Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Obscene chanting

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For crying out loud squire its football. It was the backbones hobby of the working class,what do you expect? Stop being so wet cupcakes,those poor precious prince and princess might hear a naughty word...awwwww![/quote]

Working class supporters of the 1950s didn''t resort to foul language. Why now? A sad indictment of todays society in I''m afraid.

[quote user="Squire"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For crying out loud squire its football. It was the backbones hobby of the working class,what do you expect? Stop being so wet cupcakes,those poor precious prince and princess might hear a naughty word...awwwww![/quote]

Working class supporters of the 1950s didn''t resort to foul language. Why now? A sad indictment of todays society in I''m afraid.[/quote]

And the 60s,70s,80s,90s? I think you''ll find its been going on for decades and its certainly less heard now. We have a couple of fantastic theaters in Norwich mate,sounds more to your liking. If you managed to get through the said decades and still follow the beautiful game you shouldn''t feel to offended these days in the happy clappy quaffing fortress Carrow RD!!

I well rememeber the colourful language that often passed between Keelan and Black. The terrace songs at the time were almost as ''lively''

Sadly we are pandering to the ''family'' whereby we now have a ground populated not by those who have grown up playing the game, have most likely worked saturday morning and welcome the chance to get away from the family but by these twee folk who will bleat out such witless gibberish as ''sort it out'', ''assists'' ''comfidence player'' etc.

I had the misfortune to sit in the South Stand last October and was surrounded by these brain dead know nothings. Bored at halftime I asked the Dad of one such gathering what he meant by a ''confidence player'' as he had informed the rest of his tribe of this phrase about a dozen times.

No at clue. In fact he had little clue about the game, our history pre the Premiership season and clearly had not played the game much, even at school.

Yep grown ups swear.

But the hypocricy of allowing little Tarquin to sit in front of a keyboard playing games that routinely feature death in numourous graphic ways yet whinge about words heard at a football match is an insult to the rest of us.

[quote user="City1st"]I well rememeber the colourful language that often passed between Keelan and Black. The terrace songs at the time were almost as ''lively''

Sadly we are pandering to the ''family'' whereby we now have a ground populated not by those who have grown up playing the game, have most likely worked saturday morning and welcome the chance to get away from the family but by these twee folk who will bleat out such witless gibberish as ''sort it out'', ''assists'' ''comfidence player'' etc.

I had the misfortune to sit in the South Stand last October and was surrounded by these brain dead know nothings. Bored at halftime I asked the Dad of one such gathering what he meant by a ''confidence player'' as he had informed the rest of his tribe of this phrase about a dozen times.

No at clue. In fact he had little clue about the game, our history pre the Premiership season and clearly had not played the game much, even at school.

Yep grown ups swear.

But the hypocricy of allowing little Tarquin to sit in front of a keyboard playing games that routinely feature death in numourous graphic ways yet whinge about words heard at a football match is an insult to the rest of us.[/quote][Y] Absolutely spot on

I learned to swear in the Barclay at the age of 12 and I don''t think it did me much harm.  I used to hear worse in the playground.

The problem is to many whinging women at Carrow Road - get rid of them and you have solved the problem.  Particularly the old fart along the row from me

Simple... some swear words are more offensive than others, stewards and police have powers to deal with it, but will only concentrate on racism and very obnoxious swearing (the C word typically).  Norwich City pride themselves on being a supporter friendly club, and wouldn''t like the thought of someone being constantly offended.  However, some chants, although a little bit colourful, are usually funny and with thought.  If Squire you are being offended by one induvidual on a weekly basis, a word in the stewards ear maybe in favour?

I learned the F word at 6, C word at 7 and lost my virginity to a 25 year old UEA sports student. I was arrested for murder at 10 and hung for treason at 12.

So the moral of the story is that anyone can say any old shit and its not necessarily true.

What that has to do with this topic....Read between the lines because im not sure.

[quote user="Squire"]Seems to be part and parcel these days but frankly I could do without it. Not clever, and unimaginative. Am I alone?[/quote]

i think it makes it funny to go to games when in the barclay. just a bit of banter nothing else

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

I learned to swear in the Barclay at the age of 12 and I don''t think it did me much harm.  I used to hear worse in the playground.

The problem is to many whinging women at Carrow Road - get rid of them and you have solved the problem.  Particularly the old fart along the row from me

[/quote]

F@@king brilliant

I have gone to the games twenty something years now with my dad and even now I don''t swear very often (unless for special occasions like Andy D''urso) Old habits and that.

I quite like to save my outbursts for the very special people in the game. The Muscats, the D''ursos'' etc

Now I do swear and I accept that there will be swearing at football. But I do find the one or two 15-20 year olds (and the occasional 50 something who still thinks they''re 20) who spend the whole game watching the away support, giving arm gestures and calling people c***s for the whole game, a little bit dull. Get a proper chant going (something with a bit more imagination) and watch the bloody game.

