Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

In over 50 years I have seen nothing more disgraceful at NCFC...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]......the most disgraceful scene I''ve ever seen at Carrow road was two Saturdays ago. Beaten by six goals in the lowest leagues for 50 years. [/quote]

And what has that got to do with the brutal and counterproductive way in which Gunn was fired?

OTBC

P.S. And when did we last win 4-0 away at a club in the same league?

[/quote]with three new board members and a new chief executive at the first game of the season at home losing 7-1, I think it''s got EVERYTHING to do with the WAY he was sacked on friday - sorry Bryan but the new blood doesn''t want to give you a nice pay off - we should wait and actually hear what BG says about it or we got more of the story from sources BEFORE we get all MELODRAMATIC, reading your OP though I think you''re already there.The facts remain though that we don''t know what went on that week - the three members of the coaching team might have had a scrap on the friday afternoon, who knows? Well i bet that you probably don''t.

P.S. when did we ever think that beating Yeovil 4-0 was a mark of progress. 

[quote user="Scottlarock"]......the most disgraceful scene I''ve ever seen at Carrow road was two Saturdays ago. Beaten by six goals in the lowest leagues for 50 years.

[/quote]

And what has that got to do with the brutal and counterproductive way in which Gunn was fired?

OTBC

[/quote]

2004/5 vs Derby. I was there. In George Burleys face :) Those were the days :(

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]......the most disgraceful scene I''ve ever seen at Carrow road was two Saturdays ago. Beaten by six goals in the lowest leagues for 50 years. [/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

You may be right from the moral point of view, the way it was done and the timing. But many think Norwich has been missing the mean streak that it often takes to be successful. Maybe this is exactly the decisive method of running the club that we very much need.

[/quote]

The way in which it was done was stupid from every point of view.

To be decisive one does not have to be brutal, and, frankly nasty. Those are the characteristics of a bully.

Read Yelverton above.

OTBC

[/quote]You don''t know all the facts - I''m glad he got fired, should''ve happened years ago (I promise you that) - he shouldn''t have been let anywhere near the football team. It''s as simple as that, everything that has happened since has been a result of  garbage decisions and huge ego. Boo hoo , BG got sacked - this is football and it''s about time some people started seeing sense.You don''t know what happened - misplaced optimism and sentimentality has been the CURSE of this club for years.   FOOTBALL is what it''s about.

I still think there is alot more to come from this. maybe the players expressed concerns over tactics or a training ground bust up or fingers crossed new owners coming in. It doesn''t add up to a normal sacking it would have been dealt with before they travelled. But only at NCFC would he get the job in the first place!  

Agree 100% with you BBB. Those crowing over Gunn''s longed for dismissal are missing the point - even if the decision was right its timing was wrong. For me it was at least 3 games too soon. I suspect the CEO had doubts from early on - and Colchester was the perfect opening for him. But rather than be accused of a kneejerk reaction they waited for another anticipated poor result at Yeovil - which didn''t come so  an instant dismissal was required before risking another good result at Exeter. After Yeovil it would have taken a bit of lobbying to get the entire Board on side (essential) - but obviously the majority shareholders could not have risked a walkout by their new CEO could they? They look utterly stupid now though have only just recently given him a new contract.For many, the end will justify the means no matter what. Bring in Russian, Arab or Far Eastern money and replicate Chelsea or Manchester City - yippee. Let the manager buy up the entire Ipswich team and deck them all in green and yellow and that will be quite OK if the results follow. Not for me. And the manner of Gunn''s dismissal will leave me uneasy even if we get back in the Premiership within 2 years.What is done is done - let''s all get behind the new manager who must be given a better run at it than Gunn was given - but even Alec Ferguson himself would not guarantee success. I sincerely hope it is a genuine selection process - perhaps based on the wish list of last time around  - and not a name the CEO has had up his sleeve all along.

I am also very unhappy at the way that Gunn was sacked after seeing what I regarded as a fine team performance at Yeovil and a great hat-trick by Holt. As far as I was concerned, that result and the changes to the team had atoned for the Colchester debacle. I was not a great supporter of Gunn, but as others have said, he really should have been given a few more games to prove whether we had turned the corner. I was quite shocked to learn that he had been sacked on Friday, and now like others I fear that the disruption caused could now ruin this season unless a really good managerial appointment is made very soon.   

Don''t know about 50 years, but In over 30 years I have seen nothing more disgraceful at NCFC than the last three competitive matches - Reading at home, Charlton away, Colchester at home.  Gunn had to go.

