cambridgeshire canary

Rowe; In jail if not for Webber?

7 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

It is already well established that Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis didn't come from "poverty", or live on some London sink estate. Max Aarons grew up in Milton Keynes, his dad a car salesman and his mum works in marketing, Max Aarons has already told The Times that his dad paid £70 an hour for personal coaching sessions to help his son make it in football, three times a week. 

Jamal Lewis grew up in Luton, his mum was and still is a professional Athletics coach, which is why Jamal Lewis had a realistic prospect of making it in athletics, and his dad is also long been involved in local youth sports coaching, his dad was the coach of his first ever youth football side. His high school is rated 'good' by Ofsted, it is the school attended by the current MP for Luton South.

And that's 40% of the players named as a starting point.

So if we're looking for the constants here, it isn't that they all grew up in broken homes on London sink estates like Milford Towers or the Aylesbury Estate. You are at risk of showing prejudice yourself really, by making the same sweeping assumption that because they happen to be young and black they must have come from deprived areas and lived below the poverty line, it seems that both came from happy, stable and comfortable upper-working or lower-middle class families. In fact by Webber's own accounts, both likely much better off than he was growing up in Aberystwyth!  

There's only one pattern I can spot in that list of five names, and that is that they are all black. Whether racism or not, the players should absolutely sue him, they are comments which could clearly been seen as disparaging, damage their reputations and as a result impact their possible opportunities and earning potential. If Webber is smart he'll apologise publicly and offer to make a donation to the charity of the players choosing to avoid litigation (Jamal Lewis actually founded his own charity, I hope he doesn't settle for a donation of less than £10k).

I thought Aaron’s was at Luton, and his parents split up when he was a kid? Think his dad was still involved but I remember reading him recall how he’d often find his mum crashed out on the sofa after working all hours to pay the bills. Not saying he lived in poverty but I don’t think it was the middle class existence you’re portraying either 

7 hours ago, The Bunny said:

These comments sum up his main character flaws perfectly:

1. He is a bigot. We saw this previously with his dismissive comments on the women's team. 

2. His comments to the media are a total liability 

3. He has a massive ego, the same massive ego that utterly destroyed our last premier league season after he wrongly assumed he could easily replace our two best players, sending the club into a downward spiral. 

Even if you think these comments weren't racist, they showed a massive degree of insensitivity, not just to the players themselves, but to young black footballers generally. Prospective employers may not look kindly on such comments. 

At this rate he'll end up being a mercenary taking money from regimes where they don't care much about this, or even like it. Stuart Webber, coming to Russia/China/Iran/Israel soon. 

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

Again, learn to read. I'm not defending his comments, just pointing out he isn't a racist and actually "does actions" to back that up.

You don’t know him to know he’s not a racist. There was certainly a racial stereotype / thought process behind his commentary. Very odd that you’d suddenly leap to his defence to say he’s “categorically” not a racist. Very odd in general that you feel the need to defend him to such degrees. Very different from defending his transfer dealings, for example. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, S_81 said:

You don’t know him to know he’s not a racist. There was certainly a racial stereotype / thought process behind his commentary. Very odd that you’d suddenly leap to his defence to say he’s “categorically” not a racist. Very odd in general that you feel the need to defend him to such degrees. Very different from defending his transfer dealings, for example. 

I was prepared to give Webber the benefit of the doubt as I assumed that for him to be confident to come out with this statement , his position meant that he had inside knowledge about these 5 players upbringings and backgrounds.

That was blown out of the water by the comments yesterday by Aarons' and Lewis' mothers.

Its indefensible

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 6

The Pinkun tweets been deleted, they’ve replaced it with a tweet saying they don’t support discrimination, which in itself makes it clear the comment was discriminatory, at least from their perspective.

People are questioning why they posted it in the first place, which I find odd. Journalists job is to print what is said, hiding what he said would be doing him a favour he doesn’t deserve. The failure if there is one, and maybe we’ll find out more when the whole interview is released, is potentially failing to challenge him on what he said not publishing it.

Dear Stu doing his future employment chances no good at all. His comments rightly receiving criticism in a number of national newspapers today. About time that mouth of his landed him in hot water. The ego on the man can’t remain unchecked like it was by his bosses at Carrow Road. 

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ah yes, that old chestnut , feeling sorry Stu. You are an unfortunate lost soul just now , aren't you. Would you say , it's self inflicted,  probably not.!!!!!@bigego.com. 

Former Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber is said to be "gutted" after comments he made about his charity sparked a racism row. 

Did Webber say something racist? 100%.

Is Webber actually a racist? No-body on here really knows, even those who have met him and maybe even stroked his hand.

But I think we can now definitely confirm, for anyone who was still in any doubt, that Mr Webber is an absolute bell-end.

We should thank our lucky stars we are rid of this toxic individual and now have a sporting director who can maintain a degree of professionalism that was clearly beyond his egocentric predecessor.

OTBC

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

The Pinkun tweets been deleted, they’ve replaced it with a tweet saying they don’t support discrimination, which in itself makes it clear the comment was discriminatory, at least from their perspective.

