Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

empty seats

[quote user="barclayendstand"][quote user="Dibs"]McNally needs to make City profitable again, so stop moaning about Ticket prices and start supporting the club and think of it as `saving our club from administration''.[/quote] Your missing the point, people can''t afford OTT ticket prices. Empty seats won''t `save our club from administration''[/quote]

Our crowds have not dropped so either you guys were only going when we went to the top of the league or we have gained 1 new supporter paying higher prices for everyone of you that has stayed away, or of course you never went at all. The empty seats are additional seats that fans insisted we needed and people agreed that prices should be upped. Should we reach the play off final will you be happy paying £45 per ticket ( very few concessions ) plus the cost of the day out.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="barclayendstand"][quote user="Dibs"]McNally needs to make City profitable again, so stop moaning about Ticket prices and start supporting the club and think of it as `saving our club from administration''.[/quote] Your missing the point, people can''t afford OTT ticket prices. Empty seats won''t `save our club from administration''[/quote]

Our crowds have not dropped so either you guys were only going when we went to the top of the league or we have gained 1 new supporter paying higher prices for everyone of you that has stayed away, or of course you never went at all. The empty seats are additional seats that fans insisted we needed and people agreed that prices should be upped. Should we reach the play off final will you be happy paying £45 per ticket ( very few concessions ) plus the cost of the day out.

[/quote]i can''t believe people are being attacked for saying they can''t afford these ticket prices.

I looked forward to the game all week and then built my day around the match. I enjoyed the first 80 minutes and went through a gamut of emotions in the second.

I left the ground with a spring in my step, for 90 minutes I forgot about work and all my troubles and I have enjoyed sharing the forum tonight.

Value for money?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I looked forward to the game all week and then built my day around the match. I enjoyed the first 80 minutes and went through a gamut of emotions in the second.

I left the ground with a spring in my step, for 90 minutes I forgot about work and all my troubles and I have enjoyed sharing the forum tonight.

Value for money?[/quote]but was watford?

Not for me, SKY moved it and I couldn''t go.

Seriously, I can take not winning as long as I see passion and commitment and we get that under Lambert.

I guess this is coming down to a season ticket vs regular casual debate and I do worry about people being priced out of taking children on a casual basis.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I have a friend who sits in block K of the Jarrold Stand, is over 60 and as far as I am aware he has received a legacy pensioner discount. It has been carried over from when it was the South Stand so I don''t think that this statement is correct. Happy to be corrected by those more in the know.

A friend I know whos over 60 has to pay adult prices and another friend with a daughter under 16 has to pay full prices for her to sit in he Jarold!

[/quote]

From the main website

** Concession prices are only available in Jarrold Stand centre seats if you have held a season ticket since season 2002-03 in the old South Stand and are renewing or topping up your existing seat in the Jarrold Stand.

Concessions in the Geoffrey Watling City Stand are only available if you have held a season ticket in these seats since 1998-99 and are renewing or topping up your existing seat.

Thanks CA - I thought that might be the case, but was not 100% sure. Didn''t expect a response from GRD based on a poll of only three fans though!

I''ll sum it up, I''m a casual supporter, I had absolutely nothing on today and would have normally gone to the game but £31 to see swansea I thought i''ll give it a miss and got to the next game.  if the ticket was £25 I would have gone.Generally the casual ticket buyers are pissed off with the pricing policy, I will pay £31 to watch Norwich but it has to be the right game (Ipswich or like last season, the Leeds game)

Directors box was only 3/4 full....maybe even the affluent are feeling the pinch?

Melchett wasn''t in the stadium today....Was quite looking forward to him being there today....

