cambridgeshire canary

Barnes to be fit for playoff final

Posted (edited)

If we make it that far of course. Bit of a blow from a psychological standpoint as you would feel he's exactly the kind of player you would want winding up and annoying the opposition players during high stakes matches.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If we make it that far of course. Bit of a blow from a psychological standpoint as you would feel he's exactly the kind of player you would want wounding up and annoying the opposition players during high stakes matches.

Tbf other teams can wind him up too 😂 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

'If' Rowe is fit, it solves the conundrum of how to get him back into the team at least....

Maybe his injury means we might see Hooijdonk get a start..

• Haha 1

Cometh the hour, cometh the man

Sydney van Honkytonk, now is your chance

''pass it to the Dutchy on the left hand side"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The shoe-horned two striker model can work well against weaker sides.

Not sure it stands longer term scrutiny against better teams.

Good strategic move to insert Rowe into a driving in-to-out 10. Maximising him as a weapon. 

Parma

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Good strategic move to insert Rowe into a driving in-to-out 10. Maximising him as a weapon.

We can hope he does what Nathan Redmond did for us in the play-offs, last time around.

But while Rowe has the ability to be the difference in games. He can also be completely anonymous, as he was against Swansea.

• Like 1

My guess is that although he'll be rested for B'ham Wagner's being a little coy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

We can hope he does what Nathan Redmond did for us in the play-offs, last time around.

But while Rowe has the ability to be the difference in games. He can also be completely anonymous, as he was against Swansea.

came on  as a sub and didnt get any service. 

Hardly his fault - especially in a first game back too. 

Just now, Greavsy said:

He came on against Preston and Bristol City too. Was very lively at Preston.

6 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Let's hope he doesn't do what Nathan Redmond did to us on the season after that...

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He came on against Preston and Bristol City too. Was very lively at Preston.

Fair - apols. 

• Like 1

My point is that there is a lot of expectation on a young player, who is also coming back from injury.

And maybe it's also unrealistic.

He has the ability to win us games. But he has also shown that, sometimes, he can struggle to get involved in games.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

came on  as a sub and didnt get any service. 

This. I don't think he's 100% fit.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Play both pieces.

Strategically it can be argued that it matters little whether Rowe does something brilliant-dangerous, or whether the opposition fear he might.

If they must strategically adjust even to the possibility, the tactical gain is de-facto made regardless.

Parma 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Play both pieces.

Strategically it can be argued that it matters little whether Rowe does something brilliant-dangerous, or whether the opposition fear he might.

If they must strategically adjust even to the possibility, the tactical gain is de-facto made regardless.

Parma 

I suspect that holds water against weaker sides, but not against the sort of quality (and they are quality, despite end of season form) teams that will be in the play-offs. Rowe's defensive frailties and tendency to give the ball away trying something flashy, coupled with a lack of match fitness might mean a net loss rather than a net gain.

37 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Cometh the hour, cometh the man

Sydney van Honkytonk, now is your chance

''pass it to the Dutchy on the left hand side"

I'd start SVH this weekend. Big call. Get more minutes out of Rowe from the bench as well again.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

I'd start SVH this weekend. Big call. Get more minutes out of Rowe from the bench as well again.

I think that's probably a good call. If there is any game where we might start him it's this one and see how it goes.

For me it's a mouthwatering proposition to have Rowe, Sainz and Sargent as a front 3, with Nunez Sara and Mclean behind them. The best front six in the league imo.

• Like 1

I'll be honest - I'm just leery of over-hyping Rowe. He certainly has potential.

The team however has to be greater than the sum of it parts.

Rowe was certainly clinical and composed earlier in the season and was adding/improving to his game (particularity better defensive duties) but I'd like to see a whole season and not just a purple patch.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

For me it's a mouthwatering proposition to have Rowe, Sainz and Sargent as a front 3, with Nunez Sara and Mclean behind them. The best front six in the league imo.

Rowe looks a way off match fitness currently. I cant see him being risked from the start and I think he'll be blowing by half time. It look likes a good front six, however would leave us very narrow and would depend on Brums tactics, which will no doubt be attacking as they have it all to lose.

Edited by jaberry2

Best front six ? better than Leicester or Leeds I think not.  Dreamer !

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Leeds players are a bunch of bottlejobs and Leicster have Vardy and that's cheating 😉

15 minutes ago, pete said:

That's the mans opinion. They can differ. 

For me this might be blessing as we get to see the potential of Sargent, with Rowe, Sara, Sainz and Nunez & McLean in midfield……that’s some championship set up! Just a shame the back four doesn’t Mach up!

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We pretty much had that against Swansea. Unfortunately Rowe looks well off the pace.

If Barnes is missing for the play-off semis begs the question who plays on the no.10 role.

If we're down to 1 fit striker I'd be tempted to drop Sarge to the bench.

We were outnumbered in midfield vs Bristol City with Barnes playing and were the better for an extra number in that midfield vs Swansea when he was on the bench...and that was agsinst 2 mid table sides with little to play for.

This maybe a blessing in that Wagner's hand will be forced to do the same against thr better standard of opposition we would now face where we cannot afford to be open and out numbered vs the likes of Leeds or/and Southampton.

..although it would still have been good to have had him on the bench

Waiting for Ashley Barnes, our savior - we are really scraping the bottom of the barrow ain't we ?

10 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

The shoe-horned two striker model can work well against weaker sides.

Not sure it stands longer term scrutiny against better teams.

Parma

Bit confused by this as you are usually more astute IMHO. Barnes has been used, for my money, in a similar way to Stieperman was.

Not prolific in terms of goalscoring but enough of a physical presence to be a nusance. Stieperman was more unconventional than physical but it had the same impact.

I wouldn't say Barnes was shoehorned or an out and out striker as such. He's played the same/similar role at Burnley, often in behind the likes of Woods, Rodriguez, Ings etc.

When Sargent has played, he's never really ahead of him going forward.

Though I kinda get what you are saying. He's not an out and out '10' either. More a 9.5. Or a 'false 9'.

Jury is out on Rowe in there. It's an option. As is Fassnacht. You could equally play Sara there and Rowe wide or Sainz there with Sara and Rowe wide.