Sign in to follow this  
Herbert

big issues in little midfield - offer in for Etuhu

a premiership club put an offer in for Etuhu last week...so looks like he is on his way next week

[quote user="Herbert"]a premiership club put an offer in for Etuhu last week...so looks like he is on his way next week
[/quote]

If we sell Etuhu you might see me protesting with ''The Smudge'' this season!

I for one will be upset to see him go,

and I myself have never really been a fan of him,

If this release clause crap is true, then the board are a bigger bunch of idiots than I thought!

[quote user="AJ"]I for one will be upset to see him go, and I myself have never really been a fan of him,If this release clause crap is true, then the board are a bigger bunch of idiots than I thought![/quote]Right...So you''re not a fan - but you''ll be sorry to see him leave? Surely a contradiction in terms???As for more release clause waffle, so what if it is true? Etuhu spent most of last season being slated by the majority of fans who at one point would have PAID another club to take him off us, and now suddenly a possible £1.5 million move is idiotic???IF the clause IS there, and IF we sell for £1.5 million, I''d see this as a good piece of business, a player who cost us £450,000 going for £1 mil more than we paid, who has admittedly has potential but has not yet demonstrated consistency at any of his clubs - and you think this is idiotic???Hmmmm....

No worries. Anyone who saw the Doc''s commanding presence at St James Park yesterday can have little doubt of our midfield strength in depth.One powerful surging run late in the second half brought the City half of the crowd to their feet - sadly the opposite for the Doc who promptly fell over after going past three or four Exeter players, I think it was one of them putting in a tackle that caused the downfall. A truly bizzare selection.

I see. Buy him for £450''000, sell him for over a £1 Million profit.

This for a player who was roundly criticised by many fans last season who wanted him anywhere but in the team, a player who has a good game every now and again (vs Chelsea yes, at places like Burnley, not so effective) for us?

I guess the "release fee" is just another stick to beat the Board with though, isn''t it? Am assuming now if we sold Andy Hughes because he had a "release fee" in his contract for £1.5 Million you''d all be slagging the club off over that, wouldn''t you?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

This for a player who was roundly criticised by many fans last season who wanted him anywhere but in the team, a player who has a good game every now and again (vs Chelsea yes, at places like Burnley, not so effective) for us?

I guess the "release fee" is just another stick to beat the Board with though, isn''t it? Am assuming now if we sold Andy Hughes because he had a "release fee" in his contract for £1.5 Million you''d all be slagging the club off over that, wouldn''t you?

[/quote]

This is all news to me today... where is the source of evidence as others have asked?

Myself and Nutty were in agreement over possibly one thing only last season... in that we both thought that Etuhu was by far the best midfielder out of a bad bunch at the club by a considerable way...

I would be over the moon if we lost Hughes and would not particularly care if we lost Safri (as long as he was replaced), but losing our best midfielder after losing the best striker in the league (only a few weeks ago) would be a bitter pill to swallow!!!

[quote]This is all news to me today... where is the source of evidence as others have asked?[/quote]

This news won''t be official yet Smudger - however,  Herbert seems to be an insider with good contacts - he broke the arrival of new investment before the Turners were unveiled.

A million profit is nice, but it''s a no-brainer that we will need to replace Etuhu if this is true.  Can we replace him with a more consistent player for the same cash ?  Given the lack of parachute payments now, I wonder if we can.  Release clauses are part and parcel of the game, although, if possible to do so (which I doubt), can the club look at the possiblity of raising the clause amounts in alignment with the increase in TV revenue that Premiership clubs now recieve ?

Don''t want to P on anyones parade but wasn''t there something in an article about him being ill with some bug which would mean he would be unlikely to be ready for the first pre-season game?

I think this is pure rumour based upon one player already having a rumour connected to him not being in the squad for the first friendly of the summer.

For me a £1m profit in two years for a player who often seems to let things pass him by would be pretty good going; Etuhu is a decent performer on his day but those occasions are simply not frequent enough.  No doubt the club will be slated for any release clause if it is true, but from the comments on here during last season most would have let him go for next to nothing (I seem to remember a link with Middlesbro for £1.5m being ridiculed from here to next week not long ago!).   Of course we''d need to replace him and/or Saf if either/both left, but imo there are plenty of decent players out there who can perform well and consistently at the level we need for the money we''d have.

good! theres 46 games in a season and someone who only performs for  or 9 of them is dead wood as far as im concerned. i dont Rate Etuhu and my opnion of him is well known on here.

Let Sunderland be hoodwinked with someone who will walk around the center Circle for 30 games a season then wonder why the fans get on his backl and Whinge!

"here for the pay slip, he''s only here for the play slip" and as long as u get it then u dont need to bother... do u Dixon?

jas :)

might not be such a huge issue - money for a replacment and Spillane waiting in the wings to partner Brellier - have also heard he is ill though - so wait and see I guess

So Roy Keane wants a lazy waster who only turns up once in a while does he?

Get real, get off Etuhu''s back and stop this ridiculous, insidious & nasty vendetta against him.

You all know better than Worthy, better than Grant, better than Actim and now better than Roy Keane, I gather.

And I suppose that if he ran around the field huffing & puffing & grunting with effort like Hughsey you would all be happy.

Give me strength.

