Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hopkins

Roeders post match comments on Cureton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7298099.stm

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder:
"I think that was a result waiting to happen.

"This was just one of those days when everything seemed to go right for us. You don''t often get that in football and when it does happen you have got to enjoy it."

Of hat-trick scorer Jamie Cureton, he said: "Jamie has done what he is paid for and has done more than enough to deserve his wages.

"But he''s also missed a few recently as well - and if he fails to convert in front of an open goal then I''m going to criticise him."

So...what do people think of this? Not really the most constructive of comments if you ask me.

Sour.

Probably Jamie gets more attention than Glenn when they walk down the road.

I notice that he selected him yesterday though - and kept him on the whole match.

Not sure Jamie will be here next season.

OTBC

But it''s true, he''s been awful most of the season and has missed sitter after sitter consistently. One hat trick against a team bottom of the league team does not change that. As glenn said, well done today, but let''s not go over the top, he still owes us a lot more.

I think it''s fair for the manager to say, yes he scored a hat-trick but look at the last few games, the sitters he miss was just terrible...I think GR just do not want Curo to get carried away -- we are not save yet!

Veteran manager always do that I think...;-)

I think it''s praise where praise is due. Roeder doesn''t appear to be like Grant. He ranted at everything the players didn''t do. Also, it would appear that the criticism in Jamies'' case, has worked a treat. He has been quiet about a lot of the players I feel. Maybe he has a good handle on what gets peoples'' arses into gear? All I can say is that I posted a really negative comment on his appointment (Roeders'') and I am eating my words. Let''s face it, no one he''s brought in has been here for the ride. I like that. Granted, it''s all loan stuff, but don''t panic! I sent a letter (recorded delivery) to a feller I know of who owns a software company. I said he needs to broaden his horizons and embrace football (the real version). Me and Bill Gates, we go way back! :P

[quote user="Steve Hopkins"]

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder: "I think that was a result waiting to happen.

"This was just one of those days when everything seemed to go right for us. You don''t often get that in football and when it does happen you have got to enjoy it."

Of hat-trick scorer Jamie Cureton, he said: "Jamie has done what he is paid for and has done more than enough to deserve his wages.

"But he''s also missed a few recently as well - and if he fails to convert in front of an open goal then I''m going to criticise him."

So...what do people think of this? Not really the most constructive of comments if you ask me.

[/quote]Keeps the pressure on Cureton, who did miss a couple of really good chances today as well as putting three away.  I don''t have an issue with it, Cureton looks like he can cope with the challenge of proving himself.

Think JC should be given a bit more slack,at the end of the day hes the only one scoring on a regular basis.No doubt Glen will now drop him?

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder: "I think that was a result waiting to happen.

[/quote]I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.

[quote user="XXL16"]

I think it''s fair for the manager to say, yes he scored a hat-trick but look at the last few games, the sitters he miss was just terrible...I think GR just do not want Curo to get carried away -- we are not save yet!

[/quote]In the same way the apalling buffoon Grant did.  Crap managers critisize after good performances.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.[/quote]Why??  He is a lower division finisher who''s heart bleeds yellow and green who is desperate to score at all times....  Do you think Jamie misses them on purpose?  Is he not giving his all to the cause?? He has always missed chances, at all his clubs - every striker does, even the likes of Michael Owen!!!Why critisize?  What is the point, it aint gonna make him more likely to score, and in Grunt''s stupid whining case caused Jamie top go on a 10 game non scoring run.  That may have had something to do with Grunt''s team and management skills too.

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder:
"I think that was a result waiting to happen.

[/quote]

Spot on, accurate comment as far as I am concerned, well done Roeder, don''t see any reason he needed to be any more generous with his comments

i just wish people would lay off jamie. how many times have we asked for a striker who can score goals and here we have have one who has scored 14 goals this season in a bad team but still gets criticised week after week. yes he misses chances but at least he is getting in positions to score them unlike the majority of  his teammates. keep up the good work jamie and hopefully next year you''ll still be banging in the goals for our team

OTBC

jaime jamie jamie jamie jamie jamie jamie cureton................................. You stay hear boyo.... your needed next season!!!!

