What are really poor show they are putting on this year

Very similar to our most recent appearances in the premier league and would also be my worry if this squad actually got promoted 

Yes, it is not like there is any money is there, apart from the £120m that is.

Though as a binboy you would NOT know much about PL TV money, would you.

Or winning a trophy either, 34 years ago, I believe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Think you'll find it was a lot longer than that, Bill!😉

To be fair, if this squad got promoted then I wouldn't expect us to do any better than we did on our last couple of attempts.

Hopefully a more forward-thinking head coach, a renewed focus on nurturing and blooding youth, and a little bit of dollar from the man in Milwaukee could give us hope of a sustainable spell in the top tier.

I know Waveney's a troll and all that, but this Sheffield United side does look similarly limp and bereft to the Norwich one that got buried after lockdown in 2020, and then waved the white flag under Deano two years later.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

The difference is that this Sheff Utd side is nasty and thuggish, as is every Sheffield team I have seen over the years. At least we tried to play football and failed; they are trying to injure their opponents and still fail.

39 minutes ago, norwich canary said:

What are really poor show they are putting on this year

Very similar to our most recent appearances in the premier league and would also be my worry if this squad actually got promoted 

I noted your absence earlier due to the result this weekend. Nice to see your nasty little imagination has found something to comment on!

8 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

The difference is that this Sheff Utd side is nasty and thuggish, as is every Sheffield team I have seen over the years. At least we tried to play football and failed; they are trying to injure their opponents and still fail.

That Holgate seems a nice lad.🤬

Writing was on the wall after the summer- selling Ndiaye and Berge was never going to help and then spending north of £20m on Archer after a good half season in the Championship was also madness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not at all that similar to us - and I definitely don’t recall us losing 8-0 at home. 

Different style of football, granted (well, very different to Farke's style, at least). I still haven't forgotten how woeful we looked, though; still smarts when I look back on it.

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not at all that similar to us - and I definitely don’t recall us losing 8-0 at home. 

We managed 7-0, didn't we? Although admittedly away from home.

Edited by canarydan23

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Watching Sheff Utd this afternoon brought back horrible memories!

That was my feeling watching it as well and a dread for this squad as well

Great moment in Wilders interview on Talksport when the interviewer created a hybrid striker from the two injured one's. Cameron Archer and Ben Brereton Diaz are injured and Wilder was asked "what are the chances of getting Cameron Diaz back?".

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Great moment in Wilders interview on Talksport when the interviewer created a hybrid striker from the two injured one's. Cameron Archer and Ben Brereton Diaz are injured and Wilder was asked "what are the chances of getting Cameron Diaz back?".

Look, we'd all love a sequel to the Mask but Wilder isn't best positioned to make it happen right now.

Edited by king canary

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

We managed 7-0, didn't we? Although admittedly away from home.

And that result flattered us. We probably deserved to break the 9-0 record that day, and Chelsea didn’t get out of first gear. It’s possibly the most woeful display I’ve ever seen from a Norwich team 

People talk about their doubts about this squad but we keep talking about Sargent, Sara, Sainz, Gunn and Rowe being stolen by Premier league clubs. Add in a few of our players who have played in the PL before and buy two or three - we *could* make a fist of it. Believe!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

Good to see another poster who for some ridiculous reason thinks a Norwich season ticket holder who attends also virtually every single away game is a ' binboy ' .

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

People talk about their doubts about this squad but we keep talking about Sargent, Sara, Sainz, Gunn and Rowe being stolen by Premier league clubs. Add in a few of our players who have played in the PL before and buy two or three - we *could* make a fist of it. Believe!

It would need 4-5 good solid players added to it, and a lot of luck in regards to key players not getting injured but there’s no reason we couldn’t make a fist of it. You never know which sides will thrive or fail until the season starts 

1 minute ago, Fen Canary said:

It would need 4-5 good solid players added to it, and a lot of luck in regards to key players not getting injured but there’s no reason we couldn’t make a fist of it. You never know which sides will thrive or fail until the season starts 

We would only need to be fourth worst and build from there.

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good to see another poster who for some ridiculous reason thinks a Norwich season ticket holder who attends also virtually every single away game is a ' binboy ' .

Sad isn’t it! Tow the party line or else you’re a Binner by some!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We lost 7-0 away at Chelsea.

Both us and Utd sold their best players.

Both have gone about transfers poorly.

Both sacked managers to appoint the wrong person. 

The comparisons between us and them are undeniable. 

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry but that entire back line would need replacing! We would need depth of squad for injuries too!

You need a lot of luck on the injury front too, consistency in the team and I agree we have the same chance as we had when we went up under Lambert.

