Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

What does Roeder see in Fotheringham?

I''m sorry but I just cannot get excited about Fotheringham as in my opinion he had yet another poor game tonight.  I''m not sure why he is captain, and what does Roeder see in him.  His distribution was woeful tonight, he dwelt on the ball too long, and often played suicide passes to his own players.  He did redeem himself briefly with a couple of shots that went close, but overall he didn''t inspire the rest of his team.  I hope he is just going through a bad patch, but only time will tell.

Dublin seems to be playing every game now so he would be my choice as captain, followed closely by Russell.

[quote user="silver fox"]

I''m sorry but I just cannot get excited about Fotheringham as in my opinion he had yet another poor game tonight.  I''m not sure why he is captain, and what does Roeder see in him.  His distribution was woeful tonight, he dwelt on the ball too long, and often played suicide passes to his own players.  He did redeem himself briefly with a couple of shots that went close, but overall he didn''t inspire the rest of his team.  I hope he is just going through a bad patch, but only time will tell.

Dublin seems to be playing every game now so he would be my choice as captain, followed closely by Russell.

[/quote]

Just goes to show how we all see a game differently because I thought he had a very good game.

I would imagine that 13 games unbeaten since he came back into the team is a pretty clear indication of what Roeder and his staff see in Fozzy.....

Think you might get a few replies to this one...Fozzy didn''t have a great game last night, but he was still at the heart of almost all our best moments, especially in the last 15-20 minutes. He is the best passer of a ball that we have at the club at the moment; what you see as dwelling on the ball too long I see as giving a more measured approach to our passing, rather than the frenetic pace we have when Russell and Pattison are together in the middle. He also gets stuck in. He''s a really good Championship midfielder.He returned to the side just after Roeder''s appointment. I think he''s probably the most influential player in our unbeaten run. I''m not saying he''s a great player - if he were he''d be playing in the Premier League - but I can certainly see what Roeder sees in him.

My opinion of Fozzy has changed compleatly. He has the potential to be an NCFC legend as his ability on his day matches his obvious enthusiasm and affection that he feels for the club. Some nice skills last night especially the stepover that bamboolzed the Hull defence. Very Okachaesque.

How good was Okacha, very impressed with his ability levels - class is permanent

Fotheringham isn''t at the top of his game at the moment, but when he manages to get his passes right then he''ll be there. he shew some more progress last night by running at defenders and skinning them and went close in the second half with his shot hitting the roof of the net.

what im not sure about is him being captain, he does shout and earge the players on more than shackell but im not sure he is a real leader, he does urge them on but im not sure the take it in 100%. let us no your thoughts

Fozzy is a very good player. The reason some of his passes may go wrong sometimes is the fact that he is the only player who always wants to keep it on the floor.

Fozzy is really good, i don''t know why people don''t see it, he nearly scored twice, he put a nice low ball across in the first 5 mins, he is a good captain,one thing people moan about is him passing back, he cant pass forward when there is no one to pass too can he?

[quote user="YellowIce"]Fozzy is a very good player. The reason some of his passes may go wrong sometimes is the fact that he is the only player who always wants to keep it on the floor.[/quote]May I add? The reason some of his passes may go wrong sometimes is the fact that he is the only player who wants to keep it on the floor and take the risks required to get goals.People who say he shouldn''t be played because of him loosing the ball need to have a reality check. He looses the ball less than other players and has his hand in the larger part of our posession meaning he is on the ball for longer.It was this kind of attitude that left our players playing hot-potato for the last coupld of seasons, no one wanted the ball and no one would take risks either.

I dont question what Roeder does anymore, the last 13 games have shown me I dont need to worry.  I like fozzy, I think he is a different type of midfielder to what we''ve had in recent years.  He makes mistakes but he is going to, he''s a championship player afterall.  What I like about him is his desire to get back on the ball even if he lost it last time or the game isn''t going well.  He isnt afraid of making mistakes and trying the difficult pass.  He makes an excellent captain in my opinion.

I have to disagree regarding fozzy, I think he had a good game last night. 

What some see as ''dwelling'' on the ball I think I class as composure, of which we''d been lacking in midfield for some time! I think he can sometimes appear to have a quiet game because he simply makes simple passes to keep the ball moving to retain possession, but again, that''s exactly what we''ve been needing for ages. Generally he does this as well as driving the team forward and passing accurately with clear intent, and I thought that in the main he did that again last night.

