By Hook or Ian crook

The Old Farm Derby ranked 17th

Clickbait, so don’t click on it!

Who was the referee who said it was one of the tastiest games he ever ref’d?

Edited by Nuff Said

Well it is at Poorman Road half the time, so that would account for the low ranking 

People who aren't from round these parts don't understand... Look at hucks, holty etc. Didn't realize how big it is until being involved in one. 

Who really cares - to each set of supporters the ‘derby’ is their most looked-forward to game. It doesn’t matter if it is us/binners or Rangers/Celtic.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Who really cares - to each set of supporters the ‘derby’ is their most looked-forward to game. It doesn’t matter if it is us/binners or Rangers/Celtic.

Exactly - quite how anybody who doesn't support either side in a derby thinks they can judge is beyond me.

21 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Exactly - quite how anybody who doesn't support either side in a derby thinks they can judge is beyond me.

Well, I don’t support either Celtic or Rangers but can recognise it’s the top British derby on nearly every metric. 

Hard to split a lot in the list. East Midlands and Steel City derbies are usually crackers. I wouldn’t have the Merseyside Derby that high, and a few that haven’t been played for a while or regularly enough, like West Ham Millwall or  the South Coast derby.. 

I actually love watching derbies as a neutral! The FA cup has brought a couple of big ones together this year.. it certainly helps sell that.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

North London, Merseyside and Manchester debies are not particularly ferocious. They're just in there because they involve big clubs. The rest of the list could be put in any order and it wouldn't be right/wrong. They're all big derbies (bar the three mentioned).

We are 40 miles apart, in Birmingham two clubs a half-full beer can's throw apart they argue and even fight in pubs, on street corners in factories and offices, in the schools and even at the school gates over the rivalry.

I expect Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield might experience similar.

A Birmingham City fan attacked Jack Grealish on the pitch recently, this would never happen at either Carrow Road or Portman Road. 

The Old Farm Rivalry is fierce and has led to conflict on match days, but the distance makes it rather unique. It is always at arms length and more or less confined to the internet and for the most part not in everyday life.

They might toss the occasional turnip at each other across the county boundary, I suppose.

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We are 40 miles apart, in Birmingham two clubs a half-full beer can's throw apart they argue and even fight in pubs, on street corners in factories and offices, in the schools and even at the school gates over the rivalry.

I expect Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield might experience similar.

A Birmingham City fan attacked Jack Grealish on the pitch recently, this would never happen at either Carrow Road or Portman Road. 

The Old Farm Rivalry is fierce and has led to conflict on match days, but the distance makes it rather unique. It is always at arms length and more or less confined to the internet and for the most part not in everyday life.

They might toss the occasional turnip at each other across the county boundary, I suppose.

I disagree profoundly with this. That is the exact reason the hatred is so acute. We (generally) don't work together, have mates who support the enemy, family members etc... we don't see each other, so the hatred is never softened/normalised by knowing the people. Of course there are some examples where this is not the case, but on Merseyside for example, there are siblings where one is red and the other is blue.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I disagree profoundly with this. That is the exact reason the hatred is so acute. We (generally) don't work together, have mates who support the enemy, family members etc... we don't see each other, so the hatred is never softened/normalised by knowing the people. Of course there are some examples where this is not the case, but on Merseyside for example, there are siblings where one is red and the other is blue.

Because Merseyside is a made up one by Sky. Was always nothing, until recent times.

20 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Very wise post. Never thought of it like that.

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That's a good point, but doesn't really dispute my own. I spent fifteen years working in the Birmingham area and in that time witnessed several unpleasant scenes. Usually between youngsters, but not always. Usually with drink, but not always.

Of course these are extremes, the same as the Grealish attack, but for some the football rivalry was observed without fun, in greater depth and with greater nastiness than just banter. The recent incident at the Hawthorns would never happen at an Old Farm Derby, imo, although I am told that an actual pitch invasion occurred at Portman Road once when some sand was sprinkled on ice at Portman Road.

Then, it is always the extremists and the immature that cause violence at football grounds in any case.  Individuals who are in need of any excuse for tribal violence and cause the need for segregation within the stadia and on the routes to them.

