Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

I don't really care any more........

I do still care (see the thread i started ''its ruining my weekend'')  but I have to admit as the optimism has gone when we lose it''s  not surprising and more a ''well I was expecting that'' feeling.  I suppose its hard to keep loving something when it only brings you pain and disappointment.  What really hurts at the moment is seeing all the frustration and pain the club is bringing to us all, thats not what Norwich City or Football should be about.

Also I totally understand the poster who said they dont react when friends mock him for us being so poor, now when people at work start mocking I just agree with them, there''s nothing to fight back about anymore!

Couldn''t even summon up the gumption to listen to matchday commentary this weekend.Roeder has no money to buy. His management is no worse than a lot of other championship managers who are around our position.I''m afraid he "can''t polish a turd".But, I am depressed. I may have to end it all and start supporting an egg-chasing team.God I am depressed!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Well I still do care! thats why I take the flack and crap daily on here, we must get Roeder out of our club first, at least I suppose, Delia cares in her own little way about City..........he doesn''t, he must go first![:@][/quote]

Stop living in dreamland Wizard. He hasn''t got a penny to spend, did a good job last season. But there''s no improvement because there''s no F***ing money.

[/quote]

What I dont get. Is that if Roeder hasn''t got the financial backing from the board to sign permanent players. Why hasn''t he come out and said that, or walked from the job. Surely nobody would just sit their and take all this stick like Roeder has. He seems a big enough character to stick up for himself. And for that reason, I will not just blame the board for Roeders failing this season.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Well I still do care! thats why I take the flack and crap daily on here, we must get Roeder out of our club first, at least I suppose, Delia cares in her own little way about City..........he doesn''t, he must go first![:@][/quote]

Stop living in dreamland Wizard. He hasn''t got a penny to spend, did a good job last season. But there''s no improvement because there''s no F***ing money.

[/quote]

What I dont get. Is that if Roeder hasn''t got the financial backing from the board to sign permanent players. Why hasn''t he come out and said that, or walked from the job. Surely nobody would just sit their and take all this stick like Roeder has. He seems a big enough character to stick up for himself. And for that reason, I will not just blame the board for Roeders failing this season.

[/quote]

He knows if he walks now he will have no credibility left & finding a new job will be next to impossible. Turning us around on the other hand may just land him another high profile job

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

A depressing thread, and some of the comments remind me of what I wrote about in this weeks Capital Canaries Column in the PinkUn - apologies for the self publicity – but here’s the link:-

http://www.pinkun.com/content/columns/CapitalCanaries.aspx.

[/quote]

Well said Tim. I know Tim personally through membership of Capital Canaries, and, at the risk of embarrassing him I know that he''s a level headed guy with a balanced  '' glass half full '' view of the trials and tribulations of supporting NCFC. I myself am much more in favour of the  '' glass half empty '' approach on the basis that I won''t feel so let down when things do go pear-shaped, because, as sure as night follows day, they inevitably will at some point.....

Like Tim I do care what happens to my football club but, as many supporters would agree, our patience has been sorely tested in recent times. By an accident of birth I have been fortunate enough to have seen all City''s years of top flight football. In fact, since 1967 I''ve seen more seasons of First Division/Premier League membership than any other so I suppose I have less to complain about than younger posters on here. That said I''m beginning to wonder if it''s worth beating myself up any more.....

I sit in the Jarrold Stand safely cocooned with others who are, generally, '' of a certain age''. Whilst some folk in the City Stand would lay claim to have been supporters before dinosaurs roamed the Earth we in the Jarrold also have a fair few years between us. The feeling of dis-illusionment, particularly last season and so far this, has been particularly noticeable. I will, as usual, be in my seat come 7.45pm on Tuesday in the full expectation that Wolves will leave Carrow Road with the three points. Perhaps my team will surprise me and '' do a Birmingham '' but I''ll not be holding my breath.

It wasn''t so long ago that I used to enjoy watching Norwich play. We didn''t always win - no team does that - but there used to be some excitement on offer. Most people lead pretty hum-drum lives during the working week and look forward to Saturday afternoons for a little escapism. We like near misses, goalmouth scrambles, 30 yard belters that knock out the poor unfortunate in Row Z almost as much as the goals themselves. There''s been precious little of any of this at Carrow Road for quite some time. No-one attempts to make a probing forward pass for fear of making a mistake, no-one seems to want the ball, and, as for actually calling the visiting goalkeeper into action.......well, why bother? The result being that the '' action '' on the pitch has become a sideshow and the highlights of the day are the pre-match drink and banter in the stand ( contrary to popular Barclay End opinion we''re not quite dead yet ). Even the post-match drink has become surreal in that the match itself is hardly discussed at all and might just as well not have taken place.

