Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF OPTIMISIM FOR NEXT SEASON...

I am now virtually overflowing with optimism for next season, and am predicting now a top two finish. Last season I thought that we were 2 or 3 players short of the final jigsaw needed to win the league, along with the obvious consistency, and i now think we have those players in Marshall, Semmy and Brellier.There''s no doubt we have the attacking quality in Hucks, Cureton, Martin, Croft, Dion etc..and now weve added the defensive strength in Brellier and Semmy, area''s where we severely lacked last season (midfield strength and bite and right back) as well as finally a solid goalkeeper in Marshall, I really believe we have the squad and first 11 to beat anyone. Providing we sign Czech Dave and Etuhu and Safri stay we will have the players and the squad to compete. I expect Fotheringham to really come on this season, as he clearly has the quality, and im confident in Peter Grants ability to get whats needed out of him to be a hit in this league. We now have a very strong midfield, where for the past few seasons, since the Holt/Mulryne/Francis days, we have fallen way short of whats required. This is the key area and where matches are won. We now have Brellier, Etuhu, Safri and Fozzy. This gives us not only the competetion needed but the diversity required to tackle each game as it comes. We now have the flexibility for each game, and in a 4-3-3, Brellier, Etuhu and Safri looks very strong to me. With the exception of central defence, we also have 2 quality players for every position.....Semmy/Hughes, Drury/Lappin, Croft/Chadwick, Etuhu/Brellier, Saf/Fozzy, Cureton/Martin, CzechDave/Dublin, Huckerby...well almost 2, but Hucks doesnt need competetion does he. We do need one more CB, but Dublin, Shackell, Doherty should be good enough, along with Spillane who can play there, as can Semmy.The key area and key signing for me has been Brellier. Since Holt and Francis left we have not had that strong defensive presence in centre mid that is needed to battle and win games in this league. Now we have, and i really think its gonna make us tick. Of course it could go all horribly wrong but im only thinking in the positive at the mo...OTBC..

I certainly know what you mean, but to avoid further dissapointing I won''t be predicting the top two just yet although it could well happen.  Along with further additions top six should be well in our reach.  Hopefully we will have another exciting week.  Anyway I''m certainly enjoying it.

Its definitely good to see some new faces. However before I get too enthusiastic I would still like to see a tall centre back and another strong tackling midfielder. I have never heard of Brellier so I don''t know what sort of player he is but right now we have:

Etuhu- who can be very good but often only plays propoerly for short snatches

Safri- too injury prone and has never quite evolved into what I had hoped he would

Hughes- we know he can''t cut it in the centre. Now a back up right back.

Fotherignham- not proven yet, does not appear to be a tackler and play-breaker

Lappin- looked better than Fotheringham but still not the man to step into the Holt/Francis/Etuhu shoes. Woeful in last home game.

Spillane- promising flashes but still someone to fill in?

Anyone else I''ve forgotten? Looks good in numbers, but light on tough hard and graft.

I have to agree Barclayman, your optimisim is ridiculous.

Show me a good centre forward (Strihavka?) a good centre half (?) and a creative midfield playmaker (?)  and I just might have some ridiculous optimism of my own.

Oh i''d love for us to be forced to play a youth team player at the back and then for them to do amazing. I think then we would be certs for playoffs. Similar thing happened with green if i remember rightly, when he played against ipswich that time.

I like it Barclay! I think you''re glossing over a few weaknesses that

need will attention though. Lappin is not good enough at LB to cover

Drury. This is where the lad Dixon could come in (see my post earlier

today). Huckerby does need competition - or relief - whatever you want

to call it. We have found out in the last few seasons that we can''t be

relying on him for all our penetretive and creative moves as he won''t

be able to deliver ALL the time, even if he can most of the time.

Lappin is an option at left midfield though. We are at least

one big centre back short of only a half decent squad of central

defensive players - i don''t think what we have is good enought unless

Halliday can step up to the plate this season. Remember the state we

were in last season when Flem had gone to Wolves and Doherty and Dublin

were injured?"Providing we sign Czech Dave and Etuhu and Safri

stay..." Sorry, all those three things just aren''t happening! The best

we can hope for is that Dave signs and Dickson stays. And i

hope you''re right about Fozzy - not done enough yet for most. The one guy you

haven''t mentioned is Brown. He may be the forgotten man, but i am far

more convinced by him than Fotheringham and think he can do a great job

for us as the all important target/hold up man. Yes Dion is strong here too but lets face it, we''ll be luck to get 20 games out of hims this season. I saw Brown play on most

of the few occasions he did feature for us and his play in this area

was excellent and is sorely needed in any div 1 team, however we may

play.

