Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Kieran’s hot property

If only lol

Manchester United have a concrete interest in appointing Ipswichmanager Kieran McKenna as their new boss. The Northern Irishman, 37, used to work at the club as an assistant coach under Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. (Football Insider)

All the signs are that he's something special. I think going up this season is crucial for Ipswich because if they don't, he'll be off. Even if the MU thing doesn't happen, which would he prefer: doing it all over again with Ipswich in the Champs, or having a shot at the PL at a club like Everton or Forest or Palace?

Without him, I doubt if they would struggle next season, but they are extremely unlikely to repeat the success of this one.

Look we may not like it but you have to admire what he has done down the A140 since he has been there, in conjunction with their American owners. In a short period of time they have come out the doldrums and become a  progressive football club with huge momentum. Sadly the polar opposite of what the higher echelons of our club have done, who in my opinion, have simply sat back and patted themselves on the back for updating a training ground that they had neglected for 20 years, and said look at us aren’t we brilliant and how dare you question us.

The bit the fans down the road seem to struggle with is that they think he has “bought into the project” at Ipswich and won’t leave them as he loves them. This is absolute bullsh*t and they are deluded (standard for Ipswich fans) if they don’t realise that they are just a stepping stone for McKenna and he will be off when the right job comes up at a bigger club. It’s only a matter of time. Like we learnt with Walker and Lambert, enjoy it while they are there as, if a manager has success at clubs like Norwich and Ipswich, someone higher up in the food chain will come and take him. 

let’s hope he doesn’t have a smile on his face come Saturday afternoon. OTBC 

• Like 3

He won't be their next manager. They might have a coaching role in mind for him, same as Gary O'Neill, who has been linkeed, but not with the managers role. Suspect they want continuity which means a high calibre assistant who is familiar with the English game and who might, a few years down the line, step up and into the top job.

McKenna will give Ipswich at least another season if they go up. Much like Lambert with us, his stock will be highest if he keeps them there-and with more points deductions looming for a few current Premier League teams, they've a chance. 

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

If only lol

Manchester United have a concrete interest in appointing Ipswichmanager Kieran McKenna as their new boss. The Northern Irishman, 37, used to work at the club as an assistant coach under Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. (Football Insider)

I can't see that, United would have to eat an awful lot of humble pie to hire a coach they let go as their next manager. They will still want a bigger name and/or somebody with top level management experience in my opinion. 

Brighton on the other hand is a real concern. It looks like De zerbi will be on his way and McKenna seems like an ideal fit for them on paper. I do agree with other posters that if we don't don't go up it will be really difficult to keep hold of him, but we shall see.

They are all up and coming until they are not, Lambert, Neil etc

The only reason I think this could maybe happen is that Jim Ratcliff apparently wants to make the club more British and thus a British manager makes sense. McKenna has a Man U connection, is up and coming and there aren't many British managers who feel on the rise right now.

Saying that it would be huge gamble to appoint a manager with no top flight experience, the fans would likely be underwhelmed and the pressure on him would be massive. Likely won't happen but I don't see it as impossible.

Mckenna has got a team performing together very much above their individual levels  ,

very much like Lambert but the next job will be the hardest as he will not have that team unit ,

ipswich have signed players for a role in the team instead of just individuals to fill a gap ,

his next job it will take time to get that the same as he has at Ipswich and big clubs do not give you the same time 

Reading the thread title, I thought McKenna was leaving 1p5wich to start presenting a rival to Homes Under the Hammer (after all, Dion Dublin has set a footballing precedent there).

Disappointed. ☹️

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Saying that it would be huge gamble to appoint a manager with no top flight experience, the fans would likely be underwhelmed and the pressure on him would be massive.

It's possible they've looked at what Arteta has done at Arsenal and considering that it may be a better option than previous attempts of bringing in managers with reputation.  McKenna is someone who can grow alongside the players brought in, and has plenty of experience as an assistant at United too, so he knows the pressure.

If an approach was to happen, it would be interesting to see what the ITFC owners would do to protect their ticket to the prem league.  For the sake of losing what they have, having to bring a new management team in and potentially go backwards - would they consider giving him a stake in the club, for example?

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Reading the thread title, I thought McKenna was leaving 1p5wich to start presenting a rival to Homes Under the Hammer (after all, Dion Dublin has set a footballing precedent there).

Disappointed. ☹️

I assumed it was to concentrate on a manslave-themed only fans site. Build a better reputation, leave the shame behind.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, king canary said:

The only reason I think this could maybe happen is that Jim Ratcliff apparently wants to make the club more British and thus a British manager makes sense. McKenna has a Man U connection, is up and coming and there aren't many British managers who feel on the rise right now.

Saying that it would be huge gamble to appoint a manager with no top flight experience, the fans would likely be underwhelmed and the pressure on him would be massive. Likely won't happen but I don't see it as impossible.

I've got a feeling that his parents might not be too chuffed to see him referred to as British, being Catholics from Northern Ireland.

Although British he is.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

3 hours ago, BlueHope76 said:

Brighton on the other hand is a real concern. It looks like De zerbi will be on his way and McKenna seems like an ideal fit for them on paper. I do agree with other posters that if we don't don't go up it will be really difficult to keep hold of him, but we shall see.

Brighton coach is probably one of the most attractive jobs in European football at the moment. I imagine they'll have a successor in mind to di Zerbi already, and they'll be looking at least one rung above the likes of McKenna, who is no doubt an excellent coach but has one good second-tier season on his CV at the moment. 

The one you should be relieved about is Palace.

Posted (edited)

Let's not forget that we had a manager who smashed the championship twice, but was never poached by a 'bigger' side, although we are a bigger club than Ipsquit.

One year getting their backsides pummelled week in week out may not do his reputation any favours, and he'll know that. Rob Edwards in my opinion has done a fantastic job, but they are going down, with credit. Vincent Kompany also going down, schools out. Heckingbottom, will probably resurface in the lower eschelons of the championship and won't get another PL job. Could be disasterous for their manager if he hangs around to be the whipping boy.

Edited by Thumbbass

I can't see he would turn down even being assistant at United if the new owners see him as the next manager. Its a whole different game in the EPL and how would their current squad cope with it?

It is interesting to watch, he has been really effective, and done it in a professional well organised way.  Showing lots of potential.  I think he will leave whether Ipswich are promoted or not.  His cache is unlikely to ever be higher.

i had been thinking he may go abroad, Rangers or possibly the a German side.  It would be a huge step to go to United and I doubt the fans would be very impressed.

Brilliant manager he may turn out to be in the medium to long term but there’s no way he’ll become manager of arguably the biggest club in the world with only two seasons experience, both of those outside the top flight.

33 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Brilliant manager he may turn out to be in the medium to long term but there’s no way he’ll become manager of arguably the biggest club in the world with only two seasons experience, both of those outside the top flight.

I thought he was already manager of the biggest club in the world? Or everyone’s second favourite or something. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Many parallels with Lambert - took a team that were far too big for the league they were in and got them promoted (which was the easy bit), then kept the momentum up and could do a back-to-back promotions with a team full of journeymen with one or two players of quality sprinkled in. The football is similar as well, massive focus on attack, a very fit team, last minute goals/never say die attitude and they're running through brick walls for him.

If McKenna gets them up it will be harder to do what Lambert did and keep them there purely because the gap is so huge now. His big test will come when he takes his next job or if he has to re-boot them after a Premier League relegation. He's still very early into his managerial career and he has proved nothing of note... yet.

But he's not really put a foot wrong either in fairness.

• Like 1