lambert statement, which DID commit himself to Norwich. Which should not have been necessary, but had been made so by the lousy PR earlier in the day. PR so lousy that I find it hard to believe it was being directed by the press office.

Of course, there is, as some posters have suggested, a possible explanation. That the issue WAS far from settled. That there was a serious chance of Lambert going, and he used that he negotiate a better contract or more transfer money, or a jacuzzi in the manager''s bathroom.

In that case much of the above doesn''t apply. But if not, if this was a non-story, then it really was not well-handled by whoever at the club handled it.

[/quote]

To my mind that "we will fight tooth and nail" was not directed at just Burnley, but at all the other clubs who must be looking at what PL is achieving here. There''s going to be a lot of comings and goings in the managerial merry-go-round in the next few weeks, and I think the aim is to kill off all approaches for PL, not just this one. Continued speculation won''t be a good thing for the club.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sorry, but this whole mess was conjoured by Burnley, gullible, trigger-happy media, and the relentless internet rumour-mill.Burnley announced last night that they''d made an approach for Lambert, presumably in a bid to unsettle him or to put a rocket up the arse of other candidates.  NCFC responded immediately by stating that the approach had been rejected.We all know Lambert and McNally are not ones to prat about - that, as far as they were concerned, was that.  There was no need for endless speculation to the contrary - they had made their statement, loud and clear, and that was all they needed to say on the matter.  In the meantime, with a game fast approaching Lambert, as always, preferred to concentrate on that (see his recent comments about Sky''s disruptive media intrusion in the build-up to the Watford game for his thoughts on such things).That should have been the end of it, but instead we had endless tweets and forum messages and other social media claiming they had the inside scoop.  We had Radio Norfolk claiming that a story was brewing, when clearly they knew nothing.  All that was missing was a post from Pete informing us that there would be a special edition of the EDP released tomorrow morning...All the while, Lambert''s probably sat there wondering what the hell all the fuss was about and finally, after some consultation with NCFC''s media department, decided enough was enough, and to take time out from his vital pre-match preparations to nip this thing in the bud once and for all.You lot come up with all the stories and conspiracy theories you like, but most of you probably know, deep-down, that this is the most likely and most rational and logical explanation for today''s events.So should we go 4-4-2 tomorrow and give McNamee a good run-out, or stick with the trusty diamond and help get Wes back to full-fitness, alongside some youth and reserve talent?[/quote]

---

---

---

The net result, putting those two statements together, was that it looked as if the issue was at the very least far from settled. Now I have no time for posters  who make up "facts" and "sources", which plainly happened here. What they were doing was filling the vacuum created by the club. So even sensible posters on this site were baffled and worried. Worries that were only assuaged by the second Lambert statement, which DID commit himself to Norwich. Which should not have been necessary, but had been made so by the lousy PR earlier in the day. PR so lousy that I find it hard to believe it was being directed by the press office.

[/quote]I certainly see your point to some extent, but the club have shown with their recent press release regarding rumours about Grant Holt that they''re not ones for messing about with such things.  Short and simple, get rid of the speculation.To my mind phrases such as ''fighting tooth and nail'' were simply to send out a clear message to other clubs who might come sniffing around and to show that the new, shiny NCFC is no longer the soft touch that it was under our previous Chief Exec - PAUL LAMBERT IS NOT FOR SALE.That should have been the end of it, and perhaps Lambert was naive to think that his batting away of any questions regarding the situation would not lead to some speculation, but for it to reach such fevered peaks of insanity, complete with clear statements from various media sources that Lambert had walked, is perhaps more a commentary on social media and the power of the interweb than Lambert''s PR skills.

Thing is EM, the statement was anything but clear. When there was speculation about Holt they released a very clear statement that read ''Grant Holt is not for sale'', Thursday night''s statement gave no such assurances. Lambert also failed to quash the speculation on 2 occasions, all he had to say in the morning press conference was ''Look, I don''t want to go anywhere and I''m not going anywhere and thats the end of it. We have a game tomorrow and I want to focus on that'', just as he did a year ago when he was linked with the same club, but he didn''t for whatever reason, hence the hysteria. The Club and Lambert both had the opportunity to end the speculation on more than 1 occasion but they did not, which as you''ve said, goes against recent form. The question is why? There is a possibility that at some stage yesterday, things were not as comfortable as we''d like to believe, surely if both the club and he were both 100% confident that he wasn''t going anywhere, 1 or both of them would have said so?