The reality is I would hope we make a better fist of it, but like Sheffield have sold their best player, when we went up last time we sold our gem! Buendia and paid for it.

I hope that we make a good go of the championship this season, but I’m not overly bothered of getting up this year! I’d much rather focus on building without selling the best players! And there is the big conundrum, our better players want to be playing top flight football! So we need promotion to keep them! 

17 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We lost 7-0 away at Chelsea.

Both us and Utd sold their best players.

Both have gone about transfers poorly.

Both sacked managers to appoint the wrong person. 

The comparisons between us and them are undeniable. 

Complete and utter crap.  The minute I think we are like Sheff U is the minute I give up on the game. We are nothing alike - they are a thuggish side supported by thuggish Neanderthals.  We are as unlike as you can get.  That they have struggled this year has sod all to do with being like us, and far more to do with the ridiculous state of the game.

And just how is an 8-0 loss at home to Newcastle the same as a 7-0 defeat at the European Champions?

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, if this squad got promoted then I wouldn't expect us to do any better than we did on our last couple of attempts.

Hopefully a more forward-thinking head coach, a renewed focus on nurturing and blooding youth, and a little bit of dollar from the man in Milwaukee could give us hope of a sustainable spell in the top tier.

But then our current coach stayed up with Huddersfield beyond all expectations, so would changing the coach even be a good idea? 

Might be best to see if he can pull it off again even if we stink out the place, then brutally sack him after the first season (like Bournemouth did with Gary O'Neill). 

54 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Complete and utter crap.  The minute I think we are like Sheff U is the minute I give up on the game. We are nothing alike - they are a thuggish side supported by thuggish Neanderthals.  We are as unlike as you can get.  That they have struggled this year has sod all to do with being like us, and far more to do with the ridiculous state of the game.

And just how is an 8-0 loss at home to Newcastle the same as a 7-0 defeat at the European Champions?

It's not about opinions you utter spanner. It's fact. The course of Sheffield Utd's season bares remarkable resemblance to our own. If you don't want to acknowledge this because of some deep seated, unexplainable hatred for Sheffield Utd ("The minute I think we are like Sheff U is the minute I give up on the game" - what a ****ing weirdo you can be) that's your problem. 

8-0 is a big loss. Like 7-0. Regardless of who it's against. 

Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

There's a lot about what we do now under Wagner that would actually translate quite well to PL football. The quick transitions, a few players who can run with the ball, athletic fullbacks who can get up and down the pitch all game, a threat from set pieces and a big striker who can hold the ball up. 

But unfortunately our defence is still miles off and is at best average for Championship level so we'd ship goals for fun in the PL. Some of it is structural and some of it is individual quality but if we did go up and kept most of the same personnel our strengths wouldn't count for much when we'd concede so many goals. If we do go up I'd spend everything we have on 2 quality CB's and a big upgrade on Nunez/McLean and just hope everyone stays fit instead of the scattergun approach we'went for last time. We could obviously do with upgrades in other positions but for me it's clear where our weakness is and if we could keep the ball out of our own net enough I think we'd have enough threat on the break and from set pieces to score goals. We'd still probably be the weakest team in the league but if we're smart about how we approach it and get our share of luck you never know. 

There's still a long way to go and Leeds/Southampton/Scum would be a hell of a hurdle to overcome in the play offs if we even make them so I'm not getting ahead of myself but it's nice to be thinking along these lines again. 

• Like 2

I think what's more concerning for anyone observing the gulf in quality between The Championship and Premier League, is how Burnley are doing. Absolutely walked the league last season and are massively struggling. Kind of puts our attempts to stay up recently into perspective.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It's not about opinions you utter spanner. It's fact. The course of Sheffield Utd's season bares remarkable resemblance to our own. If you don't want to acknowledge this because of some deep seated, unexplainable hatred for Sheffield Utd ("The minute I think we are like Sheff U is the minute I give up on the game" - what a ****ing weirdo you can be) that's your problem. 

8-0 is a big loss. Like 7-0. Regardless of who it's against. 

Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

Wow, you really are a bit of a ****, aren’t you.  It is absolutely about opinions, you are simply not correct IN MY OPINION.   You’re entitled to yours, but it is wrong IN MY OPINION.  The “similarities” aren’t fact: “getting in the wrong manager” is an opinion, as is “selling their best players”.  And 8-0 at home is not the same as 7-0 away to the European champions…that’s a FACT, not even an opinion.

As for why you bother: don’t, we’ll both be far happier.

27 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

I think what's more concerning for anyone observing the gulf in quality between The Championship and Premier League, is how Burnley are doing. Absolutely walked the league last season and are massively struggling. Kind of puts our attempts to stay up recently into perspective.

Which was kind-of my point, utterly missed by my new best friend.