Sign in to follow this  
canarychris

How do we spend the Green cash?

Assuming we get £1.5m + another goalkeeper for Greeno how should we spend that money? I guess we have £500k left over from the Summer budget, meaning we have £2m to spend.

I would suggest a move for Greg Halford who would give cover in a number of positions, namely RB, RM and target man. This would cost in the region of £1m. If this is not possible then we should move for Steve Brooker as a target man, again we wouldn''t get much change from £1m.

We will still need cover down the left so David Vaughan would provide this as well as being able to play CM.

Personally i think if we could get all 3 we would be promotion certainties, but with the funds available i would be more than happy with Halford and Vaughan.

Oh and by the way, Good luck Greeno, you go with my best wishes, you have served the club superbly and where an integral part of our Championship winning season, hopefully we can stick a couple past you next season in the Premiership.Smile [:)]

I would go with a LB drury is going downhill sharpish, but even if he does start to perform better we really need cover on that side and plus I think competition for his place will help him to get his performances back on track. Yes agreed on the target man, but I''m unsure of who that could be, time for a loan signing its worked before and it can work again

Q How should we spend the cash?

A Wisely would be my answer.

Or maybe on Sutton on a pay as you play deal, what have we got to lose?

[quote]Q How should we spend the cash?

Or maybe on Sutton on a pay as you play deal, what have we got to lose?[/quote]

Either spending the money wisely, or on Sutton eh ?  Well, Sutton''s been ruled out, which leaves spending the money wisely.

A couple of weeks ago I''d have said we needed a right-back.  Now Colin is working well with Croft, we probably need cover at left-back.

With the small squad we have, does anyone think that we could use a "utility defender", e.g. someone happy anywhere on the pitch ?  I wonder if Clive Clarke might have originally been a make-weight in any deal for green, but as he wants guaranteed matches, West Ham have turned up with more readies.  We could certainly use someone like him.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]Drury has one average game and that''s going downhill sharpish ?[/quote]

My thought exactly.

Drury has beem a model of consistency since  he joined the club apart from a slighlty dissapointing premiership season

" Or maybe on Sutton on a pay as you play deal, what have we got to lose?"

A hefty signing on fee, an agent(s) commission and a weekly wage that could be better spent on someone who is not a injury prone old hasbeen looking for a final payoff.

Watch to see how many other clubs are beating a path to Sutton''s door to sign him.

a clue - slightly less than one

greg halford is a good shout, we could play him at right back and then if things aren''t going that well we could use him as a target man because he is a more than capable striker with good feet unlike doherty

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Either spending the money wisely, or on Sutton eh ?  Well, Sutton''s been ruled out, which leaves spending the money wisely.

A couple of weeks ago I''d have said we needed a right-back.  Now Colin is working well with Croft, we probably need cover at left-back.

With the small squad we have, does anyone think that we could use a "utility defender", e.g. someone happy anywhere on the pitch ?  I wonder if Clive Clarke might have originally been a make-weight in any deal for green, but as he wants guaranteed matches, West Ham have turned up with more readies.  We could certainly use someone like him.

[/quote]

billy jones is the answer, youngster with huge potential, can play in every position across the back four.

[quote user="sket"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

billy jones is the answer, youngster with huge potential, can play in every position across the back four.[/quote] u`ve obviously been playing too much football manager 2006

I have to agree with the Billy Jones shout..he looks to be a great prospect and is already perfoming to a high standard at the tender age of 18 (i think!). Greg Halford would also be a quality signing, hes a good player, and as has been said, can give cover in a variety of positions, which is important considering the size of the squad. I also believe that Kuqi would be a good signing, and whats more, he would be attainable i feel, what with Sparky going on a spending spree at Ewood Park.

I still feel it is worth looking in the reserves of the bigger premiership clubs for loans. The reserve teams of Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea are bulging with quality players who are looking to go and show what they can do (although admitedly, many of the Arsenal players have gone on loan already!). These could be players for backup to Dukebox etc, or a''la the promotion season, a quality player in the mould of Huckerby and Crouch. I cant think of any player in particular at the moment, it is true, but there must be the players there....

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]Drury has one average game and that''s going downhill sharpish ?[/quote]Well I''ve seen him in the last four games, and to me he''s looked poor, average at the best of times. Bad marking, poor tackles, practically gave the opposition a goal on saturday and to me yes that is going down hill sharpish, we could shrug our shoulders and say I''m sure he''ll be fine next week but for me he needs a good wake up call such as someone challaging for his position.

