Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Are there any domestic teams you actually like?

1 hour ago, C.I.D said:

Leeds ............lovely club with lovely supportersĀ šŸ¤®

I was a one-time Leeds season ticket holder when I was at University there, but these days I dont even like them!

Overseas I like Nantes - the French Canaries. They've won the French league about seven times but are now a shadow of their former glory. Got an important win yesterday which may help keep them in Ligue 1.

In Germany, I like Mainz. Gutenberg and all that. And they've done very well over a decade for such a relatively small town. Also in danger of relegation this season, though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I still play football manager at the age of 42. I dont normally take job offers, but having raised a minnow in Spain and getting a bit bored I said Id take a top job in England if offered. But then found myself frowning at the idea of managing any of England's top clubs, whereas an Inter Milan or something would be a no brainer.

I ended up taking the Tottenham job but sacked it off because, well, managing Tottenham...

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

Barnet. Mate is a big fan. So seen them a couple of times. There's a good chance they'll get to a wembley final this year so I could have two days out there!

Mulbarton. I grew up there, parents still live there so go and see them a few times a year.

There are a few teams I dislike. Most premier league teams for various reasons. But most other teams I'm just indifferent to.Ā 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I still play football manager at the age of 42. I dont normally take job offers, but having raised a minnow in Spain and getting a bit bored I said Id take a top job in England if offered. But then found myself frowning at the idea of managing any of England's top clubs, whereas an Inter Milan or something would be a no brainer.

I ended up taking the Tottenham job but sacked it off because, well, managing Tottenham...

I'm very much the same, hate managing teams in England on there unless I've managed to get a national league side up the pyramid.Ā 

My old go to was FC saarbrucken, German 3rd tier ( even got one of their shirts because of the investment I put into that particular save šŸ¤£ )Ā 

IMG_20240415_140631239_HDR.jpg

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

York City, enjoyed going to watch them when visiting that beautiful place. Went to watch Roma too on their penultimate home match when they last won the league in 2001. Double sold our seats though so sat in the gangway with many others.Ā 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Inverness Caledonian Thistle - guess I have a soft spot for an underdog team

Talking of underdogs and foreign teams ( sort of ) Iā€™ve acquired a taste for Fort William. Standing in the shadow of Ben Nevis their tiny ground is often said to be in one of the most picturesque locationsĀ in Britain. That said the weatherā€™s so foul that half their matches are postponed so anyone wanting to tick it off a ā€˜ been there done that ā€˜ listĀ will be lucky to find the match still on.

They were members of the HighlandĀ League for some years but a perpetual basket case team finishing bottom so often that in season 20/21 they forfeited a relegation Play Off match and now reside in the North Caledonian League. Thankfully their overall form has improved and they win games but theyā€™re still prone to some fearful hammerings.

In our days in the Nelson post-match me, Nutty and others talked about making a pilgrimage up there one day.Ā Ā Of course itā€™s never going to happen but the Fort Supporters ( Norwich Branch ) is something I suppose.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I guess Id have to say Burton Albion. Again not that I like them, but it's my hometown club, what you gonna do?

Beers to die for.

Theyā€™re not called the Brewers for nothing.

42 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I guess Id have to say Burton Albion. Again not that I like them, but it's my hometown club, what you gonna do?

Burton were once my second team but havenā€™t followed them much recently, my dad was from Burton and I still have family thereĀ 

now I follow Luton town having lived and worked in Luton for 20 or so yearsĀ 

I used to work for Stevenage fc but have no real connection with them , however theyā€™ve had a decent seasonĀ 

just recently looked out for Exeter results as I listen to a podcast relating to thatĀ 

abroad, been to see Dortmund a few timesĀ 

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Plenty of foreign clubs I like, but I find it hard to identify one other English team that I actually like?

I like AFC Wimbledon.

Well and truly sold down the river by the FA, absolutely disgusting how they were treated, lets never forget that Wimbledon never went bankrupt or enter administration, they got bought out by somebody who moved them from London to Milton Keynes. At that time, before the change in the rules, that could have happened to any club. For that reason they deserved the solidarity that was shown nationally.

Their fans decided that wasn't the end of Wimbledon and have built a new Wimbledon from scratch, who now play in a 9215 capacity stadium in the Wimbledon district that the club owns, how can you knock that? They really proved that no club is bigger than its fans, or that fans are what make a club.

Currently in the same division as MK Dons too.Ā 

In 2007 when MK Dons handed back the trophies win by Wimbledon FC to the London Borough of Merton I really felt that they should drop 'Dons' from their name also. They should really be Milton Keynes FC or Milton Keynes Town.Ā 

• Like 4

Hallam FC - destined because of their sloping ground (oldest football ground still in existence - see picture) never to play above level 8 in the pyramid, but have a set up to rival everyone at that level, currently enjoying attendances between 500 and 1,100.

SandygateĀ is aĀ footballĀ andĀ cricketĀ stadium in theĀ SheffieldĀ suburbĀ ofĀ Crosspool,Ā South Yorkshire, England. It is home toĀ Hallam F.C.Ā andĀ Hallam C.C.

