Watch City’s UEFA Cup victory with Canary legends - Norwich City (canaries.co.uk)

£20 to gain entry to a pub with nothing for it other than a viewing of a game that those interested will have either been at or have the DVD. As for rubbing shoulders with Gunny or Darren that can be done anytime without coughing up £20 before you have even bought a pint served in a plastic glass.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Watch City’s UEFA Cup victory with Canary legends - Norwich City (canaries.co.uk)

£20 to gain entry to a pub with nothing for it other than a viewing of a game that those interested will have either been at or have the DVD. As for rubbing shoulders with Gunny or Darren that can be done anytime without coughing up £20 before you have even bought a pint served in a plastic glass.

Can we put you down as a 'no'?

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Can we put you down as a 'no'?

Absolutely.

Why the ' celebration ' of something that happened in October 1993, 30 years and 4 months after the event in February 2024. Call me old fashioned but did not the ship sail on this in October last year 2023 ?

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Would you have the same opinion if this was put on by the Norwich City Fans Social Club?  Just curious if this is aimed more at the club rather than the event itself.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why the ' celebration ' of something that happened in October 1993, 30 years and 4 months after the event in February 2024. Call me old fashioned but did not the ship sail on this in October last year 2023 ?

I think you're trying way too hard to find a negative angle, what's wrong with people going to a watch along if they want to?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

It’s this very thing that causes the Binboys to mock us, celebrating a victory over 30 years ago! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It’s this very thing that causes the Binboys to mock us, celebrating a victory over 30 years ago! 

You seem terribly worried about what the Binboys think.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Would you have the same opinion if this was put on by the Norwich City Fans Social Club?  Just curious if this is aimed more at the club rather than the event itself.

They would charge a fiver tops not twenty quid and hold it in a function room where beer is served in a proper glass plus the fiver goes to the CSF.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

I think you're trying way too hard to find a negative angle, what's wrong with people going to a watch along if they want to?

£20 is way over the top but if people are that easily parted help yourselves.

Obviously each to their own but it does make me cringe how much we go on about a victory in the second round of a European competition as if it was the greatest achievement around. I'd get it more if we were a team like Oldham or Swindon who spend most of their time in the lower leagues but had a brief trip to the upper echelons but we're a team with a rich history of top flight football. Do Middlesborough or Fulham (who made the final of this competition) do things like this?

It is this sort of thing that gives the impression of 'little old Norwich.' That won't bother some, it will bother others.

• Like 3

Each to their own of course, but it smacks a bit of the club forgetting about the 30 year anniversary. It's a bit late!

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is this sort of thing that gives the impression of 'little old Norwich.' That won't bother some, it will bother others.

Depends if you worry about being ridiculed for celebrating a certain era really, personally don't care one bit and I think it's good to show respect for those players and what they achieved in their era and so they can relive it an know they're not just a forgotten ex-player.

I have such fond memories of that European campaign and being a young lad travelling away, I wouldn't even consider the 'little norwich' mantra that could be associated, in fact, I find it sad to even think how someone forms that style of thinking.

That said, i'd be quite happy sat watching the 8-0 vs Sutton with Flecky etc attending.  I have some really fond memories of that day too, and it's not in any shape or form considerable in the grand scheme of things but i'm sure many others remember that match also.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

Obviously each to their own but it does make me cringe how much we go on about a victory in the second round of a European competition as if it was the greatest achievement around. I'd get it more if we were a team like Oldham or Swindon who spend most of their time in the lower leagues but had a brief trip to the upper echelons but we're a team with a rich history of top flight football. Do Middlesborough or Fulham (who made the final of this competition) do things like this?

Cringe is the word. If it was done quietly and without the ridiculous hyperbole of words like 'famous' and 'legends' it would be a bit more palatable as a pleasant evening watching a memorable game, rather than drawing attention to what could easily be described as a little tinpot event. But then, every few quid in the kitty helps I suppose.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, king canary said:

Obviously each to their own but it does make me cringe how much we go on about a victory in the second round of a European competition as if it was the greatest achievement around.

Likewise, acknowledged that we never got a fair crack at the European competitions because of Liverpool supporters at Heysel, but nevertheless its still rather cringeworthy everytime someone tries and wheels out the "we beat Bayern Munich once trophy".

Also like how our honours board at Carrow Road and our Matchday Programmes state "FA Cup semi finalists" like it's some sort of huge feat.