I think there is a lot more behind the sacking for sure. I am just as sure that we will never know what it is. Everything that comes out will be just pure conjecture or third-hand knowledge. I think there is a McNally Wall of Silence that we will now have to learn to live with.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Don''t know about 50 years, but In over 30 years I have seen nothing more disgraceful at NCFC than the last three competitive matches - Reading at home, Charlton away, Colchester at home.  Gunn had to go.
[/quote]

That''s not the point of this thread.

And you know it.

OTBC

Which ever way you look at it - if you think Gunn deserved to go or you think it was a bad decision to sack him, things were picking up [freak result not included] now the club finds itself back in turmoil looking desperately to find a replacement. It seems those who are happy with the Gunn sacking are under some illusion that some masterstroke is in the offing and McNally with his huge [cough] football knowledge will bring in a great manager as replacement - I don''t think the guy has a scooby doo what he''s doing to be honest - sorry to break some peoples little bubble but there you have it

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Don''t know about 50 years, but In over 30 years I have seen nothing more disgraceful at NCFC than the last three competitive matches - Reading at home, Charlton away, Colchester at home.  Gunn had to go.
[/quote]

And you know it.

OTBC

[/quote]

But he''s right though, the world and his wife watched these three games and were appalled.

[quote user="NCFC1"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

.... than the brutal way in which Bryan Gunn was treated. And just think how Butterworth, Crook, Deehan and the players - especially those he brought in must be feeling.

This is not the Norwich way Miss Smith. You must go now.

I was rather underwhelmed by the original appointment of Bryan Gunn. But once Team Gunn emerged with the addition of the other former Carrow Road stalwarts I thought why not give it a go and wish them good luck. The psychological mess and loan policy left by Roeder was always likely to lead to relegation, so when Gunn was confirmed as manager, allowed to do a little housecleaning, throw out the loans policy, bring in 12 new players etc I thought Team Gunn would be given a few months to prove themselves.

I suspect that stagefright, bad luck and panic fed on each other against Colchester and the the Yeovil result was more a true reflection of the quality of the team. Surely there were no clues in the pre-season build-up which would have predicted imminent catastrope, which supports this theory.

No. Panic took over after Colchester, and McNally and Bowker saw their main chance - and Smith acquiesced in the vain hope that they would rescue her from the pending firestorm.

Ken Brown is bemused. I am bemused, embarrassed and angry. No matter how hard or difficult things are this is just not the way to do things.

Fire Gunn by all means if that is the considered solution.

But not in this brutal and unfair manner. I mean, by what kind of judgement do you give a man (a team really) a new contract, allow him to restructure the squad, bring in 12 new players etc and then fire him (them? as they must be almost as culpable mustn''t they?) after a freak  1-7 followed by a good 4-0 against comparable opposition.

And still the majority will not admit that their Empress has no clothes!

All I will say in summary is that there are ways to do things - and brutality and public humiliation are NOT the way. And the buck stops at the top.

And that''s the way I see it.

Nuff said.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

dont bother following norwich then gunn needed to go and its the best thing the boards done in ages[/quote]i dont agree with the view expressed but i find the response from the tw@t above to be disrespectful and lazy. fu9k off until you can formulate a viewpoint at least as coherent as that given by a 50 year plus fan.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

And you know it.

OTBC

[/quote]

But he''s right though, the world and his wife watched these three games and were appalled.

[/quote]

I agree too Wazzy, but the comment is still off point.

I would be more interested in replies from the two of you to my views expressed in the post.

OTBC 

Stability, continuity and time are what is required to return Norwich to a higher level - What do we get - panic, ugliness and a knee jerk sacking. Just when I was getting the feeling that Norwich were going to stick to their plan (despite the 7-1) and give the present set up time to work, they ruin all the work of the last few months and alienate several thousand fans in the way they have treated Gunny. Shame on the board.

.... than the brutal way in which Bryan Gunn was treated. And just think how Butterworth, Crook, Deehan and the players - especially those he brought in must be feeling.

I was rather underwhelmed by the original appointment of Bryan Gunn. But once Team Gunn emerged with the addition of the other former Carrow Road stalwarts I thought why not give it a go and wish them good luck. The psychological mess and loan policy left by Roeder was always likely to lead to relegation, so when Gunn was confirmed as manager, allowed to do a little housecleaning, throw out the loans policy, bring in 12 new players etc I thought Team Gunn would be given a few months to prove themselves.