As I said earlier I''m very much of the '' glass half empty '' school but feel justified in my thinking when looking back at just two recent home games v QPR and Derby. Two miserable defeats against ten men the second of such ineptitude that we couldn''t even win a '' rigged '' match! ( allegedly ).

Just where do we go from here ? 

I agree entirely with the comments on this thread and in Tim''s article. I am a home and away season ticket holder, have not missed more than 3 or 4 games a season for the last few years and guess I would place myself in the same bracket as the fans Tim refers to as having attended around 1,500 games. I am not going on Tuesday because frankly I can''t be bothered. i used to hate missing games, now it does not bother me in the slightest. The only reason I still go to many games is just to meet up with my mates and have a few beers. if it was''t for that I probably would not bother.The current regime have killed off my love for the club. I hate seeing us lose to absolutely average teams on a weekly basis. I hate every depressing bit if spin that comes out of the club. There are very few players on our books that I like. I hate the loan player culture. But most of all I hate the fact that unless we get taken over nothing is going to change and I have had enough. If we have not been taken over by someone I will have to seriously consider whether I renew my season ticket next season. The only problem is hat its the loyal fans who won''t renew and the happy, clappy face paint brigade who are happy watching this cr*p will probably still go along every week!

Same here mate.that just about sums up what I think.....I go to all the home games and have done since the late 80,s but it,s more in hope now than expectation,I like some others on here could not be bothered to listen to the commentary yesterday as it,s nearly always the same, thats not to say i agree with some of the more vocal posters on here (you know who they are) because we are in difficult finacial times and clearly Delia has not got the money we need......it,s alright telling her to sell up but there has to be somebody to pay a REALISTIC price.....are they out there ?????? Don,t say Cullum because he,s not done a thing or said a thing (has anybody seen him interviewed on the subject) it would be soooo easy for him to do this and clear it up,I don,t like him because he has opened a can of worms with his alleged comments and then nothing!!!!!!!!!  something needs to be done very very soon,but will it?????????????????????????????????? 

No Quarter, thanks for starting off a great thread, a tad depressing perhaps but most thought provoking and in general not hijacked by those who just have to insult everyone.

I do care about the club. The trouble I find now is defining what we all mean by the club, and in my case how I see the club. What exactly am I supporting now? I think that maybe the case for many of us. Are we still hanging on out of habit, loyalty and many great memories? I could name the teams from the 70s, 80s etc, but in five years'' time will I be able to remember anything about the team of 2008? I doubt it very much.

It seems to me somewhere along the line we have lost not only the privileged or rightful (depending on your viewpoint) position we once held in the football world, we have lost so much more. First of all our style of football went out the window (it was rumoured to be returning but still not returned IMO). Then we lost the year on year batch of youngsters graduating from the Youth team/academy. We have had a few changes in personnel at board level over the years, but somehow (until recently) they were largely irrelvant, such was the focus on the pitch.

Did we care 20 years ago about the profits and losses in the accounts? I remember being devestated on losing in the FA semi finals, mention that to anyone under 18 and they stare at you as if you are insane. We don''t do cup runs anymore. We don''t do bringing on players from lower leagues to become heroes. We scarcely have any to sell now.

We are a makeshift short term outfit going to the dogs, quite frankly. There is really little to identify any of us to our club, except the badge, the kit, the colours and hankering back to the past. Who in the current team in all honesty do any of us really care about or identify with?

Like you Jim, I detest the loan culture, I hoped that this would mean at least we would be seeing some players we couldn''t afford to buy, but at least some with the skill both to entertain and hopefully win matches. Are we really any better off this season than last? No. These better than we could afford loan players have not served any real purpose, we are in the same position as last season, facing relegation. Bad luck or not, we have not achieved anything this season other than putting out a throughly confused and dysfunctional team who can''t score or defend well enough to compete.

The fans on this thread are not glory hunters, or those on a temporary fix fuelled by our recent promotion, they are all long term fans who have seen enough.

What the answer is I don''t know, I wish I did. I can''t give up going myself, but I do understand completely those who have.

