16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Better that Max Aarons.

Oooh, gonna get flacky for this spicy opinion..

He's really not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Six assists this season for Stacey. 

By comparison, Dimi has 4, Sam 1. Obviously from fewer games.

It’s his engine. Last minute of injury time today he carries the ball across the pitch and gets fouled. Always available . Top player 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Been our most consistent player over the 'whole' season.

Just behind McLean for me, but he's been an excellent signing for us for sure.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Better that Max Aarons.

Oooh, gonna get flacky for this spicy opinion..

The Aarons under Farke was better, but Dean Smith and though shalt not cross the halfway line killed his game.

14 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Six assists this season for Stacey. 

By comparison, Dimi has 4, Sam 1. Obviously from fewer games.

Assists? McCallum hits post in a game and Sara has tap in, Sam header yesterday will get him nothing. Tap a ball to a player who scores a 30 yarder and it's an assist,  stats mean nothing. But Stacey is doing well. 

You definitely have to take stats with a pinch of salt, or at least make sure you're using them to ask the right question. At the risk of triggering people, I'd imagine that expected assists are actually more useful, because you're right that the potential assister is dependent on what the guy he creates the chance for does. 

My favourite example of this was a brilliant goal we scored against Rotherham in the closed doors season. A fairly aimless ball from Kenny was turned into a perfect pass to Pukki by an outrageous dummy from Todd that took about three Rotherham players out of the game. I imagine Kenny got an assist. But it was Cantwell, by not touching the ball, that created the goal. 

So yeah,  @Sufyellow, totally take the point.  I was just struck by the fact that Sam has a reputation for being good going forward but only has one assist. You'd need more sophisticated stats to judge how unfair that is on him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh and by the way, @Sufyellow, just seen a couple of your other posts about people piling on McCallum. For the record,  I like him and think he's made real progress this season. Wasn't intending to join any kind of pile on.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You definitely have to take stats with a pinch of salt, or at least make sure you're using them to ask the right question. At the risk of triggering people, I'd imagine that expected assists are actually more useful, because you're right that the potential assister is dependent on what the guy he creates the chance for does. 

My favourite example of this was a brilliant goal we scored against Rotherham in the closed doors season. A fairly aimless ball from Kenny was turned into a perfect pass to Pukki by an outrageous dummy from Todd that took about three Rotherham players out of the game. I imagine Kenny got an assist. But it was Cantwell, by not touching the ball, that created the goal. 

So yeah,  @Sufyellow, totally take the point.  I was just struck by the fact that Sam has a reputation for being good going forward but only has one assist. You'd need more sophisticated stats to judge how unfair that is on him. 

Totally agree, stats just really wind me up. You can't judge a player that way. I am really finding it hard today people blaming him the first goal,  he is told to play that way, he can't run up and down the pitch like a robot. We got caught because for 10 minutes they couldn't get near us and most was going through him , if anything our other midfielders got over confident and pushed up instead of covering. He also stretches the pitch so much creating space for others . 

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Oh and by the way, @Sufyellow, just seen a couple of your other posts about people piling on McCallum. For the record,  I like him and think he's made real progress this season. Wasn't intending to join any kind of pile on.

Haven't seen it on here to be fair, just the usual people on X. I can't remember Hucks running down the wing then running back at 100 miles an hour. I know McCallum is meant to be a fullback but some fans need to see that is not how he is being told to play, and for the team it is working. 

56 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

To be fair, you just need to look at some of his crosses. McCallum can certainly cross a ball, that much is clear.

• Like 1

Physically he's every bit a PL player, he reminds me of Matty Cash in that he's an incredible athlete who can get up and down the pitch all day with pace and has really good ball carrying ability. What lets him down sometimes is his 1v1 defending and final ball obviously but if he were better at those two things he'd be a regular in the PL for a good team. He's not even really bad at those two things either he's got a decent amount of assists this season and players don't get round him that often but that's why he's playing in the Championship despite being really good in so many aspects. 

Hell of a signing to be fair though and if we do go up RB wouldn't be one of the areas where we'd immediately need an upgrade.  

