Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

Where is the statement from the club?

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But there is no suggestion that he is still working at or for the club. He is on gardening leave getting ready to risk his life climbing a mountain.

He's still contracted and even if he's on gardening leave is still representing the club in these interviews and is still subject to the club's code of conduct.

There will be a difference for the rest of his career in whether he exits this club by letting his contract run down or if he is sacked for gross misconduct

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Thought he was contracted to club until 31st March ?

25 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But there is no suggestion that he is still working at or for the club. He is on gardening leave getting ready to risk his life climbing a mountain.

Isn’t Mr Webber still technically an employee until 31st March ?

He is not entitled to give inflammatory interviews about people at that place of employment until after that date. Is his ego so huge that he couldn’t even wait until Monday 1st April ?

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He's still contracted and even if he's on gardening leave is still representing the club in these interviews and is still subject to the club's code of conduct.

There will be a difference for the rest of his career in whether he exits this club by letting his contract run down or if he is sacked for gross misconduct

No. All the reports treated him as no longer being connected to the club. Not one report suggested that he was in any way speaking on behalf of the club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No. All the reports treated him as no longer being connected to the club. Not one report suggested that he was in any way speaking on behalf of the club.

Reports may say that...but whilst he is still contracted he is still a representative of this club with his conduct.

If I was on gardening leave and made out of line comments ,my employers would still discipline me

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Isn’t Mr Webber still technically an employee until 31st March ?

It was reported on 7th Nov last year that he would officially leave his role on 11th Nov.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23906819.ben-knapper-accelerate-norwich-city-arrival-amid-poor-form/

New sporting director Ben Knapper will bring his Norwich City start date forward to Monday amid underperformance on the pitch. 

The 36-year-old was due to begin his role at Carrow Road later this month but has agreed to bring his start date forward as Norwich's slump down the Championship table continues after Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers. 

Stuart Webber, who was in Brazil on club business over the weekend, will officially depart his role on Saturday. 

Posted (edited)

Norwich City Football Club note the comments made in a recent media interview with the Eastern Daily Press by the club’s former sporting director, Stuart Webber.

The club would like to make it clear that some of the comments in this interview do not in any way reflect the wider views of the football club.

Following publication of the interview, club representatives have focused on speaking directly with Abu Kamara and Jonathan Rowe to understand their concerns and offer support. The club are also in the process of reaching out to the other named players, whilst also engaging in dialogue with Kick It Out.

Norwich City is a home for everyone. We remain committed in our work across equality, diversity and inclusion to create an environment where all can feel welcome and valued.

We will continue to work with The FA, Kick It Out and other authorities to help deliver a culture of inclusivity and belonging for our supporters, players and staff

Edited by If wed kept Howie..
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Norwich City Football Club note the comments made in a recent media interview with the Eastern Daily Press by the club’s former sporting director, Stuart Webber.

The club would like to make it clear that some of the comments in this interview do not in any way reflect the wider views of the football club.

Following publication of the interview, club representatives have focused on speaking directly with Abu Kamara and Jonathan Rowe to understand their concerns and offer support. The club are also in the process of reaching out to the other named players, whilst also engaging in dialogue with Kick It Out.

Norwich City is a home for everyone. We remain committed in our work across equality, diversity and inclusion to create an environment where all can feel welcome and valued.

We will continue to work with The FA, Kick It Out and other authorities to help deliver a culture of inclusivity and belonging for our supporters, players and staff

Wheres the part in which they mention Webber will be fined and sent to 50 hours of diversity training?

Seriously though good to see. Hope Webber hangs his head in shame.

1 minute ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

Simple, to the point, does the job.

I'm sure it won't be enough for some but it should be.

• Like 7

i spotted the hidden message:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

But he is no longer working for the club, and none of the reports I have seen in the national media regarded him as still being at the club. It was all "former" or "ex-".

I agree, but he is still contracted so I assume NCFC have some say in what he can say about his time here and presumably should have something in place in terms of NDA for when he’s not contracted. Would you not expect that? 

Also my point was more this isn’t something new he’s suddenly done since he’s off on gardening leave, he’s been putting his foot in it all throughout his tenure, you’d have thought someone would have spoken to him about it at some point as a senior manager reporting to the board.

I 100% get your stance, merely pointing out I’m not sure I agree nothing could have been done by the club during his tenure (and even now to a certain extent) to prevent him bringing the club into disrepute.

