Sign in to follow this  
DanielHammond

Chris Brown

I wondered when grant would get it together and actually see that chris brown just isnt good enough for this football club. I will give him credit because he chases balls and never seems to give up. BUT he never wins balls in the air and that is the thing we need most! David strahvika (i know its the wrong spelling) comes on wins the first ball which comes to him and scores with a header.....Why didnt grant play him from the start of the season? Oh well.....AT LEAST WE WON FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Pete Stringfella"]So................it was all Chris Brown''s fault then.........Genius![/quote]So he is untouchable is he,were you even there.My dog would have had a better game than him .He is just not good enough,how he managed to fire over from 4 yards is beyond me

[quote user="lobster catcher"][,how he managed to fire over from 4 yards is beyond me[/quote]

Was clearly taking lessons from cureton who also failed to hit the target with from some excellent positions.  Neither Brown nor cureton looked like scoring but at least brown did the team bit and delivered what the manager asked - a focal point, winning headers and bringing others into the game.

If strikers are not scoring or dont look like doing so then they need to be doing something else - Brown did, cureton didnt.

Certain strikers are acknowledged as having the ability or instinct to be in the right place at the right time....I''d place Cureton in that category. Brown, despite his work-rate and efforts always seems to be in the wrong place.

PG has acknowledged that English strikers carry a premium and are expensive - a quote which emphasises puts into context the 250-350K fee we spent on him.

I want him to succeed - we need him to after all - but if you pay peanuts....

I respect Chris Brown for his effort but unfortunately he doesn''t look good enough.

He doesn''t win enough and his anticipation is dire always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Its unfair to compare him with Cureton casue Curetons an instintive, in the right place  prolific goalscorer who cause of his height isn''t going to win very much.

You have to ask why Sunderland sold him to us for peanuts in the first place!

Cureton is a poacher and will get the goals that do his job - and he chased around as well, so sorry but your argument is based on the assumption that they do the same jobs on the pitch becuase they are ''up front''.

I just thank god that people can finally shut the hell up about Chris Brown doing ok and being given a chance - Strihavka proved in thirty minutes why he should play - he has a footballing brain, gets into  positions and can actually dribble, pass and move at pace - he makes Brown look like a penguin.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="lobster catcher"][,how he managed to fire over from 4 yards is beyond me[/quote]

Was clearly taking lessons from cureton who also failed to hit the target with from some excellent positions.  Neither Brown nor cureton looked like scoring but at least brown did the team bit and delivered what the manager asked - a focal point, winning headers and bringing others into the game.

If strikers are not scoring or dont look like doing so then they need to be doing something else - Brown did, cureton didnt.

[/quote]

Alas it has to be said that Brown was aweful Saturday - and as much as I want him to do well Curo had a bad day at the office as well.   Perhaps it''s time to try the strike partnership of Straganoff and Martin?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

maybe Chris Brown''s inability to shoot is rubbing off on Cureton?  Brown is crap, its no wondera Hull friend of mine couldnt understand why we were signing him after his less than impressive loan spell at the KC stadium.

Brown is a forward player who does not threaten the goal in any way, his headers go nowhere and his first touch is poor.  How many chances has he setup for Cureton this season??  Is this really Jamie''s fault??  His work rate is good, but so was Andy Hooze''s.  He fails to get in thr right areas to get chances, and when he does get a chance he invariable misses the target, scooping over from 4 yards out Saturday.

Also Brown scores, on average, 4 goals a season at this level.   When you don''t have many goal getters across midfield, you cannot afford to have such an ineffective player up front. We could have picked up Jon Parkin for 275K, he would have battered, won headers and scored a few. Offload Brown at the end of the season.

I''m on record on here as not wanting Brown at the club, even before we signed him...........and I see no reason whatsoever to change my stance on that at all!.[:(]

[quote user="Pete Stringfella"]So................it was all Chris Brown''s fault then.........Genius![/quote]

It''s not ALL his fault no, but he''s played every game this seaason and not scored. Strahavka comes on for half an hour and puts a header away in a one nil win. Brown does some good stuff but his main job is scoring which he can''t do, so to that extent it is his fault.

Brown is suffering from the Heskey dilemma... good player, works hard, just hasn''t got the finishing touch. With someone more creative in midfield you''ll find he''s more effective in setting up Cureton, but I''d bank on Strihavka getting better and better and being the first choice in the long run.What isn''t fair is this ''Brown is crap'' nonsense, and just because he didn''t play well on Saturday doesn''t mean he can''t win headers - he''s one of the most effective winners of the ball in the air since Iwan. Unfortunately that''s mostly with his back to goal, but his play is very constructive in general.Anyway - stop whingeing and cut him some slack. Grant has bought all these players to offer him alternatives. The sooner the more myopic of you see that he is creating a squad that can give him different options, the better. Somehow most of you don''t want to give him that chance though.

[quote user="broadie"]Brown is suffering from the Heskey dilemma... good player, works hard, just hasn''t got the finishing touch. With someone more creative in midfield you''ll find he''s more effective in setting up Cureton, but I''d bank on Strihavka getting better and better and being the first choice in the long run.What isn''t fair is this ''Brown is crap'' nonsense, and just because he didn''t play well on Saturday doesn''t mean he can''t win headers - he''s one of the most effective winners of the ball in the air since Iwan. Unfortunately that''s mostly with his back to goal, but his play is very constructive in general.Anyway - stop whingeing and cut him some slack. Grant has bought all these players to offer him alternatives. The sooner the more myopic of you see that he is creating a squad that can give him different options, the better. Somehow most of you don''t want to give him that chance though.[/quote]1. What a loada tosh. Brown has no skill and couldn''t hit a cow backside with a banjo. 2. One of the best since iwan... I guess brown''s better than Ashton, Crouch, Svensson, McKenzie, Dublin, Dave..... and brown can''t pass or flick on for nothing.3. Brown can be in our squad, infact i''d like him in my squad, but not to ever play, that''s why we have cureton, martin and dave for us....

