Sign in to follow this  
Punting Canary

Gary Dougherty

Firstly my apologies with the miss spelling.  I do a lot of work with Nick Dougherty the golfer so the spelling unfortunatley came naturally to me when I think about it.

There are obviously people who rate him and others who don''t.  Either way it will be intriguing to see how the defense performs over the next couple of games without Doc being there.  With him missing it once again highlights how thin the squad is with Clingan likely to have to stand in again if we don''t make a further loan signing.  And even if we do, its a big ask to have someone come in and go straight into the team at centre half with someone they have never played with before.  Probably more than any other position centre halves have to know what the other is up to and play off them.

As a final note I don''t believe we will ever get higher than mid div in The Championship with players of Doc''s quality at the back.  And whilst he might be the 2nd quickest at the club over 100 metres its the first 10 that are the concern and the fact that he often is starting from the wrong position.  Not sure if OPTA do stats for The Championship but I would love to see how many free kicks he gives away compared to other centre halves.

When it comes to slating players this season, I think if your criticising the Doherty, you might just as well have a pop at all of them seeing as the squad consistent performances, bar Croft and Clingan, have all been well below that of the doc’s. 

Also this new wave of anti-ginger pele propaganda seems to have been stimulated by his sending off on Saturday. I thought at the time he played the ball first, replays have since confirmed this and the club has appealed so they must think it was a fair challenge. So where is the argument?

Doherty can have his share of the blame in some dodgy defending this season and I don''t think, no matter whether you are the "best" defender that a record of 12 goals conceded in the last 5 games is anything to be proud of. By all means I don''t attack him religiously like some of other players but the simple fact is, he is not good enough and never will be. On the same token we are told that half of our team are poor, it doesn''t help when our supposed "leader at the back" shows the leadership of pussycat and the intelligence of a block of wood. I think it was quite funny that last season and a bit of the season before that an almost 40 year old player, who had neither the fitness for a full 90 or the legs to run 10 yards look better than him.

If we end up playing the rest of the season with the Doc alongside Shackell we will be relegated.  Did the management not see how bad there were together when they played with each other previously.  They nearly got us relegated then, who on earth thinks they are going to tighten things up at the back now especially with a couple of out of form full backs beside them.  I am never usually this negative but the Shackell-Doc partnership will send us down.