Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Carrow Road Beginnings

Great video.  If only for this guy calling the riverside the river end, which I got told off for here a few weeks ago.  And then got labelled a binner and a plastic...

But like the Murphy's...

33 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well worth a few minutes viewing for us old lads. 

Thanks for that M.Yellow a very enjoyable and interesting  video. A VERY GOOD WATCH.👍🎯

50 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

Great video.  If only for this guy calling the riverside the river end, which I got told off for here a few weeks ago.  And then got labelled a binner and a plastic...

But like the Murphy's...

I call it the river end. Didn’t it used to be that in the 90s

The narrator implies that the South Stand seats were installed after the Hillsborough tragedy but the change was made at the end of the 1974/5 season in preparation for the return to the top tier that year. 

One small anomaly in what is a very interesting and informative video.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

But like the Murphy's...

The River End has always been the River End as far as I am concerned, except when it became "The Reeves Stand", Riverside is a different thing altogether..........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

But like the Murphy's...

No you got told off for calling it riverside. It’s always been the River End

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

I call it the river end. Didn’t it used to be that in the 90s

Yep, exactly.

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

No you got told off for calling it riverside. It’s always been the River End

Maybe. Can't remember.

The first South Stand cover I remember reading as being supported by the supporters club. As said above the seating was originally installed in 1974/75, before complete replacement in this century when it was effectively condemned by the local authority. The cost of the floodlights in the '50's that nearly broke the club and the wider role of key figures in the saving of the club is worthy of a video itself. No mention of Reeves' sale funding the River End, or Captain Barclay's support of the cover at what became "his" stand. Thus the development of the ground generally has been funded by fans.

I hate to be too critical, because this is a fan's perspective on things. A nice start, but as a piece on local social history and heritage, there is a much, much bigger story to tell. This barely scratches the surface. I look forward to an Attanasio driven piece on the history of the club in a few years time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The first South Stand cover I remember reading as being supported by the supporters club. As said above the seating was originally installed in 1974/75, before complete replacement in this century when it was effectively condemned by the local authority. The cost of the floodlights in the '50's that nearly broke the club and the wider role of key figures in the saving of the club is worthy of a video itself. No mention of Reeves' sale funding the River End, or Captain Barclay's support of the cover at what became "his" stand. Thus the development of the ground generally has been funded by fans.

I hate to be too critical, because this is a fan's perspective on things. A nice start, but as a piece on local social history and heritage, there is a much, much bigger story to tell. This barely scratches the surface. I look forward to an Attanasio driven piece on the history of the club in a few years time.

The guy is clearly not a football fan.

He does a good job of editing & presenting but - IMO - is taking the **** with his liberal use of the George Plunkett library (gives Norolk Records Office an on-screen credit but not Plunkett) and his research is not all it could be.

Plus, looking at the comments, he LOVES praise but doesn't respond well to criticism!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The guy is clearly not a football fan.

He does a good job of editing & presenting but - IMO - is taking the **** with his liberal use of the George Plunkett library (gives Norolk Records Office an on-screen credit but not Plunkett) and his research is not all it could be.

Plus, looking at the comments, he LOVES praise but doesn't respond well to criticism!

Actually he is a long standing season ticket holder who does lots of careful research - check out his other Lost Norwich videos including the one about Newmarket Road and The Nest.  He doesn't take the **** with his use of the George Plunkett Archive as he has the family's permission to use it and as far as I'm aware usually credits this in each of his videos.  You obviously haven't got a clue about the guy himself but I don't expect you to respond well to criticism either!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

Maybe. Can't remember.

Well, you learn someone new every day!

Suspect it’s over of those ‘official status’ vs ‘common usage’ situation, too.

As when someone says “it’s not the Union Jack, it’s the Union Flag”*.. (* which in any case for anyone who cares,  turns out also to be  inaccurate pedantry, soundly debunked by the Flag Institute.** (**And I know a thing or two about pedantry!)

Similar to how the Jack nickname pre-dates the invention of the jackstaff, the river arguably pre-dates the stadium 😋 Either way, it’s accurately the river end in speech, if not actually the River End on paper…

If the dictionary were frozen, rather than changing with words as actually used, we might be stuck with speaking the contents of Johnson’s 1755 effort - e.g.

Cana'ry. n.s.  [from the Canaryislands.] Wine brought from the Canaries; sack.

Fan. n.s.  [vannus, Latin.]
1. An instrument used by ladies to move the air and cool themselves.
2. Any thing spread out like a woman’s fan into a triangle with a broad base. 
3. The instrument by which the chaff is blown away when corn is winnowed. 
4. Any thing by which the air is moved; wings.
5. An instrument to raise the fire.

^ inadvertent evidence for the historic connection between us lot + whining air movement

16 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Actually he is a long standing season ticket holder who does lots of careful research - check out his other Lost Norwich videos including the one about Newmarket Road and The Nest.  He doesn't take the **** with his use of the George Plunkett Archive as he has the family's permission to use it and as far as I'm aware usually credits this in each of his videos.  You obviously haven't got a clue about the guy himself but I don't expect you to respond well to criticism either!

My comments are based on what I see and I make no claim to know him.

I would have thought that a fan would know that the conversion of the South Stand to seats was not from the 1990s (electronic scoreboard? segregation?). Clearly I was wrong.

And as I stated, there is a difference between a clear on-screen credit (every image from "Norfolk County Council") and one buried at the end (Plunkett). 

If I had messed up dates (or just used online materials without diligent checking) I would insert a correction or edit the video. Mr Atken's response is to point to the things he got right!

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The sale of Reeves did i think help to finance the new stand. But I also remember buying some sort of bond that gave me first choice on seats. Which I'm sure is how I ended up with middle block row A upstairs. 

At least that's how I remember it😂

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

At least that's how I remember it😂

Ah, there was some kind of bond now I think about it - yes thanks for reminding me, my brain needs a very big defrag to draw out the finer parts of such things! But the bulk was paid for by Reeves' sale!

21 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ah, there was some kind of bond now I think about it - yes thanks for reminding me, my brain needs a very big defrag to draw out the finer parts of such things! But the bulk was paid for by Reeves' sale!

Might that have been Club 101?

IFIRC it was a posh seat, with a standalone bar, for an above-ST cost.  [Associate Director, version 1.0?]   Not sure if it was ever redeemable ('bond') though.

Posted (edited)

John Atkins videos on Norwich are well worth a watch.👍

The one of the Norwich ring road from the 1930's is an eye opener regarding how much building has gone on over the last century

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2

John Atkins who runs this YouTube channel is a good mate of mine and produces some excellent Lost Norwich videos. I was about to post the link but you beat me to it. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

On 19/04/2024 at 09:37, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The River End has always been the River End as far as I am concerned, except when it became "The Reeves Stand", Riverside is a different thing altogether..........

I always classed Riverside as where Squares was, River End was the stand behind the goal 

• Like 1

For the purposes of good order this is what Bobzilla posted in the thread about getting tickets for the Binner game .

The “Riverside” and the well known “Other End” . 

IMG_2470.jpeg

• Like 2