I suspect that stagefright, bad luck and panic fed on each other against Colchester and the the Yeovil result was more a true reflection of the quality of the team. Surely there were no clues in the pre-season build-up which would have predicted imminent catastrope, which supports this theory.

No. Panic took over after Colchester, and McNally and Bowker saw their main chance - and Smith acquiesced in the vain hope that they would rescue her from the pending firestorm.

Ken Brown is bemused. I am bemused, embarrassed and angry. No matter how hard or difficult things are this is just not the way to do things.

But not in this brutal and unfair manner. I mean, by what kind of judgement do you give a man (a team really) a new contract, allow him to restructure the squad, bring in 12 new players etc and then fire him (them? as they must be almost as culpable mustn''t they?) after a freak  1-7 followed by a good 4-0 against comparable opposition.

All I will say in summary is that there are ways to do things - and brutality and public humiliation are NOT the way. And the buck stops at the top.

Nuff said.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote].The problem with this post is that it is as confused and sentimental as

some of the decisions taken by the old board over the last few years.

It also betrays a lack of knowledge of the club''s history.

Not the Norwich way? Take the reign of Watling. Four managers in just

over five years. All fired. Reid after just five months. Swindin after

seven months. Hard to get more brutal than that. Or the sacking (or did

he walk out?) of Saunders by South. Either way it was brutal.

"This is not the Norwich way Miss Smith."

Oh but it is. Or, at least, it used to be. And if we have at last moved

away from decisions overly influenced by sentimentality then that is

all for the good.

As for: "There are ways to do things - and brutality and public

humiliation are NOT the way." This makes no sense. How exactly do you

sack someone in the public eye without humiliating them? It cannot be

done. It is by its nature a humiliating event.

If Gunn had not wanted to be humiliated then he should not have decided to try to become a football manager.

I can''t help but agree with Bly for once. Yes he shouldn''t of been appointed but seriously after getting slaughtered 7-1 and then getting the team to respond with a 4-0 win why sack him then?

Why on the Friday before a game?

Why sack him after the team had responded so well? And yes people at the start of the season would of accepted 4-0 in that game and put it down as a very good result.

At the end of the day he should never of been Norwich manager, he should never of been given an extended contract and he should never of been fired in the way he was.

Davo

You put yourself in the firing line and you have to expect that this can happen.

"But after just one game"? Yes because of what DIDN''T happen during and after that game.

All too similar to a deer in the headlights - no changes during the first half, no changes at half time, didn''t even use the third sub. And the "I don''t know what happened response" Not even an apology, or apparently that being quite literally thrashed 1-7 was a big deal.. I''m sure he knows better but he didn''t say anything, didn''t offer any leadership in a time of crisis.

And yes I know we won 4-0 at Yeovil, but we won 4-0 against Bradford too and what followed that?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Nuff said.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]
The problem with this post is that it is as confused and sentimental as some of the decisions taken by the old board over the last few years. It also betrays a lack of knowledge of the club''s history.

Not the Norwich way? Take the reign of Watling. Four managers in just over five years. All fired. Reid after just five months. Swindin after seven months. Hard to get more brutal than that. Or the sacking (or did he walk out?) of Saunders by South. Either way it was brutal.

"This is not the Norwich way Miss Smith."

Oh but it is. Or, at least, it used to be. And if we have at last moved away from decisions overly influenced by sentimentality then that is all for the good.

As for: "There are ways to do things - and brutality and public humiliation are NOT the way." This makes no sense. How exactly do you sack someone in the public eye without humiliating them? It cannot be done. It is by its nature a humiliating event.

If Gunn had not wanted to be humiliated then he should not have decided to try to become a football manager
[/quote]

It is not the firing, nor the frequency of the firing.

It is the manner and mechanics of the firing and the consequeces.

I recommend that you read Yelverton Yellow above and come back.

It is clearer than ever that The Empress has no clothes - or are you too in denial?

OTBC

Last Friday''s events have clearly had a big impact. Most worryingly I find myself agreeing with Bly for the first time, and Smudger quoted a post of mine to make his point! Blimey.

A lot of you, who think it was the correct decision to fire Gunn, seem to accuse those who don''t of sentimentality.

What is supporting Norwich City about if it isn''t sentimentality? without sentiment it must be purely geography which is rather depressing.

