Interesting detail in this piece. Just a reminder that the players are human beings and you don't know what they might be dealing with off the pitch. 

Wishing him and his family all the best.

He has been combining football with hospital visits to see his baby daughter, born prematurely last month.

"It [the goal] was a nice moment for me and my family, I'm super proud of all of them," he told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"Our little girl is doing really well, she'll hopefully be out of hospital soon, she's been in in intensive care at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, they're absolutely wonderful there.

"It has been tough at times, getting the balance between being at home with my son and being at hospital by the incubator, and also trying to be the best professional I can be to perform well on the pitch for the club that pays me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68126654

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Yes must be difficult for him to deal with. Reading between the lines he was probably not injured in early December when he missed a few games. Let’s hope the days of his name being booed when announced are over.

• Like 5

My son spent a week in hospital including a spell in intensive care when he was two months old- it was absolutely impossible to focus on anything else so fair play to him for even being able to get to training let alone play. Fingers crossed for them all.

• Like 5

Why don't we give him a big round of applause when his names read out on Saturday and give him there's only 1 Ben Gibson, show the man some love support and appreciation. He might not be the best cb we've seen at cr but to be fair to him he's a decent bloke and always gives his all. At least he doesn't score as many own goals as Duffy 🤣

• Like 17

Yeah, he's had a rough time and I'm pleased he's come out and talked about it a bit. He's also played well recently and even at the beginning of the season was out-performing Duffy until injury. Of course, once fan's have made up their mind, that's it for most.

9 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Why don't we give him a big round of applause when his names read out on Saturday and give him there's only 1 Ben Gibson, show the man some love support and appreciation. He might not be the best cb we've seen at cr but to be fair to him he's a decent bloke and always gives his all. At least he doesn't score as many own goals as Duffy 🤣

Absolutely we should. At the very least the dim wits who booed his name at the last home match and / or slag him off relentlessly should shut up and give their boring jibes a rest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Absolutely we should. At the very least the dim wits who booed his name at the last home match and / or slag him off relentlessly should shut up and give their boring jibes a rest.

The fans that booed him being subbed on the pitch that game should f*ck off and support someone else.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Absolutely agree with this. I think it would be a great touch from the fans ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The fans that booed him being subbed on the pitch that game should f*ck off and support someone else.

It was a complete joke wasn't it, and showed how low our fans had sunk around that time. I doubt they will have the ability to reflect on what Gibson was going through and in hindsight think about whether or not that was a stupid thing to do and show some respect now, but I hope so.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Seconded 

• Thanks 1

We don't know the full medical details regarding his baby, however,  many have lived through that situation when a baby is in neonatal care for weeks after birth and other children have to be looked after.

It maybe a new experience for him & all consuming, we don't know.

I've never got the criticism towards him. He's a decent centre half at this level as shown in Farke's second title win (when he had a good CDM in front of him).

Wishing him and his family all the best.

• Like 4

Might be better to do one of those things in the 6 minute (that is his squad number is t it?) - assuming he starts of course. Most people join in with those regardless so there’ll be bigger buy in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

many have lived through that situation when a baby is in neonatal care for weeks after birth and other children have to be looked after.

Well yeah, it would have been a new experience for him as it was his second child. When the first one was born there weren't any other children to look after?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

many have lived through that situation when a baby is in neonatal care for weeks after birth and other children have to be looked after.

Yes we do, or at least some of us do, Jonny.

• He is a loving husband
  • He is a loving father
  • He is responsible for a scrap of helpless human life in trouble
  • He is a professional footballer

Arrange those in whatever order you see fit. I see a good man in extremis.

My best,

Don

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don J Demorr said:

• He is a loving husband
  • He is a loving father

My best,

Don

I'm a bit confused, you seem to have quoted me but with somebodies else's words. I think you are replying to Number 9?

Your post doesn't seem to relate in any way to anything I've said?

8 hours ago, nu_matik said:

It was a complete joke wasn't it, and showed how low our fans had sunk around that time. I doubt they will have the ability to reflect on what Gibson was going through and in hindsight think about whether or not that was a stupid thing to do and show some respect now, but I hope so.

It’s awful to think our so called supporters did this … and even worse in light of what he and his family are going through.

These players are human and never should we boo our own players when they come on… full stop.  Supporters should realise this will do nothing to improve anything.

11 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Yes must be difficult for him to deal with. Reading between the lines he was probably not injured in early December when he missed a few games. 

