Sign in to follow this  
ca

Lets discuss Grant Holt

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]He did it for the fans... just as he always does.Grant Holt is a giant and in my view one of the most inspiring characters this club has ever had. The manager loves him.... the team loves him and so do the fans.Such respect can only happen when you''ve earnt it.[/quote]As Morty said "Please stop it Cluck, it upsets the balance of things when you talk sense." [:)]

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]He did it for the fans... just as he always does.Grant Holt is a giant and in my view one of the most inspiring characters this club has ever had. The manager loves him.... the team loves him and so do the fans.Such respect can only happen when you''ve earnt it.[/quote]As Morty said "Please stop it Cluck, it upsets the balance of things when you talk sense." [:)][/quote]Credit where it''s due Nuff and I believe I even had some moisture in my eyes when the third goal went in. Believe me.... it''s been a very very long time since that  happened.    [:)]Norwich is finally getting it''s club back at again.... so Cluck can now retire quietly from the scene.......

Unless that is..... 

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]He did it for the fans... just as he always does.

Grant Holt is a giant and in my view one of the most inspiring characters this club has ever had. The manager loves him.... the team loves him and so do the fans.

Such respect can only happen when you''ve earnt it.
[/quote]BANG!!!! NAIL!!! HEAD!!! [Y]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Largey"]You''ve got to be having a laugh! Holt did not even touch him with his studs...his back foot was planted so it wasnt a two footed lunge, and he didn''t connect maliciously with his leading foot. Even with my strongest yellow and green specs on I can see that is a yellow at most. Poor poor decision from a referee I have otherwise liked.[/quote]

So it is ok for Holt to make silly needless challenges as long as he only gets ticking offs or picks up yellows then?

Surely we all know that there are many inept refs out there and that even the good refs make poor decisions.  If Holty makes ridiculous challenges where he has no hope of winning the ball, at stages of a a match where we are 3-1 up and coasting, then it is naive play for me.  A pro with Holty''s experience and certainly the club captain should know better.

Yes I know that you are taking away from his game if you take that edge away from his game totally.  But for me there are times when that edge is required and times when it is not.
[/quote]

That''s what you get from a 100 percent-er..... and that''s why Paul Lambert and astute supporters have such faith in him.

Although not the greatest footballer to wear the yellow shirt.... Gary Doherty was just the same. If you want honesty these are the guys to have out on the pitch.... not Embo Bongywongy who is only interested in his pay packet.
[/quote]Did he play upfront or at the back??? [;)] lol

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]

Credit where it''s due Nuff and I believe I even had some moisture in my eyes when the third goal went in. Believe me.... it''s been a very very long time since that  happened.    [:)]

Norwich is finally getting it''s club back at again.... so Cluck can now retire quietly from the scene.......

[/quote]Aww, bless!! Cluck gets to see one game on the telly and he becomes a garden of roses, Delia lovin'', happy clappin'' sheep.

BAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAHHH!!!![:D]

I don''t make any apologies for starting this thread back on the 15th Oct, I did say in my opening post he''d been great for us last season, he worked hard and we loved him to bits but I did feel back then ( 6 weeks ago) that he wasn''t fit or was tired and maybe needed some competition which is why I invited people to discuss their thoughts on him.

So over the past few games he''s looked as if he''s getting back to his best and today he was incredible and at his very very best. A great hatrick, he was a nuisance to them for the whole 90 mins, worked hard and he was easily Man of the Match.

Well done Holty [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]

I don''t make any apologies for starting this thread back on the 15th Oct, I did say in my opening post he''d been great for us last season, he worked hard and we loved him to bits but I did feel back then ( 6 weeks ago) that he wasn''t fit or was tired and maybe needed some competition which is why I invited people to discuss their thoughts on him.

So over the past few games he''s looked as if he''s getting back to his best and today he was incredible and at his very very best. A great hatrick, he was a nuisance to them for the whole 90 mins, worked hard and he was easily Man of the Match.

[/quote]will you be on his back if he has a few poor games or doesnt score LOADS??? Same question to everyone else who slagged Holt.

The man is immense and much more important then just scoring goals, how many free kicks did he win us??? how much pressure did he take from our defence??? etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, Yes a striker is there to score but his game is much more then that OTBC

he was strong today - energetic and giving everything,  giving something more than he had earlier in the season.  He was awesome today.

However he always looks class against league one defenders...

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]will you be on his back if he has a few poor games or doesnt score LOADS??? Same question to everyone else who slagged Holt.

The man is immense and much more important then just scoring goals, how many free kicks did he win us??? how much pressure did he take from our defence??? etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, Yes a striker is there to score but his game is much more then that OTBC

[/quote]

But I didn''t slag him off, read my first post on the thread !!