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The Aarons under Farke was better, but Dean Smith and though shalt not cross the halfway line killed his game.

Aarons was good carrying the ball but the consitency of his delivery from wide areas once he'd got there was not as good as Stacey's.

I always said it's the one thing that if he could add, would make him top class.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, chicken said:

Aarons was good carrying the ball but the consitency of his delivery from wide areas once he'd got there was not as good as Stacey's.

I always said it's the one thing that if he could add, would make him top class.

Spot on👍💯. Stacey is a top man.

Edited by Mengo

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Whilst I do love a stat, even xA isn't always that useful.

Sainz laid two tap-ins for Sargent on a plate yesterday, but in both cases, Sargent didn't read the delivery and therefore didn't get on the end of them. Sainz should've got an xA of about 0.5 for each of those, maybe more for one of them, but I'm guessing that not only do they count as zero for xA, they also go down as unsuccessful crosses.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, you just need to look at some of his crosses. McCallum can certainly cross a ball, that much is clear.

Yep , a great cross to barnes which unfortunately he handled,  he plays as more of a winger , so he definitely needs someone covering. 

18 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Been our most consistent player over the 'whole' season.

Nope.

Controversially has to be Kenny or even Sarge. 

31 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Nope.

Controversially has to be Kenny or even Sarge. 

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just behind McLean for me, but he's been an excellent signing for us for sure.

McLean was as bad as anyone ,if not worse in the first third of the season ....particularly the dark days of sept-nov, where he was cuplable in a wide open midfield being carved apart resulting in our having the woest defence in the league at one point,shipping 2 a game. That only ended when he was taken out and put into defence.

Stacey was still relatively consistent even in those bleak months.

If our upturn in form has conincided with Sargents return and we're looking at that as a 'starting point' whrn handing out POTS awards,he's as good a shout as any ,as is Sara and Gunn

...but for a consistent performer from Aug - now ,I's still maintain Stacey

Selling Aaron’s for 7 million and replacing him with Stacey for free is a genius move. 

My issue with Aarons was always his lack of goals and assists. Stacey has 6 assists this season I would guess Aaron’s maybe only bettered this in 18/19.

Webber's got to deserve some credit for that move. Aarons had become a bit stale and whilst he was a model pro for us, it was time to move on. Stacey's replaced him well.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Webber's got to deserve some credit for that move. Aarons had become a bit stale and whilst he was a model pro for us, it was time to move on. Stacey's replaced him well.

Webber was great on a tight budget in the Championship, in the PL an absolute disaster. 

Stacey hasn't played for us in the Premier League yet, Max had. Should we go up then we can see just how good a defender he is.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

McLean was as bad as anyone ,if not worse in the first third of the season ....particularly the dark days of sept-nov, where he was cuplable in a wide open midfield being carved apart resulting in our having the woest defence in the league at one point,shipping 2 a game. That only ended when he was taken out and put into defence.

Stacey was still relatively consistent even in those bleak months.

If our upturn in form has conincided with Sargents return and we're looking at that as a 'starting point' whrn handing out POTS awards,he's as good a shout as any ,as is Sara and Gunn

...but for a consistent performer from Aug - now ,I's still maintain Stacey

McLean was one of our better performers during that run and the stats reinforce that. But I do remember you saying we didn't stand a chance of the playoffs if McLean played regularly 😉

I think Stacey has been really good though. I dont think he's a better player than Max but I think he's better for a team like us in this setup.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

McLean was one of our better performers during that run and the stats reinforce that. But I do remember you saying we didn't stand a chance of the playoffs if McLean played regularly 😉

I think Stacey has been really good though. I dont think he's a better player than Max but I think he's better for a team like us in this setup.

'better performers' 😄..our porous midfield was terrible in those months and he was front and centre in it, the nadir being Plymouth away and Blackburn home

Maybe his stint in defence has made him more defensively tactically aware.

Should also be noted that we are 20 pts off the top 3, so our midfield of today is clearly not as good as it was in this league 3 and 5 seasons ago?

Sargent being fit all season would have now had us a gyaranteed playoff place however I'm not sure that alone wouldve made up that shortfall