Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Harris

How did you end up supporting Norwich?

I was wondering if people remember the time they realised that Norwich were the team for them.I was about 10 at the time and had been to see my local team, Cambridge United quite a few times. even at that age I realised that they just weren''t good enough to keep me interested. I wanted to support a team that was near enough for me to go and watch and was good enough to enusure some excitement every now and again. My family wasn''t really into football so there were no historical family teams to follow. Both my brothers supported Leeds (nuff said!) so I plumped for Norwich, following them through thick and thin. My first game was a 3-0 win over Stoke. I loved the atmostphere at Carrow road and always have since. (except for the game where the Man U fans ripped the roof off what is now the barclay end)I hope this is the start of a family tradition as I have tried to indoctrinate my children into believing that all that is green and yellow is good

I have always loved football but neither of my parents did. Therefore the only person I could talk to about football was my Grandad who lived in Norwich. I always made sure holidays were taken in Norwich when there was a game I wanted to watch. I might live about 200 miles away but am ensuring my 2 boys and nephew are brought up the right way. They are yellow n green too!!!!

My dad started to take me to FCR IN 1984. I had to stand on a milk crate in the river end & I''ve ben hooked ever since. When I was at school it seemed the only choice you had was to support Norwich or be a glory hunting Liverpool fan. These days all you see kids wearing is Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal shirts. IT MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!

my first game was play off final in 2002 (i think) when i was 10 years old (im 15 now).  I had completely hated football up until then but i was convinced by relatives to go to Cardiff. Ive been hooked ever since [:D] I have bought 5 shirts, the digital phone one, the two flybe ones, the home shirt of the promotion season and the green away lotus cars one. Obsession in its clearest form i think you''ll find [:)]

Born and bred in norwich, and as soon as i took an interest in footie when i was a nipper it had to be norwich. As to why you see kids here in norfolk wearing man u, chelsea, arsenal and liverpool shirts well thats easy. All kids like teams at the top of the league, and cup winners etc. If they support anyone else they get teased and called losers, and  some kids  can''t take being teased. So you get alot of kids supporting which ever team is doing well. Thats my opinion anyway.

My dad took me to Carrow Road in 1986.  I have never supported another team.

I did try once to really take an interest in Tottenham, watching all their televised games, keeping an eye on all the news stories etc.  It didn''t work, my heart just wasn''t in it.  It is true what they say, once a team is in your heart you just can''t change.

And there really isn''t any substitute for seeing your team live....

I watched the 1985 Milk Cup final on the TV and then from that day said that I wanted to be a Norwich Fan, have had yellow and green blood from that day forward, standing in the old barclay at the back for the sutton united game and going to all the home legs of the european dream, now have a Norwich tatoo and a season ticket in the jarrold so looks like I am stuck forever.

I was brought up in Cyprus, so didn''t really have a team to follow. My father was a Plymouth supporter, and tried to get me interested in them but I wasn''t having any of it when Liverpool were the only British team on Cypriot TV. I moved to Portsmouth area when I was 16 and used to go and watch them, but never really felt like I could fit in with the Pompey masses, so was more of a football follower rather than supporter. Same thing at Uni in Swansea. Used to go and watch footy at the Vetch Field but being an Englishman in Wales I was never going to be a Swansea supporter. Got my first job after Uni in Yarmouth in 1989, and started going to watch the Yellows. I''d say it took another couple of years before I could consider myself to be a true supporter. Followed the Canaries ever since and now I follow everything with avid interest, and have had a season ticket for the last 6 or 7 years.

Sometimes I feel too emotionally involved, when they win I am in a good mood for days, lose and I''m like a bear with a sore head, and often stay grumpy for the next few days. I listened to the Rochdale debarcle on the Internet Radio at work (on a ship) and by god my heart was pounding. 

It''s great being a Norwich supporter. Generally really nice atmosphere at the ground and decent people, and there''s always the anticipation and hope we can do that little bit better.

