Sign in to follow this  
TheMarshmallowMan

Opinions on Leon McKenzie, please?

A work-hard player with pace and some ability but lacks the finish to ever really make it. Would be happy to have him as a sub but not as a regular first-teamer as I don''t think he''ll ever get 20+ goals a season.

i think he is one of our better players. the good thing is, he isn''t just about running around, giving his all, he can do well on the ball aswell. although there is certainly more talented players here, he is definately not one of the least talented. im sure he''d get into double figures (goals) if he played all season.

I`m sure he would be the first to admit skill is not his greaest attribute, but he makes an awful lot of goals and chances by chasing so call lost balls, and knocking defenders off the ball.

He also stops defenders playing the ball out, as he closes them down alot quicker than any of our other forwards, he also goes in where it hurts,

A 100% man, i`d have him in my team most weeks.

So yes, i am a big fan of Leon.

Any critisism`s, ?

Yes, sometimes when he goes on a run, he has his head down, and is not always aware of other players around him, but surely thats what the coaching staff are there for?????

An under-rated legend.  He is a constant menace to defenders, and once he got into his stride in the Premiership, looked like he could have got a hatful for us...

He plays better with a quality player alongside him - he certainly sprung to life when Ashton was next to him, feeding off his balls*.

Lacks the killer finish at times, but usually because he''s run a half marathon just to win the ball back, so gets a little over-excited.  If we get a quality big-man striker in next season Earnie will always be ahead of him, but would have no problems with him as a sub, or starting if Earnie is injured.

*as it were.

he is my favourite player, he will run his socks off for a lost cause time and time again. Never gives up and will fight until the end. good touch, good in the air, good pace, ok at finishing, altogether a talented player. he is one of the most talented at the club, easily.

Essential in a Championship side and (maybe) an occasional sub if promoted, but I''m not persuaded he''s first-choice Premiership material on what we saw last season. This only because we need goals and he seems to choke or mis-hit too often. 

Can never question his commitment/effort however, although the Andy HOOOOOOOOSE debate confirms, I fear, that effort can only deliver so much. 

A great squad player and someone you know you will always get 100% out of. He makes life difficult for defenders when he puts them under pressure and closes them down.

For a 27 year old though, he still plays like a teenager and looks naive at times, finding himself in offside positions and is dealt with easily by experienced defenders.

He won''t ever get you 20 goals even at this level but definately worth having around.

10 out of 10 for effort

10 out of 10 for his love of the club

2 out of ten for composure in front of goal

I see Earnie + 1 starting next season with Leon on the bench

My opinion of Leon is pretty much as Huckerby summed it up in one of his latest comments.At the beggining of the season I would was absoloutly excited about the idea of MacKenzie and Ashton upfront. They should have been able to score 50-60 goals between them had everything panned out.I am a big fan of Leon him and Earny are the two best strikers we have so we should play to make it work with them. Buckets of pace between them and MacKenzie is the fighter and the punch puller. He gets in their and ruffles them up.I would go as far as saying that he is no worse than Marcus Bent and look at the money people have paid for him? I would even go as far as saying that he is probably a better all round player.

McKenzie is a legend! He has so much enthusiasm it’s untrue, he never gives up & will bust a gut (Gary Holt style) for the Norwich cause! He hasn’t got the skills of Ronaldhinio but he’s not exactly Rob Newman either & IMO showed last season (eventually) he can cut it in the Prem!! He does score goals, he scored more than his fair share in the promotion season between Christmas & the New Year & I’m sure will score 15-20 for us next season!

It''s unfair to judge him this season because of the injuries and games missed. I think he is a player we have few of - raw passion, raw energy, raw determination.

I tell you what I would rather have him in my team than an opponents. He would tear us to shreds if he came to Carrow Road in another club''s colours Ihave no doubt about that.