Holt''s performance was absolutely flawless and typified everything that he''s about. Won us countless freekicks, worked the channels brilliantly, showed beautiful composure in front of goal and generally didn''t put a foot wrong. He''s been showing signs of that all season, and he did already have 6 goals which isn''t a bad return - I''m not sure why people were expecting him to score as many as last season. Hopefully he''s up to full fitness now and he''ll start terrorizing defences again.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Just a teeny weeny minor point my little Angel but in all the excitement you obviously did not notice that he was substituted so did not play the full ninety minutes.I think Keane and Lambo had a gentlemans agreement to get him off if he scored a hat trick to avoid the scummers further pain.[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just a teeny weeny minor point my little Angel but in all the excitement you obviously did not notice that he was substituted so did not play the full ninety minutes.I think Keane and Lambo had a gentlemans agreement to get him off if he scored a hat trick to avoid the scummers further pain.[:D][/quote]

Now you''re nit picking Tilly but yes I was excited [:)] Sunk a few pinot grigio after the game too and my excitement heightened after a cuddle from Gary [:)]

But back to Holt, he was immense for 85 mins [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I have to back CA up here. I''ve also been critical of Holt, and I still feel that he was poor earlier this season, but am delighted that he''s back to his best form. No player should be above criticism, and the forum is about opinions. However, I''m sure that CA, like me and everyone else who''s been critical of him, is over the moon.

Although I''ve said he''s not played as well as he could have at times this season I have also said that we should keep the faith in him and I think in the last 2 or 3 weeks (especially yesterday of course) we''ve seen a return to form.

Having participated in this long ongoing discussion, I have always thought that CA had every right to ask the question. IMO, Holt''s early form was largely down to fitness. His ''game'' requires going flat out through the whole game and.  He found that more difficult when the fitness wasn''t there.

More recently we have seen the 100% Holt, though too often just missing, hitting the post, or having it cleared off the line (The Reading and Leeds  games in particular). Yesterday he wasn''t going to be denied, and he wasn''t! Let''s hope he can go on from here like that, but City without him is not the same team at all. He''d always be my first name on the teamsheet! OTBC!

Holt had a great game. However, let''s not overlook that he was very fortunate to not have been given a red card in the early stages of the game. It was a foolish tackle on his part, particularly given that he had just a red card against him overturned ( justifiably ). This match ( and the comments on this forum ) would have likely turned out very differently had Holt been sent off. If I were Paul Lambert I would not allow myself to simply be swept up in the glory of the day but I would be having a quiet word with Grant on the bigger picture, that is the season is a long one and we need him in all the matches. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Holt had a great game. However, let''s not overlook that he was very fortunate to not have been given a red card in the early stages of the game. It was a foolish tackle on his part, particularly given that he had just a red card against him overturned ( justifiably ). This match ( and the comments on this forum ) would have likely turned out very differently had Holt been sent off. If I were Paul Lambert I would not allow myself to simply be swept up in the glory of the day but I would be having a quiet word with Grant on the bigger picture, that is the season is a long one and we need him in all the matches. [/quote]

I don''t think it was red card worthy and I don''t think the manager will be having that "quiet" word with him.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

But I didn''t slag him off, read my first post on the thread !!

[/quote]

I know we''ve had a good result today against the top of the league so it seems harsh to cast doubt on anyone''s peformance plus I know that Holt was immense for us last season, we love him to bits and he''s scored some great goals in the past.

I also appreciate that he works hard, puts himself about and holds the ball up well but ................ either he''s still not fit so should he be playing or maybe he''s going to find goals hard to come by in this league. Also I dont understand why he spends so much time on the wings when he should be in the box?????

I know he did great for us last season but this league is a whole different ball game for him so do you think he''ll cut it in the championship or do you think like me that we need to get an experienced championship striker in on loan to give him competition or play instead of him with Martin or Jackson if he isnt cutting the mustard?

Whats your  thoughts ?

He runs the channels..thats why he is out wide...and get another in to play instead of him???? REALLY???  he has scored nine goals this season thus far 7 in 18 league and 2 in the cup...not bad for a league 2 striker lol, i still stand by my statement earlier this season he will score us 15+ goals this season...i think i had a disagreement from some scum invader on our site about this...appologies saying you slagged Holty, but questioning his ability after just a few games???

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

Having participated in this long ongoing discussion, I have always thought that CA had every right to ask the question. .

[/quote]

Thankyou [:)]

Thats what I always thought forums were for, sharing and respecting people''s opinions and starting discussions on things we have an opinion on.

I have absolutely no issue with your comments Angel. We all know Holt was a bit below par earlier in the season. I just felt he deserved for us fans to stand by him because for the first time in a long time we had strikers of our own who obviously had as much pride in the shirt as the fans do. But there was nothing disloyal about you asking the question on here.