He seems to give 100% He''s not a goalscorer, he''s and old school work horse that puts his head in where it hurts.

But the way he''s playing at the moment he should play reserves for a while instead of Dave and get a bit of confidence.

At the moment "He Couldn''t Hit Water If He Fell Out Of A Boat!"  will be my Biography of his time at Norwich.

1. You''re so blinded by your own opinion you didn''t even read what I wrote. 2. I said Brown was one of the most effective winners of the ball in the air since Iwan, not the best - but  much better at that particular skill (did I say any other skill? No.) than pretty much all of those you mention apart from Dion.3. Have you actually been to any Norwich games?  Up until Saturday, Brown''s passing has been pretty effective. Any look at the papers or comments by fans at the start of the season would have found most people agreeing.4. No one''s saying he''s a world beater. I don''t even think he should be first choice, but his style of play will have its place in the long road ahead this season, just like Heskey''s will do for England. But he''s not as crap as you make out. Like I said, Grant is building a squad which requires different talents for different games. You are clearly one of the myopic ''fans'' who can''t see that.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]I''m on record on here as not wanting Brown at the club, even before we signed him...........and I see no reason whatsoever to change my stance on that at all!.[:(][/quote]

Yes, Wiz, but that doesn''t really just apply to Brown, does it... some

people on here didn''t want ANY of Grant''s signings at this club, nor

Worthy''s before him.  The fact that some of them have failed tends

to be down to the "throw enough sh*t" tactics, rather than judgement...

Agree that Brown is actually pretty good at winning the ball in the air with his back to goal, 30 yards out. His distribution having done that is OK if he plays the way he faces (was a bit poor by his standard on saturday) BUT when he gets in the box or faces goal it is another story, does not seem to have the skills of anticipation, movement and finishing, and so will  never score too many.  Was delighted to see Dave the Stricker display some finishing accumen, and for the first time I can remember in ages Grant got both Dave and Jamie to run the channels in the last ten, which really helped us close out.  I daresay a hybrid brown-dave genetic clone would be the best bet.  Anyway, for me should be Jamie + Dublin upfront, the most obvious natural partnership at the club.

Brown works his socks off, but just isn''t effective. He reminds me of Paul Dalglish. His heart is in the right place, but too often his feet are not.If Brown was one of the players who had come through our youth system, Grant would be looking to loan him out to a lower league side.  Just as he did with Jarvis. But as he paid for him, he somehow feels compelled to stick him in the team.

I can certainly remember people not wanting Lappin and Otsemobor before they came. They said exactly the same kind of things about them as they said about Brown (based on being cheap).Bu anyway the nostrodamuses are all notable by their absense from the place that real forsight would be useful - the free bet threads!

[quote user="broadie"]

1. You''re so blinded by your own opinion you didn''t even read what I wrote. 2. I said Brown was one of the most effective winners of the ball in the air since Iwan, not the best - but  much better at that particular skill (did I say any other skill? No.) than pretty much all of those you mention apart from Dion.3. Have you actually been to any Norwich games?  Up until Saturday, Brown''s passing has been pretty effective. Any look at the papers or comments by fans at the start of the season would have found most people agreeing.4. No one''s saying he''s a world beater. I don''t even think he should be first choice, but his style of play will have its place in the long road ahead this season, just like Heskey''s will do for England. But he''s not as crap as you make out. Like I said, Grant is building a squad which requires different talents for different games. You are clearly one of the myopic ''fans'' who can''t see that.[/quote]I supported brown after a good game against soton, but he has been awful since then. To claim he is better in the air than Ashton and Crouch, too england internationals, 1 of them our first choice target man is a load of tosh. His passing is fair at best, too often his passing is behind players or not dynamic enough to create chances themselves. A proper target man can get ball to feet in seconds, it takes brown 4 or 5 touches and then it''s behind him and even if it is good it''s far to slow and thus it doesn''t matter if it''s good as it''ll be easily dealt with. I never said brown shouldn''t be in the squad but why should he ever have a place in the team when we have two players who are in the same mould as him who are better, that makes no sence!

How anyone can justify having a centre forward who can''t score is beyond me.Good in the air,nice touches,tries hard but can''t score what a load of rubbish some people post.I agree with supporting players and not getting on thier backs too soon,but lets be honest if brown plays well all season but only scores 2 goals we are going to be relagated.Dave the cheque looked 100% better than brown and he only played 30 mins.Imho he has to start ahead of brown any day of the week

agreed lobster Catcher! its like having a goalie who cant dive... he might be able to kick far, command his area and jump but if he cant dive whats the point.

jas :)

Having Brown in th team would be OK if everyone else was scoring but they aren''t and we are not currently good enough to carry a non-scoring (but a hardworking team player).

Sadly, I also feel we have already seen the best of Cureton too! For the up coming away games I would go for Strihavka & Hux up front with Lappin & Croft wide and Brellier and Russell in the middle.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

For the up coming away games I would go for Strihavka & Hux up front with Lappin & Croft wide and Brellier and Russell in the middle.

[/quote]

So would I![Y]

I think it''s probably time for a Dave the Striker and Cureton partnership up front with Brown on the bench.

Talk of getting rid of Brown is nonsense though. If we''re 1-0 up with twenty minutes to go and under the cosh he''s the ideal striker to bring on to relieve some of the pressure and hold the ball up.

The people who are saying "I told you he was crap when we signed him" are missing the point somewhat. If you slag of every one of our signings as too cheap/old/unambtious/Scottish, you''re bound to be right eventually!