His injury was announced in early November and the baby was born three months early on December 17, so I think the injury was genuine.

Incredibly, his first game back for us after the injury was on December 23, less than a week after the birth, which must've been incredibly tough given what he was going through. 

I doubt the fans who booed him that day had any idea just how committed he must have been to be available that day, as he didn't announce his daughter's birth until Christmas Eve.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

'm a bit confused, you seem to have quoted me but with somebodies else's words. I think you are replying to Number 9?

Your post doesn't seem to relate in any way to anything I've said?

So sorry, @JonnyJonnyRowe if I have misquoted you. You are right, you quoted @Number 9 and I failed to notice that. Normally I agree with what you say. I am deeply moved by Mr Gibson's troubles. It is most unfair that he is treated so badly. My apologies again.

Don

Edited by Don J Demorr
Correction
  • Thanks 1

He clearly can't concentrate and would not benefit himself or the team by playing. Management should do the right thing and take him out of the firing line and give him leave.

10 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Those who booed him the other week are a disgrace. Keep going Ben.

That would be the case whether or whether not he had family issues.

He is of course a decent defender at Championship level, his main problem is that he often displays overmuch hesitancy and more than most when having to play from the back. He often makes me nervous, for a start. Neither is he a particularly commanding figure at the back, or at least doesn't seem to be, from the screen. Fans like a Malky figure or even a Hanley.

I also feel the stories about him being the highest paid player on the pay-roll damage his cause.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I also feel the stories about him being the highest paid player on the pay-roll damage his cause.

Yes this won't have helped his cause.

He's an average Championship centre back in my view, which is no disgrace and we're a slightly above average Championship team, however his rumoured fee was £8m and it is fully believable that he's the highest earner now that Pukki and Krul have departed, and so its not unfair to say that he's not value for money.

That said, if a contract offer is made then it will clearly be at a price we can afford to pay and involve a significant pay cut, so I won't grumble if he is offered something and he stays. He does have the benefit of being left footed which is hard to find on the market and we have other priorities to recruit for.

17 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Well yeah, it would have been a new experience for him as it was his second child. When the first one was born there weren't any other children to look after?

Apologies Jonny, I seem to have given you the wrong idea. 

We don't know if Ben has been through a situation with a baby in ICU.

It's a unique experience, I don't want to teach you suck eggs if you have experienced it, but those who have lived through it will tell you it consumes much of your time, energy and concentration. 

It will be a challenge for him going to work & doing his job.

7 hours ago, Six Pack said:

He clearly can't concentrate and would not benefit himself or the team by playing. Management should do the right thing and take him out of the firing line and give him leave.

Up to him and the club, not some random on the internet surely?

34 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Apologies Jonny, I seem to have given you the wrong idea. 

We don't know if Ben has been through a situation with a baby in ICU.

It's a unique experience, I don't want to teach you suck eggs if you have experienced it, but those who have lived through it will tell you it consumes much of your time, energy and concentration. 

It will be a challenge for him going to work & doing his job.

I've been there, and yes stressful and exhausting, especially as the mother needs respite so its a case of the parents doing shifts at the hospital. It was difficult enough for me with two weeks paternity and then doing a technical desk job and it would be a bigger challenge with a job which needs more physical exertion. 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Up to him and the club, not some random on the internet surely?

Well yes Gibson releasing his story publicly shows that the pressure is too much for him. We don't need any more excuses for poor performances, so put him on gardening leave !

9 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Well yes Gibson releasing his story publicly shows that the pressure is too much for him. We don't need any more excuses for poor performances, so put him on gardening leave !

Not necessarily, he might have put it out as a means of using his profile to support others in the same boat - they're not alone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Jesus f*ck.

Why don't you go back to complaining about how bad Gibson is as a CB, citing his goals scored as the reason? Overall, he's been our best CB this season. He'll likely be off at the end of the season, so assuming he moves he won't have time to keep having a go on your Mrs, so all will be good?

There's nothing to suggest the pressure is too much for him, since coming back from injury he's been in good form.

17 hours ago, Don J Demorr said:

• He is a loving husband
  • He is a loving father

My best,

Don

Reminds me of a quote from one of my favourite poets, namely Christian Morgenstern:

"Es ist schmerzlich, einem Menschen seine Grenze anzusehen", which basically means "it is painful to watch a person at their limit".