[quote user="James Smith"]Oh i''d love for us to be forced to play a youth team player at the back and then for them to do amazing. I think then we would be certs for playoffs. Similar thing happened with green if i remember rightly, when he played against ipswich that time.[/quote]

James, for info only. Roy of the Rovers was in a comic. It is not real life.

[quote]Show me a good centre forward (Strihavka?) a good centre half (?) and a

creative midfield playmaker (?)  and I just might have some ridiculous

optimism of my own.[/quote]Here''s a thought, maybe we''re waiting for some Premiership clubs to decide who they can spare as loanees ?  Maybe we could end up with an Huckerby or Crouch on loan ?Nah, that''s ridiculously optimistic.

A quality central defender in, and good luck on the injury front will make for a positive season... i only hope that come christmas when pitches become heavier, we don''t lose 6 / 7 players to injury... quite frankly, we don''t have the quality to back it up.

Yes,it is a ridiculous amount of optimism,however i would like to congratulate you on becoming a man!

[quote user="ricardo"]

I have to agree Barclayman, your optimisim is ridiculous.

Show me a good centre forward (Strihavka?) a good centre half (?) and a creative midfield playmaker (?)  and I just might have some ridiculous optimism of my own.

[/quote]

hehehe spot on RICARDO...

Never mind, I am sure that they will all wake up from this little dream that they are having come the middle of September!!!  [:D]

Whether you support this club or not, you have to admit this season is a massive improvement on seasons gone by. Instead of Jason Jarrett, Mattieu Louis Jean and Peter Thorne, we''ve got Brellier, Cureton, Strihavka etc.

We''re in for a better season; but let''s not get carried away. We''ll only do better if we can turn potential into reality.

I cannot see the point of supporting anyone if you don''t look on a new season with at least some optimism. You may as well join the other sad individuals who support the team at the top of the Prem.

We look in better shape than we have done for the last 4 seasons at the start of a campaign. I agree we need another centre back (Davenport on loan would be good) and another midfielder but i do think we need to keep some money back to spend in January.

[quote user="Wings"]

Whether you support this club or not, you have to admit this season is a massive improvement on seasons gone by. Instead of Jason Jarrett, Mattieu Louis Jean and Peter Thorne, we''ve got Brellier, Cureton, Strihavka etc.

We''re in for a better season; but let''s not get carried away. We''ll only do better if we can turn potential into reality.

[/quote]

I would have thought that considerably more was expected of Peter Thorne at the we got him than is now expected of Davy Striker.

Funny old thing - time - isn''t it?

OTBC

We have signed as of this moment 5 players which have strengthened the squad, I still don''t see the first 11 being much better than last season. I will give you Marshall as an improvement over last year and Otsemebor being better than Hughes and possibly Colin (think Colin may be better defensively). Is Brellier better than Safri? Is Cureton better than Earnie? I''m not convinced that Jamie will get many games this year particularly if Hux plays up front as I don''t see them working as a pair. I would imagine Hux and Strivhka may be the first choice front 2 with Lappin on the left (particularly away from home).

As many have said we still have the same 2 centre halfs who have shown they ain''t good enough to get us in the play-offs that we have had for the last 2 seasons. A strong leader is need there asap.

It also seems that we may lose Safri & Hughes so we will need 2 further players to replace them - Marney for Saf would be OK and as cover for right back I would probably go for Kenton on a 1 year deal (can also provide cover for centre back & left back).

The key could well be Strivhka who if he settles is likely to be a good foil for the likes of Hux, Cureton or even Martin. If not then I fear another mid table season or worse if Hux is injured.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

We have signed as of this moment 5 players which have strengthened the squad, I still don''t see the first 11 being much better than last season. I will give you Marshall as an improvement over last year and Otsemebor being better than Hughes and possibly Colin (think Colin may be better defensively). Is Brellier better than Safri? Is Cureton better than Earnie? I''m not convinced that Jamie will get many games this year particularly if Hux plays up front as I don''t see them working as a pair. I would imagine Hux and Strivhka may be the first choice front 2 with Lappin on the left (particularly away from home).

As many have said we still have the same 2 centre halfs who have shown they ain''t good enough to get us in the play-offs that we have had for the last 2 seasons. A strong leader is need there asap.

It also seems that we may lose Safri & Hughes so we will need 2 further players to replace them - Marney for Saf would be OK and as cover for right back I would probably go for Kenton on a 1 year deal (can also provide cover for centre back & left back).

The key could well be Strivhka who if he settles is likely to be a good foil for the likes of Hux, Cureton or even Martin. If not then I fear another mid table season or worse if Hux is injured.

[/quote]

As realistic post as I have seen on here during the close season STEVIE... well done mate! [Y]

I agree that while we have signed several players we have also let about SEVEN go...