A football club cannot be purely a business. It cannot be win at all costs. Otherwise what is the point? Norwich City has to feel like our team, and it takes a little more then living near the ground to make a club feel like mine.

Personally, I''ve never been ashamed of my club before, I am now.

I know you can all say "7-1 at home should make you ashamed". Maybe it should, it just made me embarrased.

I don''t care what league we''re in to be honest. I just want to go to the football, recognise the team as "ours", and will them to win.

Whatever happens now, will be tinged with sadness. In all honesty, if we win the league now, I will feel very little. It will be nothing like the pride I felt when we won the Championship, as the man who built the bloody team won''t be there.

For the first time ever, and for very different reasons to the majority of you....I want the board out.

I seem to remember Ken brown being sacked just as brutally.

even still the timing of the sacking was a joke, quite what the board was hoping to achieve by that is beyond me, other than to destabilise the team.

There is a story behind this for sure.

The football club should not be a retirement home for former players, legend or not.

This is not the Norwich way miss smith?

That''s exactly the point little ole Norwich and it''s nice ways, where did that get us?

I have said for ages now that we need a ruthless businessman at the top making the difficult decisions, not a nicey nicey cook.

McNally is just what we need.

For the first time in years it felt like we were beginning to find some direction, as far as I''m concerned the sacking of Gunn once again finds us floundering in the wilderness and looking desperate.For those who think McNally is some kind of expert in making football decisions, I have to ask where is the evidence? - It would appear this is his first decision and it''s the wrong one!.In some ways it reminds me of Roeder getting rid of Huckerby, that decision and the way he went about it did little to unite the club but set the ball rolling for Roeder''s ultimate downfall

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Don''t know about 50 years, but In over 30 years I have seen nothing more disgraceful at NCFC than the last three competitive matches - Reading at home, Charlton away, Colchester at home.  Gunn had to go. [/quote]Summed up perfectly you cannot argue with that!

Nuff said.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

How do you fire someone in a nice way? It''s a common complaint on these threads that Norwich are just too, well, nice. Maybe the new, less attractive, meaner style of club management might deliver what 24,000 fans and more deserve, instead of this worse-than-mediocre tripe we''ve been fed for the last five years.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Nuff said.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote].The problem with this post is that it is as confused and sentimental as some of the decisions taken by the old board over the last few years. It also betrays a lack of knowledge of the club''s history.Not the Norwich way? Take the reign of Watling. Four managers in just over five years. All fired. Reid after just five months. Swindin after seven months. Hard to get more brutal than that. Or the sacking (or did he walk out?) of Saunders by South. Either way it was brutal."This is not the Norwich way Miss Smith."Oh but it is. Or, at least, it used to be. And if we have at last moved away from decisions overly influenced by sentimentality then that is all for the good.As for: "There are ways to do things - and brutality and public humiliation are NOT the way." This makes no sense. How exactly do you sack someone in the public eye without humiliating them? It cannot be done. It is by its nature a humiliating event.If Gunn had not wanted to be humiliated then he should not have decided to try to become a football manager.[/quote]

It is not the firing, nor the frequency of the firing.

It is the manner and mechanics of the firing and the consequeces.

I recommend that you read Yelverton Yellow above and come back.

It is clearer than ever that The Empress has no clothes - or are you too in denial?

OTBC

[/quote]why is it so important for you,that you have to try and portray a higher level of intelligence than you really have - be happy in your own skin. Instead of telling people to read your supporters views of your arguments - re-read your own, think about it, assess the strengths of the opposing arguments then log out and cancel your account. Regardless of whether you''re right or wrong, you''ll at least be pleasing the majority.

Referring to your OP Bly, surely the 1-7 defeat at home to Colchester was the most disgraceful thing you have ever seen at Norwich City? I know it was mine.I thought you were one of the great advocates of concentrating on the football rather than the board room. I appreciate it was harsh on Gunn, but he knew the risks when he took the job. Certainly, it was the correct decision and I don''t see anybody slating him as a person.In my opinion it''s about time the club starting treating results on the pitch as more important than sentiment and "being nice Little Norwich", would you not agree?

As mentioned... Reading at home was our last chance to have survival in our own hands and that was totally inept bar Cody then to the Charlton game where we had to win no matter what, we lost 4-2 to an already religated side then the first game of the new season at a lower level and we get smashed 7-1.

Sorry but i agree with this decision, while i liked Gunn and wanted him to do well, we''re in a position where we need to be ruthless and show some cajones for a change and McNally is that man.