Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Interview with Darren Huckerby

As many of us suspected, Hucks does read these boards - confirmed by the man himself.  Seems like a great opportunity to say the THANK YOU and GOOD LUCK that Roeder and the board stopped us from offering him in person - why could they have not brought this forward a week?  Whether you''re in favour of the decision or not, the timing is appalling and it can''t help but leave a sour taste in Hucks'' mouth after 5 brilliant years of service.  It''s easy to forget what a great transfer coup it was at the time.

I''m absolutley gutted for bloke. You can see just how much it meant to him playin for this club and i feel something really needs to be done so that we can say thanks to him. I''m blaming the board more than roeder over the timing of it all. They knew just how much hucks meant to us probably a lot more than roeder did so they really shud of made sure we knew wot woz goin on before the sheff weds game. Gonna be a long while i reckon before we find a player that generates such a ''buzz'' everytime they pick up the ball.

Legend, as well as a top bloke and its truly sad he never got his proper send off, but what was he referring to about Boxing Day?

[quote user="BIC"]Legend, as well as a top bloke and its truly sad he never got his proper send off, but what was he referring to about Boxing Day?
[/quote]

The "On the first day of Christmas" chant that was basically all that was sung against Nottingham Forest on the Boxing Day he signed.

Ah, course. I was thinking he was planning to be in the ground or something

If you''re reading this Hucks...

Thankyou for all of the entertaining quality football, commitment and loyalty over the last few years, and although these words are used too often, you really are an absolute legend of this club, good luck in the future, and I''m sure we all hope to see you in the stands in a couple of years when you return as a fan!

P.S. My brother offered you a place in his Saturday league team outside the Jarrold stand before the QPR game, the offer still stands if you fancy a game?!

All the best.

Thanks Hucks

The best player we''ve had in the last 10 years, i hope Glen knows what he''s missing.

Hucks feel free to post on your favourite messageboard...!

[quote user="suffolk canary"]As many of us suspected, Hucks does read these boards - confirmed by the man himself.  Seems like a great opportunity to say the THANK YOU and GOOD LUCK that Roeder and the board stopped us from offering him in person - why could they have not brought this forward a week?  Whether you''re in favour of the decision or not, the timing is appalling and it can''t help but leave a sour taste in Hucks'' mouth after 5 brilliant years of service.  It''s easy to forget what a great transfer coup it was at the time.[/quote]

I guess he could start posting now too [Y]

Disgusted with the way this has been handled and that we haven''t been able to say a proper farewell to the best player i''ve personally watched in a Norwich shirt. Travelled to Sheffield and was delighted with the reception for Dion but it''s such a shame Huckerby couldn''t get the same as we were unsure if he was staying or leaving. Same happened with Malky, the club needs to respect these players who give their all for our club and the fans who wish to show their thanks and even though we got to say farewell to Iwan they also treated him poorly by not even replying to him when he applied for the managers job until 2 weeks after Grant had been appointed.

Thanks for the memories Hucks, you could''ve given so many more.

Thanks Hucks.  You''ve been one of the only lights in our darkness since we left the Premier League in 1994.  I have the most fantastic memories of you skinning defences.  That left wing just isn''t going to be the same!

Darren Huckerby has been the finest player seen at Carrow Road since Martin Peters in my humble opinion!

All the best for the future Darren you will be sorely missed! This is a very sad day for All Huckerby fans. [:''(] Good luck finding a Club that will reflect your desire for the game.

I only wished we knew at the QPR game. We all wondered but we were kept in the dark. That man deserved a proper send off but he was denied by the suits in the office. Darren, it is a shame they felt the need to deny you a decent send off after all you have done for us. I think Glenn Roeder has dropped a clanger and time will tell I suppose. Good luck Hux. At least my missus might look at my arse now instead.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

He looked in shock to me.

I can only apologise to him for the the low behaviour of the manager and board.

[/quote]

He looked distant. His speech contained very long gaps indicating to me that it was playing on his mind alot. 

It feels so premature to release him now.

I don''t blame Roeder for releasing him to free up wages etc although Darren was more than worthy of his money and I wouldn''t have complained at him signing on for another season. Its a shame we didn''t get to say goodbye at Hillsborough and, like many others here, feel alittle disappointed at the manager/board for not allows us to do so.

Anyway we could convince the board to let Hucks come back for the first home game next season to say goodbye properly? Surely they could at least allow that.

hucks you are a legend....the best player norwich had had in the last 20 years (if not ever).

web team. request: dig out the footage of hucks being unveilled on boxing day, 

good luck & goodbye hucks

(i will retire my username as a mark of respect).

We should appreciate what the lads done for the club, he''s been a city legend,

we were lucky to have such a player and should have known it wouldn''t last forever

don''t blame roeder i''m sure he''s doing whats right (in his opinion) but we need at least 2 new wingers to replace such a guy

good luck hucks ;)

[quote user="GREEN ARMY"]

We should appreciate what the lads done for the club, he''s been a city legend,

we were lucky to have such a player and should have known it wouldn''t last forever

don''t blame roeder i''m sure he''s doing whats right (in his opinion) but we need at least 2 new wingers to replace such a guy

good luck hucks ;)

[/quote]

I do blame Roeder for not telling us before the last game.