In terms of swearing in society I do think us Brit''s let ourselves down. While swearing goes on in all Countries most seem to understand that there''s a time and a place.

It makes me cringe on the train when there is a young family on board and then there is a group of teens- older folk F''ing, and blinding, using the C word. But then again the young family probably are f''ing and blinding themselves these days.

[quote user="CCEK"]I have gone to the games twenty something years now with my dad and even now I don''t swear very often (unless for special occasions like Andy D''urso) Old habits and that.

I quite like to save my outbursts for the very special people in the game. The Muscats, the D''ursos'' etc

Now I do swear and I accept that there will be swearing at football. But I do find the one or two 15-20 year olds (and the occasional 50 something who still thinks they''re 20) who spend the whole game watching the away support, giving arm gestures and calling people c***s for the whole game, a little bit dull. Get a proper chant going (something with a bit more imagination) and watch the bloody game.

In terms of swearing in society I do think us Brit''s let ourselves down. While swearing goes on in all Countries most seem to understand that there''s a time and a place.

It makes me cringe on the train when there is a young family on board and then there is a group of teens- older folk F''ing, and blinding, using the C word. But then again the young family probably are f''ing and blinding themselves these days.[/quote]Too right- overuse of swearwords dilutes the impact somewhat. People who use the f word as punctuation dont offend me, more annoy me- a good joke or song can have its impact increased by a well placed swear word. By all means swear but at least be original.

I accept that swearing is part and parcel of going to football. Sadly, it''s indicative of society. A vast number of people use swear words because they do not have the vocabulary to use something else. It''s the persistent swearing that''s most irritating at football, as CCEK and KC pointed out. Those are the ones who need to [:#]I personally don''t sing the songs/chants with the very rude words but that''s my choice, as is the choice of others to join in with them. It''s not that I never swear, just when situations are fraught, such as that game we try not to mention from earlier in the season.

I''m not a peristant swearer and neither is most other people but football matches is a different territory alltogether where people go to let their hair down and for passionate supporters football games can make one swear and that was the case when I was standing in the old stand paddock in the 1950''s!

Those that moan about it at football aren''t being real and/or don''t understand the football fan!

The ref at the Southampton game and Smudger on here would make the pope swear!

I would imagine the views on this thread pretty much mirror those of the fans at games. Some of us swear like a trooper others don''t. Some are offended to hear the language and others aren''t. Each to their own and who are we to judge other peoples values. However the part that I can''t accept is the belief of some that this is a relatively modern thing. I have been going to Carrow Road since the mid-sixties and the swearing has always been there. In fact it''s more pleasant now because although the language is no better than it was it is at least not linked to racism as it was when I first became aware of it.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]if you dont like it-dont go[/quote]

How constructive. youareajoke.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]if you dont like it-dont go[/quote]

I''ve been a NCFC supporter for 55+ years. Moronic chanting won''t deter me. I just think it''s pathetic, unimaginative, embarrassing, and unnecessary. Judging by the response, many agree to differ. Fair enough.

[quote user="Things are looking up "]I sit in the Barclay with my 2 lads and I did warn them about the swearing before I first took them...........but it''s ok the Barclay soon got used to their foul language!!![/quote]the old ones are always the best ;-)

[quote user="Things are looking up "]There''s one thing for sure though, I''d rather they were sitting beside me swearing than out on their own smoking , drinking , taking drugs etc.  There''s far worse things to worry about.[/quote]

I''ll second that.

I''ve been watching Norwich since the end of the 60''s starting in the South Stand as a kid took to the game by his Dad, then moved on to the Barclay and now in the Snake Pit and I can honestly say that in my opinion there are far less abusive chants going round than there were through the 70''s and 80''s, same goes for the amount of bad language being used.Not trying to be funny or anything but the Family Enclosure is where you should be taking children if you don''t want them to be surrounded by bad language, that is after all what it is there for.

I took my kids to Oldham at the weekend for their first ever league game, and whilst the swearing did make me a little uncomfortable at times, there''s very little I can do about it and I doubt they were paying too much attention to the chanting anyway.  They''re 6, they''ve got more important things to worry about, such as why their Daddy didn''t give them an inflatable canary like the kid sitting next to them, and getting their legs caught in chairs...To conclude, though, I''d like to leave you all with the thoughts of the great Malcolm Tucker:"I''m sorry, you won''t hear any more swearing from me... you MASSIVE GAY SHITE! F * * K OFF!!"

You can feel what you like about swearing, but the idea that people swear because of a lack of vocabulary is a load of f***ing b*****ks.