Location, family, since birth - no choice;   you choose your friends but you cant chose your family - in that respect city are family.

I do take an interest in other clubs,  Man U last season,  Arsenal,  Forest under clough, Spurs with Klinsman/Gazza, Newcastle under Keegan,  AC Milan & Barca over the years when the play the type foootball I enjoy.

I agree with you jimmy500 about the live bit;   no football coverage on TV grabs,  rarely even citys.   The coverage, telly angles etc is poor, not allowing you to see anything except what the producer wants you to see, not showing the organisation and movement off the ball, and the uniformally trite and biased commentary and lack of atmosphere make live TV football dull and insipid for me.  Perhaps I just like to get too involved in my football? 

The summarisers are one dimensional, follow the accepted ''norm'' and add no new information to the supporter - Lineker and Wright on Hargreaves and Sven/England respectively in recent years show just how far out the media and ''experts'' are from separating truth from fiction. 

Rant over - soz all

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

These days all you see kids wearing is Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal shirts. IT MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!just to say tht dont make you a fan, i have loads of shirts  and wear them in publicbut anyway my grandad took me 10 years ago in october

[/quote]

Taken to Carrow Road by my Uncle Des in 1964 (when I was 9) - a 2-0 win for City against Leyton Orient (43rd anniversary of that event this very month).  We stood in the old South Stand but after that I migrated to the Barclay and haven''t looked back since.  Supporting any other team has never been an option (this also applies to my children!!!).

Born in Canada to a NCFC supporting Dad, growing up on a diet of summertime ''soccer'' and ice hockey. On a Xmas trip to UK saw my first live game the 1987-8 New Years Day 4-1 win over West Ham United. Then moved to New Zealand and had to follow NCFC via re-runs of Saint and Greavsey for three years. Before finally moving to the UK. Now catch as many games as I can from London.

My first game was a 1-1 draw against QPR I think in 1996 or 1997. I didn''t go immediately to most games after that but I generally started going to most games in the 1998/99 season (season when bristol city had ade akinbiyi) and remember a bellamy hat trick against QPR where I got my programme signed by him and when we played bristol city and akinbiyi scored against us, but we still won. I remember Adams scoring. After that I was a norwich fan for life. I also have a soft spot for Arsenal, my mums from north london and likes them and they play nice football.

The first socer game I ever see was Norwich-qpr.

I was 4 years. I disidet to suport Norwich in that game and have done so ever after,

Im Norwegan an all my frends are Man U, Liverpool ore Arsenal suporters, but when you start suporting a team you dont change!!!!! Norwich for ever.

Neither of my parents were big on football so I got all my football instincts from my grandad. He was a norwich supporter so I followed what he did.  First game was against Crystal Palace, cant remember the year but I think we drew 3-3. Probably early 90''s and then I remember watching us draw 1-1 with Everton at home, Peter Beardsley scored for Everton.

When I got a bit older all my mates supported Chelsea/Man U/Arsenal so I did try and change my team, I tried to convince myself I was a blackburn supporter (they had just won the league) but I was soon back into the yellow and green stuff, lasted about a week I think.

I now have a 2 year old son and he will be raised the correct way, all of my other halfs family are hardcore Man U fans and they claim that they convert everyone that comes into contact with their family. They didnt get me and they wont be getting my son, I will bribe him with the offer of going to watch a real match instead of following a team through TV.

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

My dad started to take me to FCR IN 1984. I had to stand on a milk crate in the river end & I''ve ben hooked ever since. When I was at school it seemed the only choice you had was to support Norwich or be a glory hunting Liverpool fan. These days all you see kids wearing is Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal shirts. IT MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!

Mine is exactly the same as legend of Huckerby, but two years later. Dad took me and a milk crate to stand in the River End to watch an enthralling 0-0 draw with Luton and I was hooked!

[/quote]

i got into football through mates at Primary school.. trhe first teams i became aware of were Spurs (glory hunters all supported them as they had just won the FA cup) and Wet sham, as i saw them on Tv....

