JonnyJonnyRowe

Placheta/Springett/Forshaw

I know there are people arguing that we should have kept Idah, and that one has been done to death.

But do we think we'd have been any better off if we'd kept any of these three until the end of the season?

I don't rate any of them and none of them have done anything of note since leaving, but you have to perhaps say that Placheta might have been useful to have around with Rowe and Onel out injured when you look at how little Wagner has been left to play with on the bench?

• Like 1

No. I’m just surprised we didn’t bring in one Loan player to replace them (in terms of squad bodies) with maybe a bit of quality and a point to prove to give another option. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I know there are people arguing that we should have kept Idah, and that one has been done to death.

But do we think we'd have been any better off if we'd kept any of these three until the end of the season?

I don't rate any of them and none of them have done anything of note since leaving, but you have to perhaps say that Placheta might have been useful to have around with Rowe and Onel out injured when you look at how little Wagner has been left to play with on the bench?

You've answered your own question. 

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I agree with you that out of the 3 Placheta might have been worth keeping for impact off the bench, but of course we couldn't have known then that both Rowe and Onel would get injured at the same time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I agree with you that out of the 3 Placheta might have been worth keeping for impact off the bench, but of course we couldn't have known then that both Rowe and Onel would get injured at the same time. 

As per, Placheta is currently injured too

Posted (edited)

IMO, the bigger issue is Wagner’s determination not to play SVH, Aboh etc  

Wagner made it clear in his post match on Tuesday that he didn’t agree with the decision to slim down the squad or let Placheta/Springett/Forshaw go.  So it would seem he’s now stubbornly not playing Knapper’s new signing (SVH) or the academy players.

Edited by Kingston Yellow
  • Like 1

The fact that these three were anywhere near our squad and we actually gave them minutes on the pitch was a contributory factor to our poor form earlier in the season. We're better without them, but it shows how poor the squad management has been. We've got a decent first 11 but no depth and, like @Monty13 says, we should have brought in at least one loan to provide an opinion in the wide areas. 

Placheta;

Decent for some pace off of the bench but was never going to be good enough to be a starter and quite frankly was just never really that good

Springett; 

Did not see too much of him so don't want to judge too harshly but looked wayyy out of his depth and just did not look good enough for the championship 

Forshaw; 

Isaacs Hayden V2. Could be a decent player when fully fit but that was only once in a blue moon and was clearly a walking sick note 

1 hour ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Wagner made it clear in his post match on Tuesday that he didn’t agree with the decision to slim down the squad or let Placheta/Springett/Forshaw go.  So it would seem he’s now stubbornly not playing Knapper’s new signing (SVH) or the academy players.

Yes, this doesn't bode well for his longer term future here. That he's already in the press moaning about the new SD's January strategy suggests he's unlikely to be here past the end of the season.

I think the wider subject here is that most people thought the above 3 players werent good enough and were pleased to see them shipped out. The lack of cover brought in was incredibly poor, as you can see a couple of injuries would derail our playoff push almost instantly. It also highlights the pressure on the starting 11 as our bench is either unproven, not match fit or youth players. We really shouldnt be in that position, nor any club for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Maybe he’s “stubbornly” not playing SVH because he’s no better than Placheta, Springsteen or Forshaw?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe he’s “stubbornly” not playing SVH because he’s no better than Placheta, Springsteen or Forshaw?

I know SVH hasn't looked great but I'm not sure a 74 year old rock musician would be better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know SVH hasn't looked great but I'm not sure a 74 year old rock musician would be better.

It's Placheta who was born to run, anyway.

• Haha 1

David; just play some of the youngsters from 75 minutes on, to give someone from the first 11 a rest, to give the opposition something else to think about and to give the youngsters a chance to show you and us what they can do.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Oops! Although thinking about it, it’s yet to be seen… 🤔

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

David; just play some of the youngsters from 75 minutes on, to give someone from the first 11 a rest, to give the opposition something else to think about and to give the youngsters a chance to show you and us what they can do.