I agree that Marshall is an improvement on what we had and that Brellier looks a useful addition to the squad, but there are also rumours that Safri is on his way and it looks that Grant is no fan of Colin either.

So then..

Is Cureton better than Earnshaw?

Is Brellier better than Safri?

Is Ostomebor any better than Colin?

Are any of the youngsters that we have good enough to setp up and play regular first team football?

Have we progressed far enough to improve at least 10 places on where we ended up finishing in the league last season?

Take a look around the other teams...  I for one do not think that we have a hope in hells chance of challenging for promotion... and quite frankly for the 3rd season running that is just not good enough!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[/quote]

So then..

Are any of the youngsters that we have good enough to setp up and play regular first team football?

Have we progressed far enough to improve at least 10 places on where we ended up finishing in the league last season?

Take a look around the other teams...  I for one do not think that we have a hope in hells chance of challenging for promotion... and quite frankly for the 3rd season running that is just not good enough!!!

[/quote]

Eanrshaw is better than Cureton although Cureton may provide more to the team as a whole

Breiller is better than Safri yes (I have seen both play)

Otsemebor is better than Colin and will provide more going forward and in addition has none of the personal problems Colin has 

Grant has a better view than Worthington in terms of fitness and how to play players in pre season, our team will be more settled this season due to having just one manager and hopefully less injuries

So in response to your question Smudger yes we have improved with the exception of Earnshaw perhaps, if Strihvka comes good then we will have improved our forward line even with the sale of Earnshaw and we will finish between 1st and 8th this season!

Smudger...what exactly would it take to get you optimistic about the coming season? If we signed Rooney and Ronaldo?If you dont think that signing Marshall, Brellier, Cureton and Strihavka as being a good thing then you just dont know your football young man. Im willing to bet that all four will be an instant hit and improve the side considerably. Lets pick this up again end of October and see who''s right. I wont forget so lets see.....Marshall we know about, class.Cureton, proven, CHAMPIONSHIP TOP SCORER LAST TERM...NUFF SAID.Brellier, watch the you tube video, just what the team needs.....at Hearts for last two seasons when they have been flying and really challenged Rangers and Celtic, Brellier was a big part of this. Will do wonders for us.Strihavka, tactically just what we need and have needed since Iwan, and can actually play a bit, looks like a poor mans Ibrahimovic, similar to Saganovski who has proved a hit at Southampton.Otsemebor, best right back outside the Championship....remember when this was said about Drury? look what a bargain he was...And its still early days, Grant has worked wonders so far IMO in the transfer market....

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

I would have thought that considerably more was expected of Peter Thorne at the we got him than is now expected of Davy Striker.

OTBC

[/quote]

How''d you work that one out? Peter Thorne - 32 year old target man who hadn''t set the Championship alight since playing for Stoke nearly 3 years prior to his signing.

David Strihavka; former Czech youth international who finished top scorer in his league. And he''s in the prime of his life, and not nearly at retirement age.

I think far more is expected of Strihavka, and I daresay he''ll do a great deal more than Thorne did (not that it takes much).

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[/quote]

An excellent, well thought out post. However, I must respectfully disagree.

I think it''s the other way around. As the squad stands (ie with none of expected leavers leaving us) the squad is significantly stronger than it was previously. Gone are Earnshaw, Thorne, MLJ, Henderson, Fisk and McVeigh and in are Marshall, Gilks, Otsemobor, Brellier, Strihavka and Cureton. Taking those two groups, you can''t help but notice the quality of players coming in far outweights the quality of players that have left. Thus, in my opinion, the squad has greater strength in this regard.

Our first eleven is significantly stronger though. Marshall is a definite improvement, and Otsemobor really can''t do much worse than Colin and Hughes. Brellier will offer us everything Safri can offer, but will also give us a player who doesn''t get injured/disappear/lose fitness during religious periods. Cureton will score us goals; perhaps not so many as Earnshaw, but if you consider we''ve lost Earnshaw to gain Cureton and Strihavka I think most would agree it''s a good deal. We can''t keep relying on one goalscorer any longer. Finally, Gilks offers us far more convincing a back up than Gallacher does. I''d feel relatively confident with Gilks than Gallacher.

We need now to flesh out the squad. Find those elusive center backs (at least one, maybe two IMO) and a back up for Drury and I think Grant can put his feet up and claim a job well done.

[quote user="Wings"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

How''d you work that one out? Peter Thorne - 32 year old target man who hadn''t set the Championship alight since playing for Stoke nearly 3 years prior to his signing.

David Strihavka; former Czech youth international who finished top scorer in his league. And he''s in the prime of his life, and not nearly at retirement age.