I''ve just read my original post again, and yes, it is a bit depressing.  But it is purely indicative of how I and clearly many other City fans feel about the club at the moment.  Maybe it is because someof us over 25''s came from a more privileged era of watching the Canaries.  I just miss the excitement I used to feel watching my team.  I miss reading about a hot shot kid in the reserves banging on the first team door, and then actually seeing that kid make his first team debut (Eadie, Bellamy, Cureton, Johnson, Akinbiyi, O''Neill, Marshall etc).  The vocal support they would get was incredible.  I think that''s why a lot of people have rose tinted specs with Jamie (myself included) as he is from a good and exciting era at Carrow Road. I also miss Flecky, Chippy Crook, Malky, Iwan, Gunny nutting the cross bar and then pulling off world class saves, Bowen, Drinks, Ruel and Super Chris (and their goal celebrations) Disco the list goes on and on and on.  It was like your mates were out there playing.  They all had a character and a passion in them.  And for the most part they could do no wrong, and that is because you knew they cared, and always gave 100%.   I wouldn''t recognise 90% of our first team now if I passed them in the street.  I''m afraid my passion is virtually gone now.  The 2008 NCFC  is not the NCFC I fell in love with. 

*Sigh*........[:(] Yup, I admit that I really tend to look more forward to the beer, natter - and an occasional good moan topped with a good guffaw after the games with my mates....Sadly, it''s like being someone off to do a days work in a job that doesn''t uplift them or give them a sense of reward. But, the pay cheque is worth the torment......just about.

It is now really difficult for me personally, to generate some enthusiasm and motivation on a match-day....I really think it''s because I''ve become a creature of habit, maybe it''s the ageing process? (still in my forties) or, is it just because I might just miss out on a rare performance like the Brum game? I think the moral of the club, the playing squad - and most of all the support has hit an all time low.

I''m seriously considering relinquishing my season ticket that I''ve held for many a year, and instead, just applying for a membership for next season and therefore picking and choosing the games I wish to attend. I don''t travel away as much as I used to and I really sympathise and applaud those die-hards that do......

I''ll be there on Tuesday as per normal........but, only because.....well......actually, I don''t really know? [:^)]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Wouldn''t you miss the special atmosphere of the Cathedral Lounge Mello or are the biscuits not as good as they were prior to the spending cuts?[/quote]

I haven''t had a biscuit and a brew for quite a few seasons now Gazza.....I just stand in front of my seat at half-time.....In a distant trance -till the resident (and on my row) fleshy alarm clock, who is the ''Mr Bigfoot Claude Hopper'' aka ''The Oafman'' who without fail stands on my toes, then nudges me with his portly belly - whilst passing me to return to his seat, and then watching him plonk his gargantuan ar$e into his long suffering plastic pew - and watching his buttocks spill either side of his seat......Nice bloke though, and always shares his sweeties...[:D]

no quarter im the same age as you mate i 100% agree with you .

well written ,well said.

my grandfather walked to the ground from lakenham at 92,

he went to every home game for 50 years when you get people saying ..oh they are trying dont blame roeder... it stinks.

delia should sell up and go now.. nothing personel .

if someone can defend a manager whos brought in a whole new team and isnt any better than the last lot , he aint no good is he>>!!!!!!

come on mr cullum get your cheque book out ...

Some of the points here are relevant to the game as a whole...no teams seem to bring through their own youngsters anymore to any great effect.

The game has lost its characters and money and self-promotion/image is the only driving force for most clubs and players!

In a lot of ways i do hope the credit problems of the world give us back the game we used to enjoy!

Interesting thread.  Having stayed down in Bristol this weekend I have had plenty of time to reflect on the whole mess. 

I agree with most of what has been written here and having been to all but one game this season (Plymouth) I have really had enough and will be missing a whole load of aways before christmas (unlike me as those that know me will agree), as I just cant face being depressed every week by our so called team.

The thing that still amazes me more than anything though is the level of support we are still getting.  At Bristol I was expecting to almost have the away end to myself, with the distance involved and our current form.  I dont think our board feel that we have a problem with the level of support that we are getting!  Fair play to those that travelled for that!

Good thread, some of the posts really resonate with me, Jim Smith- spot on fella! gazza- as always articulate and thoughtful and NQ- your comments on some of the characters over the years who meant so much to us are so accurate.

