Sign in to follow this  
Delia Out!

Hoolahan

Absolutely dreadful today, only did a couple of useful things all game.

It just proves the massive change in class between Championship and League 1.

On a better note, thought everyone else played well, especially Elliott Ward [Y]

Yeh, i noticed this too, the more i see him the more he seems to be a luxury player .... he seems to be easily marked out of the game too and gives the ball away in some crazy places. Yeh good on elliot ward and especially ruddy i must admite... i slated a few weeks back and it hurts me to say it i thought russell martin looked OK [:)]

[quote user="Delia Out"]

Absolutely dreadful today, only did a couple of useful things all game.

It just proves the massive change in class between Championship and League 1.

On a better note, thought everyone else played well, especially Elliott Ward [Y]

[/quote]Or that even one of best players can have an off-day.

Disagree with OP completely - apart from Elliot Ward comment.

I thought a lot of the team were average today and Hoolahan was no better or worse than the rest.

Most put in several misplaced passes etc.

I think he''s overrated. Obviously he''s a class act when he''s on his game but does he do it enough to base our whole system around him? At this level, I don''t think so.

Having watched a couple of the games this season I got the impression that the one player who could spread the ball around and play some decent diagonal balls with vision was Surman.

I would consider playing him at the front of the diamond.

<---- Stands back and puts flame proof clothing on.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Yeh, i noticed this too, the more i see him the more he seems to be a luxury player .... he seems to be easily marked out of the game too and gives the ball away in some crazy places.

Yeh good on elliot ward and especially ruddy i must admite... i slated a few weeks back and it hurts me to say it i thought russell martin looked OK [:)]
[/quote]

You obviously didn''t go to Scunthorpe then when he totally ran the midfield in the second half!

Agreed he had a poor game today with a string of misplaced passes but why do some people insist on slating him at every opportunity? You''ll regret him big style when he''s gone that''s for sure.

He is a class act, i believe our best player as well, he had a poor game, and we got the three points, its over and now he can forget it and get his mind ready for the next game!

And on the note of Surman i thought he was just as poor as Wes!!

Can we get over slagging players off for 1 poor game please?  No player, not even Messi or Ronaldo can play every game perfect.  So Hoolahan had a poor game, cast your minds back 2 weeks ago when Ward, Jacko and Ruddy were slagged off after Watford.  These guys need time and support, this is a big step up and so far we''re coping really well.  The defence has tightened up and we''re scoring goals and our fitness levels seem amazing.  As long as they are giving 110%, thats all you can ask for. 

I pay £380 to sla g off whoever I want. If you don''t like it stop being such a pinkun boffin and get a life.

[quote user="jed exodous"]Can we get over slagging players off for 1 poor game please?  No player, not even Messi or Ronaldo can play every game perfect.  So Hoolahan had a poor game, cast your minds back 2 weeks ago when Ward, Jacko and Ruddy were slagged off after Watford.  These guys need time and support, this is a big step up and so far we''re coping really well.  The defence has tightened up and we''re scoring goals and our fitness levels seem amazing.  As long as they are giving 110%, thats all you can ask for. [/quote]Not sure 110% is all we can ask for as I could do that, and trust me you wouldn''t want this unfit overweight 45 year old in our midfield [;)], this is spot on.

hoolahan  had a poor game today yes but hell we won 2 0 thought jackson took his goal superbly hopefully that will kick start his scoring career here.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]An off-day from a class player.[/quote]^^This.Words seriously fail me here sometimes.

Yes Hoolahan is a very good player on his day but, is he really THAT good?  Not in my opinion and he is definately not good enough for us to fit a formation around him at Championship level.  He and Holt were the worst players on the pitch today and every time the two combined together the ball went straight to Swansea.  As for someone saying Surman was just as bad, I don''t think he was.  He wasn''t brilliant but he done a few bright things and he certainly didn''t lose the ball every time he got it and certainly didn''t deserve to be taken off when he did.