"From the horses mouth": the number of HOME fans in the ground has been higher for our first two home games than for the corresponding games last season- Colchester and Wycombe.  The club are more than happy.  Which is more than you can say for so-called "supporters" whinging on here when we`ve just been promoted, spent a net £3m-odd on our team, and won three games on the spin.  F*ck off to ipswich you spineless morons.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Second highest home gate in the Championship today,

Dirty Leeds scraped 25,000 which is down on their usual turnout too.[/quote]Sadly, entirely irrelevant. The question is whether OUR pricing policy is driving away OUR fans. And the comparison with the equivalent Saturday last season (as explained above) provides at the very least some food for thought on this question.[/quote]No, it''s not irrelevant when you consider the crowds Leeds typically get...which shows that attendances at this time of year are always lower than the average so it''s too early to make sweeping generalisations.If you want to talk about empty seats, was anyone watching Wigan v Chelsea?  The English Champions visit and Wigan couldn''t get more than 1/3 full.   Tragic.[/quote]No. It is completely irrelevant to the argument here. Today we got only 424 more than on the equivalent Saturday last season a tier lower. And around 500 fewer than for the Watford game, which was televised and on a Friday night. I would be interested to see the explanation for that, given that posters here said all those people who stayed at home to watch that game on TV would be at Carrow Road today. One confidently predicted 25,000-plus. Not so much.The point, for the umpteenth time, is whether OUR ticket pricing policies are being counter-productive. I am far from making sweeping generalisations, as anyone reading my posts carefully would easily understand. I''m not sure. But there is certainly a question here, with some evidence that the club might be getting it wrong.And I don''t understand why that idea - the club perhaps getting something wrong - should be so shocking. The shock would be if they got everything right.[/quote]It''s a reasonable question to raise.  My point is that attendances across the country are relatively low at the moment so you can''t necessarily pin it all on our new ticket prices, which it sounded as if you are doing.  We won''t have much of an idea until end October/November, but then if we''re doing well, we''ll sell more casual tickets and if we''re 18th in the league, we''ll sell less.  So team performance plays a part too.  Basically there are too many variables to single out the price of tickets alone.[/quote]I have been very careful not definitively to pin anything at all the pricing policy, because it is far too early to tell, although it is fair to say I have some initial suspicions.Moving on, you say "attendances across the country are relatively low at the moment". Two points in answer to that. Firstly that is precisely why I have taken only our figures and compared our attendance today with the exact equivalent fixture last year, to reduce the variables. To repeat, we got only 424 more fans in for Swansea in the second tier than for Wycombe in the thirdBut, even more striking, we got 500 MORE fans for Watford on TV on a Friday than we did today - our first Saturday game. I have yet to see anyone explain that apart from fans being put off by prices. However, just supposing attendances are down generally. Nothing to do with holidays. Variables. Anything like that. They are just down. As someone pointed out, 13,000 at Coventry-Derby. That''s pitiful for a team that has started the season well in a sort-of local derby. In that case it doesn''t take a genius to work out why. It''s the recession.. It''s job cuts. It''s frozen wages. It''s the whole economic horror. So how does NCFC react to that situation? Take it into account? Not so much, it appears. It makes Swansea a category A game and charges 12-year-olds £20.And this is the real point. I don''t object to financial belt-tightening at Carrow Road. It was necessary, although I''ve seen some ludicrous claims for their potential beneficial impact. But what seems to be happening is that the club is squeezing the fans at just the wrong time. It seems, and I only say seems, as if the club has been oblivious to the recession, taken the fans for granted, and underestimated the financial constraints on them. Now it may be, if that''s right, that other clubs (Coventry?) have made the same mistake, but that doesn''t excuse us and is of no help to Norwich fans.

After seeing Wigan''s dire crowd of 14k, under no circumstances can today''s crowd at Carrow Road be slated.

I don''t think anyone is slating the attendance; but the point still stands. Our pricing for casual supporters makes it nearly impossible to attend more than a game a couple of months - especially so if you have family.

I think the club need to re-evaluate their pricing. £31 for a ticket is far too highly pitched.

I have no idea of the actual figures, I guess it all comes down to revenue. If the club can raise additional revenue, albeit with reduced numbers, then I guess they will be happy. Especially if they still sell out the high profile games at the current pricing levels.