OTBC

This summer should have been about building around the current SMALL squad, not selling off the players we already had.

While he clearly has problems focusing (43 appearances last year but probably only performed for the equivalent of 20 matches) he is young enough to fulfill the potential he continues to show glimpses off;  especially performing when his place is on the line.   While decrying power players we need one of his kind in our squad and the thought of another new face in a completely new central midfield would be demoralising.

We have to build around an Etuhu/Safri midfield,  not sell them on;  Adding Brellier was a good start to give real competition in midfield;  but only if we keep the initial two. 

As with Safri, replacing Etuhu for just £1.5m will be an impossible task.  

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

This is all news to me today... where is the source of evidence as others have asked?

Myself and Nutty were in agreement over possibly one thing only last season... in that we both thought that Etuhu was by far the best midfielder out of a bad bunch at the club by a considerable way...

I would be over the moon if we lost Hughes and would not particularly care if we lost Safri (as long as he was replaced), but losing our best midfielder after losing the best striker in the league (only a few weeks ago) would be a bitter pill to swallow!!!

[/quote]

And I thought you never went to games,

Etuhu is funny one for me.  He is sort of player that frustrates you and you wonder if he will ever work out for City. Yet somehow you feel he would do well in the Premier League if he moved.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Source?

Evidence?
[/quote]

sometimes people just know people at the club....  Hence why the strihavka''s and Brellier rumours appeared here before the local journalists.  In fact rumours about the Rotherham goalie coming here were on the Rotherham fansite a couple of weeks before he officially signed .

There are some posters whom are trustworthy others just make it up.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Get real, get off Etuhu''s back and stop this ridiculous, insidious & nasty vendetta against him.

You all know better than Worthy, better than Grant, better than Actim and now better than Roy Keane, I gather.

[/quote]I agree with you on this. Etuhu has the equipment to do a very good job, and I''ve seen him do it several times. For whatever reason though, he hasn''t done it for a high enough proportion of the games he''s played it. But he''s not alone in that - Safri''s played fewer games and has a similarly low rating, and so has Drury recently. I feel Etuhu''s been picked on unfairly, and I can understand if he jumps at the chance to leave. I don''t like the hypocrisy of posters who''ve been merciless in their criticism of him now saying it would be criminal to sell him (who was it who coined the name "Eboohoo"?). Grant''s made it plain without saying it that Etuhu needs support from the fans, and he''s had the reverse. So, if the rumours of a bid are true, he''ll be off, and I''ll be very sorry about that.

Gutted to see him go if he does! If Roy Keane rates him, fair play. Etuhu was our BEST player towards the end of last season. If i was Dickson, i''d walk... Premiership? Appreciated? Possibly more money? Screw the boo boys here!

Good luck to him, i''ll miss his pressence, and so will Norwich next season.

Well, if Etuhu leaves and Safri as well, I hope Granty and his staff have some replacements in mind. Like them or loathe them, Etuhu and Safri were an important part of our midfield set-up last season and therefore there will be a large hole left in the team if they move elsewhere. Personally, I would be working on encouraging both of them to stay, unless I had some suitable replacements already lined up.

It will be a shame if they go, a fit Safri is a real asset and I am sure that one day, one club will see the best of Etuhu. But if they are going to go, lets get rid asap, there is nothing worse than all this paper talk and half hearted rumours. It is sure to be an issue for the players themselves, and it will inevitaly affect Grant''s teambuilding plans. If they are going to go, we need it to be soon as it will give us time to carefully replace. Leave it till late and any replacements may be panic signings, or even worse, no signings at all!

[quote user="Michael Starr"]

Gutted to see him go if he does! If Roy Keane rates him, fair play. Etuhu was our BEST player towards the end of last season. If i was Dickson, i''d walk... Premiership? Appreciated? Possibly more money? Screw the boo boys here!

Good luck to him, i''ll miss his pressence, and so will Norwich next season.

[/quote]

Is it any surprise that just like Hughes, he has suffered exactly the same treatment here as at his last Championship club?? Fans are very similar the country over.

Etuhu has actually won many fans over with his improved performances at the end of last season, and I thought we had seen the new Etuhu at the start of last season.  A consistent season next year he could be the best player at the club, but if he goes missing again during the middle of the season will anyone really be surprised??

[/quote]

[/quote]

Statistically we have the leagues best striker, it wasn''t Earnshaw

[/quote]

[/quote]

Statistically we have the leagues best striker, it wasn''t Earnshaw

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

And I suppose that if he ran around the field huffing & puffing & grunting with effort like Hughsey you would all be happy.

Give me strength.

OTBC

[/quote]

hehehe very well said BlyBly... you have to laugh don''t you???

Etuhu was without doub''t our best midfielder last season without a shadow of a doubt...

Tell you what we have sold our best striker, now lets get rid of our best midfielder too shall we?  Why don''t we sell Shackell or Drury next???

Pure genius of team building exercise!!!  [;)]

[quote user="blacko"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I thought you never went to games,

[/quote]

I have seen Etuhu play and I am no fool...

I know Etuhu has what it takes while others around him like the hapless Andy Hughes clearly don''t....  I do not have had to of seen either of them live from the stands in the last year to know that one is a quality player with bags of potential while the other one is utter c**p...  I will leave it up to your own imagination about which statement refers to who.  [;)]