Sign in to follow this  
Far East Anglian

Everywhere Chant

49 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If our fans really are going to take this on, lets hope we're more in tune than when Man City fans sing it....which is toe curlingly painful to listen to !

Believe me, our version was awful yesterday, mentioned it on another thread. Worst thing was that they were singing the wrong notes-I know that not everyone can sing, but for everybody to be so out of tune is unbelievable 😳

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Believe me, our version was awful yesterday, mentioned it on another thread. Worst thing was that they were singing the wrong notes-I know that not everyone can sing, but for everybody to be so out of tune is unbelievable 😳

They were singing the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They were singing the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

Was going to type this, thought I'd check the thread before I did, and you beat me to it.

Amusingly, in German they also have a direct translation of the phrase "great minds think alike", but as a counter, they also have a reverse version thrown back in conversation, so if you were to say "Grosse Geister denken gleich" ("great minds think alike" in German), you might get countered with "Zwei Dummen, ein Gedanke!" (Two idiots, one thought).

Wonder if they have that in French?

EDIT: Incidentally, when watching that match in Jena just before Christmas last year, they had a chant before the game started to the tune of "Sailing". That was always one of the odder songs to put a chant to, I thought.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Was going to type this, thought I'd check the thread before I did, and you beat me to it.

Amusingly, in German they also have a direct translation of the phrase "great minds think alike", but as a counter, they also have a reverse version thrown back in conversation, so if you were to say "Grosse Geister denken gleich" ("great minds think alike" in German), you might get countered with "Zwei Dummen, ein Gedanke!" (Two idiots, one thought).

Wonder if they have that in French?

EDIT: Incidentally, when watching that match in Jena just before Christmas last year, they had a chant before the game started to the tune of "Sailing". That was always one of the odder songs to put a chant to, I thought.

Millwall’s famous chant is to the tune of Sailing and they’ve been singing since the late 70s I think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Millwall’s famous chant is to the tune of Sailing and they’ve been singing since the late 70s I think.

I know, that's why I put the word "always" in there - especially when considering Millwall's reputation, a gentle-paced song about longing such as Sailing seems a bit incongruous anyway!

EDIT: Incidentally, Jena's goal music was the instrumental to Chelsea Dagger, by the Fratellis. Foot-stomper, definitely.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I know, that's why I put the word "always" in there - especially when considering Millwall's reputation, a gentle-paced song about longing such as Sailing seems a bit incongruous anyway!

They may have been Neanderthal racist thugs but those 70s skinhead hooligans understood the power of irony 🤣

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Let's just rewind...

It's a godawful song to start with from soft rock cocaine enthusiasts Fleetwood Mac.

I had the first album by the Clash on yesterday and thought the chorus to Bored with the USA could very easily be made into a chant

• Like 2

If I go back to Germany and this song - particularly the "Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da dam dam dam, da-da dam" bit - hasn't been turned into a chant or goal celebration....

(Gotta be Cologne, really - Miljö is one of their bands).

• Like 1

We can't even manage "Voulez vous" in tune - we've got no chance with "Everywhere" (as proved Saturday) 🤣

But at least fans are trying 👌

It would be great to have something original. Sargent’s on fire is embarrassing. Even USA,USA is better.

1 hour ago, NWC said:

We can't even manage "Voulez vous" in tune - we've got no chance with "Everywhere" (as proved Saturday) 🤣

But at least fans are trying 👌

I took me a long time to realise "Farke on a Horse" had anything to do with "Waterfall"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Let's just rewind...

It's a godawful song to start with from soft rock cocaine enthusiasts Fleetwood Mac.

One of the most erroneous statements I've ever seen on this forum.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I "heard" this at Stoke and couldn't work out what on earth was being sung? Just sounded like an almost  inaudible whisper?!?

Edited by rock bus

I have wondered this recently, apart from OTBC do we have any chants/songs unique to our fanbase? (Genuine interest and not a dig at our creativity!)

I think there have been some great chants this season (Salt n Pepa, Voulez Vous, that Sainz one...) but I've also heard them sung by the away fans and at other games (maybe not Salt n Pepa?).

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The English comeback is "fools seldom differ".

(What a great word 'seldom' is. I seldom use it and vow to do so more in future.)

I was at Stoke, this must have been the song that no one knew the words to so most were mumbling along and out of tune

50 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

(What a great word 'seldom' is. I seldom use it and vow to do so more in future.)

A friend of a friend, on hearing that two people “are of one mind”, invariably responds that it makes them both half-wits

(File under ‘clever-sounding nonsense’ but it gets a laugh)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It would be great to have something original. Sargent’s on fire is embarrassing. Even USA,USA is better.

Wasn’t Sargent’s on fire started as a p*** take as many thought he was a duff signing ?

If I have remembered that correctly, definitely time to change it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, city4eva said:

I was at Stoke, this must have been the song that no one knew the words to so most were mumbling along and out of tune

I thought that was On the Ball City.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I had the first album by the Clash on yesterday and thought the chorus to Bored with the USA could very easily be made into a chant

Yesss. And great album.

7 hours ago, Serinus canaria said:

I have wondered this recently, apart from OTBC do we have any chants/songs unique to our fanbase? (Genuine interest and not a dig at our creativity!)

I think there have been some great chants this season (Salt n Pepa, Voulez Vous, that Sainz one...) but I've also heard them sung by the away fans and at other games (maybe not Salt n Pepa?).

Sadly nothing unique unless my Kenny Mclean chant gets off the ground:

To the tune of 'She bangs the drum' by The Stone Roses.....

'Have you seen or have you heard 

The way he plays there are no words 

To describe Kenny McLean 

He's the mayor of City Hall

Watch him pointing at the ball

Super Kenny, Kenny McLeeean 

Kenny McLeeean'

I'll get my coat.

7 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

My favourite one in German is the retort to their version of "new brooms sweep clean". A witty German will say "but the old ones know the corners".

Posted (edited)

My mind has gone completely blank-what tune is the Sainz song-Paella, Estrella?

(I’m not even going to mention how unlikely it is that someone from the Basque region would drink a beer that’s brewed in Barcelona).

Edited by Mr Angry
Added the bit in brackets

14 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

My mind has gone completely blank-what tune is the Sainz song-Paella, Estrella?

(I’m not even going to mention how unlikely it is that someone from the Basque region would drink a beer that’s brewed in Barcelona).

La Bamba - Ritchie Valens 👍

• Thanks 1