I still "care" but my flame of passion for the club is flickering and while not extinguished, certainly shines less brightly. I gave up my season ticket last year, I now live in Hampshire and I find I find it hard to get much motivation to drive 4 hours to Norwich and 4 hours back for a home game. If I''m out I no longer desperately scour around for a TV to get the latest score, I''ll turn on Sky or teletext at some time to find out what happened but it no longer drives me like it used to. Now when we lose I shrug my shoulders, when we win I might see a faceless loanee scoring a goal, I see us tootling along at page 2 on the teletxt league table and my thoughts turn to those memories of how it used to be so different. I don''t buy the season reviews any more, they mostly sat on a shelf and gathered dust and I stopped my susbcription to the pink''un by post a few years back.

How did it get to this? Am I now what I used to decry, a fair weather supporter? I think not but I don''t identify with the team so much now, I do get a buzz of excitement when I walk down Riverside with the hordes of yellow and green, but its an infrequent self indulgence for me now. There are no heroes running out onto the hallowed turf any longer.

And its a Monday morning. Hope the week gets better.........................

I didnt actually care whatsoever on Saturday because I knew that we''d lose and that Roeder would say ''we didnt to lose''. I''m getting to the point where I dont even like wearing City shirts! I always wear my San Jose, Spain or England shirts- hardly ever Norwich. It just feels wrong wearing them.

im also starting to lose the passion. i used to get nervous with anticipation every saturday morning before a game but now that emotion has gone. we used to lose and i couldnt face going out on a saturday night because i would be in a foul mood, but now it hurts to say it but i just seem to accept it without to much bother. football has never just been a game to me it has always been my life but with the events of the last two years with norwich and to some extent england football just hasnt been the same. On the plus side my missus is absolutley delighted that football has taken a back seat and i regulary find my self  trawling through the bargain bin at debenhams on a sat afternoon with her. ffs norwich look what your doing to me aarrgghhh............................

I totally agree.  My group of season ticket holders all feeel the same, its a socila occassion for us now and we barely discuss the possible team etc, because its not our team, its being played out of position constantly, and we cannot understand where the hell the money has gone.So assuming we get stuffed by those brum b**** tommorrow, when do the protests start?  Before anyone gives the usual drivelling saucer of milk response ''what good will it do/whats your alternative'' - the point is that WE MUST make the boards lives so bloody difficult now that they bust themselves to get the hell out or find someone who can take the club forward.  No pressure is simply not an option anymore.

[quote user="No Quarter"]

I have supported NCFC for 29 years (I''m 33 by the way), I''ve seen us win Milk Cup, dominate the majority of the old first division and then Premier League, beat Vitesse Arnhem, Bayern Munich and narrowly lose to Inter Milan.  I stood in the old Barclay with my mates, witnessing us beat Liverpool, Man U etc.  I got spat on and subsequently beaten up at Wolves away in the play offs.  But, hey, we won.  I was at Watford away with champagne when we got promoted.  After all these major events in NCFC''s history (not to mention my own) I can honestly now say that my20 year old love affair with MY club is coming to a close.  I just cannot bear to watch the drivel now being served up (no pun intended) at Carrow Road.  The current board, players and even manager, are dragging the beloved name of MY team through the mud.  We were once respected, now we are a joke. I''ve said it before, now I''ll say it again (as grossly sickly and over the top as it might sound) THIS IS MY CLUB, MY DADS CLUB, MY GRANDADS CLUB, and it''s now ruined by bad management, bad financial outlays and general poor running. GIVE ME MY CLUB BACK. PLEASE. I''m sure this sentiment is shared by many others.

[/quote]

Lack of passion is the key phrase here..........I''m starting to lose the will to turn on the radio now, I spent this Saturday milling around the city shopping with the family...........I actually enjoyed it more than listening to City!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I do care about the club. The trouble I find now is defining what we all mean by the club, and in my case how I see the club. What exactly am I supporting now? I think that maybe the case for many of us. Are we still hanging on out of habit, loyalty and many great memories? I could name the teams from the 70s, 80s etc, but in five years'' time will I be able to remember anything about the team of 2008? [/quote]

