Sign in to follow this  
Punting Canary

Gary Dougherty

I am sure that some will disagree with me and I don''t deny that he has been improved this season, from the very poor form he has showed previously, but does anyone else agree with me how much better we played when Clingan went to centre half for the 2nd half on Saturday.  Whilst I don''t advocate he plays there every week rather than in midfield but we looked much more composed and organised at the back even though we were down to 10 men.

I will be intrigued to see how we get on now Dougherty is out of the way for a couple of games.  The first half defending was horrendous, and whilst I don''t hold Dougherty completely to blame, I have seen so much of him over the last few seasons to know there is a common denominator in our defensive performances.  I don''t doubt his commitment or effort but he just isn''t very good.  He made very little ground up on Adebola (horrendously slow) on the run to the goal before bringing him down (it was a penalty), and never got close enough to Adebola at any point during the game.  He consistently has his arms all over the attacker, and in this day and age of set pieces contributing to so many goals, its a recipe for disaster, as he gives away too many free kicks.  The bigger thing though when comparing him and Clingan was the use of the ball from the back 4 in the second half.  His ability to play the ball out from the back was what enabled us to launch a number of attacks with only 10 men.  His pace also got him out of trouble where Dougherty would have floundered. 

We need Clingan too much in the middle of the park to move him back there full time but it does highlight how bad the defense looks.  Drury got skinned every time the winger went near him, Ostemobor seems to lazy to use the pace and ability he has going forward, and its hard to judge Grounds on what we have seen yet but with a decent centre half beside him there is definitely potential.  However if we keep defending how we did in the first half on Saturday we will get relegated.

Will be interesting to see how we get on without him over the next couple of games.

I''m constantly seeing posts referring to Doc as slow.

I just don''t see it. Every time I watch him he is more than a match for so called quick strikers (he matched Tyson for pace every time against Forest).

For the umpteenth time, DOHERTY is not the problem with our defence.

[quote user="Punting Canary"]

I am sure that some will disagree with me and I don''t deny that he has been improved this season, from the very poor form he has showed previously, but does anyone else agree with me how much better we played when Clingan went to centre half for the 2nd half on Saturday.  Whilst I don''t advocate he plays there every week rather than in midfield but we looked much more composed and organised at the back even though we were down to 10 men.

I will be intrigued to see how we get on now Dougherty is out of the way for a couple of games.  The first half defending was horrendous, and whilst I don''t hold Dougherty completely to blame, I have seen so much of him over the last few seasons to know there is a common denominator in our defensive performances.  I don''t doubt his commitment or effort but he just isn''t very good.  He made very little ground up on Adebola (horrendously slow) on the run to the goal before bringing him down (it was a penalty), and never got close enough to Adebola at any point during the game.  He consistently has his arms all over the attacker, and in this day and age of set pieces contributing to so many goals, its a recipe for disaster, as he gives away too many free kicks.  The bigger thing though when comparing him and Clingan was the use of the ball from the back 4 in the second half.  His ability to play the ball out from the back was what enabled us to launch a number of attacks with only 10 men.  His pace also got him out of trouble where Dougherty would have floundered. 

We need Clingan too much in the middle of the park to move him back there full time but it does highlight how bad the defense looks.  Drury got skinned every time the winger went near him, Ostemobor seems to lazy to use the pace and ability he has going forward, and its hard to judge Grounds on what we have seen yet but with a decent centre half beside him there is definitely potential.  However if we keep defending how we did in the first half on Saturday we will get relegated.

Will be interesting to see how we get on without him over the next couple of games.

[/quote]

i was hoping that he was going for ''Doh!erty''but just a genuine spelling mistake. oh well. :-)

You mean Doh(!)erty of course. He''s a bit like Marshall, capable of great blocks (or saves) but equally prone to calamitous errors. And, you''re right, he has no pace, can''t turn quickly, is very clumsy and has a frightening propensity to bear hug defenders in the penalty area from set pieces. Like most fans, I admire his commitment and his personality, I like him as a person, but I can''t help thinking that he is just too much of a liability. But then the problems quite simply is what choice do we have ? Without him we have no height or strength in defence. I was interested in your observations about Clingan and the performance of the team in the 2nd half because I think they are equally relevant to the way we performed the last time we were reduced to ten men in the first half of a match, Doh(!)erty being sent off at Forest.