He got slaughtered for his subs on Tuesday at Wednesday. If he’d put a couple of youngsters on and we had the same result, I can’t see the reaction would have been any better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

He got slaughtered for his subs on Tuesday at Wednesday. If he’d put a couple of youngsters on and we had the same result, I can’t see the reaction would have been any better.

But I would have at least had evidence to see whether his view on them was correct. I'm thinking of the reason for holding back Sainz earlier in the season ....

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

But I would have at least had evidence to see whether his view on them was correct. I'm thinking of the reason for holding back Sainz earlier in the season ....

Yes, but you put young subs on to see how they do for 20 minutes or so when the result is either in the bag or it doesn’t matter. We might be rueing those 2 points in a month’s time. ☹️

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Yes, but you put young subs on to see how they do for 20 minutes or so when the result is either in the bag or it doesn’t matter. We might be rueing those 2 points in a month’s time. ☹️

I refer back to my second argument m'lord.

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

to give the opposition something else to think about

I was delighted when Knapperwas appointed, now I'm not so sure.

Then again, I have no idea of the restraints he has been under, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

3 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

they should have been replaced... at least 2 players should have come in

But that comes back to the question - funded how? We’re in the Attanasio situation because we spent more money than we had, we really don’t want to make it worse.

Knapper’s role is long-term success. Gambling on a couple of loanees when - at the time - Wagner didn’t seem to be making us a serious promotion candidate would have been highly questionable. I can completely understand why his view was probably to batten down the hatches, carry on with what we’ve got, and then have root and branch changes once the season is over. 

58 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was delighted when Knapper was appointed, now I'm not so sure.

Then again, I have no idea of the restraints he has been under, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

i feel the same 

my worry is he was at Arsenal working his Notice then took over yet in all that time ( months )  all he could find was SVH ? ,

we had cut some wages with 3 players plus Idahs wages saved ,

i honestly thought that he would pull something out of the Bag for his first signing a statement of the future ,

not spending millions we didn't have but using those saved wages loaning someone useful at the very least ,

we can not afford to many SVH signings Recruitment is key for a club like us 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Yes, this doesn't bode well for his longer term future here. That he's already in the press moaning about the new SD's January strategy suggests he's unlikely to be here past the end of the season.

Managers are expected to take the flack for everything it often seems.

Agree doesn’t bode well for the future, but can’t really blame him especially when he’s basically been proved right.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I generally agree that you shouldn't throw players in before they're ready but I think there's plenty of evidence from the past 5/6 years here that throwing lads into the fire can be a good thing and they'll reward you greatly in return. Jamal Lewis was maybe 4 games into his senior career when he scored against Chelsea. Aarons made his league debut away at Ipswich when there was massive pressure on Farke, that same game Godfrey came on to play CB over Zimmermann. Omobamidele stepped in to the side with 8 games to go and thrived. Even last year Gibbs came into the side and looked good in that early spell. Jon Rowe had barely any minutes to his name before this season but he got the slightest chance and he took it completely.

Maybe the current young lads on the bench won't work out as well as those listed (there's plenty of examples of them too over the years). What you can guarantee though is they'll give it their all whatever chance they get, and who knows they might even do something special in that time.

• Like 1

Plenty of examples of young players who have swum can anyone think of any who have sunk? By being bloodied too soon? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Er.........er............er...........

So Wagner's job now is to sub on any young player that you think might have an impact just so that you can collect evidence as to whether they are in fact good enough.

Just for clarity - does this only apply to games staged in Sheffield? The North perhaps?

And if it turns out that Wagner's view formed from seeing them every day in training is correct and that they aren't actually good enough and we lose, then that's okay?

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

I think Placheta has done well at Swansea but as you say is injured. 

It’s cruel on Wagner in my opinion the guy options are to throw  players who you didn’t pick/ don’t rate or players who have never played first team football before into games which will dictate if he has a job next season.