This is a fantastic thread with so many people (from all spectrums of support) worryingly summing up my own feelings about the club at present.  I too can go back beyond the heady days of Europe, FA Cup Semi-Finals and a Milk Cup win.  I still get a tingle when I think of running across the pitch at Watford back in 1972 when we got promoted for the first time to the old First Division.  Nowadays we are just sunk in a mediocrity of players that don''t really care who they''re playing for as long as they get paid every week.  Like Gazza I can name teams from the 70''s, 80''s and even the 60''s but naming a team from the last 3 years is almost impossibler for me (and that''s nothing to do with age!).  I now view matches as a social event and have far more satisfaction in my two pints of Wherry before the game than the game itself.  A win is a bonus and not now an expectation, even at home.  Whatever happened to Fortress Carrow Road?  I gave up listening to the radio commentaries yonks ago because Roy Waller got on my wick so much with all his platitudes.  I know the commentary team has changed but the inevitability of an away defeat makes it pointless tuning in.  If I renew my season ticket next year I will have had a season ticket for 30 years.  Somehow, I doubt that that will happen if things don''t change for the better sooner rather than later.  At least all I have to do is cancel my direct debit.  At present this is getting to be like deja vu or groundhog day in comparison to last season - slipping into the botton three at the start of November is a clear possibility so how far have we come since we got shot of the useless Grant?  Not very far at all.  Like so many have said on here before.....let''s be havin'' you Delia and give us our club back....if you can''t do it then it''s time to be serious about finding someone else to re-ignite the passion.  If things remain unchanged then you will see your season ticket figures drop significantly next season and you will lose many of those that you once regarded as ''the best fans in the world''.

I stopped worrying about attending the macthes a few seasons back, I never really recovered from being at the Fulham game tbh.Now I have my whole Saturday to spend time with my girlfriend, play a few videogames, get some university work done and generally just chill out and relax.Whether I have a good or a bad Saturday no longer relies on 11 uninspiring wage-grabbing nobodies half-heartedly kicking a ball around on a football pitch for 90mins.And for that, I am eternally grateful.

I wish the powers that be in the game as a whole could read all this...it''s not just the club we are falling out of love with but the game as a whole. Too much money has destroyed it!

It''s meant to be a team game but players only seem interested in themselves.

One thing I forgot to say above is an obvious point but that football generally is so different these days. To some change will be good, it may bring in new audiences and a diferent fan demographic. To others its bad. I guess its like anything which goes through phases and attracts a different market. Until recently football was an important embedded part of society- those of us who went to school in Norwich supported Norwich. Simple as that. We had a small clutch from time to time of exotic imports but also a good smattering of local lads, heavens I remember when Martin Peters arrived and was seen as a god like figure to be venerated. there were relatively few arrivals and departures, the squad had a stability. Now the team is full of will o''the wisps, it seems like just a group of chaps in yellow and green running round at our stadium. To those who get into it now, that is normality and those are the people who will take on the supporting tradition in the future I suppose. Makes it hard though for those of us who fell in love with something else.

An interesting thread and thanks to all who contributed.

I mentioned in my article in the PinkUn this week that I had received a sponsor’s invite for the Wolves game on Tuesday night. I am to be a guest of NCFC Director Michael Foulger, as are a few other Norwich City Fans.

As far as I am aware it is not a group of “Super-Fans”, as it could hardly be called that if it contained likes of me, just a group who have either been nominated by fellow supporters or the club – to be honest I’m not really sure. I think I was put forward as I organise the home travel for the Capital Canaries, and I get my mad ramblings published in the PinkUn when no-one else from the Caps fancies writing.

Hopefully there will be some discussion and debate between the supporters and NCFC directors about the state of the Club, and we can get our concerns aired in a constructive manner, so they can understand how the supporters feel, and the genuine worry that we all have for the health of our football club as shown in this thread.

Perhaps this is a naïve point of view, but I am hopeful that our opinions will be heard and maybe taken on board.

Hopefully it will be a good evening for all, and after many years of confusion, I’ll get to find out how the Man of the Match is chosen. If it is really picked using Guinevere and set of balls no.6, I’ll let you know.

spot on thread. its becoming to much like hard work supporting city, and, not that i would ever support another team,  but im begining to lose interest. we should have reward for our contiued support, especially you lot who travel the length of the country to watch this endless stream of dissappointment. we all come on here and rightly express our opinions but at the end of the day its up to the players, management and board and they are all, in my eyes, letting us down in a huge way, the most important people in football...the fans. i love my team and have for twenty years. i cried when we lost to brum in the playoffs and shed a tear we went up. norwich city means that much to me and is a huge part of my life. but now i feel, like the original poster...lost and massively let down. the one thing cheering me up in football at the moment? hull city.