The Bristol Nest

Transfer Rumours- Jonathon Varane?

I’d not read anything into there being a release clause, those are just a negotiating tool.  It does seem odd that Paddy Davitt is so convinced it’s not a move for ‘now’ if it turns out to be. Perhaps if he is in the city he’s being schmoozed for a summer signing (but that itself feels a bit over the top).

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It does seem odd that Paddy Davitt is so convinced it’s not a move for ‘now’ if it turns out to be. 

What if we complete the signing but loan back to Gijon, who are in a promotion battle.

Would that tick that box?

Would be happy with that. But like when we signed Emi in the middle of the season ready for the next season.

40 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

What if we complete the signing but loan back to Gijon, who are in a promotion battle.

Would that tick that box?

It would be a slightly strange one, given we have limited resource and ought to be ticking the box for improving us “now”.  We are in the mix for the play-offs, however unlikely it may seem.

for us to make a signing now for next season  the player would have to have potential to be able to play in PL  as that's where we might be next season ,

No point signing a championship player for next season and if go up ,

it is the sort of limbo situation we are in at the moment ,

for the record i do not think we will go up but you never know in football 

Can't see the point in signing a player for next season as a) we don't know which division we'll be in and b) we might have a new Head Coach.

I don't want us signing anyone now unless they can hit the ground running, or a sh1t hot wonder kid. Varane is an off the bench bit part player in the Spanish 2nd Division.  

• Like 1

Despite the earlier reports that he was a mid- to long-term aspiration it seems we want a deal now:

City are pushing to sign the Frenchman before Thursday’s deadline and are in contact with his representatives as they look to thrash out a move to Carrow Road. 

On 27/01/2024 at 14:43, Capt. Pants said:

Can't see the point in signing a player for next season as a) we don't know which division we'll be in and b) we might have a new Head Coach.

I don't want us signing anyone now unless they can hit the ground running, or a sh1t hot wonder kid. Varane is an off the bench bit part player in the Spanish 2nd Division.  

Did alright with players of similar stature from the German 2nd division. I don't think any signings would be made with a Harry Redknapp back of a fag packet list and a conversation with the player's uncle's milkman. If anything is true it's probably over-analysed and strategised now.

5 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Did alright with players of similar stature from the German 2nd division. I don't think any signings would be made with a Harry Redknapp back of a fag packet list and a conversation with the player's uncle's milkman. If anything is true it's probably over-analysed and strategised now.

You’re forgetting the not small payment into his dog’s bank account….

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You’re forgetting the not small payment into his dog’s bank account….

Has Ben Knapper got a dog? No one asks the important questions in interviews these days.

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Despite the earlier reports that he was a mid- to long-term aspiration it seems we want a deal now:

City are pushing to sign the Frenchman before Thursday’s deadline and are in contact with his representatives as they look to thrash out a move to Carrow Road. 

Ignore the Pink'un boys. @Soldier on spotted there was action here from the Flighttracker work he did. The Pink'Un boys have been playing catch up ever since!

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2024 at 14:43, Capt. Pants said:

I guess the sporting director is the one consistent, league or coach can differ within any 12 months period, so I kinda disagree and think we should be recruiting to a longterm plan.

You only have to consider a player like Sara, bought in a Championship season but would've been a better acquisition than a lot of the obvious short-term signings we made in the prem league. 

• Like 1

I see a signing coming in being instrumental in persuading other players staying put. That is essential if the club feel promotion as a possibility.

Really is a big, big pressure on Wagner to sell the dream to current and new players. He might be very good behind the scenes in supporting the younger players and when the powers that be see this, how can they sack him? I've a feeling he will be here for another 12 months.

I don't agree with that but the manager is a big part in recruitment.

3 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Who’s on Flight Tracker watch ?? Would be nice to get one done to “give the lads a hand “

He’s already been, it was on twitter on Saturday 

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

"Thrash out a move"

We signing him at the disco?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Thrash out a move"

We signing him at the disco?

Murder on Varane's floor? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I watched the Tenerife - Gijon match last weekend while over there and he didn't make it onto the pitch.  Gijon looked decent though. CDT not so much 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

Any news on Varane?

Pink Un say Gijon have pulled the plug on the move. 

• Like 1

Translation of the Spanish article, sounds like they have pulled out as we’ve underbid. May all be tactics trying to get more but sounds pretty resounding.

“Sporting closes the 'Varane case', without contemplating its exit in this market. From June onwards, the situation will be seen. But today, the club is not in a position to negotiate the sale of the 22-year-old French midfielder to Norwich, who did not rule out the presentation of a last offensive in this end of the market, which ends on Thursday at midnight.

Sporting's thought is clear and resounding: Varane will not go out. There is satisfaction in how the squad has been configured, with alternatives, and the message that has been transmitted to all players is trustworthy. Saturday's Norwich offer, close to two million euros, is already rejected, prioritising keeping the group intact.

The thought is the same in the face of the possibility that a second attempt may arrive in these last days. Varane has a clause of 10 million euros.”

Edited by Monty13

Will be interesting if we have other targets  thought varane was interested in coming so that might change matters