1000px-Hallam_FC_pano.jpg

First opened in 1804, Hallam F.C. have played at the ground since 1860. Sandygate has been recognised by theĀ Guinness Book of RecordsĀ as the "Oldest Football Ground in the World".[3]Ā On 26 December 1860, the world's first inter-club football match was played at the ground, Hallam taking onĀ Sheffield F.C.

The ground offers viewing for spectators from 3 sides of the pitch, the Shed End, the Main Stand and the Cricket Net End.

Followed (remotely) by Attleborough Town FC, my home town team, who have been struggling on late.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Hallam FC - destined because of their sloping ground (oldest football ground still in existence - see picture) never to play above level 8 in the pyramid, but have a set up to rival everyone at that level, currently enjoying attendances between 500 and 1,100.

SandygateĀ is aĀ footballĀ andĀ cricketĀ stadium in theĀ SheffieldĀ suburbĀ ofĀ Crosspool,Ā South Yorkshire, England. It is home toĀ Hallam F.C.Ā andĀ Hallam C.C.

1000px-Hallam_FC_pano.jpg

First opened in 1804, Hallam F.C. have played at the ground since 1860. Sandygate has been recognised by theĀ Guinness Book of RecordsĀ as the "Oldest Football Ground in the World".[3]Ā On 26 December 1860, the world's first inter-club football match was played at the ground, Hallam taking onĀ Sheffield F.C.

The ground offers viewing for spectators from 3 sides of the pitch, the Shed End, the Main Stand and the Cricket Net End.

Followed (remotely) by Attleborough Town FC, my home town team, who have been struggling on late.

Whenever I see Hallam mentioned, either the football team, university or just to describe the area, I can't help but think about the time they voted Jared O'Mara to become their MP, proving that old adage that you can pin a red rosette on a monkey and it would win in some parts of the country.

A couple of weeks later this interview was posted and it became abundantly clear that they had made a huge mistake, chain smoking and quite clearly hungover or on some sort of comedown.

Jared Oā€™Mara MP Sheffield, Hallam about Music and Politics (Part One) - YouTube

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Arsenal, Southampton and Charlton Athletic.Ā 

I can't like Arsenal, partly due to Spurs supporting parents, but mostly due to having an ex-colleague who was an absolute Arsenal obsessive!Ā 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I hate everyone else....just depends on what scale

Start with 1) Ipswich...2)Liverpool and work downwards...

Should add Wolves (Muscat) to that list... Possibly Everton (Rooney - you fat b******)

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:
2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I've had a soft spot for Man Utd

reported

Objection...Ā  Hearsay!

*Hides tattoos*

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Whenever I see Hallam mentioned, either the football team, university or just to describe the area, I can't help but think about the time they voted Jared O'Mara to become their MP, proving that old adage that you can pin a red rosette on a monkey and it would win in some parts of the country.

A couple of weeks later this interview was posted and it became abundantly clear that they had made a huge mistake, chain smoking and quite clearly hungover or on some sort of comedown.

Jared Oā€™Mara MP Sheffield, Hallam about Music and Politics (Part One) - YouTube

For those who can't watch this, this was one of the most bizarre MP votes ever;Ā if he had represented the Raving Loony Party he wouldn't have looked out of place.

O'Mara was a DJ at one of the worst of the cheap student dives on West St (called West St Live, natch) in the years leading up to selection. I can only think him and his mates just woke up coked to high heaven one morning and thought it would be a laugh to nominate one of them for role of Labour candidate.

Up to that point it was Nick Clegg's constituency.Ā I think Labour never really thought they would shift him, so didn't want to waste a good candidate taking him on. Probably having sobered up O'Mara got through the selection process on a minorities & disabled candidate ticket (he has a minor form of cerebral palsy and could be quite persuasive if he put his mind to it). The student vote (Hallam is a constituency with a mix of the very richest in the country, a lot of student "villages" and many lecturers) decided anyone was better thanĀ CleggĀ and a lot of them recognised O'Mara from that club soĀ they voted en masse for him.Ā Once an MP, stories of female students being verbally abused by him from behind the decks emerged, Labour sacked him,Ā and he seemed to forget about politics and reverted to drug taking big style.

His interview with my mate James Vincent at the height of the scandal when he was high on coke and champagne was pure car crash TV. Poor all round.

And now O'Mara languishes in prison having been found guilty of fraud by squanderingĀ most of his MP's pay and expenses on cocaine.Ā 

• Like 3

Itā€™s hard not to like Manchester City. Their meteoric rise from the third tier to dominant force is quite remarkable. It also shows what can be done with a bit of vision and ambition. To not only catch United but usurp them as the ā€œteam to beatā€ must be so sweet for their fans, who, it should be added, all had season tickets in division 3 and havenā€™t just sprung out of the woodwork at the first hint of success.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Talking of underdogs and foreign teams ( sort of ) Iā€™ve acquired a taste for Fort William. Standing in the shadow of Ben Nevis their tiny ground is often said to be in one of the most picturesque locationsĀ in Britain. That said the weatherā€™s so foul that half their matches are postponed so anyone wanting to tick it off a ā€˜ been there done that ā€˜ listĀ will be lucky to find the match still on.