When McNamee came on he made an impact and for the period of time he was on for he done twice the job of Hoolahan today.  In the three matches I have been to this season so far (Watford, Gillingham and Swansea) McNamee has actually, in my opinion, shown more promise than Hoolahan at this level apart from the Watford game where he was only on for about 5 minutes.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="jed exodous"]Can we get over slagging players off for 1 poor game please?  No player, not even Messi or Ronaldo can play every game perfect.  So Hoolahan had a poor game, cast your minds back 2 weeks ago when Ward, Jacko and Ruddy were slagged off after Watford.  These guys need time and support, this is a big step up and so far we''re coping really well.  The defence has tightened up and we''re scoring goals and our fitness levels seem amazing.  As long as they are giving 110%, thats all you can ask for. [/quote]

Not sure 110% is all we can ask for as I could do that, and trust me you wouldn''t want this unfit overweight 45 year old in our midfield [;)], this is spot on.
[/quote]

You know what i mean, players will have bad games, i wasn''t there today, but regardless of how badly he might have been playing, he would have still been looking for the ball or trying to play the killer pass.  Sounded as if he was beaten too easily a few times today, but hes not in the team for his defensive qualities, hes in the team for what he does in games like last week.

As for paying £380, well good for you.  Just makes a poster look stupid when they are so quick to jump on the back of player after 1 poor game, look what happened since the Watford game.

I knew we couldn''t enjoy a Saturday night without someone getting slagged off.  If its not Chrissy for ''his lack of effort'' or Nelson for being ''Nelson'', we then move onto one of our best players in the squad. 

Completely agree boyo. Surman is a different class to some of our lot: assured touch, good vision, good pass selection. Hoolahan is such a frustrating player because he has a ratio of 1:10 moments of magic to giving the ball away. I think you''re right, he isn''t good enough to base our system around. I think we would be far more efficient with the ball if we reverted to a 4-4-2 with 4 of our 5 league goals coming from wide areas.

[quote user="First Wizard"]ffs, just enjoy a brilliant victory against a class side.[/quote]

Swanseas are hardly a ''class'' side!

Hoolahan will be well and truly found out this season, Id push Surman up to the top of the diamond. Or even play Simeon, Chrissy and Holt.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]ffs, just enjoy a brilliant victory against a class side.[/quote]

[/quote]

However, they are a side who finished 7th last season and will be there or there abouts come the end of the season - and as such are a decent side.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

However, they are a side who finished 7th last season and will be there or there abouts come the end of the season - and as such are a decent side.

[/quote]

Yeah I agree with you Iwan.  Swansea were good last season and they looked good today.  They will be challenging for the play offs again this season.

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]

Having watched a couple of the games this season I got the impression that the one player who could spread the ball around and play some decent diagonal balls with vision was Surman.

I would consider playing him at the front of the diamond.

<---- Stands back and puts flame proof clothing on.

[/quote]

I agree, and then have mcnamee/lappin on the left

Can I remind you all what happend when Wes was out for the last 6 games last time we were in this division. I say we are better with him than without and McNamee well Imo a good player to have on the bench against tied defenders.

he was garbage today!! Not one decent pass whole game!! he is a luxury we may not be able to carry him this year if he has too many off days!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]he was garbage today!! Not one decent pass whole game!! he is a luxury we may not be able to carry him this year if he has too many off days!!!
[/quote]

Talk about hypocrisy. So we''re allowed to abuse one of our best players but now that the new boys have had a decent game we all have to get behind them. [:S][^o)]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]he was garbage today!! Not one decent pass whole game!! he is a luxury we may not be able to carry him this year if he has too many off days!!!
[/quote]

Talk about hypocrisy. So we''re allowed to abuse one of our best players but now that the new boys have had a decent game we all have to get behind them. [:S][^o)]

[/quote]

Yes, we get behind the new boys because they all had a good/great game today, whereas Hoolahan was truly dreadful.

Nobody ''has to get behind them'' as you put it, I and many others are praising the new players on today''s performance because they all played well/very well, but I''m not going to give praise and get behind Hoolahan on today''s performance.

Last season he was great, but at this level, as so many others have put it, he is a luxury.