Then again, is there really "acute hatred" within most City or ITFC supporters?

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes. Perhaps the same re: extremes.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's a good point, but doesn't really dispute my own. I spent fifteen years working in the Birmingham area and in that time witnessed several unpleasant scenes. Usually between youngsters, but not always. Usually with drink, but not always.

Of course these are extremes, the same as the Grealish attack, but for some the football rivalry was observed without fun, in greater depth and with greater nastiness than just banter. The recent incident at the Hawthorns would never happen at an Old Farm Derby, imo, although I am told that an actual pitch invasion occurred at Portman Road once when some sand was sprinkled on ice at Portman Road.

Then, it is always the extremists and the immature that cause violence at football grounds in any case.  Individuals who are in need of any excuse for tribal violence and cause the need for segregation within the stadia and on the routes to them.

Then again, is there really "acute hatred" within most City or ITFC supporters?

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes. Perhaps the same re: extremes.

I get your point, but I think what you're saying is that other fanbases have a worse hooligan element than us or the binners, which is probably true, but it doesn't mean that derby means any more or any less to the fanbase as a whole. Every derby is intense, passionate, nerve-wracking, horrible and sometimes amazing... I think any on that list could be in any order bar the three I mentioned previously which are manufactured by Sky because they're between big clubs in big cities and its an easy sell. Take those three out and the rest are all great, violence or no violence.

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

, but doesn't really dispute my own. I spent fifteen years working in the Birmingham area and in that time witnessed several unpleasant scenes.

I think @Worthy Nigelton's point is an excellent one, always what I've thought. The truth that dare not speak its name is that NCFC and ITFC are quite similar, family friendly clubs who can each see the other as sc*m (always hated that word) because they only see each other on derby day.

But on the Birmingham rivalry, I went to a NatWest final at Lord's one year and saw a Villa and Birmingham fan in replica shirts get into a scuffle at the bar. They were supporting the same team (Warwickshire) in the cricket. Idiots.

• Thanks 1

The East Anglian Derby is so intense because it has been going on for so long. It is ingrained into the population that  we dislike the other county. Nothing to do with Norwich or Ipswich of course. All about the county.

I used to work on the border amongst the farmers and it was not unusual for them not to employ somebody because they lived on the "Wrong side of the Water". (For the thick that means the Waveney/Ouse rivers).

Those that live and work with only yellow and green or blue and white colleagues will not know or feel  the intense rivalry between the two. Those of us that live in the twilight of that disputed region,  "half and half",  feel it immensely.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Perhaps it's only ranked 17th because it's so one sided.

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

According to a report in 2008, the old farm derby ranked 2nd in England 

Case closed.

I’m not certain that West Ham v Millwall is ‘the’ Derby for either of these clubs. Living in north London I get the impression that Spurs v The Iron has all the elements. Of course Palace is not far from Millwall, nor is Charlton, often slightly overlooked. Arsenal derived from south London, Woolwich. 
I once attended (late 80s) a West Ham v M’Wall game, I lived in west London, and went in with the visitors nervously. It was post Hillsboro so although tense it wasn’t as febrile as I had expected. At the end of the game we were all matched to the tube station. I tried unsuccessfully to break Police lines and get a bus. We were all crammed into a tube train which then proceeded to go direct with stopping at any stations to my dismay. The train eventually stopped and we were all ordered off, maybe London Bridge. We all emerged out of the station, where flanks of Police were waiting, and I realised I had no choice, I had to cross the river. A copper saw me hesitating, and shouted “F off to South London”!

• Haha 1

On 31/01/2024 at 19:54, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Well, I don’t support either Celtic or Rangers but can recognise it’s the top British derby on nearly every metric. 

Yep.

And Newcastle v Sunderland is the biggest UK one I feel, closely followed by Liverpool v Everton.

Once upon a time Arsenal v Spurs was a big one, but now all the Londoners have moved out to Kent and Essex and their stadiums are full of Japanese tourists, its not real football anymore.

Biggest in Championship right now would be Cardiff v Swansea, comfortably, followed by Norwich v Ipswich.