Dont listen to all these nasty people..... they are the devil!!!!

ON THE BALL CITY.............

Its a bit weird, sounded as though Glenn wants an excuse to have a go at him. Having a go at players in the changing rooms is one thing, in the press is another.

[quote user="Messiah"]I think it''s praise where praise is due. Roeder doesn''t appear to be like Grant. He ranted at everything the players didn''t do. Also, it would appear that the criticism in Jamies'' case, has worked a treat. He has been quiet about a lot of the players I feel. Maybe he has a good handle on what gets peoples'' arses into gear?

All I can say is that I posted a really negative comment on his appointment (Roeders'') and I am eating my words. Let''s face it, no one he''s brought in has been here for the ride. I like that. Granted, it''s all loan stuff, but don''t panic! I sent a letter (recorded delivery) to a feller I know of who owns a software company. I said he needs to broaden his horizons and embrace football (the real version). Me and Bill Gates, we go way back! :P
[/quote]

Really?

I''d say that messrs Gibbs and Henry have been here for the ride cause they have contributed bugger all to the cause and are plainly not good enough at this moment in time!

Yes we were playing a ColU side now almost certainties for relegation and very poor defensively but I think its no coincidence we played with our best 11 meaning no Gibbs and Pearce relegated to the bench, that definately helped!

People keep on about the sitters Jamie Curetons missed and I''d agree theres been a few but not that many cause we don''t actually create that many ''sitters'' and strikers much better than Cureton miss chances!

A great deal of Curetons goals have come form penalties and half chances that hes had the ability to put in the net!

Curetons 14 goals are at 6-12 short of what we''d of expected but in a season where we looked like relegation certainties until October and we are a team that puts little pressure on the oppositions 6 yard areas, 14 goals with the likelyhood of more isn''t a failure by any means!

His goal tally looks good beside the £2M hotshots we bid for in the summer and would of had if they had wanted to come here - Sharp - 3 or 4 goals and Eastwood - I think about 5 at the most!

This reminds me of last season when a few of the ''must moan about something'' brigade insisted that Earnshaw missed to many chances yet his goal tally for last season was 19 goals in just over half a season and his total career goals for City is something like 27 goals in 41 apps! 

To be honest I''d of seriously considered dropping Cureton for yesterdays game but fair play to Roeder for not!

I''d be very surprised and dissapointed if Cureton isn''t at the club next season! 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="UEA Canary"]I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.[/quote]Why??  He is a lower division finisher who''s heart bleeds yellow and green who is desperate to score at all times....  Do you think Jamie misses them on purpose?  Is he not giving his all to the cause?? He has always missed chances, at all his clubs - every striker does, even the likes of Michael Owen!!!Why critisize?  What is the point, it aint gonna make him more likely to score, and in Grunt''s stupid whining case caused Jamie top go on a 10 game non scoring run.  That may have had something to do with Grunt''s team and management skills too.[/quote]He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.

It is all to easy to criticise, reminds me of the Ewan baters a little bit, sure Jamie has missed a few. In my opinion it was always going to be very difficult this year for our Jamie, there was no chance of him emulating last years tally, and he season has been a success, and yes, you, boneheads, he has kept us in this division. Marching on together ...........................................

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="XXL16"]

[/quote]
In the same way the apalling buffoon Grant did.  Crap managers critisize after good performances.
[/quote]

Didn''t sound like criticism to me, in fact it sounded like well done, fantastic, keep it up and don''t get complacent.  A sentiment I echo...

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="UEA Canary"]

I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.
[/quote]

Why??  He is a lower division finisher who''s heart bleeds yellow and green who is desperate to score at all times....  Do you think Jamie misses them on purpose?  Is he not giving his all to the cause?? He has always missed chances, at all his clubs - every striker does, even the likes of Michael Owen!!!

