cambridgeshire canary

Why does Wagner always change a winning team?

So, we have McLean at centreback. Somehow this works fantastic and he does great, even holds a press conference in which he says how happy he is to play there.

The next match he's put in midfield.

We have Barnes and Sargent side by side up top for two games and we score 8 goals.

The next match Sargent gets put up top on his own and plays rather poor and does not score.

I'm starting to question Wagners tactics.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So, we have McLean at centreback. Somehow this works fantastic and he does great, even holds a press conference in which he says how happy he is to play there.

We have Barnes and Sargent side by side up top for two games and we score 8 goals.

The next match Sargent gets put up top on his own and plays rather poor and does not score.

Ah yes but the old codger was a 'bit fatigued' (polite description for 'knackered') and rather than play SVH we labour on with Sargent ploughing the lone furrow.

Barnes had a whole week off. For a professional athlete, even at 34, that should be ample time for rest and recovery. 

Sargent has gone from 'late call' last week to 90 mins playing up top on his own.

Additionally that Hanley/Gibbo combo is a bit hopeless for playing the ball out.

The simple fact is that he doesn’t ‘always make changes’ any more than Farke or, in particular, Lambert used to do - making tactical changes is sensible sometimes.  And it wasn’t the starting XI that was the issue yesterday - we were far better first half. 

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wagner changed the team that beat Watford 4-2 for the following game when we beat Cardiff 4-1. Is there any particular reason why you didn't start a thread moaning about him "changing a winning team" then?

(Something to do with the way the wind was blowing perhaps?). 

• Like 1

that is what i was left questioning last night ,

you have to keep a winning team unless someone is really tired and fatigued 

Sarge wonderful player and in great form ,

But you change things up if it is not working like yesterday ,

SVH must be Worse than Idah if not he will be kicking himself for joining us 

He’s changing the team to try and get us to win 3 consecutive games, something we will need to do to get in the play offs! 

By the time SVH is allowed near the team properly , his loan will have expired.

Sainz got the same treatment if you remember. Yes, I know there was a portion of this season where Sainz was injured but there was also a large portion after that where he was a perma-sub. Then the pressure to play him built to the point he was then brought in coincidence or not) from nowhere and the rest is history. 

Wagner is a strange guy I think. Hard to fathom.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

By the time SVH is allowed near the team properly , his loan will have expired.

Sainz got the same treatment if you remember. Yes, I know there was a portion of this season where Sainz was injured but there was also a large portion after that where he was a perma-sub. Then the pressure to play him built to the point he was then brought in coincidence or not) from nowhere and the rest is history. 

Wagner is a strange guy I think. Hard to fathom.

Sainz has been explained plenty, the general consensus is that he’s actually been managed well.  Of course, that is until we stop winning and then it becomes another stick to beat Wagner with. 

• Like 1

Barnes wasn't fit to start.

I've seen nothing to suggest Sydney can play that role. It's hardly Wagners fault that Knapper traded out a goalscoring match fit sub striker with an unmatch fit striker who doesn't on the face of it look a suitable replacement for either Sargent or Barnes attributes.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sainz has been explained plenty, the general consensus is that he’s actually been managed well.  Of course, that is until we stop winning and then it becomes another stick to beat Wagner with. 

I must’ve missed that explanation. I do apologise.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Starting? A bit late with that are you not?😮

He’s absolutely guessing and faffing about. He’s got no idea how he’s got to this point tbh. Never seen a a manger like him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Barnes wasn't fit to start.

I've seen nothing to suggest Sydney can play that role. It's hardly Wagners fault that Knapper traded out a goalscoring match fit sub striker with an unmatch fit striker who doesn't on the face of it look a suitable replacement for either Sargent or Barnes attributes.

No fans have seen anything of Sydney, because he's only made brief appearances as a sub. Unless you get a special pass to watch him in training. So I'm not quite sure on what evidence  your line about him not being a "suitable replacement" for Sargent or Barnes is coming from... You might end up being correct, but you can't possibly say at this point.

(And that goalscoring match fit sub striker has clearly been so impressive at Celtic that he gets another chance to impress off the bench today against the mighty Motherwell.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

“I’ve seen nothing to suggest”… The guy has played a handful of minutes. Hardly time to show what he can do in this team.