Edited by Monty13

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Simple, to the point, does the job.

I'm sure it won't be enough for some but it should be.

It’s exactly as it should be, my only issue would be I think this could have been published quicker IMO, before it even got to national news, simply because now it’s reactive rather than proactive. I presume The Pinkun made the club aware of the content in the interview.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It’s exactly as it should be, my only issue would be I think this could have been published quicker IMO, before it even got to national news, simply because now it’s reactive rather than proactive. I presume The Pinkun made the club aware of the content in the interview.

I genuinely was a bit concerned that, based on how our owners have talked about him before, they'd chuck in a line about the great work he's done here or knowing he's not the type of person so I'm glad we didn't. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This has nothing to do with any lack of corporate governance. Webber no longer works for the club and even if he'd said this when he did no amount of corporate governance would have prevented that.

Purps, I have a major contention with you on this for the first time ever on here I think.

Of course the issue is a failure of corporate governance.

He is still being paid by the club for the period to 31st March 2024 - effectively on gardening leave. It is good corporate governance in such states of affair to have a binding agreement with the departing employee to stay silent on all matters regarding his forming employer for at least that period, very usual for another 6 months or so afterwards, to distance him from the club.

Then, I am afraid, his wife has to be caught up in all this because of their relationship and also because she is Executive Director. You have to assume she knew about the interview in advance - if she didn't then that must put the marriage decidedly on shaky ground (but that's their matter). She should therefore have ensured if any interview took place, the boundaries over discussion were clearly set out and the club's press officer (or whomever) was present throughout in case issues were raised that might be controversial - or if not an agreement was in place to see a transcript of the interview before it was published.

As she is therefore implicated in this failure of corporate governance she should not participate in any further mitigation. That has to fall to her line manager, in this case the Board. However without a nominated Chair, the responsibility falls to the most senior members of that Board, namely Delia and Michael. 

Now you could say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but unfortunately the whole football world now has a view on this, it could also do massive harm to the Academy including threatening the club's category 1 status! 

Corporate Governance, what is the point?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Good statement, possibly a little late but says pretty much exactly what it needed to say.

It has no name to it though - for something of such importance it really should be have the Board signing it off at the very least. 

22 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Good statement, possibly a little late but says pretty much exactly what it needed to say.

Nope. Happened over a weekend and the players involved should be the first port of call. 

12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It has no name to it though - for something of such importance it really should be have the Board signing it off at the very least. 

It's a club statement, purely on that basis, the board will have seen it and okay'd it. It's a bigger issue than that though. I think it's splitting hairs at this point. The statement represents the entirety of the club, not just the board.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

Nope. Happened over a weekend and the players involved should be the first port of call. 

Yeah, when a said 'a little' I was only thinking of hours, really. Ideally it would have been out at 9am today. Completely agree the first priority is speaking to the players concerned.

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

It's a club statement, purely on that basis, the board will have seen it and okay'd it. It's a bigger issue than that though. I think it's splitting hairs at this point. The statement represents the entirety of the club, not just the board.

Agree 100% with that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Purps, I have a major contention with you on this for the first time ever on here I think.

Of course the issue is a failure of corporate governance.

He is still being paid by the club for the period to 31st March 2024 - effectively on gardening leave. It is good corporate governance in such states of affair to have a binding agreement with the departing employee to stay silent on all matters regarding his forming employer for at least that period, very usual for another 6 months or so afterwards, to distance him from the club.

Then, I am afraid, his wife has to be caught up in all this because of their relationship and also because she is Executive Director. You have to assume she knew about the interview in advance - if she didn't then that must put the marriage decidedly on shaky ground (but that's their matter). She should therefore have ensured if any interview took place, the boundaries over discussion were clearly set out and the club's press officer (or whomever) was present throughout in case issues were raised that might be controversial - or if not an agreement was in place to see a transcript of the interview before it was published.

As she is therefore implicated in this failure of corporate governance she should not participate in any further mitigation. That has to fall to her line manager, in this case the Board. However without a nominated Chair, the responsibility falls to the most senior members of that Board, namely Delia and Michael. 

Now you could say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but unfortunately the whole football world now has a view on this, it could also do massive harm to the Academy including threatening the club's category 1 status! 

Corporate Governance, what is the point?

Shef, I simpy don't see how the club can survive...