[quote user="Duffman"]I dont question what Roeder does anymore, the last 13 games have shown me I dont need to worry. 

I like fozzy, I think he is a different type of midfielder to what we''ve had in recent years.  He makes mistakes but he is going to, he''s a championship player afterall.  What I like about him is his desire to get back on the ball even if he lost it last time or the game isn''t going well.  He isnt afraid of making mistakes and trying the difficult pass.  He makes an excellent captain in my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree with this opinion totally, Fozzy makes an excellent captain and plays better these days.

Dwelling on the ball is when someone stands with it for too long and has it whipped off their toes - eg Etuhu...

I agree with the person who said Fozzy has good composure, he knows when to run and when to pass, I said in another thread i regard him as, Tehcnically, Our best player... when he''s out we miss him and it shows..

he didnt have a good game last night agreed. but i bet you he will be top 3 in the player of the year votes!

jas :)

He''s good at times but he gives the ball away far to much for my liking, Russell is just as bad although he''s worth a place in the team for his work ethic alone and the less said about Pattison the better, his dead ball delivery is atrocious at times and the amount of times he puts a 5 yard pass out of play is laughable, looked half decent when he was on loan but now he has a contract looks poor. If we are to challenge next year we will need to sign a quality midfielder who doesn''t give the ball away with such alarming regularity.

I just wonder if this goes back to the threads about sideways passes and not getting it forward quick enough. Fozzys play is quality because he realises, unlike some of the fans at carrow road, that an aimless hoof into the box isnt going to bring anything, its better to recycle the ball, keep it and build an attack, then pick our moment to play the killer pass. look back at the grant days of long balls upto cureton..

[/quote]

I completely agree silverfox, I never rated him under Grant and i stil don''t. He is a one touch get rid of the ball passer and he gives it away far too much. He improved in the second half yesterday but in the first half he was awful, why he is captain?? who knows, but for me he isn''t a leader, russell and dublin are, so i agree there as well.

[/quote]

Wait and see what happens if he doesnt play Silver. He is the only player we have who can dictate play and move the ball from mid field. Players like him often get stick because people only see the occasional bad passes and dont remeber the good stuff, he also had some terrific shots last night which is an added bonus. I have seen him come on as a sub and completely change the game,I suspect he is not consistent enough to be a Prem player at the moment but in the Champioship there are few better in his role IMO.

[quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]I just wonder if this goes back to the threads about sideways passes and not getting it forward quick enough. Fozzys play is quality because he realises, unlike some of the fans at carrow road, that an aimless hoof into the box isnt going to bring anything, its better to recycle the ball, keep it and build an attack, then pick our moment to play the killer pass. look back at the grant days of long balls upto cureton..[/quote]

Exactly!!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Dwelling on the ball is when someone stands with it for too long and has it whipped off their toes - eg Etuhu...

I agree with the person who said Fozzy has good composure, he knows when to run and when to pass, I said in another thread i regard him as, Tehcnically, Our best player... when he''s out we miss him and it shows..

he didnt have a good game last night agreed. but i bet you he will be top 3 in the player of the year votes!

[/quote]

He came off injured at Southampton after 23 minutes and we didn''t miss him at all. He had a shocker at Cardiff as well.

Fotheringham is an average Championship midfielder, and very overrated in my opinion, especially on this forum... 

[quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

He came off injured at Southampton after 23 minutes and we didn''t miss him at all. He had a shocker at Cardiff as well.

Fotheringham is an average Championship midfielder, and very overrated in my opinion, especially on this forum... 

[/quote]You''re overrated. Make sense of that =]

I too did not think that he had a brilliant game, but he is so infectious with his play and running etc. What does annoy me is his sometimes bad back passes to the keeper and the defence.

How were we playing last night in the 2nd half? Because when Hucks game on after Patty had, Fozzy was drifting on the left a hell of a lot and Patty was coming in, the back 4 seemed to split in to a bit of a three and we pushed further upfield. Very positive move by GR I thought. Getting back to Fozzy, he does seem to push us forward when we need to.

[quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

funny how since he''s come back from inury and been made captain we have gone on an unbeaten run isnt it?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Surrey yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

funny how since he''s come back from inury and been made captain we have gone on an unbeaten run isnt it?

[/quote]

You cant deny the stats.