I can sympathise with people being priced out, I''m priced out of many things, I used to go to Roual Ascot but I simply can''t afford to now.

So I don''t. It''s been said plenty of times already, if they''ve got it badly wrong then the demand will fall and so will the prices, as it stands currently, I reckon they''ll be reasonably happy.

What it does suggest is that Norwich has nearly a large enough or wealthy enough fan base to be a self-sustaining premiership club despite being subsidised to the tune of a million a year by the owners.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Second highest home gate in the Championship today,

Dirty Leeds scraped 25,000 which is down on their usual turnout too.[/quote]Sadly, entirely irrelevant. The question is whether OUR pricing policy is driving away OUR fans. And the comparison with the equivalent Saturday last season (as explained above) provides at the very least some food for thought on this question.[/quote]No, it''s not irrelevant when you consider the crowds Leeds typically get...which shows that attendances at this time of year are always lower than the average so it''s too early to make sweeping generalisations.If you want to talk about empty seats, was anyone watching Wigan v Chelsea?  The English Champions visit and Wigan couldn''t get more than 1/3 full.   Tragic.[/quote]No. It is completely irrelevant to the argument here. Today we got only 424 more than on the equivalent Saturday last season a tier lower. And around 500 fewer than for the Watford game, which was televised and on a Friday night. I would be interested to see the explanation for that, given that posters here said all those people who stayed at home to watch that game on TV would be at Carrow Road today. One confidently predicted 25,000-plus. Not so much.The point, for the umpteenth time, is whether OUR ticket pricing policies are being counter-productive. I am far from making sweeping generalisations, as anyone reading my posts carefully would easily understand. I''m not sure. But there is certainly a question here, with some evidence that the club might be getting it wrong.And I don''t understand why that idea - the club perhaps getting something wrong - should be so shocking. The shock would be if they got everything right.[/quote]It''s a reasonable question to raise.  My point is that attendances across the country are relatively low at the moment so you can''t necessarily pin it all on our new ticket prices, which it sounded as if you are doing.  We won''t have much of an idea until end October/November, but then if we''re doing well, we''ll sell more casual tickets and if we''re 18th in the league, we''ll sell less.  So team performance plays a part too.  Basically there are too many variables to single out the price of tickets alone.[/quote]I have been very careful not definitively to pin anything at all the pricing policy, because it is far too early to tell, although it is fair to say I have some initial suspicions.Moving on, you say "attendances across the country are relatively low at the moment". Two points in answer to that. Firstly that is precisely why I have taken only our figures and compared our attendance today with the exact equivalent fixture last year, to reduce the variables. To repeat, we got only 424 more fans in for Swansea in the second tier than for Wycombe in the thirdBut, even more striking, we got 500 MORE fans for Watford on TV on a Friday than we did today - our first Saturday game. I have yet to see anyone explain that apart from fans being put off by prices. However, just supposing attendances are down generally. Nothing to do with holidays. Variables. Anything like that. They are just down. As someone pointed out, 13,000 at Coventry-Derby. That''s pitiful for a team that has started the season well in a sort-of local derby. In that case it doesn''t take a genius to work out why. It''s the recession.. It''s job cuts. It''s frozen wages. It''s the whole economic horror. So how does NCFC react to that situation? Take it into account? Not so much, it appears. It makes Swansea a category A game and charges 12-year-olds £20.And this is the real point. I don''t object to financial belt-tightening at Carrow Road. It was necessary, although I''ve seen some ludicrous claims for their potential beneficial impact. But what seems to be happening is that the club is squeezing the fans at just the wrong time. It seems, and I only say seems, as if the club has been oblivious to the recession, taken the fans for granted, and underestimated the financial constraints on them. Now it may be, if that''s right, that other clubs (Coventry?) have made the same mistake, but that doesn''t excuse us and is of no help to Norwich fans.[/quote]Well, I certainly agree with your last paragraph.  The football bubble looks to be outstripping the property bubble in terms of inflation, be that wages, TV money, ticket prices - it''s overheated and has to crash, and when it does I would fear for the clubs at the bottom of the pyramid who can''t afford flash lawyers or offshore trusts and will probably go to the wall.  Whether we''re happy about keeping up with the Championship in general, in terms of wages and therefore ticket prices to help fund the cost of wages, it''s something we have to do as a club or risk not competing.  It seems crazy to be talking about "not keeping up" when the net result is likely to be we stay at least £20m in debt, and I don''t know how this can ever be resolved without the crash mentioned earlier.On another thread, I posted:

Because I have no life any more, I thought I''d check the competition to see how much tickets cost.Barnsley - £15-£25

Burnley - £26 all matches

Cardiff - £26-£32

Coventry - £18

to £29 for adults

Crystal

Palace – Grade A £25-35, Grade B £20-30

Derby

- £27-33 (“Gold”, “Platinum” and “Platinum Plus” replace

C, B and A, so Derby v Barnsley is "Gold" [:D])

Doncaster

- £15-£28

Binners

- £30-£33

Hull

- £22-27

Leeds

United - £18 to £25

Leicester

- £21 to £28

Norwich top non-member prices - £23 (grade C) to £31 (grade A+)

Most

also have higher prices for tickets bought “on the day”,

increasing by £2-3 per ticket.  The prices above are mixed, some are for

members (add £2 for non-members) some are for non-members (deduct £2

for members - e.g. Norwich prices)

These are all Adult

ticket prices for this season. I got halfway through before getting

bored, but it shows that Norwich City are basically matching what other

clubs are doing.  In other words, it''s not Norwich City ripping you off,

it''s the football machine in general and we''re just keeping up.  That doesn''t make it right, of course, and perhaps the fact Coventry are only getting 13,000 shows we''re not as vulnerable as some.  But still, it''s an awful lot of money to watch a second grade football match.

The adult comparrison sounds quite fair, but whilst I was at the game yesterday my 9 year old boy went to watch Hull City v Watford and paid £3 for a seat.......

My point is that other clubs are still offering deals for kids to make it affordable for families to go that''s why the Wensum corner family stand was more than half empty yesterday, (in fact the emptiest I have seen it for years) families are the ones who can''t afford the prices...

Fill the family stand with cheap kids tickets and they will buy merchandise from the club shop, perhaps a programme and a drink too!

£31 might be just about an acceptable price if you are young and single but if you are a parent who wants to bring their kids to the game then you can see the problem. Personally I believe that the price of watching football in this country in general is quite ridiculous. When I started going in 1970 watching football and going to the cinema cost pretty much the same. Look at the difference now.

[quote user="Ghost of Davie Ross"]£31 might be just about an acceptable price if you are young and single but if you are a parent who wants to bring their kids to the game then you can see the problem. Personally I believe that the price of watching football in this country in general is quite ridiculous. When I started going in 1970 watching football and going to the cinema cost pretty much the same. Look at the difference now.[/quote]

A non-member could get in for £29 both yesterday and vs. Watford.  I`m not a member as will probably be abroad for a large chunk of the season, but i believe members get £2 off that price?  Could be wrong.

This all started at the back end of last season when the club cashed in on the promotion run-in. Even Stockport was grade A and they were bottom of the league and all but relegated.

[quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Oh and while our season tickets are competitive, those suggesting they are lower than anyone elses is wrong. This is particularly the case in the Jarold stand where theirs never been any concessions so kids and over 60''s have to pay adult prices.

[/quote]

I have a friend who sits in block K of the Jarrold Stand, is over 60 and as far as I am aware he has received a legacy pensioner discount. It has been carried over from when it was the South Stand so I don''t think that this statement is correct. Happy to be corrected by those more in the know.

[/quote]I wish I had some friends......Nobody likes me.