Why critisize?  What is the point, it aint gonna make him more likely to score, and in Grunt''s stupid whining case caused Jamie top go on a 10 game non scoring run.  That may have had something to do with Grunt''s team and management skills too.
[/quote]

He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.
[/quote]

Dont pretend to know what jamie is on. He took less to join us than was offered by Hull and is on less than Strihavka was on and earns not much more than Chris Martin. He is one of the few players in this squad thats has earnt his money this year, if you want to have a pop at a city players wages then you should be looking at Brellier who was on a fucking fortune which i know as factual, or even hucks who earns twice the normal rate for a first team player. Jamie has done a great job this year where no other striker has and without his 14 goals we would be relegated by now, good job son, i think he will get 25 next year. His scoring record is better than Evans, Brown, Jarvis, Martin, Strihavka and Dublin.

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="UEA Canary"]

I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.
[/quote]

Why??  He is a lower division finisher who''s heart bleeds yellow and green who is desperate to score at all times....  Do you think Jamie misses them on purpose?  Is he not giving his all to the cause?? He has always missed chances, at all his clubs - every striker does, even the likes of Michael Owen!!!

Why critisize?  What is the point, it aint gonna make him more likely to score, and in Grunt''s stupid whining case caused Jamie top go on a 10 game non scoring run.  That may have had something to do with Grunt''s team and management skills too.
[/quote]

He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.
[/quote]

That''s a ridiculus way to spell ridickulous - although I don''t wish to ridicule you......

This is some of the mistakes i have referred to with Roeder, why not just let the players enjoy a good win, praise them, without the buts, he has to remind everyone his is the guvnor at evey opportunity.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="UEA Canary"]I think it''s exactly spot on, while Jamie did his job yesterday and deserves his praise, there have been alot of games where he has missed absolute sitters from 6 yards and then in that case deserves criticism.[/quote]Why??  He is a lower division finisher who''s heart bleeds yellow and green who is desperate to score at all times....  Do you think Jamie misses them on purpose?  Is he not giving his all to the cause?? He has always missed chances, at all his clubs - every striker does, even the likes of Michael Owen!!!Why critisize?  What is the point, it aint gonna make him more likely to score, and in Grunt''s stupid whining case caused Jamie top go on a 10 game non scoring run.  That may have had something to do with Grunt''s team and management skills too.[/quote]He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.[/quote]

That''s a ridiculus way to spell ridickulous - although I don''t wish to ridicule you......

[/quote]

Dyslexia at it finest, you would thought after years of tutoring I''d be getting better at it [:P]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.[/quote]its one thing you critisizing him, its another when its his boss, publically.  What a needless dig after the guy has got a hat trick against one of his former clubs.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="UEA Canary"]He gets paid a ridiculus amount and when he misses from 6 yards, I''ll criticise him all I want.[/quote]its one thing you critisizing him, its another when its his boss, publically.  What a needless dig after the guy has got a hat trick against one of his former clubs.[/quote]I don''t think he had a dig at him, he''s merely keeping Jamie on his toes and the rest of the team as well, I suspect he''s worried about a second relapse in form and doesn''t want anyone in the team to get carried away with the win.I personally stand by the current hard to please attitude, the hat-trick is great and well done to Jamie, but its only one game.Same again next week please Jamie [;)]

haha... chill out all, jamies a big boy, he knows roeder just wants to keep getting the best out of him

[quote user="UEA Canary"]I don''t think he had a dig at him, he''s merely keeping Jamie on his toes and the rest of the team as well, I suspect he''s worried about a second relapse in form and doesn''t want anyone in the team to get carried away with the win.I personally stand by the current hard to please attitude, the hat-trick is great and well done to Jamie, but its only one game.Same again next week please Jamie [;)] [/quote]I dunno, if you can''t be pleased by a hat trick and 6 goals in 7 games then maybe he is in the wrong job.At least it wasn''t a Grant style ignorant critism by a jerk.

But it''s true, he''s been awful most of the season and has missed sitter after sitter consistently. One hat trick against a team bottom of the league team does not change that. As glenn said, well done today, but let''s not go over the top, he still owes us a lot more.

Er, so where exactly would we be now WITHOUT the 14 goals he''s scored?