They were members of the HighlandĀ League for some years but a perpetual basket case team finishing bottom so often that in season 20/21 they forfeited a relegation Play Off match and now reside in the North Caledonian League. Thankfully their overall form has improved and they win games but theyā€™re still prone to some fearful hammerings.

In our days in the Nelson post-match me, Nutty and others talked about making a pilgrimage up there one day.Ā Ā Of course itā€™s never going to happen but the Fort Supporters ( Norwich Branch ) is something I suppose.

Ah, the good old Nelson days!

I'll put Fort William FC on my places to visit and when I get there, I'll raise a dram to you both!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Itā€™s hard not to like Manchester City. Their meteoric rise from the third tier to dominant force is quite remarkable. It also shows what can be done with a bit of vision and ambition. To not only catch United but usurp them as the ā€œteam to beatā€ must be so sweet for their fans, who, it should be added, all had season tickets in division 3 and havenā€™t just sprung out of the woodwork at the first hint of success.Ā 

Agreed. The same is true of the current Wrexham team. Going about their business quietly and building their way through the leagues, without making a huge fuss; supported by a fanbase whoā€™ve been behind them forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I'm very much the same, hate managing teams in England on there unless I've managed to get a national league side up the pyramid.Ā 

My old go to was FC saarbrucken, German 3rd tier ( even got one of their shirts because of the investment I put into that particular save šŸ¤£ )Ā 

IMG_20240415_140631239_HDR.jpg

Ā 

I managed Cisco Roma and Palermo and very much wanted one of their shirts!

5 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Burton were once my second team but havenā€™t followed them much recently, my dad was from Burton and I still have family thereĀ 

Whereabouts? Do you know?

5 hours ago, shefcanary said:

For those who can't watch this, this was one of the most bizarre MP votes ever;Ā if he had represented the Raving Loony Party he wouldn't have looked out of place.

O'Mara was a DJ at one of the worst of the cheap student dives on West St (called West St Live, natch) in the years leading up to selection. I can only think him and his mates just woke up coked to high heaven one morning and thought it would be a laugh to nominate one of them for role of Labour candidate.

Up to that point it was Nick Clegg's constituency.Ā I think Labour never really thought they would shift him, so didn't want to waste a good candidate taking him on. Probably having sobered up O'Mara got through the selection process on a minorities & disabled candidate ticket (he has a minor form of cerebral palsy and could be quite persuasive if he put his mind to it). The student vote (Hallam is a constituency with a mix of the very richest in the country, a lot of student "villages" and many lecturers) decided anyone was better thanĀ CleggĀ and a lot of them recognised O'Mara from that club soĀ they voted en masse for him.Ā Once an MP, stories of female students being verbally abused by him from behind the decks emerged, Labour sacked him,Ā and he seemed to forget about politics and reverted to drug taking big style.

His interview with my mate James Vincent at the height of the scandal when he was high on coke and champagne was pure car crash TV. Poor all round.

And now O'Mara languishes in prison having been found guilty of fraud by squanderingĀ most of his MP's pay and expenses on cocaine.Ā 

Is the link I shared the interview with your mate James Vincent, or is that another one that I could seek out for my own amusement?

I believe they also found lots of old misogynistic forum posts from some old Sheffield music forum, shortly after he was elected, and that these would have been easy to find if Labour had bother vetting him before giving him the candidacy.Ā 

Cambridge Utd for me. SawĀ a few gamesĀ  at the Abbey Stadium late 60s before Norwich stole my heart. Wroxham and before them Hoveton in the good old days of the Anglian Combination

My dislike of West Ham has led to a fondness for Leyton Orient.Ā  Ā Quite outrageous that West Ham be given the Olympic Stadium for pretty much nothing placing themĀ about one mile from Brisbane Road.Ā  Kids in their catchment area inevitably support the Premier League team, jeopardising the future of the club. Hammers fans then have the audacity to moan about the layout of the stadium.Ā 

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

now I follow Luton town having lived and worked in Luton for 20 or so yearsĀ 

I used to work for Stevenage fc but have no real connection with them , however theyā€™ve had a decent seasonĀ 

just recently looked out for Exeter results as I listen to a podcast relating to thatĀ 

abroad, been to see Dortmund a few timesĀ 

Researching my family tree I have ancestors that left Norfolk to live in Burton and work in the brewing industry. I believe I still have relatives still living in Burton...............

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Researching my family tree I have ancestors that left Norfolk to live in Burton and work in the brewing industry. I believe I still have relatives still living in Burton...............

Yeah Iā€™ve had that connection between norfolk and burton too as you say probably due to the brewingĀ 

Shamrock Rovers, Athletic Bilbao, Bayern Munich, Bari, Ajax.

The young lad supports Wellington Phoenix over in New Zealand.