[quote user="Fraz"]I''ll sum it up, I''m a casual supporter, I had absolutely nothing on today and would have normally gone to the game .................[/quote]You must be a well ''ard naturist...............especially over the winter when bits start dropping off.

Talking about empty seats,Check out the Riverside and the Boro V Sheff United game, which starts in 10 minutes time.Will be empty space eveywhere, hardly anyone in the ground at the moment.And, we are always told, people are passionate about Football in the North East.They must just mean the Toon and Sunderland.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Second highest home gate in the Championship today,

Dirty Leeds scraped 25,000 which is down on their usual turnout too.[/quote]Sadly, entirely irrelevant. The question is whether OUR pricing policy is driving away OUR fans. And the comparison with the equivalent Saturday last season (as explained above) provides at the very least some food for thought on this question.[/quote]No, it''s not irrelevant when you consider the crowds Leeds typically get...which shows that attendances at this time of year are always lower than the average so it''s too early to make sweeping generalisations.If you want to talk about empty seats, was anyone watching Wigan v Chelsea?  The English Champions visit and Wigan couldn''t get more than 1/3 full.   Tragic.[/quote]No. It is completely irrelevant to the argument here. Today we got only 424 more than on the equivalent Saturday last season a tier lower. And around 500 fewer than for the Watford game, which was televised and on a Friday night. I would be interested to see the explanation for that, given that posters here said all those people who stayed at home to watch that game on TV would be at Carrow Road today. One confidently predicted 25,000-plus. Not so much.The point, for the umpteenth time, is whether OUR ticket pricing policies are being counter-productive. I am far from making sweeping generalisations, as anyone reading my posts carefully would easily understand. I''m not sure. But there is certainly a question here, with some evidence that the club might be getting it wrong.And I don''t understand why that idea - the club perhaps getting something wrong - should be so shocking. The shock would be if they got everything right.[/quote]It''s a reasonable question to raise.  My point is that attendances across the country are relatively low at the moment so you can''t necessarily pin it all on our new ticket prices, which it sounded as if you are doing.  We won''t have much of an idea until end October/November, but then if we''re doing well, we''ll sell more casual tickets and if we''re 18th in the league, we''ll sell less.  So team performance plays a part too.  Basically there are too many variables to single out the price of tickets alone.[/quote]

However, just supposing attendances are down generally. Nothing to do with holidays. Variables. Anything like that. They are just down. As someone pointed out, 13,000 at Coventry-Derby. That''s pitiful for a team that has started the season well in a sort-of local derby. In that case it doesn''t take a genius to work out why. It''s the recession.. It''s job cuts. It''s frozen wages. It''s the whole economic horror. So how does NCFC react to that situation? Take it into account? Not so much, it appears. It makes Swansea a category A game and charges 12-year-olds £20.And this is the real point. I don''t object to financial belt-tightening at Carrow Road. It was necessary, although I''ve seen some ludicrous claims for their potential beneficial impact. But what seems to be happening is that the club is squeezing the fans at just the wrong time. It seems, and I only say seems, as if the club has been oblivious to the recession, taken the fans for granted, and underestimated the financial constraints on them. Now it may be, if that''s right, that other clubs (Coventry?) have made the same mistake, but that doesn''t excuse us and is of no help to Norwich fans.[/quote]Well, I certainly agree with your last paragraph.  The football bubble looks to be outstripping the property bubble in terms of inflation, be that wages, TV money, ticket prices - it''s overheated and has to crash, and when it does I would fear for the clubs at the bottom of the pyramid who can''t afford flash lawyers or offshore trusts and will probably go to the wall.  Whether we''re happy about keeping up with the Championship in general, in terms of wages and therefore ticket prices to help fund the cost of wages, it''s something we have to do as a club or risk not competing.  It seems crazy to be talking about "not keeping up" when the net result is likely to be we stay at least £20m in debt, and I don''t know how this can ever be resolved without the crash mentioned earlier.Norwich City are basically matching what other

clubs are doing.  In other words, it''s not Norwich City ripping you off,

it''s the football machine in general and we''re just keeping up.  That doesn''t make it right, of course, and perhaps the fact Coventry are only getting 13,000 shows we''re not as vulnerable as some.  But still, it''s an awful lot of money to watch a second grade football match.