Sad to see Hucks leaving, particularly in the manner that he is leaving. Not a lot of loyalty in football these days and I think the club could have handled his departure much better. Hucks is a top bloke and I wish him all the best for the future. This decision could backfire on GR big time.

When I heard you read the messageboards Darren I had to make an account to give you the farewell you deserve.

When I sat in front of the computer at college this morning and opened up the PinkUn site to see the ''Huckerby among nine players realeased'' headline, my heart sank, never have I witnessed a feeling like that for something many people would deem irrelevant to my life, but it shows how sorely you will be missed. I only managed to see you play for one whole season as I myself spend my Saturday afternoon''s playing football, but your displays in that season made it clear to me why you are regarded as a legend at Carrow Road. Sitting in the Snake Pit counting down from ''12 Huckerby''s...'' will live long in the memory.

Thank you for everything you have given to the club, on behalf of the thousands of people that don''t use these messageboards we wish we could have given you the goodbye you deserve, I look forward to cheering your name once again at Fortress Carrow Road, where I hope you will be sitting among your many admirers.

All the best to you and your family.

Hucks was the most exciting player I have seen at Carrow Road in the last 35 years I have been going.  What a crying shame that his departure has been handled in such a shite way.  My 3 lads (aged 7,10 and 12) are gutted they won''t see you in a Norwich shirt again.

Best of luck Hucks with whatever you do next.

Thanks for the memories Hucks, of what you could do on a pitch to win us games, and also what you said off it. It''s all turned out to be true. This club which you helped take to the Premiership is now a sad shadow of it''s former self.

The way your exit has been handled bodes ill for the future and I hope that one day you will return so we can all express our gratitude.

One of the greatest I have ever seen and a favourite. Good luck Hucks and enjoy playing for the rest of your career.

I hope he reads the board and realises that a large majority of us are really sad to see him go and not happy that he couldn''t have had a decent send off like Dion had.He is the most exciting thing to happen to the club for years and will always be remembered for that, a legend up there with the Norwich city greats. Thanks and good luck.

Good Luck Hucks without a doubt the best player we''ve had for the las t10 years maybe more!!  My mate texted me the news this morning and i was so pi$$ed off!!Personally i wont be going to the Greatest Ever Event at Carrow Rd as i think it''s a terrible way to honour our greatest 11 but something tells me you''ll be in that team and be the most popular player there on the day!!I would kill to see you play one last time for City.  You may think kill is extreme but i know an Ipswich fan very well so it really wont be an issue!!Hucks you are a legend good bye and good luck hope to see you back at the club in some capacity in the future.

As you are a reader of our Forum Darren, you will be obviously aware that this managers views on yourself are his alone and not ours.

WE are Norwich City not HIM, therefore you will now realise how much we think of you. Yes this is the feeling you must take away with you and not the bitterness you must be harbouring of the treatment by this  manager.

So sorry for the way it has all been done, good luck in the future mate.

I have read all posts on this subject today and i think its fair to summise the vast majority feel Hucks still has something left to give. Nonetheless roeder is in the best position to judge this and has to live and die by the sword.

Where everyone has hit the nail on the head is the whole send off issue. Surely this could have been wrapped up in advance of Sundays game. I have supported Norwich for 30 plus years and for me Hucks is up there with the best of them. He came here for less than he could have had elsewhere. He has stayed here despite better offers over the years. He has kept his mouth shut [well mostly] when times got bad, and most importantly he has been a true legend. My kids have signed photos, he always helps out with the youth side of things when asked etc etc.  All of this and the the club cannot even manage a proper send off ... not good enough really is it !!

I will always remember Hucks The Legend !!

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

As you are a reader of our Forum Darren, you will be obviously aware that this managers views on yourself are his alone and not ours.

WE are Norwich City not HIM, therefore you will now realise how much we think of you. Yes this is the feeling you must take away with you and not the bitterness you must be harbouring of the treatment by this  manager.

So sorry for the way it has all been done, good luck in the future mate.

[/quote]

I''m sorry but Hux has been very unaffective for the last few seasons. He not a championship player any more so should be released without any doubt. Hes a disruptive member of the dressing room and players will not come to NCFC while he is there.

As for passion and feelings for our club...look at his revent performance against ipswich - more passion in my little toe!! Hes picked up his massive wages every week and has done very little to merit it .Time to move on and replace him.

And if Hux is our ''best ever'' player, as some have said, it doesn''t say very much for our club!!

I''m devestated, broken-hearted and total despair! Actually, none of these words can sum up how low i am feeling. My hero ever since i saw him play for Forest as a neutral fan. Couldn''t believe it when Worthy pulled him out of the bag. I hope we see you again soon Darren, You are truley a great man and have been virtually unstoppable 99% of the matches i have seen you play.

I Would like to take this opportunity to wish you ALL the success and luck a fantastic man, servant and player deserves!