Yes, I am afraid I do rather think you are over-egging the (Yorkshire...) pudding here! And also making some assumptions about who knew what, or who should have known this, that and the other.

And I still do not see that this is damaging to the club, because I have yet to see anyone out there taking what Webber said as showing the club in a bad light. No-one out there is suggesting Norwich City has been guilty of racial stereotyping.

Even if Webber is still technically an employee - and this seems debatable - no-one out there is treating him as such. As A Load of Squit has pointed out, the FA not only do not regard Webber as being still connected to Norwich City, they don't even regard him as being currently connected to football in general.

I meant to add that since Webber is climbing to raise money for charity he might do well to diivert an amount towards Kick It Out or a similar body.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Posted (edited)

I’m a tad disappointed in Webbers coming out with anything this daft in the first place and give the club credit in its response today.

Sad that a guy who was so well thought of for the work he did in his first three years can make such a **** up of things on and off the filed! Poor statement and really sad that at times, he certainly tends to engage his mouth before engaging his brain.

Edited by Indy

A somewhat limited statement and something they could have well done without for a man that is a complete liability and a complete PR disaster. 

This is what happens when you fail to act, so the club have reaped what they sowed with Webber. 

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And I still do not see that this is damaging to the club, because I have yet to see anyone out there taking what Webber said as showing the club in a bad light. No-one out there is suggesting Norwich City has been guilty of racial stereotyping.

The association (with SW in a very senior position within the club until recently) does reputational damage to the club even though he's no longer technically an employee. He was SD here for 6 years, and it needed to be made clear that this was an individual's personal views and not indicative of the culture within the club itself. That's why it was important they released a statement distancing themselves from what he said. To not do so would be to implicitly condone it. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Shef, I simpy don't see how the club can survive...

Yes, I am afraid I do rather think you are over-egging the (Yorkshire...) pudding here! And also making some assumptions about who knew what, or who should have known this, that and the other.

Even if Webber is still technically an employee - and this seems debatable - no-one out there is treating him as such. As A Load of Squit has pointed out, the FA not only do not regard Webber as being still connected to Norwich City, they don't even regard him as being currently connected to football in general.

I meant to add that since Webber is climbing to raise money for charity he might do well to diivert an amount towards Kick It Out or a similar body.

Have to say Purple, you're one of my favourite posters but I simply can't agree here. I think your points are specious. Norwich City FC is emblazoned against every image of him and in reference to his interview. The club also clearly felt they had to say something, which they have.

Maybe if I ever needed a defence lawyer I would be straight in touch with you because you'd make me feel better or that I had done nothing wrong! The technicality argument surely is not a great one to employ is it?  That misses the whole point somewhere for me but perhaps I'm responding to the emotions of the footballers who are upset by him rather than damage to our club. I believe damage has been done though. It is very sad we are even discussing it. Right in the middle of a final campaign run in too where we are fighting for a top six place. It is most unfortunate. Wish he had kept his mouth shut or at least waited til after the season. A lot of social media is trending with his name and Norwich City. Even Sky Sports and The Guardian. 

Edit: now ITV 

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2024-03-25/anti-racism-groups-slam-ignorant-comments-made-by-ex-sporting-director

Edited by sonyc

20 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Right in the middle of a final campaign run in too where we are fighting for a top six place.

Exactly. We should all be on here talking about the Plymouth game and trying to find out how serious Nunez's injury is. Instead we're bogged down in a psychodrama caused completely by this egotistic loudmouth who seems to think that the normal requirements of professionalism don't apply to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the blame for this latest fiasco must be laid at the feet of the majority shareowners. If, for example, Webber had been privately slapped down when he made his comment early in his time with us about our supporters taking their support elsewhere, and firmly told that these people were actually paying his salary and he should treat them with more respect, and also be more careful about any public statements he makes, perhaps he might not have become the utterly loose cannon that he is now. He has been indulged like a spoiled child and unsurprisingly his behaviour has grown worse and worse with each gaffe unpunished or even supported, so that he is now a total PR liability even when he is no longer our SD.

At least Smith has had the sense to keep her head below the parapet and not come out in support of him this time, but it wouldn't have surprised me if she had.

Shame the club couldn't have got this out earlier, possibly yesterday but otherthan that it's fine.

Pleased there is no attempt to justify or explain Webber's comments but rather distance itself from them. 

He's no longer our concern and should it finish his career in football then so be it.