The problems in the 2nd half (and first half) came when Drury came exposed one on one with a pacy winger.  Whilst I appreciate he is probably not fit the winger went past him time and time again as though he wasn''t there.  For all Bertrand might have his distribution faults he at least has a little more pace.  Other than that the 2nd half defensive display was better than the first.

Croft was by far and away the best player on the park.

The problems in the 2nd half (and first half) came when Drury came exposed one on one with a pacy winger.  Whilst I appreciate he is probably not fit the winger went past him time and time again as though he wasn''t there.  For all Bertrand might have his distribution faults he at least has a little more pace.  Other than that the 2nd half defensive display was better than the first.

Croft was by far and away the best player on the park.

[/quote]

Wasnt he exposed because of the wandering one footed minstrel?

City4eva is right, Drury was exposed as the new ''hero'' was never where he was supposed to be. But to get back to Doughety one has to ask why there wasn''t a defender on the bench, where was the new guy from Fulham?

DOUGHERTY?? WHO IS THAT????? HOW CAN YOU HAVE AN OPINION WHEN YOU DON''T EVEN KNOW THE BLOKES NAME.

***** MUPPET

HE''S OUR BEST DEFENDER BY FAR. GROUNDS IS THE DODGY ONE BUT HE''S YOUNG AND WILL MAKE MISTAKES. GET A GRIP!

The Doc has been our best player this season!

Hes been better than Stefanovic, Kennedy, Omorzussi, Grounds and any other CB this year!

To say it was his slowness that caused him to bring down Adebola is ludicrous!

Marshall put the 1st Norwich defender to get near Adebola in an impossible position and that happened to be the doc. Where was Grounds who I think is c*ap by the way?

The Doc got there 1st because he was far sharper than his fellow defenders notably Grounds!

I haven''t seen the replays of the incident but some are saying that the Doc got the ball first which would in reality make the challenge a very good one!

Lets hope hes cleared for our sakes cause the team will be far worse of without the Doc! 

It just shows what a sad state our team has got to when the Doc is considered our best defender!

Compared with some of our old centre backs he would not have made the first 25.

Not to blame for Saturdays fiasco only Marshall can take that honour. Seems if the Doc got to the ball first by all accounts so D''Urso added to the pain.

[quote user="coops"]

DOUGHERTY?? WHO IS THAT????? HOW CAN YOU HAVE AN OPINION WHEN YOU DON''T EVEN KNOW THE BLOKES NAME.

***** MUPPET

HE''S OUR BEST DEFENDER BY FAR. GROUNDS IS THE DODGY ONE BUT HE''S YOUNG AND WILL MAKE MISTAKES. GET A GRIP!

[/quote][IMG]http://maddox.xmission.com/keyboard4.jpg[/IMG]"That''s the distance you''d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like

an idiot."

[quote user="The Butler"]

It just shows what a sad state our team has got to when the Doc is considered our best defender!

Not to blame for Saturdays fiasco only Marshall can take that honour. Seems if the Doc got to the ball first by all accounts so D''Urso added to the pain.

[/quote]

Agree their has been much defenders than the Doc at the club in the past but I find all this slating Doc a load of bulls*it carried out by a load of sheep jumping on the bandwagon!

I''ll be the first to admit that Doc has had his shockers but then again so everyone. I think the ''Docs a donkey'' bandwagon startedd ewhen we were in the Premiership and we hadn''t signed no big striker and the Doc was put up front which isn''t his natural position!

The next season 05/06 the Doc deservedly won the Player of the season award which you don''t get if you are as cr*p as what some make him out to be!

Last season when Taylor returned to Brum the Doc was outstanding like he has been this season!

The good games far outweigh the bad ones!

£750,000 was money well spent and in his form this season you''d struggle to find a better CB at this level!

If only Doc had a Malky Mackay like presence in the oppositions box then he''d be almost complete!

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

And it shows what a sad state our team has got to when Clingan is considered our best midfielder and Cort is considered our best attacker. Compared with some of our old midfielders and attackers those two would have hardly made the first 75 let alone 25. However those three players give their all for the shirt so deserve our support.

Certainly not to blame for the pen. Grounds was virtually with Adebola when Marshall kicked the ball, shame he couldn''t have shown the same commitment that Doc did to try and cover for him.