OTBC  

Extremely under rated and probably on e of the best pound for pound signings made by the club in recent times.  A constant menace to defences and a player who would bleed for the cause.  Perhaps he is no Harewood or Henry in front of goal but he makes up for this with the 110% he puts in. 

He chases the loose ball and pressures defences into mistakes.  With a fully fit Leon for the whole season we may have just hit the playoffs.  Do not shoot me for what I am about to say but I would like to see Leon employed on the right wing.  He has the ability to beat players and skin them in the danger zones, and can put in a decent cross as well.  He can of course join the attack as a when as well. (Better than the current Andy Hughes era)

Leon doesn''t get the plaudits Mr Huckerby seems to get, but works alot harder for the team.    

Rossi has it spot on IMO. I love Leon, and it seemed to me that this season he came back from injury with just as much effortand desire, but more skill. That is, more skill except when it comes to finishing. I really want him to find that composure, but you have to wonder whether he will.

But, despite Leon''s shortcomings, it''s very refreshing to have a player whose energy and commitment is unflagging, when there are the likes of Robinson, Etuhu and Safri who vanish for long spells during games. The (to me, at least) undoubted fact that these three have the talent to shine in this division is irrelevant if they aren''t going to use it week in and week out. They need to learn from Leon.

I''m sorry to say this, but i dont believe he is good enough. I would perhaps keep him as a squad player, but work rate, passion and commitment isn''t good. You need to have enough ability and be able to fit into the team, and i''m afraid he struggles in both catagories. Firstly, we have Earnshaw who must play, he needs a bigger player with him, e.g. Chris sutton. Earnshaw would be awesome playing off a bigger man. Secondly, his goalscoring record is average. He is a similar type player to Earnshaw and was awful last season untill he played with a good targetman (ashton) when he improved slightly. His work rate is excelent, he is very passiionate but his finishing isnt great and he is sometimes a headless chicken.

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]

10 out of 10 for effort

[/quote]

You''ve got it spot on rossi.

Wow, a thread that''s not about changing/keeping the manager yet! Well done.

I will play Devil''s Advocate and state the one bad point that I think nobody has yet pointed out: his positional play.

It''s all very well charging around like a chicken with no head, but to be a good striker you have to pop up in the box when needed. I don''t think he has that skill. Yes, his touch isn''t great but it''s good enough when allied with his pace, determination and skills.

Having said that, he''s a great Championship striker and I don''t think his composure is that much of an issue - it was just one game recently when he wasn''t really match practiced.

My favourite player - he looks and plays like someone who appreciates being a pro player. We were a much better team when he played and I hope that he will have an injury free 2006-7.

Its no question Mckenzie is a player who puts in 100 %....However putting in 100 % doesn''t make him good...

Interesting stat.... In the premiership last season the average striker won their team 11 corners for their team... Leon Mckenzie won 40..

Never gives up, even when chasing lost causes. We have missed him this season. If certain other members of the team had shown even 70% of his effort and commitment, we might have challenged for the play-offs.As a striker he has his limtations - his touch and his control let him down regularly, and the fact that he can shoot only with one foot. In terms of heading, he is very effective and very brave.In summary- a whole-hearted, loyal and commited member of the team, but with technical limitations which mean that he is not Premiership material.

Play McKenzie in midfield  !  he`s not a striker , loses it in front of goal  , but  a 100 per center  commitmentwise ,  gets stuck into tackles ,  really needs to calm down a tad !   that way he`ll  last a bit longer before he gets injured ......   but , yes ,  he gives his all  , and for that alone  worth having in the team !

An essential part of our squad who gives us his all when focused on his football,  a proven goalscorer at this level and causes defences trouble when we play the ball on the deck. Is an excellent ''second'' striker but not so hot when he is the target/first striker.  Poor touch means he will not be a regular prem striker but his persistence mean in that league he is an excellent sub option.

A core member of of squad next season and he must not be allowed to leave in the summer.

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]

10 out of 10 for effort

[/quote]

I agree with Rossi [:D]