[/quote]---Indeed, Chops, and has been my point all along. That in

a time of recession you are asking football clubs to make very

difficult decisions. One where it would be easier to get the balance

(and it IS a question of balance) wrong than to to get it right. They

have to try to assess what the economy is going to be like over the next

few years. And NCFC in particular needs to factor in the Norfolk

economy. Massive job cuts at County hall, for example?

The other point I''ve been making ad nauseam is that the danger of the

directors getting this wrong was all the greater because the new guard

has, by scrapping any serious consultation, insulated itself from fans.

It was very easy to make fun of Munby and Doncaster chatting outside

Carrow Road hours on end, and replying to emails and spending time at

SCG meetings, but I''m not sure that looks quite so stupid now.

There was a very interesting post yesterday from City1st on another thread about this:

"The ticket price hasn''t gone unnoticed, a reliable source said today

that the club has been a bit taken back by the hostility to the hike in

prices. Large number of empty seats AFTER putting in all the extra ones.

A bit of a rethink, maybe ?"

I don''t know whether that''s true - that this hostility has come as a

shock -  but it wouldn''t at all surprirse me, given the lack of contact

with fans. Munby and Doncaster, whatever their faults, would have seen

this coming because they would have been talking to fans.

I''ll sum it up, I''m a casual supporter, I had absolutely nothing on today and would have normally gone to the game but £31 to see swansea I thought i''ll give it a miss and got to the next game.  if the ticket was £25 I would have gone.

Generally the casual ticket buyers are pissed off with the pricing policy, I will pay £31 to watch Norwich but it has to be the right game (Ipswich or like last season, the Leeds game)

Nail hit firmly on the head both times!

Paying these category A prices would be OK for most casual fans for games that are worthy such as Ipswich, Leeds, title/promotion deciders and play off game but not against Swansea in August!

I''d put the casual fans into 3 groups -

You have some casuals who are casual fans cause they aren''t that interested but will jump on the bandwagon if we''re doing well!

Their are fans who''d like to have season tickets but can''t of of either cost where they live, job/studying or cause they compete in sport.

Fans who have a more than passing interest in Norwich City and have kids who''s like to go every now and again!

The 1st group will not pay top prices for a game against a Welsh side who have spent most of their history in the bottom Divisions in August.

The 2nd group have to pick and choose but would attend if available if the price wasn''t too prohibitive.

The 3rd group unless massively wealthy will not go cause of the cost!

Its not rocket science!

I fully agree the club had to tighten its belt and get more prudent but the admission prices have gone over the top and will only lose the club money. I''d say we''d of had 1000 extra for both home League games had adult prices been £25 or under and kids prcing wern''t so ridiculus!

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Oh and while our season tickets are competitive, those suggesting they are lower than anyone elses is wrong. This is particularly the case in the Jarold stand where theirs never been any concessions so kids and over 60''s have to pay adult prices.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wish I had some friends......

Nobody likes me.
[/quote]

I like you Cluck [:)]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I wish I had some friends......Nobody likes me.[/quote]

I like you Cluck [:)]

[/quote][:)]

Mrs Boadicea and I travelled down to London last week to take in a show, we got day tickets for £20 each, very good seats, and a very good show. I understand the club needs to be more commercial, but I think it needs to look again at family prices, particulary for children under the age of 12, as Cluck rightly say these are the fans of the future and it seems folly to price them out of attending....

Agreed SoB. The club should encourage the youngsters, they are the fans of the future with 60 or 70 years support in front of them. They should balance the books by doing away with the over 60 concessions. There''s no long term benefit in encouraging them[:O].

Start the concessions at 65