Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Where do people think we will finish?

Of course there have been threads to this effect on several occassions already, but having now signed 12 permanent players and with the possibility of more on the way, having not lost a pre-season game yet and with Jamie Cureton looking like he might end up 6th in the pecking order, where do people think we will finish?

About 4-5 weeks ago I said that we would just scrape 6th. I am now going for 2nd.

So, where did you think we were going to finish 5 weeks ago and where do you think we will finish now? Exact positions only please (no range allowed), as I want to bring this thread up at the end of the year. (Mr. Bump this means that you originally thought that we would finish 22nd-24th).

Right, so I am officially on record saying that I think we will finish 2nd.

Somewhere in the top 3 (along with Leeds and Huddersfield).

Get rid of Russel and Cureton before the end of the transfer window, whilst preferably adding a winger-cum-striker, and I''d go for 1st place.

Oh and we''ll lift the Paint Trophy on our Wembley visit!

That would almost make up for so many seasons of under-achievment and disgraceful performances.

I think the defence and midfield look quite strong. 

But the saying is "you are only as good as your strikers" and I don''t think we will score enough goals based upon the squad as it is at the moment.

My guess is 7th - but I expect more changes to the squad yet.

I''m gonna go for 2nd place. Quite optimistic with how the squad has been taking shape, but Leeds, Southampton and Huddersfield will provide stiff competition. Leeds to win the title with Huddersfield beating Southampton in the playoffs.

5 weeks ago, I thought we''d get a mid table finish, maybe 11th.

Now, on paper our squad looks pretty decent, so I think we''ll finish 2nd. I wouldn''t be surprised if Millwall or Leeds were to win it.

That''s only ''on paper'' though...

7thIf Hucks comes back as a player/coach then maybe 5th. I still think we lack that kind of spark although the squad is looking much more capable now.I don''t know about Maric but I cant see Holt, Martin, Cureton or McDonald scoring enough to get us to near 90 points. Holt is a good signing but I still think he is more of the Heskey type of hard worker, creating chances for others type- maybe 12-14 for the season, Martin could be brilliant but is inconsistent- 10-12 goals, Curo is past his best and just can''t seem to do it for NCFC- 8 goals this season if he stays (that or he''ll find his touch and get 30!!). McDonald I feel is all hype and wishfull thinking- I doubt he''ll play more than 20 minutes more than a handful of times and maybe pick up 7 or 8 goals.I think we will get 70+ points but that doesn''t get you much in this league most years.

1st - at end of last season tho I had no faith in Gunn and would have said 16th but he''s slowly proving me wrong he''s nailed the transfers I can''t remember a season when 12/13 players came to the club and only one being a loan player. Now lets hope he gets the selections and tatics right.

Pros - squad with cover for all positions

- feel good factor back with the fans

Cons - will the squad gel quickly enough?

- are the squad good enough?  I dont know.

- is the squad good enough for the league?

- how strong is the league?

- Do we have enouigh creativity?   Is there enough cover for hoolahan?

- Have Team Gunn improved tactically?  Team choice and in match influencing of games was abysmal last seaon and needs a rapid improvement

Based on that  how can I predict confidently?   Somewhere between 3rd and 18th probably,   top  half is where I will stick my blind pin of a donkeys tail.

I would have said easily in the bottom half a month or so ago, but now I believe we have the quality and strength in depth to mount a serious promotion challenge so I will say at least top six. Depends on the tactical side of things (ie Gunn).

Oh dear! God bless the football fan but little wonder we remain ever let down.

Crikey how can you all scream top of the league already??!!!

12 signings, most of whom we -in honesty- know very little about

A league few of us understand or know that well

A massive over confidence in our team

A massive underconfidence in others

Can we not just give it ten games and then decide?? Yes...little signs to cheer the spirt and suggest all is well

But then I remember everyone claiming we were off to the Prem becase Lappin and Brellier had signed....

ThirdThere are one or two good teams in our division with match-winning players. To overtake them we would need to gel quickly and avoid long term injuries.Above all we would need to show greater consistency, and carry on trying to play football even when losing. We lack outstanding players, except perhaps Wes, so it has to be a complete team effort week after week.I am encouraged by our signings, and by the improvements of younger players, so there is all-round quality. I would be very disappointed if we did not reach at least the play-offs.

I have no idea, but I think on the next two Saturdays we will begin to know, as if it''s a full strength Wigan side, we''ll get some idea on how the defence and midfield will cope under attack and how, when we do get forward, Whaley, Holt, Hoolahan and whoever, are at creating and taking chances. Colchester will supply us with the challenge of a top half Div 1 team fresh from the break and will be the real benchmark. I would imagine after both games there will be plenty on this board indicating where our weaknesses are, still giving Gunn 3 weeks to fix it in terms of additional personnel.However, head says top 6 with a bit of luck, heart says better, but as my son said recently, "it''s so hard to be too optimistic when we''ve been there so many times recently and ended up bitterly disappointed"BWOD