cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Rovers V Canaries*

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hopefully Wagner has got it right but Onel had his most effective game of the season last week and is dropped. 

I think if you change a team to suit the venue or opposition you put doubt in your players minds. 

Team always feels weaker with Barnes too too. He's always barking orders and leading from the front. Feels like losing a captain when he's off.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I know that the team line up there was the home match one. My obtuse point is just usually when a player is used as the player pictured in the introduction to a match thread they invariably don't actually start! 

Yep, I've noticed that too

I would like us to dominate the game throughout, but this feels a bit like keeping it tight, stay in the game and go for the win after the inevitable 60th minute subs.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I know that the team line up there was the home match one. My obtuse point is just usually when a player is used as the player pictured in the introduction to a match thread they invariably don't actually start! 

But yes, I'd stick with Sam, long term he must be a better player to invest time in than Dimi.

As I said. Wagner and club PR team working in harmony again.

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I hope we don't miss Barnes physicality. 

This. I’ve not been convinced of Barnes without Sargent but as a pair they work really well to unsettle opponent defences.

I’m not sure I get changing that element. Barnes basically dropped for Gibson then a reshuffle further forward feels odd given recent success.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

This. I’ve not been convinced of Barnes without Sargent but as a pair they work really well to unsettle opponent defences.

I’m not sure I get changing that element. Barnes basically dropped for Gibson then a reshuffle further forward feels odd given recent success.

Barnes not really dropped, he's been feeling stiff and struggled to train properly this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The tinkerman has done it again.. Why does it feel like he changes our back four every match? Clearly never heard anyone talk about not changing a winning team..

And if mclean played so well in defence, again why change it and bring Gibson back. So frustrating but hoping for 3 points

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

GHG2dJrXwAE_Isb?format=jpg&name=900x900

GHG4AX4XEAEfl3G?format=jpg&name=small

Totally off topic but these graphics look jarring to me next to each other, like they are from different decades.

• Like 1

We're not allowed to criticise Wagner are we? But boy, i feel very uncertain over his choices here. Never change a winning side they say, don't they?

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

We're not allowed to criticise Wagner are we? But boy, i feel very uncertain over his choices here. Never change a winning side they say, don't they?

Well if Barnes isn't fit to start it's what it is, ultimately.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Barnes not really dropped, he's been feeling stiff and struggled to train properly this week.

Ah fair enough if he’s not up to starting, that’s a shame as he’s been excellent recently.

31 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Once again he fiddles about with the team 

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The tinkerman has done it again.. Why does it feel like he changes our back four every match? Clearly never heard anyone talk about not changing a winning team..

Possibly and in fact quite probably out of necessity. Perhaps have a bit more faith in the squad as a whole?

Just now, Monty13 said:

Ah fair enough if he’s not up to starting, that’s a shame as he’s been excellent recently.

Yeah it's a miss, as you said before him and Sargent together link up fantastically.

Last few games suggest that Wagner does indeed know best…so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt ( until 5!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah it's a miss, as you said before him and Sargent together link up fantastically.

The swap of Gibson and him makes perfect sense now. Assuming Hernandez is struggling as well otherwise that one seems harsh.

Szmodics became a dad this morning, but still starts for Blackburn, bet his missus is delighted 😅

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Can criticise Shef, but I think we need to wait for context. If Barnes is struggling things changing in the central spine start to make sense. 

Less convinced on dropping Hernandez and McCallum unless there’s similar context, but the guys winning games so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me personally.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Surely that can’t be right - it suggests the changes aren’t just for the sake of it!

IMO the starting XI looks ok - hopefully we have enough to see off Blackburn, we were poor in the first game and owe them one.

On Dimi/Sam and Fass/Onel, am sure that the players left out of the starting XI will come on later. With five subs it really is a squad game now, especially given what Wagner's system asks from his wide players. Not sure it makes a huge difference who starts and who comes on.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Lose this and we're 4 off play-offs. Could be season defining (or is that just hyperbole?)

that's the spirit

But you're right, it's a huge game, especially with two pretty tough games against Sunderland and Middlesbrough next up. Really feels like a must-win to me.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well if Barnes isn't fit to start it's what it is, ultimately.

Fair enough if true, but then why have him on bench, not Aboh. Barnes may be used now if we're losing and need to rough them up. 🤔

17 minutes ago, River End Rocker said:

I can never understand why we persist in having an all green away kit. Hardly conducive to being able to pick out your teammates. 

Yep, really derailed our season in 03/04. We might have won the league if not for that away kit! 🤔🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Szmodics became a dad this morning, but still starts for Blackburn, bet his missus is delighted 😅

You know what comes next? ACN!

We owe this lot one for the home game in November - I really expected Wagner to be gone after that match. Wouldn’t be surprised if we did them today by the same scoreline. Come on lads.