And if he was a bad signing, surely Wagner was involved in that decision somewhere along the line. I start to wonder if this is another Batth.

39 minutes ago, Grando said:

No fans have seen anything of Sydney, because he's only made brief appearances as a sub. Unless you get a special pass to watch him in training. So I'm not quite sure on what evidence  your line about him not being a "suitable replacement" for Sargent or Barnes is coming from... You might end up being correct, but you can't possibly say at this point.

(And that goalscoring match fit sub striker has clearly been so impressive at Celtic that he gets another chance to impress off the bench today against the mighty Motherwell.)

34 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

“I’ve seen nothing to suggest”… The guy has played a handful of minutes. Hardly time to show what he can do in this team.

And if he was a bad signing, surely Wagner was involved in that decision somewhere along the line. I start to wonder if this is another Batth.

I can go by the handful of minutes we have seen though and whilst he's clearly not match sharp there's zero to suggest he's capable of the sort of pressing Sargent does (his build alone tells you that). For a very tall guy his stats for winning aerial duels are pretty poor too, he wins less in the air on average (career, not at Norwich) than Ashley Barnes does. 

So of course, this could be completely wrong and he shows he's got a lot more once he's match sharp but research into him alongside the 20 odd minutes we've seen him play, that's the judgement so far!

55 minutes ago, Grando said:

Oh and he just scored for Celtic off the bench. Like he was doing regularly enough for us.

So coming up to the business end of the season and we are relying on just the 2 strikers. Great stuff Knapper 👏 

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh and he just scored for Celtic off the bench. Like he was doing regularly enough for us.

Twice!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Starting to???

You need to understand some people are happy with Wagner due to recent results I guess.  And most people on here can't fathom what Wagner is doing with tactics, team selection and substitions.  Just be happy in that whatever division we end up in Knappers mate from Arsenal will be here soon.  And take further comfort that Delia will soon be history and we can all begin to recognise the club we support and do it with gusto, unlike now.

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

you have to keep a winning team unless someone is really tired and fatigued

Do you? What if the attributes of opposing players in different parts of the pitch are so radically different one week to the next that the best choice player in one position one week isn't necessarily the best person for the job surrounded by different opposing players the following week? We don't have the same opponents every game after all.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

My gripe is that he dropped Mc Callum for Giannoulis. Sloppy play by Giannoulis led to the QPR goal and again yesterday sloppy play by Giannoulis led to the Blackburn goal. But if you have favourites that’s what counts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

My gripe is that he dropped Mc Callum for Giannoulis. Sloppy play by Giannoulis led to the QPR goal and again yesterday sloppy play by Giannoulis led to the Blackburn goal. But if you have favourites that’s what counts.

Dimi had a shocker, kept giving the ball away in dangerous areas (which as you say led to the corner that led to the goal). Although tbf, McCallum did the same after he came on at least once too.

The whole back four just looked lethargic and constantly invited pressure by not moving the ball quickly enough. Kenny not being present in defence probably didn’t help.

Even the most staunch supporter of the current regime has to ask why we have sent out a player on loan who scores and replaces him with a player not fit/ready 

We’ll leave the Binners bringing in a prem striker for another day. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

You need to understand some people are happy with Wagner due to recent results I guess.  And most people on here can't fathom what Wagner is doing with tactics, team selection and substitions.  Just be happy in that whatever division we end up in Knappers mate from Arsenal will be here soon.  And take further comfort that Delia will soon be history and we can all begin to recognise the club we support and do it with gusto, unlike now.

The 20%ers are going to win the long game and it’s about time the 80%ers realise they are on the wrong side of history.

21 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Even the most staunch supporter of the current regime has to ask why we have sent out a player on loan who scores and replaces him with a player not fit/ready 

We’ll leave the Binners bringing in a prem striker for another day. 

Yes, weakening the side mid-playoff push is bizarre. It only made sense if Sydney was some exceptional calibre of player above Idah..I'm not seeing that so far.

• Like 1

In defence of SvH, he may only have had 20 minutes or so on the pitch, but he has had a direct input into both of Fassnacht's goals with perfectly weighted balls to Stacey (for the cross that CF, or the defender bundled in) and to CF for his goal.

To be fair, nobody looks good when the opposition have the ball and they are chasing shadows, not Sargeant, nor Barnes, nor Idah.

Edited by Addick/Canary
  • Like 1