My first game was a Rumbelows cup game in 1991 and i must confess i was a little naive boy who was supporting west ham!!!!

However my dad took me again a few weeks later when we beat Villa 2-1 and i was instantly hooked and havent looked back since!

jas :)

My parents werent big on footy really, and neither was I, altho I did collect the old Panini soccer albums.  I always liked Norwich''s kit and badge so for no good reason just followed them - on teletext!  As I got into my teens I followed them and football more, and got the chance to see them at the Dell in 1992ish - we lost 3 nil!  I was hooked.  I went on an open day visit to UEA and went to Carrow Road whilst up there to purchase my ''Bowen'' flecky shirt! 

I made sure I ended up at UEA and have been here ever since!

In the early eighties I used to go to the ground with my stepfather who worked at Boulton & Paul: there were big metal gates in the River End (where the family section is now) and they''d open them up to let the kids in free at half-time.  Saw Norwich play Sunderland a couple of weeks before the milk cup final - think it was 0-0 on the day.  It was, worryingly, a long long time ago!

Similar to Legend of Huckerby, spent most of my Saturday afternoons as an 8 year old in the River End, that would have been 1980-ish. My first game was the 5-3 Liverpool game, quite an opener.  I always wondered what happened to my milk crate.

I can always remember wondering why on earth other kids at school all supported Liverpool, was taken to Carra Rud a few times in the early/mid 70s by my Dad and was hooked. In fact I think I really became totally hooked after going to Wembley to see us lose to Villa (scum[:)]) in the league cup final.  

Almost the same as McDs perm. Was taken to CR in early 70s by my dad and saw both league final losses before our final triumph much later on. Most of my mates at school weren''t into football at all, except one girl who was from an Ipswich supporting family (?). She supported Norwich which was bizarre when I come to think of it now. As Mac''s Perm says, most other support was for Liverpool at the time.

There could never be another team. Watching or following a team via TV is not the same thing. You are not involved with the club or fellow fans. Whatever the state of football at CR I will always support them so I guess that makes me a sheep eh Cluck?

Same with my kids, both taken to CR early on - they were both teased at school for supporting their local team, but at least they got to see some football, unlike their gloryhunting Man U pals. Highs and lows are all part of supporting your team.

I was never really into football until I was eleven and a lot of the boys at school were excited about Norwich being in the cup semi-final against Sunderland in 1992. My Dad is a life long Pompey fan as he comes from down there and they were playing Liverpool in the other semi. I decided that I would cheer on Norwichin their game and Pompey in the other one. The next year I found making friends at high school was easier if you talked about football , and Norwich were enjoying our best ever season, being top of the league for most of it. When I was asked what I wanted for my birthday I said I''d like to go and watch Norwich play so my first game at FCR was against Villa in March of ''93 when John Polston scored and we went top. My dad took me to lots of games the following season, including all the home european ties and despite being a Pompey fan he still would come along to matches with me and cheer on the mighty yellows with gusto right up until he moved back down south a ew years ago. I''m still in Norwich have my season ticket in Block E  of the Barclay and couldn''t stop going now if I tried!P.S. If I ever have kids there''s only gonna be one team they support.. no matter where I''m living! If my dad had those thoughts I would be a Pompey fan now......

Through my dad, first game was 1980 against Liverpool and we lost 3-5, got to see fashanus goal and was in the south stand paddock down the front, alot of the kids at the time supported Liverpool, but I kne that if I kept supporting Norwich I would be able to go to every home game.  Hooked ever since................

How did I end up supporting Norwich?[:|]

A total nervous wreck, agitated, miserable, impatient, flippant, short tempered, irate, disillusioned, cynical, skint, obnoxious, rude, sarcastic, aggressive, anti-social, binge drinker, pie scoffer, angry, bald-ish, fat...ish, ignorant, abusive and generally downright horrible. (and I''m only 9!).......

You don''t want to end up like me supporting Norwich..........Give it up. NOW![:S]