I''m sure I remember a story that the Doc was first or second fastest in the squad over 100 metres a season or so ago. Was I dreaming or does anyone else remember this?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m sure I remember a story that the Doc was first or second fastest in the squad over 100 metres a season or so ago. Was I dreaming or does anyone else remember this?
[/quote]

I would think that''s right. You only have to watch the games to see how fast he is when he gets up a head of steam. He''s a big unit though and like many players of his build is a bit cumbersome on the turn and slow over the first few yards. He comfortably outpaced Grounds and Adebola leading up to the penalty!

The Doc is quite possibly the sexiest Norwich player around!Hes the Ginger Pele for Gods sake!Speed CheckAbility CheckPassion CheckGood Player CheckNuff said

Well he''s the most consistent defender out of the entire back four. Plastic - Not at his best, improved last couple of gamesSemmy - What has happened to him this season? Reluctant to run unless he actually has to. Can''t defend. If he''s not going to attack then he shouldn''t be in the team based on defence.Stefanovic - Injured.Grounds - Errors leading to goals. Southampton good example.I''m not gonner go through anymore.

Another anti-Doherty thread?  Are you kidding me?  This one has been 80% saying how great he is or making excuses for how bad he is because it is never his fault.  This conversation seems decidedly pro-Doherty to me.

Does ANYBODY spell their name Dougherty?  Is that even a last name?  If it is, is it the first spelling of the name that is pronouced that way?  Why would anyone assume his name must be spelled the most uncommonly awkward way it could be?  Oh never mind, I think I just answered myself.with the "uncommonly awkward" description. .

[/quote]

Doc made a grave error of judgement but that happens when defences are under the cosh as we were, it''s what pressure is all about, something usually gives. Without Doubt Deadly Doug Doughty Doherty is our best and most experienced defender but his biggest flaw is the lack of communication and leadership qualities. But the more pressing problem is our full backs who are shocking.

Yeah it makes me laugh when people say the Doc is slow, when he is actually really quick, I felt sorry for the guy when he got so much stick last year and Shackell didn''t get any, even though Shackell was one of the worst defenders we''ve had at Norwich in years. The Doc is a superb defender, and one of the best we''ve had in a while, defensively I think he is better than Malky, though Malky used to come up with important goals. Glad people are seeing how good the Doc is this year, and he is adding goals to his game as well, he will be an important defender for us over the next few years (hopefully) and I''d be gutted if he left us. And to the orignial poster, how has he been terrible over the last few years when he recently won player of the season????

[quote user="ellis206"]Yeah it makes me laugh when people say the Doc is slow, when he is actually really quick, I felt sorry for the guy when he got so much stick last year and Shackell didn''t get any, even though Shackell was one of the worst defenders we''ve had at Norwich in years. The Doc is a superb defender, and one of the best we''ve had in a while, defensively I think he is better than Malky, though Malky used to come up with important goals. Glad people are seeing how good the Doc is this year, and he is adding goals to his game as well, he will be an important defender for us over the next few years (hopefully) and I''d be gutted if he left us. And to the orignial poster, how has he been terrible over the last few years when he recently won player of the season????[/quote]Unfortunately for the Doc many fans (a few seasons back) decided he was no good and many now watch him waiting to see mistakes.  If you watch any player like that you will see mistakes.  What they never see though is the mistakes made by his fellow defenders and your example of Shackell is a good one.  Shackell seemed almost bullet-proof at times yet I can think of many examples last year when our back 4 pushed up for offside only for Shackell to play someone onside and instead of dealing with his mistake he stood there with his arm raised looking to the ref like a child looking to their mum for help.  Very few people mentioned that.The truth is we let in less goals on average when the Doc plays, despite this though he has had his card marked and will always be poor in some peoples eyes no matter what he does.  Saturday being the prime example.  Marshalls error, Doc gets the blame.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m sure I remember a story that the Doc was first or second fastest in the squad over 100 metres a season or so ago. Was I dreaming or does anyone else remember this?
[/quote]

Yes, but what''s he like over 10 metres from a standing start or on the turn as an attacker whips past him ?   Like I already said, no one can fault his commitment and the fact that he "bleeds yellow and green" (although some anti Norwich player zealots on here use this expression as a sneering criticism) but my concern over the Doc is that when he makes an error, like Marshall, it''s usually terminal although it has to be said that the goal on Saturday was not the Doc''s fault. I really like the Doc but I have to say that he makes me nervous when I watch him play and I wonder if he has the same effect on those around him.