Lets use the money wisely.  A new target man who is hungry, Mr Hunter may possibly know through contacts a young U19 or early 20''s I think we''ll be surprised by who it is.  An experience left back, to cover Drury.  Though we''ll probably get £1m up front now this will only be enough for 1 maybe 2 new signing plus wages so don''t expect too much business to happen.

It has to be put back in the squad - and not used to pay debts, stand development etc etc.  The squad is waf-air thin and an injury to anyone other than a striker will see us creek a little, especially to drury or safri.

For me the priorities are a midfielder and left back with a striker only if leon goes.  Going 4-4-2 really means going 4-2-4 as neither croft nor hux can dfend effectively enough for 90 mins to allow a 2 man midfield to cover the full width of the park when the opponents have the ball, not even with Safri and Etuhu in the form they are in.

From the various posts it seems quite divided whether to go for a target man style striker or cover in other parts of the team, my personal opinion is that we should sign a player who would do a job for the team and pretty much be a regular in the team in a similar manner as Croft has done since he arrived and solved our right sided problem.  I know it will be easy to say in hindsight but I would hate to spend say half the Green money on a midfielder and another bit on a left back and, touchwood, we have only a few injuries in those positions over the course of the season, so they would be out of the team.  Again this is my opinion but I think that the target man/partner for Earnie should be addressed first if Leon is really not the answer in the managers mind.

well i think it has to be spent on a target man.... we are going to get about 1.5 million up fron from west ham and then we have about 500 thousand left over i wud think! i would therefore spend the 1.5 million on a target man for example shefki kuqi then i would sing a keeper or a left back with the other 500 thousand and then get the other one on loan until more funds are free.. however if you went for jon parkin instead of shefki kuqi you would have more moeny and then probably could sign another player or a keepr and left back permanently... from what i saw of john parkin last season he seemed good but not as quality as shefki kuqi who will get you goals aswell!

Im suprised no ones mentioned James Hayter, a great player for Bournemouth whos only 25 and scored almost 100 goals in his career already...

jas :)

Er ....  before we all start spending  the Greeno cash ,  there`s the little matter  of finalisation to the deal !   correct me if I`m wrong , but  doesn`t Greeno have to pass a medical , and agree personal terms ?

Assuming its a done deal , then the talk is that it  COULD  be worth £2M  !  in other words  that sum depends  on  certain conditions , like appearances  etc ,  so far I`ve not heard of any amount  to be paid upfront !

Jas, what do you know about James Hayter? I remember him coming on as a sub 3 or 4 seasons ago & scoring 4 in the last ten minutes, I think, & I''ve followed his career from a distance ever since. He''s clearly a regular goal scorer but I believe he''s sometimes in & out of the team (perhaps I should have checked the B''mouth website before this post), but have you seen him play? Would he, for example, play alongside Earnie or are we looking at like for like?

Target man is imperitive. Jon Parkin is a great shout. Grant Holt at Forest has potential as well, and I''ve always liked Brooker. Worthy doesn''t watch lower leagues though (McKenzie, Drury, Abbey, Briggs - sum total of six years scouting) so we''ll be looking at Premiership reserves loans I think.

Billy Jones is great cover at left back and can also play centre-mid so would be another good call. Another centre back and right wing back up would be good too, and Halford would certainly satisfy both criteria and more.

Total costs though? Halford £1m, Jones £450k, Parkin £1m.

The figures don''t add up unfortunately. Halford + Jones + Loan target man does though.

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]Jas, what do you know about James Hayter? I remember him coming on as a sub 3 or 4 seasons ago & scoring 4 in the last ten minutes, I think, & I''ve followed his career from a distance ever since. He''s clearly a regular goal scorer but I believe he''s sometimes in & out of the team (perhaps I should have checked the B''mouth website before this post), but have you seen him play? Would he, for example, play alongside Earnie or are we looking at like for like?[/quote]

all i know of Hayter is what i see on TV and Read.. he is a god at Dean Court for his goals, holds the record for the fastest Hat trick in English Football. He is about 5''11-6ft i think.

He could compliment Earnie as although he isnt a Iwan Roberts he goes in where it hurts and isnt afraid of the physical side which could help.. id doubt he would cost much.. id reckon about 500,000

Also, he has been playing since he was a teenager and at 25 must surely be reaching his prime.. he has also played upfront with Jermaine Defoe at Bournemouth, not a bad partner to learn from.

jas :)