I think far more is expected of Strihavka, and I daresay he''ll do a great deal more than Thorne did (not that it takes much).

[/quote]

And he thought I didn''t have a clue. The irony is almost painful.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[/quote]

So then..

[/quote]

Eanrshaw is better than Cureton although Cureton may provide more to the team as a whole

Breiller is better than Safri yes (I have seen both play)

Otsemebor is better than Colin and will provide more going forward and in addition has none of the personal problems Colin has 

Grant has a better view than Worthington in terms of fitness and how to play players in pre season, our team will be more settled this season due to having just one manager and hopefully less injuries

So in response to your question Smudger yes we have improved with the exception of Earnshaw perhaps, if Strihvka comes good then we will have improved our forward line even with the sale of Earnshaw and we will finish between 1st and 8th this season!

[/quote]

We will see and time will tell...

But I would say that overall there may have been a minor improvement on last season... but only a minor one when a vast improvement was needed!

I do not think that much has been don to drastically improve upon the 16th place we finished in last season...

Therefore I think that somewhere between 8th place and 16th place would be far more realistic.

As I have said though only time will tell.

We have every chance of doing very well this coming season, what people seem to forget was there was definate improvement after Grant''s last dip in the transfer/loan market...So add the new lads to the mix, I have no doubt that we are in for a good campaign.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="Wings"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis is a former England youth international. Therefore............

Foreigners? Drazen Muzinic was captain of Yugoslavia, and Hamilton''s Dutchmen were superb weren''t they?

Potential. Reality. Mirrors.

We should get in reality rather than potential. But reality costs.

The irony of ironies will be......................very, very  painful (unless we get very, very lucky). And it will be hurting both you and me. Wait & see.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="Wings"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis is a former England youth international. Therefore............

Foreigners? Drazen Muzinic was captain of Yugoslavia, and Hamilton''s Dutchmen were superb weren''t they?

Potential. Reality. Mirrors.

We should get in reality rather than potential. But reality costs.

The irony of ironies will be......................very, very  painful (unless we get very, very lucky). And it will be hurting both you and me. Wait & see.

OTBC

[/quote]Quite a difference between your examples and the current ones but yes we will have to wait and see but then you would do that with any player wouldn''t you? You know decide if he is good enough after you have seen him play? That''s all I''m doing.

[quote user="Wings"][quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[/quote]

An excellent, well thought out post. However, I must respectfully disagree.

I think it''s the other way around. As the squad stands (ie with none of expected leavers leaving us) the squad is significantly stronger than it was previously. Gone are Earnshaw, Thorne, MLJ, Henderson, Fisk and McVeigh and in are Marshall, Gilks, Otsemobor, Brellier, Strihavka and Cureton. Taking those two groups, you can''t help but notice the quality of players coming in far outweights the quality of players that have left. Thus, in my opinion, the squad has greater strength in this regard.

Our first eleven is significantly stronger though. Marshall is a definite improvement, and Otsemobor really can''t do much worse than Colin and Hughes. Brellier will offer us everything Safri can offer, but will also give us a player who doesn''t get injured/disappear/lose fitness during religious periods. Cureton will score us goals; perhaps not so many as Earnshaw, but if you consider we''ve lost Earnshaw to gain Cureton and Strihavka I think most would agree it''s a good deal. We can''t keep relying on one goalscorer any longer. Finally, Gilks offers us far more convincing a back up than Gallacher does. I''d feel relatively confident with Gilks than Gallacher.

We need now to flesh out the squad. Find those elusive center backs (at least one, maybe two IMO) and a back up for Drury and I think Grant can put his feet up and claim a job well done.

[/quote]

I can accept some of your points and I have stated that the squad is better than last year. However, some people seem to need a reality check. The addition of these 5 players isn''t going to change a bottom 8 team into a top one. We are weak at centre half and I''m not convinced we have the strikers to fire in enough goals - I love Cureton but I don''t think he is what we needed to sign we needed a partner for Hux which Dave Striker may well be. Lets look at the facts as they currently are;

Centre Backs

• Shackell - Not yet fullfilled potential
  • Doc - Error prone and inconsistent.
  • Dublin - 38 and a centre forward.
  • Spillane - 19 and learning his trade.

Strikers

• Cureton - one very good season at this level but 32.
  • Strivahka (if he signs) - may take time to adjust to English football. OK scoring record last season.
  • Martin - 7/8 decent games followed by 7/8 poor ones last year. Could go either way.
  • Dublin - 38 and looks a better centre back than centre forward now.
  • Brown - Far from convincing last year
  • Hux - still are only real hope but another year older.

I''m sorry but these are key areas and I simply don''t think we are good enough in these areas to compete at the top end of the division - not when you compare to what the likes of WBA, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Charlton have available.