Edited by TheRock

The next feature to be shown in the Lion an' Castle will no doubt be our outstanding Victory over Man City a few years ago....

My memory of that game is the 3 banners that said Tom, **** and Harry. 

The name the Pinkun has censored is short for Richard and rhymes with nick

Edited by dylanisabaddog

This Bayern b*llocks has got to stop. Every single October we get the reminder about the "famous" victory anniversary, but no one gives a toss. Now to have a late anniversary dinner whilst watching the game smacks of cringey little old Norwich, just as bad as celebrating defeat to Inter Milan in the 3rd round with a 25th anniversary game vs their legends team. Why do we do this? No other club is that obsessed with something which in reality is so insignificant - we didn't win the damn trophy, or even get close. 

All of this of course is on the same level of cringe as having "participants" for the UEFA cup on our honours board in the match programme - something the binners will never let us forget. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The name the Pinkun has censored is short for Richard and rhymes with nick

Rick shouldn't be censored, you sure that's what it is?

51 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Rick shouldn't be censored, you sure that's what it is?

Oh alright. It starts with a D😂

As in Cambridge 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The question this begs is

whether the numbers will be higher for this event than your 'waving my phone' protest  ?

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Depends if you worry about being ridiculed for celebrating a certain era really, personally don't care one bit and I think it's good to show respect for those players and what they achieved in their era and so they can relive it an know they're not just a forgotten ex-player.

I have such fond memories of that European campaign and being a young lad travelling away, I wouldn't even consider the 'little norwich' mantra that could be associated, in fact, I find it sad to even think how someone forms that style of thinking.

That said, i'd be quite happy sat watching the 8-0 vs Sutton with Flecky etc attending.  I have some really fond memories of that day too, and it's not in any shape or form considerable in the grand scheme of things but i'm sure many others remember that match also.

I think this goes beyond showing respect for that era and players though.

We treat this like it is the biggest achievement in the clubs history when it is, all in all, an impressive win in the early stages of a European competition. We've won cups. We've won the Championship on several different occasions in my lifetime. The elevation of this particular game over and above everything is just a bit weird at this point. 

A quick check shows Bayern have lost European games to BATE Borisov, Basel, Brondby, IFK Goteborg, Rostov, Hearts etc etc. I wonder if these clubs all have 'watch alongs' of these famous victories 30 years after they happened?

2 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

This Bayern b*llocks has got to stop. Every single October we get the reminder about the "famous" victory anniversary, but no one gives a toss. Now to have a late anniversary dinner whilst watching the game smacks of cringey little old Norwich, just as bad as celebrating defeat to Inter Milan in the 3rd round with a 25th anniversary game vs their legends team. Why do we do this? No other club is that obsessed with something which in reality is so insignificant - we didn't win the damn trophy, or even get close. 

All of this of course is on the same level of cringe as having "participants" for the UEFA cup on our honours board in the match programme - something the binners will never let us forget. 

This is not a late anniversary dinner Alex as £20 just gets you entry into the pub.

4 minutes ago, RobJames said:

The question this begs is

whether the numbers will be higher for this event than your 'waving my phone' protest  ?

From what i have been reading it appears only you doing the begging at every opportunity that arises as i believe i saw it mentioned yesterday somewhere but mind you it does allow you to continue indulging in poster baiting which is plainly a favourite occupation of yours.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think this goes beyond showing respect for that era and players though.

We treat this like it is the biggest achievement in the clubs history when it is, all in all, an impressive win in the early stages of a European competition.

But you're applying what it means today where clubs don't give two ****s unless they're in a final, and it really wasn't like that back then.  It was a big deal, and unknown territory for us.  As a fan it felt big-time and surreal even to go to those places and see us walking out on the pitch.

It also felt like this was the new standard, coming off the back of the new prem league season and finishing top 3.  Chanting super Norwich back then felt like it meant something and that you truly could take on anyone.

But also, specific to this European run, you have to remember that this was in an era of 4 TV channels, and we found ourselves being advertised before and after prime time shows.   I think other British teams had fallen out early and it left us flying the flag for the country in Europe so all attention moved over to us.   It's not like today where it's hidden away on some TNT channel.

So for me it is a really important reminder that we were at the top, and competing in Europe, and i'm not going to be put off celebrating it cause some t**t online thinks it makes us appear 'little', as that's bs and just lazy banter.   (I don't mean you in that by the way, I mean opposing fans).

Edited by Google Bot