What I did had an issue with, and still do, is those who said he "wasn''t good enough" for us in this league. That''s a very different kettle of fish to "not playing well enough". To those people I say "you have been proved wrong by Holt yesterday".

As I said weeks ago, eventually we will have to improve on all positions if we are serious about establishing ourselves as a Premiership team. But for now, having three strikers of our own, who are scoring Championship goals and wearing our shirt with pride, is a massive improvement on what we had when we got relegated and we have yet to find out how far they can take us.

I think Holt has just shown why he deserves a place in the starting lineup, he loves these kind of rough and tumble matches because they play into his strengths. He is finally getting in some shots, because before how he wasn''t getting anything away on goal, whether it be a lack of creation from midfield or him being goal-shy. That was 3 striker goals and he did us proud, long may it continue!

Yankee Canary - Sound of nail being hit squarely on the head, I was going to post something very similar. CA had the "balls" to start this thread, it is so very easy to be wise after the event. I am not saying that the tackle by Holt in the Ippos match warranted a red card, but the ref could easily have given him a red card (as happened at Reading) and after that particular incident I did not hear to many of you saying that Holts actions cost us two points.... We need Holt on the pitch creating/scoring goals, not seeing out suspensions for stupid tackles.....

Sorry but it was never a red card - it was a silly challenge.

The ref got it spot on for me. If he had shown Holt a redcard then he would have also had to have sent off Leadbitter and the other player that ran over to push Holt to the ground and start a frackar.

But at the end of the day its a very feeble argument in that he could have still played rubbish for the rest of the game but he didn''t. And he had been playing well up until that point.

You can''t say he played well and then dissmiss it with the fact he may well have been sent on should we have had a harsher ref. Priskin was lucky not to get booked for what he did to Lappin - replays suggest that could have been a red if spotted - so what?!!

Holty was immense yesterday, took his goals well. His never-say-die attitude got him in the position to score the first and he took it well.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="morty"]Please stop it Cluck, it upsets the balance of things when you talk sense.[;)][/quote]It won''t last Morty... [:)][/quote]No he will be proved wrong, along with the rest of you over the next two home games! [;)][/quote]

I agree Smudger, totally proved wrong. I thought Holt was rubbish against the Scummers.... Just goes to show how much excrement you talk. AND you did not even celebrate when we scored on Sunday - explain

[quote user="chicken"]Sorry but it was never a red card - it was a silly challenge. The ref got it spot on for me. If he had shown Holt a redcard then he would have also had to have sent off Leadbitter and the other player that ran over to push Holt to the ground and start a frackar. But at the end of the day its a very feeble argument in that he could have still played rubbish for the rest of the game but he didn''t. And he had been playing well up until that point. You can''t say he played well and then dissmiss it with the fact he may well have been sent on should we have had a harsher ref. Priskin was lucky not to get booked for what he did to Lappin - replays suggest that could have been a red if spotted - so what?!! Holty was immense yesterday, took his goals well. His never-say-die attitude got him in the position to score the first and he took it well.[/quote]

Chicken, please don''t tell me what I can and can''t say. I have my opinion and you obviously have yours. However, you do not strengthen your opinion by stating my comments were different than what I actually stated. I did not say Holt played well, I said he played great. I did not dismiss that fact at all. You say it was a silly challenge. I said it was a foolish challenge. Perhaps we mean the same thing. It was foolish for a number of reasons. Holt had just previously been in the position of potentially missing games and his name was therefore in the media and surely known to these officials, it was a local derby where the tensions will tend to run higher but, most importantly Holt is not just the striker but also the captain of the team and responsible for setting an example for others of playing hard but smart. I am sure we have all seen many red cards issued. Let me state emphatically I have seen them issued for less. Holt went in with both feet and the opponent went down. Those are the reasons I said he was fortunate. We won''t know if Lambert had a word with him but I''d be surprised if he didn''t. Holt did play great and, more importantly, for Norwich to achieve the very best that it can this season, we need Holt on the pitch playing great in the second half of the season.

Truth of the matter is no sensible official in the world would of given what would have unquestionably been a very debatable red card that early into a derby fixture. I''m afraid whether it in actual was or not is inconsequential. If it had been given, it would of been a borderline decision that would have derided from a highly publicised, and more importantly, highly heated encounter. For one, in doing so the ref would have immediately been obliged to dish out a red card against Leadbitter for an entirely malicious reaction, and then risk the entire game becoming a diluted footballing affair, for the sake of it declining into anarchy.One only need look at Michael Oliver''s handling of West Brom to gauge what effect an excessive use of an officials power can have on a game.While what Grant Holt did may have warranted a sending off, he was never going to leave that pitch yesterday until the respective half-time and full-time whistles had been blown.