People are questioning why they posted it in the first place, which I find odd. Journalists job is to print what is said, hiding what he said would be doing him a favour he doesn’t deserve. The failure if there is one, and maybe we’ll find out more when the whole interview is released, is potentially failing to challenge him on what he said not publishing it.

As I hinted at in an earlier post, pressure applied by the club, using access to officials, lead to the tweet being withdrawn. 

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

As I hinted at in an earlier post, pressure applied by the club, using access to officials, lead to the tweet being withdrawn. 

I think that's unlikely when it's still in the articles.

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

now have a sporting director who can maintain a degree of professionalism that was clearly beyond his egocentric predecessor.

OTBC

I mean, is this the only requirement? If Knapper takes us to League One it's OK because he was more commercially professional?

I would be talking about how lucky we are yet, especially taking his first signing into account.

Posted (edited)

...so, Webber has apoligized to the 5 players and their families

..but to have come out with that statenent in the first place ,he must believe it to be true?

Will he actually come out and say he has got this wrong...or does he still believe it to be the case?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Posted (edited)

This is the flip side to the racial identity politics coin. Here Weber is applying a characteristic to a whole group of people. In this case alluding to the narrative that young black men are all potential jailbirds

It is of course a racist narrative as is the whole critical race theory movement and why we shouldn't fall for the inherent racism that runs through it.  People should be seen as individuals. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

You'll always find exceptions to broad rules like Kano, but the link between poverty and poorer outcomes (or indeed criminal activity) is pretty well established, as is the link between lower levels of schooling and poorer life outcomes. Heck, plenty of footballers who did make it don't always stay prosperous after retirement despite making far more money than many of us would. 

Increased poverty increases crime, increased education reduces crime. If Webber's a "moron", then anyone who doesn't know this is sofa king wee tarred head.

That would be relevant if Webber was drawing a generalised point about poverty and crime. I don't think anybody would be quibbling if he'd said 'some of these kids I've worked with may have ended up in jail without football.' 

However...he specifically named 5 players, all of whom are black. So the statistical links between poverty and crime aren't what he's talking about - he's talking about specific people all of whom have one specific trait in common. 

Edited by king canary
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Did Webber say something racist? 100%.

Is Webber actually a racist? No-body on here really knows, even those who have met him and maybe even stroked his hand.

But I think we can now definitely confirm, for anyone who was still in any doubt, that Mr Webber is an absolute bell-end.

We should thank our lucky stars we are rid of this toxic individual and now have a sporting director who can maintain a degree of professionalism that was clearly beyond his egocentric predecessor.

OTBC

Well said DDJ, although I'm a little bit dissapointed in your lack of semi-colon usage. So for the record, I have added one now.

But I think we can now definitely confirm, for anyone who was still in any doubt, that Mr Webber is an absolute bell-end ; or could also be identified as an absolute Baw-Bag. I'm sure the cap fits🤣👍.

• Haha 1

Could Stuart Webber make me any more right at this rate?

He’s one step away from holding a press conference declaring I was right all along.

• Haha 2

I presumed all young players got media training nowadays - presumably Webber could have sat in on a few sessions?  This isn’t going to help him back into employment.

Zoe always comes across as very hard working and professional, he doesn’t have to look far to see how to behave. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think that's unlikely when it's still in the articles.

I mean, is this the only requirement? If Knapper takes us to League One it's OK because he was more commercially professional?

I would be talking about how lucky we are yet, especially taking his first signing into account.

Marley Watkins was Webbers first signing, let’s give Knapper some time maybe.

To be fair Watkins was signed on a free and later sold for £1m.

SVH seems less suitable than Marley was.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

And was it Ben Marshall second ?

No Marshall was 2018. There were a lot of signings in 2017, some players who became staples to be fair but also a lot of crap, was pretty 50/50.

53 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Marley Watkins was Webbers first signing, let’s give Knapper some time maybe.

We made money on Watkins, to be fair.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We made money on Watkins, to be fair.

I doubt that when you include, agent fees, signing on fees and wages. Didn’t lose much is more likely which isn’t a bad return anyway for a punt.

The point being he was a total flop as a player so judging Knapper on one signing (that’s just a loan anyway) is really premature.

Edited by Monty13

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The club should not be getting involved. Or is he still working out his notice? 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Too late anyway, already seen it reported on in national press and Sky Sports.

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

2 days ago. Webber handed over to Ben Knapper in November last year, calling time on six-and-a-half years in charge of the Canaries’ football strategy, but officially departs next week at the end of his notice period. So there you go. The bawbag has landed again. Take that , for a parting gift from big Stu ,the ultimate ego. How embarrassing for Norwich City. 

39 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What they should be doing is distancing themselves from his comments. A simple statement would usually be expected not getting tweets pulled, story’s already out there.

On 23/03/2024 at 13:37, hogesar said:

Stuart Webber isn't racist and has obviously done a lot for several charities over time that help out multiple communities including young black children.

I mean he's been very clumsy with his wording and its 2024 so it'll now be a couple of weeks of continual anger and people accusing him of being a racist so I assume he will have to come out and clarify a few things.

Here you go again. Very very weird. To the point that your defence of him seems a bit too personal. Either an alias, a friend, or an obsession.